Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 163820 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #660 on: August 23, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »
I really hope Dustin stays. If it was me I would offer him a very lucrative contract. He is worth every cent. It is definitely worth investing in such a player not only for on field success but for off field success.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #661 on: August 23, 2017, 06:52:56 AM »
I really hope Dustin stays. If it was me I would offer him a very lucrative contract. He is worth every cent. It is definitely worth investing in such a player not only for on field success but for off field success.

Gee I would have thought a $1.1-$1.2 million a season for 6-7 years is a pretty lucrative contract offer

That's what the RFC have reportedly offer, certainly biggest offer by the club ever

So he's got a more than decent offer; if he choses not to accept it then it was never about the club, his mates or team success it was just about the $$. And her gets a new nickname - Gordon as in Gordon Geeko = "Greed is Good"  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #662 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:03 AM »
We all want him to stay but matching other clubs offers may not be in our best interests.
Let's say it takes 1.4 over 7 years. Crazy talk but that will be the rate North or simeone will offer.
From then on Dusty has a huge ball and chain around his neck.
He will be expected to perform, much like a dancing monkey, for the next 7 years, and when he doesn't, the critics will come hard and fast.
Pressure will build and he may go back to the dark side to console himself.
OR
He may go on to become a truly great player of the game and we will be lauded for backing him, or booed for letting him go.
What result would all this hype and money have on the fabric of the team he plays for next season?
Only time will tell.

I think a fair question to ask is
"What would you do if you were Dustin Martin?"

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #663 on: August 23, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »
Ralph Carr has Benny Gale upside by the ankle on the Punt Rd grandstand laughing maniacally while trying to shake some
Loose change out of his trousers...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #664 on: August 23, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »

Gee I would have thought a $1.1-$1.2 million a season for 6-7 years is a pretty lucrative contract offer

That's what the RFC have reportedly offer, certainly biggest offer by the club ever

So he's got a more than decent offer; if he choses not to accept it then it was never about the club, his mates or team success it was just about the $$. And her gets a new nickname - Gordon as in Gordon Geeko = "Greed is Good"  ;D

Exactly.

The thing that gets me is this

An extra 2 mil is like an extra 1. Wouldn't he make that money back in marketing playing for us?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #665 on: August 23, 2017, 08:35:38 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong but the club has not announced officially what it has offered Dustin to stay. Therefore caution needs to be exercised when raising figures. Furthermore we are not privy to the contract negotiations and therefore to speculate on a player's motive in accepting or rejecting an offer is a dangerous practice. To draw inferences about a player's motive whilst not being privy to the positions of the parties as outlined in the contract negotiations is unfair. There are many factors at play here.

dwaino

« Reply #666 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
Not just the money but 7 years is a long time too. That puts him at 34? He may start seriously start tapering off at 30 or begin breaking down like Lids. I would prefer 5 or maybe 6 with triggers. I assume it would be somewhat front loaded to take these things into account but these figures mentioned for the length of 7 years are dangerous.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #667 on: August 23, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
His deal will open the floodgates and soon become the norm for the top players....Bontempelli, Kelly...and by the time gun kids like McGrath, Burton, Curnow, Hipwood, Petracca  & Powell-Pepper are at their peak no-one will bat an eyelid at these kind of offers....

You'd hope we have a contigency plan because he's not leaving us with much time to do anything else.....

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:11:55 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #668 on: August 23, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »
Not just the money but 7 years is a long time too. That puts him at 34? He may start seriously start tapering off at 30 or begin breaking down like Lids. I would prefer 5 or maybe 6 with triggers. I assume it would be somewhat front loaded to take these things into account but these figures mentioned for the length of 7 years are dangerous.
We're not getting away from anything less 6 years with a trigger of an extra year and $1.2m per year....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
“Dustin Martin stays on $1.2m a year at Richmond,” Jon Ralph predicted on SEN's Hungry For Sport.

“When he put off his contract in October he said, ‘I want success, I want to see if Richmond is successful.’

“I think they’ve held up their end of the bargain.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/23/ralphys-bombshell-trade-predictions/

Former North Melbourne and St Kilda midfielder Nick Dal Santo says the potential $1.5 million a year deal offered by his former club to Richmond star Dustin Martin has almost hit the tipping point of too much money.

“There has to be a tipping point at some stage where paying one player that volume of money, and break it down into a percentage, 12 percent of your TPP that therefore you can’t pay other players,” Dal Santo said on SEN Breakfast.

“If I was honest I would look at Brad Scott and Cameron Joyce (football chief) and say fantastic, to a certain point, a certain value.

“Ben Brown is out of contract and deserves more money, but okay then we lose Ben Brown because he can’t get paid, modestly to what Dusty is, but what he deserves.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/08/22/dusty-deal-good-to-a-point-says-ex-roo/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
Breaking news
Honest to god, the most important thing to hi is his dad and I've heard on good authority
He's going to do a Jarryd Hayne and give the All bluks a shot.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
I don't know what is happening and what his deal is for delaying apart from that is what he said he was going to do.
We all know we haven't been able to land a big fish in recent times, but one thing the club has been real good at is keeping it's playing group. I still am very confident he is staying.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »
Breaking news
Honest to god, the most important thing to hi is his dad and I've heard on good authority

get off the ice pipe
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
Breaking news

Is you on Crack?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
 Ricky Nixon‏ @rickynixontoot 4 hours ago

"Every1 needs to take a deep breath on D Martin his Agent Ralph Carr has been OS for a month just back he needs to make sure he's thorough"

https://twitter.com/rickynixontoot