Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 167466 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #945 on: September 01, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
1.2 is cheap.

FFS Carlton paid Kouta $1 million in 1999!!!!!

Once in a generation player now safe in our grasp. We can afford to drop one spud from the senior list and play with 39.

Well done RFC.  :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'I could've made Dusty announcement nude & no one would care': Gale (afl site)
« Reply #946 on: September 01, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
'I could have made the announcement nude': Gale

afl.com.au
1 September 2017

RICHMOND boss Brendon Gale concedes the television announcement of the multi-million dollar re-signing of star Dustin Martin was far from ideal but flagged it as the way of the future.

The Tigers missed the opportunity to release one of the biggest news stories in the club's history, having to hand control to Martin and his manager Ralph Carr, who sold it to Channel Nine's The Footy Show for a reported $50,000.

It was shades of NBA star LeBron James, who announced his deal with Miami Heat via a live television special titled 'The Decision'.

Gale said the Tigers would have preferred to make the announcement themselves.

"It certainly wasn't our preference," Gale said.

"The most important thing about this footy club is our members and we would much prefer that we had given our members the opportunity to hear first."

With Martin reportedly giving up as much as $2 million dollars in choosing the Tigers over a mega-deal offered by North Melbourne, Gale said he couldn't deny him the television pay-off.

"I'm not going to begrudge Dustin - he's turned his back on a lot of money which is incredible, so to do a paid exclusive interview and get a bit of earn, I'm comfortable with that and I'm sure our fans are comfortable too," he said.

"I could have made the announcement nude and our fans wouldn't care."

Gale said the way the news was released was something that clubs may have to get used to.

"Clubs do tend to want to control everything but perhaps it's the way of future, that the nature of our business is increasingly an entertainment business.

Despite the massive deal Gale didn't think Martin, who has always been reticent about the spotlight and the media, would become a spokesman for the club.

"I wouldn't expect much change in the way he goes about things; for us the high payoff is the way he goes about things on the footy field," Gale said.

"He's extraordinarily popular but that comes through his on-field deeds."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/i-could-have-made-the-announcement-nude

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Balme whacks free agency - "It's a crock of rubbish" (SEN)
« Reply #947 on: September 01, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
Balmey let rip at free agency this morning:

“It’s a crock of rubbish”

By SEN
1 September 2017

Richmond football manager Neil Balme has delivered a passionate whack to the AFL’s free agency system.

While Balme was pleased with Dustin Martin re-signing with Richmond for seven years, calling it “fantastic” and “wonderful,” he isn’t happy with the process the Brownlow Medal favourite had to go through.

“I think free agency is a crock of rubbish, it doesn’t help footy at all and it doesn’t help anyone,” Balme told SEN’s Hungry For Sport.

“I hate how everyone is so keen on coming up with rubbish which is nothing like what really happening. The more you have things like free agency, where the AFL advertises in March, all these players are free agents, lets get some pathetic media on everyone, it puts enormous pressure on clubs and players.

“It’s very low level, rubbish media coverage which I think is awful.”

However, Balme did acknowledge Martin’s choice to explore other options, as he met with North Melbourne, who offered him a 1.5 million dollar deal.

“We need to go through the process and Dusty is well within his rights to do exactly what he has done, which we have always said,” he said.

“There is no doubt he wanted to stay at his club like most people do. When you get that heap of money thrown at you, you have to consider it and we are very empathetic to that. Fortunately, we have been able to find enough to satisfy him.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/it-s-a-crock-of-rubbish/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #948 on: September 01, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
And finally a reminder on which club sells papers  :whistle.

https://twitter.com/taraceebee/status/903424281698222080

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #949 on: September 01, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
I think Ralph Carr had a lot more to do with Dusty staying with us in the end than what a few people think. I think Ralph in the end bought him home.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #950 on: September 01, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Then Ralph Carr who said Dusty was going last Wednesday until he went over to NZ and sat down with is dad to discuss everything with all the facts on the table. They all agreed that Richmond was the best place for Dusty to be.

Good old Ralphy

Admited that a week ago Dusty was goneskis

Then went on to say "Richmond was the best place for US to be"  :chuck
That bloke looks like he's in love with his own shadow. Haven't ever heard a manager before state how much money they actually turned down to stay at a club.

Ralph Carr reminds me of Bebe from Frasier.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #951 on: September 01, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
Im just relieved.

A week ago I was convinced he was gone .

I've never watched a brownlow night and seen a Richmond recipient......to have him stolen would tarnish a wonderful experience.   

Dusty is a superstar.

The kids and I are looking forward to that as well.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Balme whacks free agency - "It's a crock of rubbish" (SEN)
« Reply #952 on: September 01, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »

“It’s very low level, rubbish media coverage which I think is awful.”

Nailed it there

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #953 on: September 01, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
I think Ralph Carr had a lot more to do with Dusty staying with us in the end than what a few people think. I think Ralph in the end bought him home.

Errr nope.

Not the merkin...

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #954 on: September 01, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
Gale rubbished claims the Tigers had been forced to increase their offer to Martin in recent weeks. Senior Tigers officials also rejected claims on Friday that Martin would pocket $1.3 million a year. It's understood Martin will pocket no more than $1.2 million a year.

Gale would not disclose if there were trigger clauses in Martin's contract, particularly in the latter years, to help safeguard the club should Martin struggle for form or have a serious injury and not return as the player he once was – as was the case with Dale Thomas after he crossed from Collingwood to Carlton.

Young Tiger Dan Butler revealed 30 players – including Martin – had gathered at Cotchin's house to watch Martin's pre-recorded announcement.

"He left the room when it was on. All of us watched it. We were pretty rapt he signed," Butler said.

"It's obviously a massive boost for us. It's really good to get it out of the way and know that he is committed to us."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-insists-dustin-martin-contract-wont-clog-salary-cap-20170901-gy8mla.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #955 on: September 01, 2017, 09:14:16 PM »
“After I kicked a goal (last weekend) they were going crazy and I just thought, ‘How good is this?’.”

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #956 on: September 01, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »
Wonder if norf have scouts out tonight or tomorrow for the state of origin women's game to see if they can offer someone there 15 million and still get knocked back....lmfao
Spewin I'm banned from Big Stupidville

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #957 on: September 02, 2017, 12:48:57 AM »
I'm sure he'd have weighed up an offer from Woodville-West Torrens had the money been right.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #958 on: September 02, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
Ralph Carr: "But Dusty, it's $2m more at North?"

Dusty:

https://twitter.com/bmaher_/status/903558152292929536

;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #959 on: September 02, 2017, 11:44:34 AM »
:lol