Author Topic: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.  (Read 34965 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
Brandon Ellis a certainty to play now. No match up for The Broad Sword :shh

Broad could play on a number of their forwards.  DeGoey, Mihocek, Stephenson.  Reckon he plays

Stephenson the only one I'd even consider playing him on. DeGoey would kick 8 on him dude.

Grimes/DeGoey
Vlas/Mihocek
Astbury/Cox
Rance to play off Mayne and take intercept marks all night long.

Can't afford to carry someone like Broad who'll likely struggle on a dry night against a decent opponent and also rack up less than 5 kicks. Need another runner. This time last year I'd have full confidence in Broady...not right now  :shh

Ulterior motive  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »
We have to tag Sidebottom imo.
We cannot let him just rack up kicks across our half forwardlne.
Our backline will do the job on their forwards, and Nank, Cotch, Martin and Lambert will do what they always do, but we need our pressure forwards to not let them have easy exits from our forwardline like the last couple of games the Pies have played.

We should realistically take care of them fairly easy if we play well but I must admit I’m nervous about this game. I think whoever wins it, wins it all.

🤞 it’s us.

And unless their is an injury to one of our backs, we are spared watching Bellis again this year.
Thank stuff!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
Will Ticketek handle 180k people trying to buy approx 55k tickets survive or will we witness a system meltdown again?

Whatever the outcome good luck everyone in trying to get tickets

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
I would bring in Butler for this game. He will be champing at the bit. His pace is needed and he should play IMHO.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »
Can't wait to read every article mentioning Collingwoods injuries.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2018, 11:54:46 AM »
Can't wait to read every article mentioning Collingwoods injuries.
Or six day break.
The club that keeps giving.

dwaino

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »
Or how a review saved Buckley and installed new assistents while he changed the club’s attitude and game plan to a way that has never been done.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
And unless their is an injury to one of our backs, we are spared watching Bellis again this year.
Thank stuff!

There*

:thumbsup
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
Or how a review saved Buckley and installed new assistents while he changed the club’s attitude and game plan to a way that has never been done.

This

:lol

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL preliminary final preview: Richmond v Collingwood (Age)
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
AFL preliminary final preview: Richmond v Collingwood

Peter Ryan
The Age
16 Sep 2018

Richmond and Collingwood represent the best example of football's latest iteration, both teams saying goodbye to possession football and hello to quick ball movement and chaotic entries inside 50.

It may not be pretty but that won't matter because few clashes have been as anticipated as this one between two clubs with the most fanatic supporters in the competition.

They have not played a final since the 1980 decider and would have been long odds to play each other in a preliminary final this century at the end of 2016, let alone just two years later.

An upset win by the Magpies would be comparable to Carlton's memorable victory over Essendon in the 1999 preliminary final and deny the Tigers the chance to become back-to-back premiers for the first time since 1973-74.

Collingwood's path to the preliminary final has followed a similar track to the one the Tigers took in 2017 with an under-siege coach keeping his job after a club wide review and then taking the team from 13th into third spot.

Unlike the Tigers who have remained free of injury for most of the past two seasons, the Magpies have kept coming despite suffering injury after injury, losing a tight qualifying final to the Eagles before bouncing back against the Giants.

As a result Richmond have maintained flag favouritism for most of the season while the Magpies' flag chances have been repeatedly written off.

But that will mean little to the hordes of supporters following the result as Collingwood has sensed all season they are closing in on the Tigers.

HISTORY LESSON

Richmond have beaten Collingwood twice this season and have not lost to them in their past four encounters.

On both occasions in 2018, the Magpies have remained in the contest until three-quarter time before being blown away in the final quarter.

But the Magpies took confidence from their most recent match as they were in touch at the final break before any hope of keeping pace was ruined when defenders Jeremy Howe and Matt Scharenberg were both lost to injury.

In that game Collingwood won contested possession and out-tackled the Tigers but they were not good enough to match Richmond over four quarters. The Tigers had an even contribution with every player collecting between 11 and 22 disposals.

It won't mean much to anyone but the fans, but Collingwood has not beaten Richmond in a final since 1937.

X-FACTOR

Richmond have Dusty Martin, who sparked their qualifying final victory, but they also have brilliant livewire forwards Jack Higgins and Dan Rioli.

Martin can expect Levi Greenwood to run with him but the reigning Brownlow medallist only needs a couple of moments to turn the game Richmond's way.

Higgins is a smart footballer who plays beyond his years, his audacious goal against the Magpies in round 19 one of the year's highlights, while Collingwood don't have an obvious match up for Rioli.

Jordan De Goey is Collingwood's obvious X-factor in front of goal but Brodie Grundy has a chance to expose Toby Nankervis and deny Richmond the forward 50 entries they need to prevail.

TACTICS

Get the ball forward, quickly and without care, so the opposition have to defend under pressure in dangerous positions.

Lack of finesse is a Tiger trademark and the Magpies have improved by adopting a similar game that prioritises territory over perfect ball movement.

Both teams like to bring the ball to ground in their front half and fight to build pressure and create repeat entries inside 50.

The Tigers are the best team at scoring from turnovers by a long way and are incredibly efficient too but the Magpies have built their game on defending hard before racing the ball up the ground to rob the opposition of time to reset their defence.

Both have small forward lines that compete in the air but are frightening when the ball hits the ground and if you are not clean with the ball they will swarm all over you and run hard forward.

PREDICTION

It would be folly to tip against Richmond based on their form in finals, at the MCG and their recent wins against Collingwood.

However Collingwood have a similar blend of experience and explosive, precocious youth and a game style to worry the Tigers.

As always the midfield battle will be critical as both teams depend on gaining territory.

Richmond's Toby Nankervis leads Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert into battle but the Magpies should win contested ball with Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Adam Treloar and Taylor Adams as well credentialled.

Richmond have a star forward in Jack Riewoldt that the Magpies lack while only Howe sits on a par with Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes, David Astbury and Nick Vlastuin when defenders are mentioned.

Richmond by 24 points.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/preliminary-final-preview-richmond-v-collingwood-20180913-p503na.html

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
Will Ticketek handle 180k people trying to buy approx 55k tickets survive or will we witness a system meltdown again?

Is there any limitations?  Any tiger member can try and get a ticket?  First in best dressed?

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »
Finals frequently asked questions

Tickets to Richmond's preliminary final will go on-sale as per the following...

One ticket per member barcode

Ticket on-sale

Club Members – 9am, Monday September 17

General Public –  2pm, Monday September 17

AFL Members – 9am, Tuesday September 18

General Phone: 132 849   
Find a Ticketek Agency, click here             
For Wheelchair and Accessible Seating: 1300 665 915 

Tickets cannot be purchased through the Richmond Football Club.

How are tickets sold?

Tickets will be sold on a first in, next best available basis and will be subject to availability.

You will be able to purchase based on your preferred price category for the first three weeks of finals. However due to the demand for tickets, all ticket agents are advised to sell ‘next best available’ to make the allocation process fast and convenient for purchasers.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/finals/finals-faq

ummmm are tickets sales for members, from 9am to 1pm or 9am to 11am?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »

Is there any limitations?  Any tiger member can try and get a ticket?  First in best dressed?

Yep first in best dressed between 9am and 1pm
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2018, 05:18:09 PM »
Good point in the age article about our 4 a grade defenders plus you can throw in short and houli.  The pies won't get scoring shots as easily as last night

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
Yesterday against Giants pies had space and did as they pleased.I seen a bit of pressure and tackling from giants in there forward 50 and pies were under pressure.Got to bring the heat from our forwsrd 50 and through the midfield pressure and tackling and hit them hard and cut there space.Have to make Howe accountable to.