Author Topic: Jacob Townsend [merged]  (Read 126990 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers secure Jacob Townsend [update]
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2015, 02:55:38 PM »
Player manager Winston Rous has already helped seal a move for another Giant this Trade Period, with tough inside midfielder Jacob Townsend and pick 120 going to Richmond in exchange for pick 70.

"It's a very good opportunity for Jacob … they identified him a fair way out," Rous said.

"Probably their best season of late was maybe 2013 when Dan Jackson won their best and fairest. Probably since that time they've maybe lacked a bit of grunt on the inside, that real enforcer-type role.

"Jacob through his 20 games of AFL football is something he's really shown, he's really aggressive, a strong tackler and he'll give Cotchin and the likes a chop out."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-20/blues-move-closer-to-securing-four-giants-in-one-swoop

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2015, 02:55:08 AM »
Should get a medal if he puts grigg in the twos
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:26 AM »
Who won the Townsend trade?

Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Source: SportsFan
Author: Ben Hocking

The big question

One of the least visible trades done so far this exchange period involves the move of Jacob Townsend from GWS to Richmond in exchange for the Tigers' fourth-round draft pick (currently pick No.70). The Tigers are no strangers to spotting unwanted GWS talent, having picked up Giants discard Anthony Miles in the 2013 draft. They obviously haven't paid a high price for Townsend, but have they got another success story or have they bought a list-clogger?

Giants win

This is a difficult one to spin. Townsend only played one game for the Giants this year and the club was genuinely trying to find him a new club so that he could continue his career, rather than being cut and disappear into obscurity. It is the sort of list management that holds you in good stead with players and player managers, who can see you care about their welfare, rather than picking players up, using them and throwing them on the scrap heap when they are no longer required. It is hard to see the Giants even using pick No.70 in this year's draft.

Tigers win

The Tigers are the kings of recycling unwanted talent. Miles, Bachar Houli, Ivan Maric, Shaun Grigg, Troy Chaplin and Taylor Hunt can all attest to that. In Townsend they have picked up a player they clearly think will add something to their list for next to nothing, and avoided another club potentially poaching him in the draft (assuming the Giants were planning on cutting him loose). The Tigers managed to finish inside the eight with a game-plan that didn't require a great deal of tackling last season, but having a player prepared to put his head over the ball and make his opponents accountable is something the Tigers lack, and Townsend will at least add something different in that regard.

Our verdict

Townsend is the real winner here, getting to continue his career with a club looking to play in its fourth straight finals series, rather than having to wait anxiously to see if any of the other clubs would take a punt on him in the draft. Richmond have done well to pick up for practically nothing a player that targets an area they are deficient in, but these trades that involve finding players new clubs so they can continue their careers elsewhere ensure that virtually everyone is a winner.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/who-won-the-townsend-trade/tabid/91/newsid/178343/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_whowonthetownsendtrade_211015

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2015, 11:34:40 PM »
Dan Richardson on Thursday said of Townsend: “I’m sure fans out there may think that we’d like a bigger name than Jacob Townsend ... but he’s a tough inside midfielder and apart from being a good player himself, I’m sure he’ll help out other midfielders like Trent Cotchin.

“He’s a clearance player and kicks goals from clearances.”

http://www.themercury.com.au/afl-trades-2015-richmond-carlton-complete-chris-yarran-deal-30-minutes-before-deadline/story-fnj3twbb-1227579020391

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2015, 12:21:15 AM »
Taylor hunt??
Grigg?
Chaplin?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2015, 06:02:19 AM »

http://www.themercury.com.au/afl-trades-2015-richmond-carlton-complete-chris-yarran-deal-30-minutes-before-deadline/story-fnj3twbb-1227579020391

Ermm......see this is what poos me is spin statements like above which paint an incorrect picture .

in his career Townsend has only kicked 4 goals from 28 games. They might have happened mostly from clearances but it hardly can be relied on as a key attribute of the player if he's only done it a few times and averages 1 goal per 7 games

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/jacob-townsend
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2015, 09:33:17 AM »

Ermm......see this is what poos me is spin statements like above which paint an incorrect picture .

in his career Townsend has only kicked 4 goals from 28 games. They might have happened mostly from clearances but it hardly can be relied on as a key attribute of the player if he's only done it a few times and averages 1 goal per 7 games

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/jacob-townsend
he did kick 11 in the NEAFL though,

for the last season.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »
   really had Ainslie & Eastlake shaking in their boots
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers secure Jacob Townsend [official]
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2015, 11:11:41 PM »
First pick of Townsend in a Tiger guernsey  :thumbsup.

https://twitter.com/stu68christie
https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
Looks like Jamie Tape ( may he rest in peace )
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #220 on: October 27, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »
Townsend's first interview on the RFC website ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-10-27/townsend-the-tiger

* I think there’s a better opportunity for me to play more senior football here. As everyone knows, there’s a fair bit of top-end talent up there at the GWS. And, talking to Anthony Miles, he’s enjoyed his time here. He was playing some pretty good footy up there (at GWS) but at each club some players just don’t get the opportunity that they would like or they probably deserve. He thought his career was up but he went off and got really fit and then the Tigers gave him a chance. And, he took that with both hands and finished top four in the B & F in his second year. It’s probably also credit to the Tigers themselves. It shows that if you get put into a club, with the correct training environment and standards, then anyone can come out and play how he’s played the last two years. So, I’m really happy to be here at the Tigers.

* Playing style is nothing too fancy. I’m not that quick or can’t jump that high, so I just like to go out there and try my best. I like to put a tackle on here and there. That’s basically what you can expect coming from me. I’ve spoken to a few of the Richmond coaches and they’ve said bring what you bring every week. Go out there and play your role for the team, whether that’s tagging someone or playing normal footy. Helping out Trent Cotchin as well because he obviously gets tagged a fair bit, being the superstar that he is. That’s basically what they told me my job was for the team.

* I can’t wait to get started and stuck into training. It’ll be good. Get out there on the training track and get taught a fair few things off some of the boys here.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-10-27/townsend-tracking-miles

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:50 PM »
Looks like Jamie Tape ( may he rest in peace )

Rip

I liked him

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
Nickname: the enforcer......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2015, 07:44:44 PM »
How bout 'Tommy'?    :-\
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #224 on: October 27, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »
"I think there’s a better opportunity for me to play more senior football here. As everyone knows, there’s a fair bit of top-end talent up there at the GWS."

Hahahaha. The kid is honest.

"And, talking to Anthony Miles, he’s enjoyed his time here. He was playing some pretty good footy up there (at GWS) but at each club some players just don’t go"

What's that, Jacob?
Some blokes don't get a go??
Yes......we know all about it at the RFC.
Ask your mate, Miles.
He was fortunate enough to be selected when Damian's boy list was decimated.
 Welcome ! 
*laughs to self*
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:48:59 PM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.