Author Topic: pick#12  (Read 91495 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: pick#12
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
'Going Places' articles on Ryan Burton:

All clubs barring the Dogs interviewed him.

For some recruiters, seeing Burton run freely was one of the highlights of the combine. He tested solidly, logging 3.09 seconds for the 20-metre sprint and 25.69 for the repeat sprints. He finished the 3-km time trial in 11:52 minutes. Given his circumstances, it was a good effort. Most importantly, he didn't limp around. After 14 months out, he looked like an athlete again.

"I showed my knee's not an issue," he says. "I didn't test at my best but the fact that I tested with my knee feeling 100 per cent the whole time made me walk away pretty happy.

"I was nervous about how I'd pull up, because it was a busy four days, especially on the hard floorboards. But it must be a lot stronger than I thought because it felt fine every morning and at the end of the week I had no concerns with it."

"I'd like to go to Melbourne, it's the home of footy," he says.

Part 1: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-04/going-places-the-moment-that-could-have-ended-ryan-burtons-afl-dream
Part 2: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-05/going-places-20-months-without-footy-but-burton-might-still-go-top20

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2015, 02:02:42 PM »
And here's the AFL website's profile article on Twomey's other choice for us: Jade Gresham - who is classed to go between our pick 12 and pick 25.

If Gresham's height [178cm] puts you off, think again. The only problem with smaller midfielders is when they don't have a standout quality. But Gresham has a number of tricks that will translate to the next level. Wind him up and let him go, because he's a natural player.

Full profile and article here: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-04/20-days-to-the-draft-meet-boomer-harveys-protege-jade-gresham

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2015, 03:02:14 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
Hmmm if we draft Gresham then we must be having two bob each way and trying to address our midfield depth & small forward needs with one player whilst relying on Townsend & Moore to fulfill the need for bigger bodied inside mids. Not sure that's the best approach.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
From 2 whole games of the champs. Oh boy must be his highlights package - which by the way the SA game and Vic Metro game looked pretty damn decent. Its not like he played last year AND made the AA under 18 or played a season with the Geelong falcons.

Nah lets base all our opinions of the first few minutes of a 4 minute youtube video

While I agree with the sentiment of not judging a player by a video (which this video wasn't necessarily a highlights video, was just a video of the times he touched the ball which probably gives a better indication of how a person plays) I don't see how you could come to the conclusion that his games against SA and Vic Metro looked pretty damn decent? They looked poor

Well i watched those games so Im a little more in the know i guess. Context is a wonderful thing. But its all perspective. I saw a guy who hunted the ball and got first use of it. When he was tackled he got it out of congestion and got his arms free. Yeah a shanked kick and a few airy handball a few of which were just referred pressure and a few because as I said he hunted to win his own footy but I would hope most would see that as understandable. He certainly not a 'spud' as a lot of people have said here.
that's just it tho, he wasn't hitting targets & sides now are extremely good at scoring from turnovers. no doubt he's better than the video suggests but i can only go off what i have seen.

I couldn't make heads or tails of your previous post, but how many of those were kicks out of congested situations. There wasn't a lot coming from a standing position. Our own captain is know for just moving the ball forward in contested situations. Most of the kicks in open play - if not all - hit the target
agree 100% last thing we need is another turnover merchant that costs us goals. as i said before, i am only going off what i have seen of him, if there is a clip that represents him better i am open to watching it & changing my opinion so feel free to post it!

dwaino

« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
I can tolerate another safe pick so we definitely have a solid young core going forward, but if it's time to be daring then that Burton could have massive pay offs.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »
He will play for 2 years in the VFL lose interest and we will delist him.

For some reason Dimma just doesn't give kids a go IMO

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »
Both Foxsports and Inside Football have Ah Chee at our pick.

RICHMOND

Pick: 12

Ideal: Callum Ah Chee

Otherwise: Daniel Rioli

The Tigers have a decent spine, but need some X-factor if they are to finally find that elusive finals win and go deep in September.

Last season, they kicked just 42 per cent of their score from general play. That’s the lowest rate of any side in the competition.

So they will be looking for a zippy forward, who can move into the midfield and kick goals.

That man could be Callum Ah Chee.

With elite pace and agility, Ah Chee has a massive jump and the ability to win games in an instant. Although he’s not a prolific ball-winner, he can also shift into the middle.

“Clubs are obviously craving outside speed and Ah Chee has plenty of that,” AFL academy coach Brenton Sanderson said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-draft-2015-who-your-club-should-take-with-its-first-pick/story-e6frf3e3-1227597567462

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2015, 11:33:10 PM »
From Brett Anderon's twitter tonight:

@TexasPinkSock - Heard a rumour richmond are very keen on ryan burton, any word if thats correct? Were do you expect him to go? Is he a gun?

@BrettAndersonIF - Yeah have heard that recently. He's a top 5 talent but some clubs have major concerns over his knee.

‏@TexasPinkSock - So do you expect him available at pick 12?

@BrettAndersonIF -  I think so. I have him going a bit later due to those knee concerns but that doesn't mean a team won't nab him a lot earlier.

@TexasPinkSock - So talent is not an issue at all? If you can get the knees right, he could be a star?

@BrettAndersonIF -  Yes. Think jack gunston.

https://twitter.com/BrettAndersonIF/with_replies

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »
I like Gresham too, got some slick skills.  If we pick up Oliver, Greshem, Ah Chee, perhaps Rioli,  willing to even have a gamble on Blurton, would be happy.  Snappin your leg just below the knee though....sheeeyat...hope he is drinking his milk...  I suppose as long as it was below the knee ligaments that join the tib so there was no complications, he is still young and growing.  Brownie did his when he was pretty mature, how old was he?  Talking myself out of it I think lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »
Out of interest how many of our previous 1st round selections have trained at PRO in the lead up to their draft?
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
Who cares?

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »
Who cares?
Well Lennon trained with us and we took him. Vickery & Cotchin did as welll but not sure about the others, might mean Burtons the pick.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:51:00 PM by one-eyed »
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.