Author Topic: Controversial topic #2 - Flag debate  (Read 13037 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Controversial topic #2 - Flag debate
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 06:08:34 AM »
Thanks for the link and clarification that wars have been fought, the country has been represented by and international competitions have been won with that flag since '54  :cheers

You need to also re-read my post in regards to the anthem for the subjective nature of my opinion and why I think that way.

Military ensigns are often different for every nation too, doofus.

You said "Blood has been spilled and victories have been won for that flag."

And now it's about " international competitions"

Wrong again, it is the green and gold that represents Australia not the blue ensign.

:cheers.

dwaino

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 06:21:53 AM »
Give it up grandad, I said victories mostly in reference to sporting achievements as we haven't really won anything by storming beaches. It was a generalisation, sorry for not copy and pasting my opinion and being precise about it. Put your glasses back on if you've never seen the flag flown at a competition  :lol 

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »
Give it up grandad, I said victories mostly in reference to sporting achievements as we haven't really won anything by storming beaches. It was a generalisation, sorry for not copy and pasting my opinion and being precise about it. Put your glasses back on if you've never seen the flag flown at a competition  :lol

:lol

No problems I will accept your backtracking.

Personally I'm a fan of the Union Jack, it's own history, and the history we inherit by carrying it. It's where we as a country have come from and an identity I would personally not like to forfeit.

More people that have come from other countries than from the country with the Union Jack.

Fact (Hi Jackstar).

and the Union Jack is actually three flags combined.

Maybe our new flag should combine all the flags that represent where our people have come from not just those from Great Britain.

Or maybe something entirely new.

:cheers

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 08:27:43 AM »
Thoughts?

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »
Thoughts?

Make the green black and the blue ochre (desert sand colour) and I'm with you.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
Personally I'm a fan of the Union Jack, it's own history, and the history we inherit by carrying it. It's where we as a country have come from and an identity I would personally not like to forfeit.
But Australia has long had its own history and identity separate from that of the UK. We're all not Anglos  :whistle. As an Australian-born with mixed ancestries but who sees himself as Australian and only Australian, the Union Jack means nothing to me other than it's a flag of a foreign country.

Furthermore, it's modern historical revisionism to claim the Union Jack is on our flag for "heritage" reasons (I know this is now taught in schools :facepalm but it doesn't make it any less baseless and simply untrue). The Union Jack is there because it had to be when the flag was first created. No non-British ensign design would've been allowed to win the 1901 flag competition. Our current flag is simply a blue British ensign with stars added as local symbols (i.e. 'defaced') as was required within the British Empire back then. Britain was our superior and we were subservient to Britain, which is what the Union Jack in the canton represents (a standard rule in vexillology). All colonies/dominions of the British Empire were required to have one of these 'defaced' British ensign flags (mainly to identify where merchant ships came from). Canada, India, South Africa, NZ, Kenya, etc ... (a quarter of the land mass of the Earth) all had a 'defaced' British ensign flag too but virtually all have since changed their flag to one of their own.

In 2015, the British Empire is no more and long gone and Australia has, over the past 114 years, systematically separated itself from Britian (the 1986 Australia Act officially made the UK a foreign country to us). We are no longer ruled over by a foreign country, so the Union Jack should go from our flag's canton and from our flag full stop.

Blood has been spilled and victories have been won for that flag. There will be no tradition if it is just thrown out every generation or two. If the flag is changed I'm sure in another 50 years we will raise the question again because it doesn't mean anything to so many of us that haven't seen it fly for anything meaningful. Take the anthem for example. The majority who want it changed are those who remember singing God Save Our Queen at school. Then there are those of us who have known nothing more than Advance Australia Fair and consider the thought of changing it sacrilege. Sure I'm Anglo (actually more Saxon than Anglo but still) and I couldn't really give a stuff what ethnicity someone has descended from, what Australia considers the UK as or what any other country has done, to me it is a very important part of where this country has come from.

:thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
Thoughts?

Really? What does black, yellow and red(ish) represent other than the colours of the aboriginal flag? Shouldn't we pick a set of colours which best represents a unified Australia rather than a single group?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
Thoughts?

It will look like the kangaroo has diarrhoea and is spraying a runny crap

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
I'd vote for a good design incorporating a kangaroo and the southern cross over that with an English flag on it any day of the week.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
Green and gold is crap.

South Africa,Brazil......etc

Imo, a kangaroo is a low iq representation of a floundering nation.

Australia could learn from NZ AND ITS ACCEPTANCE AND ACKNOWLEDEMENT of their indigenous history.

Oz must replace the rubbish stars in the top left corner with
with the aboriginal flag.

Get it right
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
The only flags I care about are Richmond flags. All others are stupid & gay.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »
then arn't you just ignoring another part of our history?

To me if the flag is to somehow represent the aborigines, then should it also still incorporate the union jack, after all they are both parts of this countries history?

Personally, I want the Union Jack gone, and the flag design should represent what we are, or what we aspire to, not what we have been.

I'd actually liked the idea of a sprig of wattle with the southern cross, but now it seems the kiwis have beaten us to the punch with that concept.

It's a shame the eureka stockade flag is so heavily associated with the BLF, as that flag and actions associated with it started the ball rolling to Australians being able to vote on our leaders rather than have them appointed by the mother country.

what colors could we use that no one else does?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »
Haha BLF...remember my mate being chased out of a building site on the way to school because he went in and asked if he could have a free Norm....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
I think replacing the stars with blowflies would be appropriate

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame