Author Topic: Official Tigers Team -v- Melbourne Rd 5  (Read 14879 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Official Tigers Team -v- Melbourne Rd 5
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
Obviously part of the rebuild philosophy is to play the same old guys time and time again..... :whistle

Can't understand this type of comment. This is a side that has C Ellis, Menadue and Rioli in it. They have stuck pretty fat with these blokes. They are first and second year players. Add in Short for a bit of exposure, Macintosh, there's probably one or two others. You can't possibly hope to win with 4 or 5 of these types in the side.

Some regeneration is happening right in front of your eyes, yet the club still gets criticised for electing "same olds".  :huh

Batchelor is a surprise, but I'm taking from that that Astbury is doubtful, and they aren't confident that Chappy has a good match-up. Will be shocked if Morris plays. Hampson has actually been pretty good and i'm not convinced that big Ivan strengthens us much anymore. This will be his last year. Obviously we need another genuine ruckman on the list, but Hampson is our best option against the talls like Gawn, Sandi etc.

It is Round 5. We still have a shot at resurrecting our season. When and if it becomes obvious that we aren't going to make finals, then we'll see McBean and others get a chance.
You raised the very point I was making!
Short kicked 3 goals on debut and despite an 11 disposal game against Adelaide is dropped. Why? Other senior guys continue to stink it up and keep on getting selected. Hunt? What has he done to justify selection? He played one of the worst games of football ever seen against Collingwood and yet is back one week later. Why? He is not the future. I want to put games into guys that may win us a flag. Not into guys that may get us into 8th position.
Yer that pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 08:19:45 PM »
Obviously part of the rebuild philosophy is to play the same old guys time and time again..... :whistle

Can't understand this type of comment. This is a side that has C Ellis, Menadue and Rioli in it. They have stuck pretty fat with these blokes. They are first and second year players. Add in Short for a bit of exposure, Macintosh, there's probably one or two others. You can't possibly hope to win with 4 or 5 of these types in the side.

Some regeneration is happening right in front of your eyes, yet the club still gets criticised for electing "same olds".  :huh

Batchelor is a surprise, but I'm taking from that that Astbury is doubtful, and they aren't confident that Chappy has a good match-up. Will be shocked if Morris plays. Hampson has actually been pretty good and i'm not convinced that big Ivan strengthens us much anymore. This will be his last year. Obviously we need another genuine ruckman on the list, but Hampson is our best option against the talls like Gawn, Sandi etc.

It is Round 5. We still have a shot at resurrecting our season. When and if it becomes obvious that we aren't going to make finals, then we'll see McBean and others get a chance.
Short kicked 3 goals on debut and despite an 11 disposal game against Adelaide is dropped. Why? Other senior guys continue to stink it up and keep on getting selected. Hunt? What has he done to justify selection? He played one of the worst games of football ever seen against Collingwood and yet is back one week later. Why? He is not the future. I want to put games into guys that may win us a flag. Not into guys that may get us into 8th position.

Who comes out for Short? Lloyd, Lambert or Rioli? What would be the point of that?

Agreed Hunt isn't great, but nobody in the VFL is pushing him out, and as I said, you can't play 5 blokes under 20 games and expect to win. Maybe you can when the season is lost, but we're not at that stage yet.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 08:57:12 PM »

Who comes out for Short? Lloyd, Lambert or Rioli? What would be the point of that?

Agreed Hunt isn't great, but nobody in the VFL is pushing him out, and as I said, you can't play 5 blokes under 20 games and expect to win. Maybe you can when the season is lost, but we're not at that stage yet.

You can't expect to play guys who aren't up to it and expect to win either.......

Why not play George instead of Hunt? One has peaked and is mediocre while the other has youthful enthusiasm and can improve with experience.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 09:26:33 PM »
At least Hampson has stopped opposition rucks dominating centre bounces. Unfortunately it's small things like kicking, hand balling, marking, blocking, shepherding and general football nous that he is lacking in.

Too bad this isn't American football where we could whip him off and just have him in for his tap work....
Sorry i have been hanging for tbis comment and it has to be said, there are only 2 sticks hampson can put it through, MG

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »
The Dees are going to debut Petracca.

Will be good for him to get the Gatorade shower out of the way after his first game......
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:23 PM »

St.Kilda had about 8 or 9 players in their side around that 20 game mark last week that should have beaten Hawthorn. We could quite easily fit a couple more in our side to replace guys like Hunt. 
Realistically we only have one first year player in Rioli in our side and 2 second year kids (ND picks) playing on Sunday.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:45 PM »
The Dees are going to debut Petracca.

Will be good for him to get the Gatorade shower out of the way after his first game......
Roos said he will only play if Jeff Gartlett doesn't come up. :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »
Roos says a lot of things.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 10:03:22 PM »
Can't see both Batchelor and Morris playing

Batchelor is likely, straight replacement for Vlastuin I would have thought

Will reserve any other judgement until we see the final line up tomorrow at around 5pm  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »

St.Kilda had about 8 or 9 players in their side around that 20 game mark last week that should have beaten Hawthorn. We could quite easily fit a couple more in our side to replace guys like Hunt. 
Realistically we only have one first year player in Rioli in our side and 2 second year kids (ND picks) playing on Sunday.

So you think we should be in total rebuild mode like the Saints? Personally, I don't.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »

So you think we should be in total rebuild mode like the Saints? Personally, I don't.
A side should always be improving its list. You should always be replacing players that won't win you a flag with youth that might. If you don't, you'll never win one.
Hunt won't help win us a flag. Geelong already realized he could not help them. Why do we think he'll help us win one?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
Would be happy for Morris to come in if Garlett plays.

Glad Batchelor is playing. Gave Redpath a towelling last week, considerably outsized.

Lids, Maric and Miles essential. Good ins generally.

Interested to see Petracca. I remember him kicking 18 goals in a high school match back at WFC when he was about 13 and we had him picked then lmao

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 11:40:53 PM »

Call it what you like but we need to replace guys that cannot take us any further than we have been. Grigg, Houli, Hunt and Hampson all will not take us any further. Play some more kids and find out whether they can. Castagna, McBean and Small have all earned that right IMO.  And all 3 could play this round and be as good as or better than those 4 I named.
A decent game plan would be the best "in" of the week though.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2016, 12:00:56 AM »
Looking forward hopefully to seeing a side with
Jack
Lids
Cotch
Martin
Rance
Yarran
Maric
Grimes
A fit Miles
A fit Edwards

Along with kids like
Rioli
Menadue
C.Ellis
McIntosh
Castagna
Lloyd
Lambert
McBean

And hopefully
C.Moore
Chol

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2016, 06:50:42 AM »
Again this game looks like being lost at the selection table. Failure to bring in McBean, Short and Castagna shows a lack of creativity by the club. Keeping Hunt and Grigg in the side is a backward step.