Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 170180 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Pick 29. Shai Bolton
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2016, 10:42:45 PM »
Will be awesome.  Hope he gets into like Oleg and Rioli did this year
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2016, 11:28:48 PM »
Played as a forward in the colts,played on ball for most of his U18 champs games & also on ball in the All stars game.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2016, 12:39:28 AM »
Shai's thread is off to a promising, OER start.....
Even more promising is the prospect of Claws 1000 word post on the players we should've drafted instead of him.

At least he won't come on and claim he knew who we were taking after the fact :lol :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »
VIDEOS:

Shai Bolton v Allies (2016 Under 18 Championships):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHJcCtLh7lo

DRAFT WATCH: Shai Bolton - News:  https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/watch/33316822/draft-watch-shai-bolton/

Shai Bolton (2016 NAB AFL U18 All Stars):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45RcgmItFoA

Richmond Tigers Draftee: Shai Bolton Highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcAx8G9-ohk

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2016, 03:46:25 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 03:52:11 AM »
Shai Bolton
South Fremantle (WAFL), 178cm, 68kg

VIDEOS:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-11-25/2016-draft-pick-29-shai-bolton-jrz
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-11-25/boltons-blistering-speed-jrz

Shai Bolton is an exciting small forward from WAFL club South Fremantle, who has the ability to break games open with his electric speed and evasiveness. 

Bolton’s introduction to the talent pathway was in 2013, as a member of the Flying Boomerangs Indigenous Academy, before spending three seasons in the WAFL colts with South Fremantle. 

In the 2016 season, Bolton averaged 17 disposals and two goals per game, with a season-high seven goals against East Perth in round 22.

His early-season form was rewarded with selection in the WA state under-18 Academy and he played all four national championship matches for WA. 

At the national combine, Bolton produced some exceptional results.

Bolton was educated at Wesley College in Perth, where he boarded for several years, participating in their football and basketball programs.

His father Darren also was a talented footballer, winning the 1998 best and fairest for Peel Thunder in the WAFL and playing two games for Fremantle in 1999.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-11-25/pick-27

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 04:04:37 AM »
News articles:

Tigers fill the need for speed with Shai Bolton

AFL.com.au
26 November 2016

HAVING lost Chris Yarran to retirement and Brett Deledio to GWS, Richmond opted for pace in selecting electrifying Western Australian speedster Shai Bolton with its first selection in the NAB AFL Draft.

Bolton has already starred on Punt Road, collecting 16 touches and kicking a goal in the NAB All Stars game on Grand Final day.

Having traded in tough midfielders Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy, the Tigers will have an electrifying forward line if Bolton can eventually slot in next to Daniel Rioli.

Richmond recruiting manager Francis Jackson said Bolton's speed was a handy asset.

"It won't go astray," Jackson told AFL.com.au.

"We added Daniel (Rioli) last year and provided a lot of excitement and we think Shai is well placed to do the same." 

Both are noted tacklers who will put enormous pressure on opposition defenders while feeding off any crumbs from Jack Riewoldt.

Bolton was, by his own admission, slightly inconsistent during 2016 but he is capable of turning a game in minutes with his goal sense and capacity to do the unexpected.

He will only turn 18 in December and overcame stress fractures in his back to sit out of football in 2015 however Jackson remains optimistic he could play senior football in 2017.

From Mandurah in Western Australia, Bolton's father Darren played two games for Fremantle in 1999 taking on Carlton and Hawthorn.

He moved to Perth to board at Wesley College for three years and is expected to have no hesitation about shifting to Victoria to play football.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-25/tigers-fill-the-need-for-speed-with-shai-bolton

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 04:05:35 AM »
Dedicated Bolton set to realise dream

Dale Miller
PerthNow
21 November 2016

RECRUITERS watching Shai Bolton have seen his speed and mercurial talent.

He is hoping they have also noticed his dedication.

An electric showing in this year’s inaugural under-18 All-Stars exhibition match has catapulted the 17-year-old into the frame as an early second-round selection in Friday’s national draft.

Bolton’s marking ability, explosive pace and tackling pressure have drawn comparisons to idol and Norm Smith medallist Cyril Rioli.

But the South Fremantle forward is at pains to point out he has the work ethic to go with his X-factor, saying he can survive the call of home that affects many young Aboriginal players drafted out of WA. The son of former Fremantle midfielder Darren Bolton, the teenager spent more than three years boarding away from family at Wesley College.

This year he made an 80-minute round journey from Mandurah at least three days a week for training at Fremantle Oval.

Having picked the brains of good friend and Carlton trade recruit Jarrod Pickett, Bolton knows to expect hours in the gym to prepare his light 178cm frame for the elite level.

“Obviously everyone’s going to get homesick now and then, but I’ll be able to deal with it,” Bolton said. “It’s pretty much been my dream since I was little to make the AFL.

“Mum always dropped me off at training and took me to games, but as soon as I turned 17 I ended up getting my licence. I didn’t want to rely on Mum any more.

“I drove up to Fremantle three days a week. I made sure I was at training early.”

An invitation to join the State under-18 academy program convinced Bolton he could make it in the AFL.

It was the boost of confidence he needed after being diagnosed with stress fractures in his back and being forced to sit out football for all of 2015.

“It was pretty tough, but I put all my effort into my recovery for my back,” Bolton said. “I’ve done everything I could to make myself right for this year.”

The diligence has been worth it. Bolton finished this year with a bang, booting four goals in each of his two colts finals for South Fremantle.

Then in the All-Stars match at Punt Road on grand final eve, Bolton collected 16 disposals, seven inside 50s and a goal. The performance prompted a string of calls from AFL clubs.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/dedicated-wa-talent-shai-bolton-set-to-realise-afl-dream/news-story/5b0b1ca2dfde99d85ca3d485365ce20e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2016, 04:06:53 AM »
Draft hopeful Shai Bolton wants to follow in Cyril Rioli's footsteps

Larissa Nicholson
The Age
14 November 2016

Draft hopeful Shai Bolton is a quiet teenager, but his eyes light up when he talks about his football idol Cyril Rioli.

And given he is considered one of this year's most talented youngsters, the 17-year-old forward may just get his own chance to star on the big stage.

Bolton was born into a WA football family. His father Darren Bolton played a couple of games for Fremantle in 1999 and won two best-and-fairest awards for the Peel Thunder in the WAFL.

His uncle Allistair Pickett is a two-time Sandover medallist, the top award in the state league.

Bolton lives with his mother Kylie, a social worker, an older brother who is employed on a fly-in-fly-out basis on the mines, his 14-year-old sister and his brother's two young children.

Bolton is working towards becoming a personal trainer, studying the course online this year which gives him the ability to concentrate on his football.

He said his father had given him tips on how to improve his football in his all-important draft year and his mother had been a huge help.

"When she was young she was pretty sporty, she was pretty good at netball, athletics," Bolton said.

"She's been really encouraging, she makes sure she's at every game, she's been really supportive."

The small forward plays for South Fremantle and was a standout performer in the All Stars Under-18 clash in late September.

Like most draft prospects, Bolton will just be happy if an AFL club picks him – he is willing to go anywhere.

But asked which AFL team really catches his eye, he nominates Hawthorn.

"They're so good in the way they use the ball, their crumbers, they're smart players, all of them," he said.

Little wonder then that Rioli is his favourite. "He's just crazy, his goals, his screamers, for a little person he's pretty crazy," Bolton said.

Bolton said he was happy with his preparation this year. He had worked hard and achieved all that he had hoped.

On draft night, he will probably sit at home with his family until he hears the news, then have a barbecue afterwards, hopefully to celebrate the culmination of a lot of hard work.

"I just love playing football, ever since I was little I've been growing up with it," he said.

"My whole family's been playing, watching my dad play, I just love everything about football."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/draft-hopeful-shai-bolton-wants-to-follow-in-cyril-riolis-footsteps-20161112-gsnw08.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2016, 04:07:50 AM »
Dynamic forward Shai Bolton was the standout in the Bulldogs’ loss to East Perth in the colts. Bolton kicked four goals for the second week in a row, and added seven inside 50s and 19 touches to his stat line as well. Bolton possesses some genuine x-factor and is a player capable of causing any side headaches playing as a small forward who can also get up the ground when needed.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/32617427/draft-watch-who-is-was-next-big-thing/

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
Must be played in the back line for at least the first 5 years of his tenure as the experts say, before we figure out he is actually better as a forward, wingman.....

But by then though he will be traded back to WA or he will leave because we cant manage Aboriginal players...

You can bet your house on that happening

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »
Could be something. Chad wingard isn't that much taller at 182 so get this guy on the hugh jackman diet and he could be a beast of a forward who provides relief in the midfield.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
GFL

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 09:05:56 PM »
This kid does some special things. Could be our very own Eddie Betts as i see many similarities between the two. Great selection M. Clarke :clapping

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »
This kid does some special things. Could be our very own Eddie Betts as i see many similarities between the two. Great selection M. Clarke :clapping
When he plays through the centre its like watching the 2nd coming of Michael Long.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.