Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232047 times)

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #705 on: August 13, 2018, 02:32:57 PM »
Has caused a couple of horrible turnovers with his kicking but hey even Dusty has done that at times. If he can link up with our forward line from the wing then we are a formidable opponent given his speed and skill level.

Still feel we are one class forward short and thats where i think Butler fits in. As finals approach we need to execute better inside 50, once that clicks again then look out.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #706 on: August 13, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
It just wasn't the amount of possessions but the way Rioli "massages" the ball in congestion to get those possessions that had me smiling. Deft touches and knocks on. Thing of beauty to have the skill to do that so consistently.
Groovy  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
Has caused a couple of horrible turnovers with his kicking but hey even Dusty has done that at times.

Edwards made a career out of it apart from the last few years

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2018, 04:16:57 PM »
Has caused a couple of horrible turnovers with his kicking but hey even Dusty has done that at times.

Edwards made a career out of it apart from the last few years

MrMagic is gonna take a massive poo on your lawn now
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
 :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #710 on: August 18, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:43:27 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #711 on: August 18, 2018, 09:25:24 AM »
That was STHPESHAL!!! Saad had a pretty good game too, fast bastard.  Would be awesome in a good team lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #712 on: August 18, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Surprised it wasn’t paid push in the back

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #713 on: August 18, 2018, 09:29:34 AM »
LOL
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #714 on: August 18, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
Rioli is building nicely. Should really hit it by the preliminary final.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #715 on: August 20, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
That [run down tackle on Saad] was Rioli’s seventh tackle for the match – the most by any player on the ground – to go with his 17 disposals, six marks and five score involvements.

“It was good, wasn’t it, to ice the game. That’s why we love him in the side,” Hardwick said.

“He does that consistently. He probably had a couple of opportunities where he just missed them (tackles) tonight.

“It’s been evident in his game for a long period of time, and that’s why he’s such an important player for us.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-08-19/rioli-brings-elite-heat

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #716 on: September 01, 2018, 11:53:30 PM »
Daniel Rioli feature story on aboriginal family culture, moving out of Damien Hardwick’s house, Willie Rioli, Ballarat football

LAUREN WOOD,
Herald Sun
2 Sep 2018

WHEN the turtle meandered on to the main street, they knew it had to be a sign.

That kid in Melbourne, the one playing footy — Daniel Rioli. The turtle was his totem.

It was this time last year on Bathurst Island, one of the biggest of the Tiwi Islands, when a metre-long green turtle left the flat stretch of beach behind and made its way up into the streets of town.

Locals had never seen anything like it.

A few youngsters managed to gather it and took it to show community elders.

It was then that one thought of Richmond young gun and Tiwi product Rioli, who was about to embark on his first AFL finals series at Richmond.

“Mum called me and said that they found this turtle up on land up in the streets. That’s never happened before, so it was pretty weird,” Rioli says.

“There’s no reason for it to go up on land to do whatever it was doing. It was amazing.

“One of the older ladies said, ‘This might be a sign for that kid in Melbourne who’s playing footy … his totem is a turtle’.”
You don’t see many turtles on the main street of the Bathurst Island.

A bathtub was quickly filled with saltwater — Rioli thinks it might have been at his nan’s place — and the mission was on to keep the turtle, which typically would eat jellyfish and seaweed, healthy.

“Mum thought it might be a sign that we could go all the way, so I said, ‘OK, make sure you keep it”,” he says.

“I don’t know how they kept it that long or what they fed it. But they did.”

Against the odds, much like Richmond, the turtle thrived.

Rioli — who hails from Garden Point on Melville Island, with Bathurst Island the home of his mother’s family — suddenly had an addition to his finals routine.

The phone call back to the Tiwi Islands was weekly — to chat to family, of course, and also check in on the turtle.

By Grand Final week, Rioli’s mum, Belinda, was convinced that if Richmond beat Adelaide, it was that sign.

And that’s how it played out. The turtle was released in full health after the drought-breaking premiership and there has been no sign of it since.

“That turtle wouldn’t have just gone up the street for no reason,” Rioli says.

“They’re convinced it was a sign.

“It was fine when they released it and went happily back off into the sea, so the turtle is probably big right now.

“Now I’m hoping that some time maybe this week, something happens again, like the turtle might rock up again.

“Who knows? There’s still time. Everyone is just looking for signs — for anything.”

THE Rioli totem has been passed down through generations for centuries.

Each indigenous person has different totems for nation, clan, family group and personal symbols, which link that person to the universe. The responsibility is then for the totem to be protected and passed on to the next generation.

Rioli said that his family totem — the turtle — was used in carvings, paintings and music.

“We’ve got our own turtle traditional dance — everyone has got a dance in their totem,” he says.

He never got to see the finals turtle. There was talk that there was one photo of it, somewhere, but he’s never seen it, adding to the mystery.

Those responsible for keeping it healthy and its release had anticipated Rioli’s return home.

“Everyone wanted to hold my premiership medal and all that,” he smiles.

“I got around to all my family and they all got photos with it. It was something pretty special and hopefully we can do it again, because it’s an addictive feeling and you want to go back out there and do the same thing.”

CULTURE and family play a significant part in Rioli’s life.

There is a lot to learn, as he absorbs the stories of his ancestors and the skills of the land that have been passed down.

His parents and three siblings remain in the Tiwi Islands, where Rioli relishes returning to, to learn more about his people.

“That’s all I need right now — my culture is my number one thing that I still want to learn,” he says.

“My family is key to keeping me where I am now and what I am doing. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

“It’s pretty special being an Aboriginal person and to have my culture really strong and everyone involved in my family to be so into it … I always look forward to going back home and learning more things. I’ve been away for a long time now with school and now footy.

“I enjoy everything — the dancing, the culture and spending time with family. In the Tiwi Islands, it’s a big family.”

Learning dancing and songlines is a favourite, with Rioli particularly focused on learning Tiwi language.

It is all with an eye to eventually fulfilling his responsibility of passing on his knowledge to those that will, he hopes, follow him.

“My mum’s pretty good at (speaking Tiwi language). I can understand it, but I can’t speak it fluently,” he says.

“(To pass it all on) is why I want to be really strong in my culture. Eventually, hopefully when I get older and hopefully have a happy family, I can teach my kids and everyone that is really close to me … to teach them my culture and just pass it on.

“I won’t let it die down, for sure.”

Rioli will travel home when the season ends and looks forward to some warmth after the icy Melbourne winter.

His girlfriend, Mia Fevola, met some of Rioli’s family — including mum Belinda — for the first time this week and he hopes to one day take her to Garden Point.

“I’m really big on my culture and I want her to experience that as well,” he said.

“She knows a little bit of Tiwi language — I teach her.”

RIOLI was just 14 when he moved away.

He shifted to Ballarat from Melville Island — where it was 9C and 34C respectively yesterday.

It was tough, boarding at St Patrick’s College and doubting whether his hope of following in the footsteps of family members like his grandfather Maurice Rioli — a Richmond champion and fellow No. 17 — and four-time premiership Hawk Cyril Rioli, Essendon stars in Dean Rioli and relative Michael Long would become a reality.

“I didn’t think I was going to get drafted, to be honest,” Rioli says.

“I stuck it out there (in Ballarat) for four years and I remember talking to dad and saying, ‘If footy doesn’t work out and I don’t get my opportunity, what am I going to do? Am I going to return back home to the Tiwi Islands and find a normal job there and just play local footy?’

“Dad said, ‘Nah, we’ll send you to Perth and you can play for South Fremantle’. All my grandfathers played there and that’s where Maurice played.

“That was the plan, and then I was lucky enough that straight after school I got drafted to Richmond … where Maurice played. I was so happy.”

His first season — 2016 — “wasn’t too pretty” as the club finished 13th and pressure mounted on coach Damien Hardwick and its board.

“But the following year was extraordinary,” the premiership forward says.

“I never thought that day would come. Anything can happen. It’s been quite the journey.”

IT has been a year of change for the 21-year-old.

After three years living under Hardwick’s roof, Rioli jokes that he “wasn’t offered another contract” to stay living with his coach and his family and has moved out.

“Dimma would never say that (he was sad), but I know it for a fact. We had so many good times,” Rioli laughs.

“He’s a family man at home — so loving and jokes around a lot.

“I miss going and seeing him and his family. It’s a bit weird now, but it’s part of footy. You can’t live with your coach forever.

“I’ll miss them a lot. They’re always family. They were my second home when I moved to Melbourne.”

Football has seen its changes, too. Rioli missed the first 12 rounds of this season after breaking his foot in last year’s Grand Final — his first serious injury that required plates and screws to be inserted — but has not missed a game since.

After training with the midfield group as he rehabilitated, Rioli’s hunger to win more of the ball and maybe move into the centre of the ground has been fuelled.

“Last year was not my highest possession-winning games. It was focusing on my pressure around the footy,” he says.

“This year I’m trying to mix a bit of offence and defence into my game.”

Kicking goals like last year’s goal of the year is “a bonus”, but Rioli revealed his ambition is to add size and turn midfield beast alongside the likes of Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin and captain Trent Cotchin.

“Who knows — next year or the following year I could build a bigger frame and hopefully play in the midfield full-time,” he says.

“That’s what I want and hopefully kick goals as well.”

RICHMOND’S first final looms on Thursday night against Hawthorn and while Rioli never got to face his cousin Cyril — who retired earlier this season — there could yet be another Rioli reunion on the big stage this September.

Should the Tigers and West Coast both enjoy a flawless first three weeks of the finals, they would meet in the Grand Final, meaning Rioli and cousin Willie — an Eagle — could play against each other for the first time.

To say it’s a meeting Rioli is hoping for would be an understatement, given the pair’s connection with the Sherrin under street lights at Garden Point.

“I wanted to play against (Cyril) this year but I didn’t make it in time because of the injury. It would be special,” he says.

“But I’ve still got Willie on the other side as well at West Coast. I haven’t played against him this year either, and I want to.

“I’ve never played against him or with him, ever. I was always too young and never got the opportunity.

“Every holiday that I used to get back home (from Ballarat), I would be at home and he’d walk down the street with a footy in his hand and would call out and say ‘come outside’ and under the streetlights we’d play a game of footy just on the road.

“We’d kick the ball on this small road. No tackling or anything — it was pretty fun.”

To meet on the MCG “would be a bit different”.

“He’s the one that really taught me to play footy and he taught me how to kick, tackle,” Rioli says.

“Now he’s got his opportunity and it’s his first finals campaign. I reckon he’ll turn it on.

“It would be pretty special to play him in the Grand Final. Or any final. It’s something I can’t wait to do.

“The whole Tiwi Islands, I’m sure, would go off.”

THE MOMENT RIOLI KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

Lauren Wood

RICHMOND premiership forward Daniel Rioli has revealed he feared his badly broken foot might have stopped him from playing this season.

Rioli, 21, broke his foot in last year’s Grand Final victory over Adelaide and had to be carried around the boundary line amid the team’s celebrations.

He had surgery to insert plates and screws soon after and said as the timeline of his recovery and the season rolled on, he worried that he would not feature in Richmond’s premiership defence.

“I remember speaking to the physios to see where I was at (after the surgery) and how long it would be until I’d be out playing again,” Rioli told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“They didn’t give me a proper time frame. I really wanted to know when I would be back.

“I was hoping early — maybe Round 1 or Round 2 — but that wasn’t going to happen. I was way off. Then the rounds went on and suddenly it was Round 13.

“I didn’t think, to be honest, that I would make it back this year.”

The playmaker said that once he started running after more surgery to remove the metal supports, he thought “we’re getting somewhere”.

But it still took weeks and he did not feature until Richmond’s Round 13 win over Geelong at the MCG on June 17.

He said his nerves were rampant as he prepared to return and that he battled to find confidence in his foot until one crucial play in that game.

“I taped my foot up and was a bit cautious that game,” he said.

“The doctors and physios told me not to worry about anything. I felt fine, but it was just a confidence thing. You don’t want that happening again.

“Now, I feel so confident going out and playing. I can turn, chase.

“There was a play against Geelong on the wing where I ended up running 50 or 60 metres, so just to run at full pelt and then I ended up tackling Mitch Duncan … that tested my foot a bit.

“I ended up kicking the goal and I thought, ‘Here we go, there’s nothing wrong with my foot now’. My foot is normal now and nothing’s wrong with it.”

There is one crucial reminder of his first major injury — and it is one that Rioli said he welcomed.

“I’ve still got that big scar from the surgery and it’s a nice reminder,” he said.

“I always look at it and think that it was Grand Final day that it happened and it’s pretty special.

“I don’t look to it as a negative thing. I’m back and happy and playing good footy now.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-opens-up-about-his-family-culture-moving-out-of-damien-hardwicks-house-and-his-connection-with-willie-rioli/news-story/e2608f615727217b90308b42e2087d1f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #717 on: September 02, 2018, 07:26:51 PM »
Mark Robinson names his eight players who will decide their club’s premiership fates

MARK ROBINSON,
Chief Football Writer,
Herald Sun
September 2, 2018 4:00pm

FOOTBALL in 2018 is all about structures, systems and defence, but there remains a place for heroes, old and young.

These are eight players who will have the eyes of the football world on them this September.

Will they stand up or will they falter?

DANIEL RIOLI (Richmond)

THERE have been Maurice and Cyril - and Michael Long in the extended family - who are all Norm Smith Medallists, so the September gene can’t be understated in the Rioli family.

It is a measure of the Riolis as big-game performers and football is the beneficiary. What is it about them as footballers?

Clearly, they see and seize the moment and instinct to compete overwhelms any fear of failure. Daniel’s major footprint in finals came in last year’s preliminary final.

He had 14 disposals, kicked four goals and launched from the shadows to lay six tackles against Greater Western Sydney.

In the Grand Final the following week he laid another five tackles in the forward 50m and in the final quarter busted his foot, which led to him not playing until Round 13.

It’s been a slow burn - just 10 goals from 10 games and 48 tackles - but the tackle in the final 20 seconds on Essendon’s Adam Saad in Round 22 was symbolic of what Rioli and Richmond base their game around.

Others will be required to play top-level football, led by Dustin Martin, Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Kane Lambert, Shane Edwards and Toby Nankervis, and the Richmond method stands above absolutely everyone, and that’s where Rioli is a key with forward-half pressure and creating turnovers.

If Rioli’s instincts are aroused, his 12 touches and six tackles could be as important as Martin’s 30 touches.

At 21, he’s the last of the Riolis in the current environment but that will soon change when the Tigers take Maurice Jr with a father-son selection at the end of the 2020 season.

Finals stat: three matches, average 11 disposals, 1.3 goals

Funky stat: Averaged 37 forward half pressure points in last year’s finals series – ranked No.1

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/mark-robinson-names-his-eight-players-to-decide-their-clubs-premiership-fates/news-story/8b3fa5f20a4e644a9faba3353082eb9d?nk=903908f839bb1e0ea2c75ce03fc96585-1535879459

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #718 on: September 06, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
Rioli's goal all class too  :clapping.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1037642418995257344
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #719 on: September 12, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
“He’s just built his year beautifully,” Richardson said.

“Watching that game the other night (v Hawthorn), particularly in that third quarter when we just had repeat entries and pressure, the way that Daniel plays, it really suits finals football . . . it’s just tailor-made for him.

“The higher the intensity in the game, the better he is.

“The (team’s) game plan suits his strengths, the intensity of finals suits him, and he just seems to be able to go up a notch in big games.”   

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-09-12/rioli-shines-on-september-stage