Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 164546 times)

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #720 on: August 25, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
Maybe I am ready too much into it - but Dusty looked flat when he was being interviewed after the game .  He didn't sound like a guy staying .
To be honest I don't ever remember him being interviewed and being any other way. Never seems overly animated after games generally and maybe in this particular case he is well aware that a 100+ win against Freo means absolutely nothing and assume his teammates are mature enough to understand that too.

My take on all this talk of him leaving is yes the money is great but just creeping into his head for a second would an introverted type character such as Dusty want to go through all the processes in developing comradery with new teammates and coaches plus the extra pressure of essentially being the highest paid player in the comp and needing to deliver week in week out plus of course the extra appearances and commitments in relation to new club sponsors etc. I believe he would try to avoid this if he possibly can.

dwaino

« Reply #721 on: August 25, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »
This why I am beyond caring anymore

There are 2 very clear choices at play here, to suggest otherwise is foolish IMO

My view up until 4 weeks ago has always been he would stay. My gut feel now is he is going (want to be wrong but gut says he's going)

We (the club) kept our end of the bargain, marked improvement this year, no possibility the coach (who he supposedly loves) wouldn't be sacked, his team mates (again who he supposedly loves) not pressuring him etc. The club over the journey has gone above and beyond in helping and more to the point protecting this bloke from anything and everything

But 3-4 weeks it seems everything changed and changed dramatically. And now we have this.... I call it a circus... call it whatever you want

Will say it again 2 clear choices

If it's about success, being at a club that's has done so much for you, being with you mates (who've you referred to as "your brothers"), loyalty while at the same earning over a million bucks then you stay

If it's about just the $$$ then you go

Over to you Dusty 

I'm the same, WP. No one can accuse the club of not doing enough. By the sounds of it the club has met his every demand in terms of on field improvement and the coach isn't going anywhere. He will be our highest paid player and the second or third highest paid in the competition should he stay. To offer any more would be irresponsible. Should he decide to chase the money by going to the wooden spooners then imo he is a hypocrite.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #722 on: August 25, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Same - If he does go god I hope Norf rot in the lower reaches of hell for all eternity but moreso while Dusty is there.
The figures thrown around are ludicrous and I just wonder how a minnow such as Norf has this money?

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #723 on: August 25, 2017, 01:09:12 PM »
Still think we should seek to force a trade and get Pick 1 and a player (Sam Durdin) for him. 

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #724 on: August 25, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »
Still think we should seek to force a trade and get Pick 1 and a player (Sam Durdin) for him.

Can't match $1.5m
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #725 on: August 25, 2017, 01:38:41 PM »

Can't match $1.5m

= Compo pick AKA screwed

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #726 on: August 25, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »

Can't match $1.5m
Even if we could match they would still tell us to get stuffed and take him with Pick 1 in the PSD.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #727 on: August 25, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »

Can't match $1.5m
Even if we could match they would still tell us to get stuffed and take him with Pick 1 in the PSD.

Think the PSD is a red herring, we match we keep, we don't he leaves under free agency. Not sure how PSD is even a factor.
Anyways, I think we will find that this will all be revealed soon. Not sure how well the man himself is coping now - this latest burst of new news is starting to having an impact.
Am quite sure Norf is the only serious option and not his preferred option so let's see what happens
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #728 on: August 25, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »

Can't match $1.5m
Don't match 1.5
The offer is the offer

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The world will keep spinning if Dusty leaves Richmond: KB (SEN)
« Reply #729 on: August 25, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
KB's Take | The world will keep spinning if Dusty leaves Richmond

By Kevin Bartlett
SEN
25 August 2017

It wouldn’t worry me if Dustin Martin walked away from the Richmond Football Club.

And I’ve always thought that Martin would stay at Richmond.

He would stay because CEO Brendan Gale and director of football Neil Balme would make an offer that was fair and reasonable for the talent of Dustin Martin.

For they are outstanding administrators and they would be honest and upfront with Martin with their best offer.

And the club would be confident it has created an environment and support and development for Martin to enjoy his footy and get the best out of himself.’

If Martin moves because it’s all about money and only money then good luck to him.

He’s a professional footballer with a short career so it would be a business decision.

If he walks out the door the Tigers should shake him by the hand, thank him for his career at Punt Road and shut the book and start looking for the next great player.

For footy clubs are bigger than any individual, great names like Ian Stewart, Billy Barrot, Ron Barassi, Patrick Dangerfield, Buddy Franklin and a host of others have all packed their bags in the past and moved on and the world didn’t stop spinning.

If Martin does walk out of Punt Road the club can look supporters in the eye and say we did our best.

I’m KB, that’s my take.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/24/kbs-take-or-the-world-will-keep-spinning-if-dusty-leaves-richmond/
ANOTHER stupid old fool that got Dusty wrong before, bitter about what is going on!

The message has been the same the entire year and that's the decision will be made at the end of the season.... not the end of the season but if we are in the finals that may change because it doesn't suit everyone else.

As much as I want Dusty to stay he is entitled to go wherever he likes if the money is to good to refuse. Loyalty in footy is long gone- just asks Jimmy Bartel who desperately wanted one more year after getting paid unders his entire career, only to be told no by the Geelong FC. And that is fact.

I'm more than happy to give Dusty the benefit of the doubt before trying to be a big hero and slag him off because let's be totally honest, no one really knows what is going on.

The only thing that has changed in the last month is crap the media want us to hear and read.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #730 on: August 25, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »

By Kevin Bartlett
SEN
25 August 2017

It wouldn’t worry me if Dustin Martin walked away from the Richmond Football Club.

He would stay because CEO Brendan Gale and director of football Neil Balme would make an offer that was fair and reasonable for the talent of Dustin Martin.

For they are outstanding administrators and they would be honest and upfront with Martin with their best offer.

And the club would be confident it has created an environment and support and development for Martin to enjoy his footy and get the best out of himself.’

If Martin moves because it’s all about money and only money then good luck to him.

He’s a professional footballer with a short career so it would be a business decision.

If he walks out the door the Tigers should shake him by the hand, thank him for his career at Punt Road and shut the book and start looking for the next great player.

For footy clubs are bigger than any individual, great names like Ian Stewart, Billy Barrot, Ron Barassi, Patrick Dangerfield, Buddy Franklin and a host of others have all packed their bags in the past and moved on and the world didn’t stop spinning.

If Martin does walk out of Punt Road the club can look supporters in the eye and say we did our best.

I’m KB, that’s my take.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/24/kbs-take-or-the-world-will-keep-spinning-if-dusty-leaves-richmond/
ANOTHER stupid old fool that got Dusty wrong before, bitter about what is going on!

The message has been the same the entire year and that's the decision will be made at the end of the season.... not the end of the season but if we are in the finals that may change because it doesn't suit everyone else.

As much as I want Dusty to stay he is entitled to go wherever he likes if the money is to good to refuse. Loyalty in footy is long gone- just asks Jimmy Bartel who desperately wanted one more year after getting paid unders his entire career, only to be told no by the Geelong FC. And that is fact.

I'm more than happy to give Dusty the benefit of the doubt before trying to be a big hero and slag him off because let's be totally honest, no one really knows what is going on.

The only thing that has changed in the last month is crap the media want us to hear and read.

Thats about the best thing you have ever posted on here

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #731 on: August 25, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »

By Kevin Bartlett
SEN
25 August 2017

I’m KB, that’s my take.

What part of KB's article was wrong?

He seems to have a similar stance to you "it's his right to chase more money if he wants to"

Who here is being a hero and slagging Dusty off?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers OK on Martin's AFL stand-off: Hardwick (SBS)
« Reply #732 on: August 25, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
Tigers OK on Martin's AFL stand-off

SBS
25 August 2017

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says players - including star Tiger Dustin Martin - meeting with other clubs is part and parcel of the AFL industry.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick maintains he's relaxed and comfortable about Dustin Martin's future as the Tigers gear up for a finals campaign without the signature of the AFL star.

Martin, the clear Brownlow Medal favourite, is out of contract at year's end and has attracted interest from rival clubs.

A News Corp report suggests North Melbourne are prepared to offer Martin the biggest deal in the history of the sport - worth $1.5 million each year until 2024.

It's claimed Martin has met with Kangaroos staff and officials, and captain Jack Ziebell, to hear their lucrative pitch.

Hardwick's view is simple.

So what?

The Tigers coach says he supports free agency and he supports Martin exploring his options.

"I think we're all big boys these days. We've got a fair understanding that this happens all the time," he said on Friday.

"North aren't the first to do it and we've certainly done it a number of times.

"We, like other clubs, will entertain players and they'll entertain ours.

"It's part and parcel of our industry at the moment so if you're not in it, you're not involved."

Without the ability to match North Melbourne's mega-money offer, Richmond are relying on the bonds formed over eight years being worth more.

Martin's first game as a Tiger, back in 2010, was also Hardwick's first as the side's coach.

"I love the kid. I've loved him the first day he came into the club and I continue to love him regardless of what happens here," Hardwick said.

"He's been a fantastic player for me. All I'm looking forward to him doing is playing his best footy. He's done that thus far and it's going to continue."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/08/25/tigers-ok-martins-afl-stand

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty's Roos chat 'part and parcel' of AFL: Hardwick (afl site)
« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
Dusty's Roos chat 'part and parcel' of AFL: Hardwick

afl.com.au
25 August 2015

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick accepts superstar Tiger Dustin Martin's meeting last month with North Melbourne is part of the new AFL world, but wishes it was not.

The Martin contract saga continues to dominate headlines as Richmond prepares to lock in a top-four berth on Sunday against St Kilda at the MCG.

AFL.com.au's Damian Barrett revealed on Channel 9's The Footy Show on Thursday night that Martin met "about six weeks ago" with key Kangaroos, including Jack Ziebell and Robbie Tarrant.

"I think we're all big boys these days, and I think we've got a fair understanding this thing happens all the time," Hardwick said.

"It's not often it makes its way into the media, (but) that's how it is. North aren't the first to do it – we've certainly done it a number of times – but is it something that probably as AFL clubs we'd lean to? Probably not.

"But it's part and parcel of our industry at the moment and so if you're not in it, you're not involved. We've got to make sure that we, like other clubs, will entertain players and they'll entertain our players – that's the nature of the land, and that's the way it goes."

North is one of the frontrunners for the Brownlow Medal favourite's services if he leaves Tigerland.

The Roos are reportedly willing to part with $1.5 million a season for seven years, or $10.5 million in total, to lure him. Richmond's best offer could come up $2.8 million short over the duration of the deal.

Martin's high-profile manager Ralph Carr hinted his client could make an announcement on his playing future as early as the pre-finals bye week. But that would likely be only if he was staying at Punt Rd.

"I really enjoy the free agency aspect. I think players, after they've been here a period of time, deserve that right, and I'm here to support Dustin one way or the other," Hardwick said.

"I love the kid, I've loved him the first day he came into the club and I'll continue to love him regardless of what happens here.

"He's been a fantastic player for me. All I'm really looking forward to him doing, and he's done on a weekly basis, is playing his best footy for me … (that is) going to continue, I'm sure."

Hardwick said the constant speculation about Martin was not distracting him or his biggest star, who is heading to New Zealand next week to see his father.

"That's outside noise. We understand it, it's reported on all the time, but it doesn't affect me one way or the other (and) it doesn't affect Dustin one way or the other," he said.

"As soon as he crosses that white line – look out."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-25/dustys-roos-meeting-part-and-parcel-of-afl-hardwick

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #734 on: August 25, 2017, 08:27:59 PM »
From Tony Sheahen's twitter page:

"Latest oil is Dusty wants to stay a Tiger, his Dad wants to listen to North Melbourne"

I wonder if Old Man Dusty is earning a quid or relying on young bloke Dusty to provide for him?