Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232147 times)

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »
Still is fumbling too much which says to me he's off the pace or concerned with the bigger bodies. Was nice to see him get better as the game progressed but personally I don't think he's close to being best 22 at this point.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2016, 07:03:57 PM »
He's a Rioli - Will wreak havoc up forward and will cause a lot of headaches for the opposition for years to come.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #122 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
Time to tone down the preseason hype and let Daniel develop. He's not Cyril and expecting a similar entry to AFL is totally unrealistic.
While I agree, I would like to see what he can do with better delivery into the forward line.  Our inside 50 kicking seem to pick out Freo players time and time again. Wouldn't mind seeing how he goes around Jack's feet, where the attention is on Riewoldt.
Agree with both posts - tone down the expectations & give Daniel another go at it under Jack's (Ty's, McBean's) feet.  A real marking target up forward would attract more of the long ball from the midfield, increasing the odds of a small forward finding some crumbs around goals.  Then we might see something ....   
Can anybody remember Cyril's first game ....???  I cant ...   :P
Cyril was more renowned for his tackling and forward defensive pressure in his first year. He kicked 24 goals in 2008 (~1 per game).

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/C/Cyril_Rioli.html
Yes. Cyril averaged 3.5 tackles a game in his first year which is a greater average than all of but three of our listed players last season.
Imo not ready for AFL just yet.

Gotta love the hype surrounding our juniors, been there two minutes and already they are going to be world beaters.You would have thought by now our supporters would have learnt from bitter experience about proclaiming these guys champs before they have done a thing at the level.

At the moment all Rioli has is potential and some very good traits to play a particular role. Weather these things translate into him becoming a good AFL player only time will tell.
Personally i am still not sold and still question where we have taken him.I think there were  better options than Daniel at 12.

Not having a crack at the kid himself,   like all tiger supporters i hope like hell he turns out to be an astute pick up i understood the DESPERATE  need to find a very good very quick 40 goal a year sml fwd.
Our recruiting and list management in this area has been poor.It got to the point where we needed to invest a very good nd pick on this type.
 In this  i still can not work out why we did not go hard at Garlett.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

Gotta love the hype surrounding our juniors, been there two minutes and already they are going to be world beaters.You would have thought by now our supporters would have learnt from bitter experience about proclaiming these guys champs before they have done a thing at the level.

At the moment all Rioli has is potential and some very good traits to play a particular role. Weather these things translate into him becoming a good AFL player only time will tell.
Personally i am still not sold and still question where we have taken him.I think there were  better options than Daniel at 12.

Not having a crack at the kid himself,   like all tiger supporters i hope like hell he turns out to be an astute pick up i understood the DESPERATE  need to find a very good very quick 40 goal a year sml fwd.
Our recruiting and list management in this area has been poor.It got to the point where we needed to invest a very good nd pick on this type.

Yet another position we just haven't pursued properly in the off-seasons gone past.

Jeff Garlett for example. Good small forward, stupidly cheap to trade into the side, and could have taken the heat off Rioli. Now the poor kid will probably be poo'ing bricks with the expectation on him...

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »

Yet another position we just haven't pursued properly in the off-seasons gone past.

Jeff Garlett for example. Good small forward, stupidly cheap to trade into the side, and could have taken the heat off Rioli. Now the poor kid will probably be poo'ing bricks with the expectation on him...
Keeping in mind the goal this yr is top 4 it is almost top 4 or bust. Yep keeping this in mind why did we not have a crack at Steve Johnson who averages just under 40 goals a season.
The fwd half would be much more potent with just two sliding door moments Garlett and Johnson who would have cost next to nothing.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »
if you have s johnson and garlett

how do you play c ellis, rioli, yarren, lennon, edwards, menadue
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »
Don't play Grigg, Lambert, Hunt, Houli, Conca, Batchelor, B. Ellis.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
Well that was easy.... But I don't mind Lambert, I think he could be a pretty handy player until a couple of youngsters are 100% ready.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Agree, Lambert is not the future but he is a solution to the present.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2016, 09:39:48 PM »
Well that was easy.... But I don't mind Lambert, I think he could be a pretty handy player until a couple of youngsters are 100% ready.

And b Ellis; 500 possessions every year

Fit

Throwing the baby out with the bath water?
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »

And b Ellis; 500 possessions every year

Fit

Throwing the baby out with the bath water?
I'd more than throw the little baby out with the bath water.
You are obviously another that gets subdued by useless short kicks.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2016, 07:58:15 PM »
Like hawthorn?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »
Jake Niall from @FOXFootyLive reports Daniel Rioli will debut for Richmond tomorrow night. Teams due out in the next hour.

https://twitter.com/SENNews

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2016, 05:53:21 PM »
Pretty shocked if it's the case. Hope he kicks a couple against poo defence

tony_montana

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
Jake also mentions in his article that Deledio will also miss round 2,  1 day after the club said he would only miss 1 week and would've played " if this game was on Monday"