Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 408688 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Tom Lynch is a Tiger [official]
« Reply #1395 on: June 01, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »
If Higgins, Broad, and Dud Soldo can cop it then so can this guy given he is paid the most. You can't defend that performance last night as I have in the past with him.

Last night he was putrid. If it wasn't for Soldo it would have been the worst game by anyone this year IMO. Did  he forget to jump and make a contest, or was he still injured?? He played like a girl last night and that's probably an insult to them

I hope it was a one off because things are about to get tougher
Soldo was better than Lynch IMO.

Soldo development player new to footy and backup ruckman only.
Base salary only.
4 disposals. 4 contested possessions. (1 kick. 3 handpasses) 100% efficiency. 15 pressure acts.
1 beautiful blind-turn pickup on the wing. 2 contested marks and 7 tackles.

Lynch Big Fish franchise player and former club captain full forward extraordinaire.
Salary 1,000,000 / year.
5 disposals. 3 contested. (5 kicks) 60% efficiency. 7 pressure acts.
0 ground balls pickups. 3 marks (1 contested) 2 tackles.

Both were poor but at least Soldo was prepared to lay tackles and apply pressure.

Lynch just wasn’t prepared to do any of that last night and really should be dropped for that performance if the club is fairdinkum about club standards.
The more talented you are the more we all expect from you and effort is the one thing that should be a non negotiable when putting on the jumper and walking across that white line.

I’ve given him some grace early because of his injuries and no real preseason but it’s round 11 and I won’t put up with Sideshow Bob type efforts from anyone especially our BIG FISH.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1396 on: June 01, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
Stop reading after "Soldo was better than Lynch..." :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1397 on: June 01, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »
Lynch clearly still under done and hampered by last week's corky. No choice but to play given our pack of KPF depth at current with Jack out.

F50 delivery was terrible.

I want to see more out of him personally but I'm looking beyond his first few months, he's a long-term prospect for the club and is still working up to his best.

Biggest problems are in the midfield for me...

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1398 on: June 01, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »
Lynch clearly still under done and hampered by last week's corky. No choice but to play given our pack of KPF depth at current with Jack out.

F50 delivery was terrible.

I want to see more out of him personally but I'm looking beyond his first few months, he's a long-term prospect for the club and is still working up to his best.

Biggest problems are in the midfield for me...
This. We were murdered in the centre. We were murdered in tackling  We were murdered in work rate.

We were just murdered......  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1399 on: June 01, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
Stop reading after "Soldo was better than Lynch..." :biglaugh :biglaugh :biglaugh
I’m not saying Soldo was good last night but if comparing to the game Lynch had, he was considerably better in his work rate and effort than Lynch.

The difference is I don’t expect much from Soldo as he’s just a fill in. Lynch shouldn’t be playing this poor but facts are facts he was worse than Soldo last night. Fact.

Either way both were extremely poor.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1400 on: June 01, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »
The guy had a limited preseason. Think long term. Remember we lost to Freo with that horrible centre setup which allowed Mundy to kick that goal, got spanked by St Kilda and played poorly against Geelong and still won the premiership.

I’d rather he slowly build his fitness and be ready for finals. He’s 3rd on the Coleman so he isn’t doing too badly I think

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1401 on: June 01, 2019, 01:50:59 PM »
I’m not saying Soldo was good last night but if comparing to the game Lynch had, he was considerably better in his work rate and effort than Lynch.

The difference is I don’t expect much from Soldo as he’s just a fill in. Lynch shouldn’t be playing this poor but facts are facts he was worse than Soldo last night. Fact.

Either way both were extremely poor.

soldo is the biggest dud ive seen take the field as a ruckman, and on last nights performance includes hampson. Seriously is so poo.

Lynch had a bad night but il be backing him in ahead of that imposter who has been on our list as long as hammer was. We all know what a complete waste of time that was.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1402 on: June 04, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »
Matthew Lloyd says that there’s more work to do for Tom Lynch this season. #9FootyClassified

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FootyClassified/status/1135531479969099777

Lloyd said he wouldn't go as far as last time when he called Lynch a "liability" but Rance was right during the preseason when he said Lynch still had things to work on. Lloyd said Lynch is moving too early into his 'space' as the ball comes in. So he is often getting dragged and caught under the ball. Lloyd added that he'd love to give Lynch some one-on-one training to help him.

Judd said a PCL is a harder injury to come back fully from. He said Lynch needs another preseason of upper leg work to get fully right.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1403 on: June 04, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »
Game isn't quite the same Lloyd... But I'd still be happy for him to give free coaching to Lynch haha. No denying the VS was a gun...

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1404 on: June 04, 2019, 09:23:42 AM »
Lloyd said he wouldn't go as far as last time when he called Lynch a "liability" but Rance was right during the preseason when he said Lynch still had things to work on. Lloyd said Lynch is moving too early into his 'space' as the ball comes in. So he is often getting dragged and caught under the ball. Lloyd added that he'd love to give Lynch some one-on-one training to help him.

Stuff no, as if we need Lynch falling over playing for frees, keep that stuffing idiot away from him please

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1405 on: June 04, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »

Stuff no, as if we need Lynch falling over playing for frees, keep that stuffing idiot away from him please

Hmmm......

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1406 on: June 04, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »

Hmmm......

Only because the umpires hate us and wouldn't pay them, probably get him a stint on the sidelines for staging

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Time for Tiger Lynch to get moving: Wayne Carey (Age)
« Reply #1407 on: June 07, 2019, 04:15:41 AM »
Tale of two Toms: Time for Tiger Lynch to get moving

Wayne Carey
The Age
7 June 2019

With a mixture of experience and greater confidence in his body, last year Hawkins really was the complete forward and unlucky not to be selected in the All-Australian team. Aggressive in the contest and clean below his knees, he is much more than just a kick-mark forward.

Last year he did it despite the fact he was often under immense pressure as the focal point of the Geelong forward-line. Tom would have gone into every game knowing that such was the reliance on him that he probably needed to play well for the Cats to win.

That's not to say he wasn't a very good player previously, just that he's taken his game to a new level.

At times during his career, he's been more one-dimensional, but recently he's managed to get himself up the ground more often. Like Jack Riewoldt - who I also think has enjoyed his best footy in the past two seasons, even better than his Coleman Medal years - Hawkins has honed his craft. He knows when to push up and be a target down the line and when to stay closer to home.

It's that multi-dimensional play that Lynch needs to develop in his new surroundings. We know he can do it, because he showed us when he was on the Gold Coast.

A slower start to the pre-season following knee surgery last year would certainly have an impact, because if you don't get that solid block of training in pre-Christmas, you're generally chasing your tail for the entire season.

Without knowing the intricate details of his program, it's unlikely he would have got anywhere near the volume of running in his legs he'd need to be firing. And if you try and increase those loads now, it can make you more sluggish when it matters on the weekend.

That being said, looking at Lynch's overall numbers so far in 2019, they just aren't good enough, particularly when compared with Hawkins.

After 11 matches Hawkins has been the target inside 50 on just 21 per cent of the Cats' entries, compared with Lynch's 30 per cent for the Tigers. Yet Hawkins is averaging more touches (13.9 a game compared with 8.2 for Lynch), more marks (5.7 to 3.7) and more score involvements (8.3 to 5.0).

If Lynch is not marking the footy, he's having very little influence, and that was exploited last Friday night when he had just five touches and was pushed around by the North Melbourne defence.

The key to overcoming those types of issues is, firstly, work rate, and then an absolute commitment to the contest.

Don't allow your opponent to manipulate you. Make sure you're the one putting them in uncomfortable positions. If you tell yourself before the game you're going to be bashed and battered and you're mentally ready for any punishment that comes your way, it can become easier once the game begins.

Lynch's body language and the way he holds himself will be important not just for teammates feeding off him but also to send a message to a Geelong defence that will be looking for any weakness.

Whoever he plays on, whether it be Mark Blicavs, Tom Stewart or Harry Taylor, he's facing All-Australian quality.

Compete and create a contest when he's outnumbered, and suddenly the confidence around him also grows. For Richmond that's especially crucial because of the way they set up with so many smaller pressure forwards. They need to know where the footy is going and where it will drop.

Selflessness has been a major virtue for Riewoldt and Hawkins in recent years. Now Lynch must produce the same. Richmond's fate depends on it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tale-of-two-toms-time-for-tiger-lynch-to-get-moving-20190606-p51v82.html

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1408 on: June 07, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Wayne got it on the money with his article IMHO

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1409 on: June 07, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
Yes Carey has covered it well. His advice to Lynch about how to overcome the close checking by the opposition defenders, by increasing his work rate, is also good advice.

But Carey had the answer in the earlier part of this article when discussing Lynch missing all the pre-season

A slower start to the pre-season following knee surgery last year would certainly have an impact, because if you don't get that solid block of training in pre-Christmas, you're generally chasing your tail for the entire season.

Without knowing the intricate details of his program, it's unlikely he would have got anywhere near the volume of running in his legs he'd need to be firing. And if you try and increase those loads now, it can make you more sluggish when it matters on the weekend.

Describes Lynch's season to date perfectly. He has looked sluggish.

And if the club would have an eye on Lynch being fully fit and firing for the latter part of the year. So makes sense to get extra training loads into Lynch now. We will only know for sure at the end of the season.