Author Topic: Adam Marcon [merged]  (Read 17769 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Rookie pick 47 - Adam Marcon
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 06:18:09 PM »
Ok pick I guess...would've preferred a kid though...
Hardly an old man at 23.

unless his name is jake bachelor
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »
From the vids he seems to have good hands and balance in the wet. But its only a video. Id like to see him at AFL pace and space. Dunno if he'll hold up.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
Will need to play out of his ring to get a game , a lot of comp building for remaining mid spots  and that's healthy :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Bromance' between Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert reignited at Richmond (Age)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 05:20:29 AM »
'Bromance' between Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert reignited at Richmond

Brent Diamond
The Age
29 November 2015

It could almost be deemed a fairytale bromance, but the story of new Richmond rookie Adam Marcon and first-year Tiger Kane Lambert ending up at the same club is "not something you would even dream about", says Lambert.

The two mature-age recruits have been side-by-side, since playing alongside each other at Preston in their junior footy and cricket days.

They have both endured a journey of persistence and determination – unwithered by the prospect of missing out – but with the purpose to succeed at the sport they love.

"They're brothers from a different mother, their friendship is something that have driven each other to the best they can," Williamstown premiership coach Andy Collins said.

"It's a special relationship of great mates that have really pushed each other to be as good as they can. That story should have some great chapters to write for the Richmond footy club."

For Marcon, after three years at the Northern Blues – one of which was a career-best season, finishing with the Coaches Award on Liston Trophy night – the decision to cross to Williamstown, where he would spend more time in the midfield and in the eyes of AFL recruiters in 2014, was a defining moment.

Lambert made the same call – crossing from the Carlton affiliate, where the Preston flavour was beginning to fade – to the stand-alone Seagulls for the sake of his dream. They were both born and bred Preston, played for the Northern Knights under then coach Denis Pagan – who is an unabashed fan of the duo – and VFL feeder team, the previously named Northern Bullants. Ultimately, they had both become Fothergill-Round Medallists for the best Under 23 player in the VFL; an award that has become a guide to mature age recruits given past recipients include Fremantle's Michael Barlow, Sydney's Dean Towers and North's Robin Nahas.

Marcon's father Adrian, who introduced his son to the sport after migrating from Italy, was a cult figure at the Bullants, winning two VFA flags in the 1980s.

It was a controversial call for Marcon and Lambert to cross clubs, as the Seagulls were heavily under fire from the Blues hierarchy for poaching their star on-ballers.

"It wasn't a decision which was made lightly … we had plenty of discussion but we just thought Williamstown would be a good fit for us and things worked out the way we wanted them to," Lambert said.

"We have no regrets of what happened."

Collins believes "the ability to play your best position week-in and week-out at a stand-alone team is really advantageous to being drafted."

Ironically, Carlton plucked Williamstown premiership goalsneak Andrew Galluci as a rookie, perhaps recognising the stand-alone team as a top breeder of young talent. There were many other premiership Seagulls, who could have joined them on Friday; Mitch Banner, Michael Gibbons, Jack Johnstone and Jack Charleston to name a few.

Marcon, a PE teacher at Penleigh and Essendon Grammar, was teaching a class when his name was called out by the Tigers with the No.47 pick.  Lambert was quick to congratulate him – but it was a good time for himself to reflect on how far he has come after being upgraded to Richmond's senior list after playing in an AFL elimination final.

"I suppose there were times where you thought your time was up and maybe you weren't going to get the opportunity, but whatever level we were playing, we wanted to play the best footy we could," Lambert said.

"We're just lucky that Richmond have seen something in us and we have the opportunity now," he said.

"The reality is I've got to get better and hopefully we can improve on our season ahead."

He reckons it won't be long for Marcon – who averaged 22 disposals and seven tackles a game for the Seagulls this season – to show his full potential.

"He's always had a professional attitude with the way he goes about his footy. He did all the work post hours. It's going to be interesting to see what he can do in a full-time environment."

And he will have his familiar side-kick with him doing laps and drills once again, as he did when he was at Cramer Street Oval.

"That's the way it's sort of been over the last few years. With a year under my belt, I'll be able to help him out and tell him what to expect but he'll find his feet quickly," he said.

Collins, who has recently re-signed for a further two seasons as Williamstown coach, said Marcon's development over the past 12 months has been outstanding.

"To learn new skills, not only offensive, but defensive skills, he ran with some great players this year," he said.

The Tigers also recognised Marcon's intensity and smart use of the ball.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-bromance-between-adam-marcon-and-kane-lambert-reignited-at-richmond-20151128-glacmb.html

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 09:21:49 AM »
Good luck to him

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »
Just heard him on SEN, speaks well, seems very keen, looking forward to this one!! :gotigers
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Finally, Marcon makes his mark with Tigers (AFL site)
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Finally, Marcon makes his mark with Tigers

AFL.com.au
29 November 2015

NEW RICHMOND rookie Adam Marcon says persistence and a constant desire to get better is why he's finally landed on an AFL list after five years of being overlooked.

The 23-year-old Williamstown midfielder was first eligible for the NAB AFL, Pre-season and Rookie Drafts in 2010, but missed out after playing for the Northern Knights in the TAC Cup.

He said it had been hard to deal with being rejected multiple times by the AFL pool, but he had simply tried to stay hungry as he embarked on a VFL career.

"There definitely has been some ups and downs," Marcon told SEN on Sunday.

"I guess the one thing I always kept in the back of my mind was to just make sure I was continually improving and learning.

"I never wanted to stagnate or just stay at the same level I'd been playing at.

"Luckily enough, I always had the drive to keep getting better and hopefully that's something that holds me in good stead at Richmond as well.

"Six drafts later, I've finally got my crack. It's been a few watched drafts with nothing happening, so it was nice to finally get a result."

Marcon played for the Northern Blues from 2011-13, and has been with the Seagulls for the past two seasons.

He said Williamstown coach Andrew Collins helped develop his game defensively and encouraged him to bring more teammates into the play, which increased his chances of finally earning an AFL gig.

He hasn't let life pass him by while waiting for this opportunity, having started at Keilor's Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School as a PE and health teacher this year.

He was at work on Friday morning when the draft was held, and was watching it live in the office with a few of his colleagues when his name was called at No.47.

"Funnily enough, they're Richmond supporters so there was a few screams and shouts when the name came out," he said.

"It was a crazy day, that's for sure.

"I'm very lucky they're very understanding and also aware it could have ended up like this.

"The school have been extremely supportive and they've really looked after me."

Marcon met briefly with Richmond coach Damien Hardwick on Friday afternoon and will be given more of an understanding of the club's expectations of him next week.

For now, he just wants to emulate what his former Northern Blues and Seagulls teammate Kane Lambert achieved in his first year as a Tiger – 13 AFL games after being picked up as a rookie 12 months ago.

"It's something I've always had my eye on – to be part of that 24/7 environment," he said.

"I'm aware that the hard work starts now and everything is in the past and I'm starting afresh.

"I'm looking forward to getting down to work and improving a lot and being a really integral part of Richmond.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-29/finally-marcon-makes-his-mark-with-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Adam Marcon, Kane Lambert set to continue partnership at Richmond (Foxsports)
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 03:02:23 AM »
Adam Marcon, Kane Lambert set to continue partnership at Richmond

Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS
December 1, 2015

IT MIGHT not be the most famous of football partnerships, but it’s certainly one of the most enduring.

From Auskick to the Northern Knights to the Northern Blues to Williamstown, Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert have tended to be a two-for-one deal.

And now the pair have another chapter to add to their ongoing partnership, with Marcon joining Lambert at Richmond, after the former was taken with pick No. 47 in Friday’s rookie draft.

And it was Lambert’s own AFL journey — he was taken by the Tigers just one selection earlier in last year’s rookie draft — that gave Marcon the self-belief that he could also make it as a mature age player.

“I think what Kane Lambert has done this year at Richmond shows that you can make the change from VFL footy,” Marcon told SEN on Sunday.

“I know that there are many great VFL footballers out there who deserve to get drafted.”

And eight of them did this year, with four players taken in the national draft and another four in the rookie draft.

Richmond’s recruiting manager Francis Jackson says the Tigers were attracted to Marcon’s determination.

“Once again, this is a win for perseverance,” Jackson said.

“I just thought Adam had done everything to justify a position on an AFL list. He’s worked tirelessly and it’s just reward.

“He played 19 VFL games with Williamstown this year, I think he averaged 23 touches, eight tackles a game, and he worked really hard.

“I’m delighted to add him to our list because it’s thoroughly deserved.”
From Williamstown to Richmond, Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert have been reunited. Photo: Kris Reichl

Marcon starred in Williamstown’s premiership team this year and he was rewarded with the Fothergill-Round Medal as the VFL’s most promising player.

His elevation means the past 10 winners of this award have gone onto graduate into AFL ranks after Lambert won it in 2013.

Marcon, a PE teacher at Penleigh and Essendon Grammar, was at school when his AFL dream was finally realised, some five years after his first draft attempt in 2010.

“I was watching it live in the office with a few of the colleagues, who are funnily enough Richmond supporters,” Marcon said.

“There were a few screams and a few shouts when the name came out at 47.

“I love my teaching and I love my footy.”

And while Marcon says he’ll take his teacher’s hat off at Richmond, the 23-year-old credits his success to his ongoing desire to learn.

It’s a mantra he would have hoped to instil in his students, but ultimately one which allowed his insatiable AFL dream to stay alive in the face of perpetual setbacks.

“I just had to make sure I was continually improving and continually learning, I didn’t want to stagnate,” Marcon said.

“Luckily enough I always had the drive to get better and hopefully that will hold me in good stead at Richmond.

“I’m lucky enough to have been coached by Andrew Collins who’s done so much with me defensively.

“All those little strings you can add to your armour is what’s allowed me to get this chance.”
Adam Marcon has finally realised his AFL dream. Picture: David Smith

Lambert is not the only influence on Marcon’s career.

His father, Adrian, was a cult figure at Preston, where he won back-to-back flags in the 1980s.

And while Marcon hasn’t styled his own game on his father’s — who, in his own words was “more a high-flying goal sneak” — he has inherited his desire to learn.

“He follows my game extremely closely and gives me a lot of great feedback, both positive and constructive,” Marcon said.

“I think his ability to keep me learning and improving is something that has driven me to get to this point.

“I couldn’t have done it without him to be honest.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl-2015-adam-marcon-kane-lambert-set-to-continue-partnership-at-richmond/news-story/337749514ee21a9a668b1c7477f29fb6

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 03:03:31 AM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
Great to see we are giving state league players who perform at a high standard a go.Most will never be guns but instead become decent foot soldiers which is more than you ever get from most junior rookie picks.
My only gripe is his size how many small players do we need, but thats a different issue altogether. I wonder if we had any one looking at Sam Menegola.A188cm 90kg inside mid who absolutely blitzed the wafl this year.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
Didn't you say before that we should take kids in the rookie draft?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
Nelson > Marcon,  Cameron > Chol  :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »

Illuminati. Or just Claw (and plenty of others) wanting to disagree with whatever the club does

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:48 PM »
I dont believe i have ever advocated we take just kids in the rookie or nd  draft. Hence for how long now have i carried on about state league players.
I believe i am one poster who has never had a problem  wanting us to take 29 plus yr olds at trade time to go with younger trades.
I have regularly advocated we take a Balance of juniors and mature types.
Players i have advocated we look at this yr , Adams 22yo, Cameron 21yo, Menegola 24yo, Hartley 22yo steve johnson 32 yo.Keefe 25yo and i have missed a few.
I have constantly said i dont have a problem taking mature players just as long as we take our fair share of kids every year.