Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 166541 times)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread [merged]
« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
Just makes you wonder how the AFL allows them to pay a player 1.5 mill a season.This is a club that gets handouts $$$$ year after year roos for how long or else they would be gone and continue to be on life support. That is poor management from both parties. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin insists he isn't worried as Dustin Martin considers his future (H-Sun)
« Reply #796 on: August 29, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin insists he isn't worried as Dustin Martin considers his future

LAUREN WOOD,
Herald Sun
29 August 2017

RICHMOND skipper Trent Cotchin isn’t spooked by his close friend Dustin Martin’s New Zealand jaunt.

Martin, 26, is currently in Auckland with his manager Ralph Carr to visit his father, Shane, and to consider his playing future.

But Cotchin — who considers the star midfielder one of his closest friends — has maintained that he is not rattled by the fact that Martin remains uncommitted, or that he has travelled abroad to consider his options.

“I’m not worried,” Cotchin told the Herald Sun.

“It is what it is. As I’ve said in media, to him, and to others ... the reality is that he’s a contracted player until October at the Richmond footy club.

“I’m just enjoying being part of his show this year. It’s been an impressive one to watch and I’m really proud of the way he’s been so resilient with so much being spoken about, but also his ability to do the work that he does behind closed doors and then come out and perform on weekends.”

Martin today firmed to be the shortest-priced Brownlow Medal favourite ever, coming in from $1.20 to $1.12 with TAB following Sunday’s electric performance against St Kilda.

He has maintained all year that he would consider his contract at season’s end.

Martin’s final quarter goal against St Kilda on Sunday as the Tigers romped to a 44-point victory raised the Tiger faithful to a new level, and even Cotchin said he has been impressed by his friend’s ability to produce the sublime this season.

“The last quarter (on Sunday), in the first five minutes — there was a number of guys that did amazing things,” he said.

“But the cream does rise to the top and there’s been plenty of cream (from Dustin) this year.”

Richmond has offered the star — who will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season — a seven-year deal in the vicinity of $1.1 million per season, while North Melbourne has reportedly brought a seven-year, $1.5 million per year deal to the table.

Martin is expected to return to Melbourne before tomorrow night’s All-Australian team announcement function.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-skipper-trent-cotchin-insists-he-isnt-worried-as-dustin-martin-considers-his-future/news-story/442f053072ec03c9a3c6eb80258d4bc9

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #797 on: August 29, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
Just makes you wonder how the AFL allows them to pay a player 1.5 mill a season.This is a club that gets handouts $$$$ year after year roos for how long or else they would be gone and continue to be on life support. That is poor management from both parties.

Easily, all clubs have a salary cap and must pay a minimum % of it. Who a club gives it to is of no concern to the AFL and TBH nor it should be

Further to that the AFL is funding the 2018 increase in salary cap for all clubs via their yearly AFL dividend payment

So as I said = easily
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #798 on: August 29, 2017, 02:33:26 PM »

The AFL has in part created this problem. They insist each club spend a minimum % of their TPP.

North has opened up salary cap space with the retirement of several high paid players over the last two years and on top of this the TPP is increasing by about $2million.

North have an accounting problem.

They do not have enough or any players that deserve mega $ contracts. So their first plan was to get Kelly and Martin to the club on big contracts. Since Kelly has said no then they have doubled down on Martin.

Given the accounting problem they have now I expect the contract is heavily front ended with the first year or two in excess of $2million. Martin's contact $s would then progressively decrease over the 7 year contract and North would be planning for some of their kids to step up and be paid higher $ contracts.

It is this heavily front ended part that has Martin in two minds. Richmond would not be able to match these terms.

Just my take on it.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #799 on: August 29, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
This is friggen torturous.  The only lowlight in a marvelous season. 

Im mentally preparing myself for bad news .  There was a rumor on BF that there will be a exclusive announcement on the footy show this Thursday- and that Dusty was staying .  Smells like BS - not Dustys style.

Unleash the tornado

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #800 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »

Im mentally preparing myself for bad news .  There was a rumor on BF that there will be a exclusive announcement on the footy show this Thursday- and that Dusty was staying .  Smells like BS - not Dustys style.
Why can't we just have a season without some sort of drama or controvery ?

If this does get announced on the footy show then this truly is/was a circus and was always designed to be one.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #801 on: August 29, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
So Dusty wants to stay and has to get around the od fella, Huh.
Caracella and Balmey.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #802 on: August 29, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »

Why can't we just have a season without some sort of drama or controvery ?

If this does get announced on the footy show then this truly is/was a circus and was always designed to be one.

Wouldn't be surprised

I'm sure I read in one of the many articles over the weekend that he's supposedly signed to do some sort of exclusive TV deal

Was it in Caro's article or Jon Ralph's? Can't remember and can't be stuffed looking
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #803 on: August 29, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #804 on: August 29, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #806 on: August 29, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »
Hate to tell ya but......

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #807 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »
Tim Watson reporting on Channel 7 that Dusty is on his way home and 2 new clubs have emerged in the hunt for dusty...
Coming up soon.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #808 on: August 29, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
Tim Watson reporting on Channel 7 that Dusty is on his way home and 2 new clubs have emerged in the hunt for dusty...
Coming up soon.
Syd and St Kilda and Hawthoen an Geeling and ......