Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 166543 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #975 on: September 03, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
 :lol
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]
« Reply #977 on: September 03, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »
Weve got Claw, by the looks of it theyve got Dringle....

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #978 on: September 03, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
From a North supporter of course....

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/4-dustin-martin-contract-talk-7-more-years.1174217/page-371#post-52240140

...good to see them taking it well...

I reckon it is great that the majority of North fans want to see an interstate team win it, because that is what they will be in about 5 years time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #979 on: September 04, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »
Sheahan's "problem" with Dusty Footy Show announcement

By SEN
4 September 2017

Former Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan has admitted he was not a fan of Dustin Martin broadcasting his decision to stay at Richmond via The Footy Show.

He said while the Tigers were accepting of Martin making his announcement in a paid interview, they were far from comfortable with the situation.

“I didn’t view the club any different, they were in a very awkward situation. I didn’t like it at all when the announcement was made on The Footy Show,” Sheahan said on SEN Breakfast.

“It’s a Richmond announcement, and I think they’ve articulated that.

“The problem they had was that because Dusty was seen to have conceded so many hundreds of thousands of dollars, then when he said I can get, I’m thinking 40 or 50k back by Channel Nine, they rolled over, but they didn’t do it with any degree of comfort.

“It seemed that the television station made the call, rather than the footy club.”

Tim Watson said while the TV interview may have been the only way to solidify Martin’s signature, he believed it made Richmond look like a small club, and made the individual look bigger than the club.

“They had to bend over so far to get this deal done,” he said.

“It makes the club look small doesn’t it? I understand why they did it, and probably it was the only thing they could do under the circumstances to make sure that deal went through, but it makes it look like an individual is bigger than the club.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/04/sheahans-problem-with-dusty-footy-show-announcement/

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 'I could've made Dusty announcement nude & no one would care': Gale (afl site)
« Reply #980 on: September 04, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
"I could have made the announcement nude and our fans wouldn't care."

Look, I'm going to have to disagree there...

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
I was highly likely to drop my Richmond membership and just become a supporter, rather than a member.

Careful, you might rile up some people on this forum

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
I was highly likely to drop my Richmond membership and just become a supporter, rather than a member.

I hate being negative, but I am seriously fed up with the AFL.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame

I hate being negative, but I am seriously fed up with the AFL.

And here is why

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-could-pay-forward-tom-lynch-for-ambassadorial-role-should-he-resign-at-gold-coast-beyond-2018/news-story/0ee762b5031aeaaa682fb5b6da5fac8f

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #984 on: September 05, 2017, 03:06:58 AM »
Stuffen AFL are a bunch of crooks

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #985 on: September 05, 2017, 04:40:35 AM »
Choco reveals “intimate” knowledge of Dusty situation

By SEN
4 September 2017

Former Richmond assistant coach Mark Williams has revealed how much he knew about Dustin Martin’s contractual situation.

Martin re-signed with the Tigers on a seven-year deal reportedly worth $1.3 million last week, and the 2004 premiership coach has explained how involved he was in the process.

Williams also delve deep into how the picture painted of Martin’s Dad, Shane, during the contract negotiations was an inaccurate one.

“Every now and again, I got a random phone call from someone at Richmond,” Williams told SEN Afternoons.

“They wanted to know what was happening with Dusty. Dustin and I talked about it. I spoke about three-or-four times with his Dad.

“All the supporters were putting Shane into a bit of a box, saying he just wants Dusty for money, but they’re completely wrong. Shane was always about looking after Dustin and what the best thing was for him. I had an intimate knowledge of exactly what was going on.

“It was good to talk through a father’s concern about what’s best for Dustin. What it means to be a one-club player, how difficult it would be to go to another club.”

Williams also described how Martin, the 2017 Brownlow Medal favourite, held all the bargaining power over the Tigers, something that hadn’t happened in previous deals.

“Dustin and I had been through a couple other contractual discussions with Richmond prior to this one, where Richmond held the whip handle,” he said.

“In the end, I told Dusty, don’t worry, sign this one and just wait for the next one. He delivered and then he held the whip handle.

“The management with [manager] Ralph [Carr]…Dusty has been so happy to work with him, they said here is the number, Richmond you deliver this number, and we will sign. That’s what happened.”

North Melbourne was one of the favourites to secure Martin’s services, attempting to lure him to Arden Street with a monstrous $1.5 million deal. The Roos have also shown heavy interest in out of contract GWS superstar Josh Kelly, and Williams told Martin to seek confirmation the Giant midfielder would join him at North.

“I said to him, if you go to this other club, you better know other people are coming,” he said.

“You don’t want to be jumping and nobody else comes. If it were North, you’d want to know Josh Kelly is coming as well. When you’re seen as the savior, it adds a massive amount of pressure.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/04/choco-reveals-intimate-knowledge-of-dusty-situation/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #986 on: September 05, 2017, 04:43:47 AM »
Caro on Footy Classified last night disputed Ralph Carr's claim that Dusty was going to North a week before he went to NZ and his re-signing with Richmond. She reckons Dusty wanted to stay at Richmond and was only considering North's offer as part of doing his due diligence.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #987 on: September 06, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »
The more I hear or read of "chocco" the more I realise how detrimental he was to us being a successful team. Poor decision to hire him and a good decision was to show him the door and get someone who actually could teach the kids skill properly and not just with megalomaniacal personal anecdotes.

This guy is in love with his own shadow.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #988 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:23 AM »
Dustin Martin is worth every penny

Friday night's match needed a hero, and 'Dusty' knew it. He began asserting himself on the game late in the third quarter but he really got rolling at the start of the fourth. Every time he touched the ball he did something purposeful and the Cats had no answer for him. His highlight came when he fended off both Mitch Duncan and Tom Stewart 60m from goal before launching a bomb to Shaun Grigg in the goalsquare. It was the goal that broke the Cats' back and the Tigers went on a five-goal run. Martin's finals appearances have netted him 19, 29 and 21 possessions, but he has flourished as a superstar of the competition since his last September appearance. He had 28 with nine inside 50s and six clearances and will carry the Tigers on his shoulders through this month.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-08/five-things-we-learned-from-geelong-v-richmond

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #989 on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
Do I dare point out it wasn't until Guthrie (the man tagging him) went off injured?