Author Topic: Miles and C.Ellis to Gold Coast for a swap of 2019 future 3rd round picks  (Read 11256 times)

Lebowski

Re: Miles and C.Ellis to Gold Coast for a swap of 2019 future 3rd round picks
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »
You’ve overrated our players a fair bit there BT.

CEllis has played 27 games in 4 years and really didn’t show anything more than a couple of small glimpses.

Miles is proven at afl level and I sort of agree with your evaluation but you can’t expect to get much for a guy that’s played around 5 games in 2 years.

Lloyd will be 29 by the time next season starts so I think your call of playing 100 games for his next club is a bit of a stretch.

Stengle is a rookie listed player with 2 afl games to his name.

While I would love to get 3rd rounders for all those players fact of the matter is they are all depth players starved of opportunity at afl level. Combination of goodwill towards the players and the fact that they are out of contract and are pretty much garaunteed to get to the clubs by way of the drafts means that we unfortunately take what we can get.

agreed well said.

I rated Miles and Lloyd but you cant expect much more given the circumstances of age, games played etc. CEllis is a spud, wont play more than 5-10 games for GC

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »
Just did a bit of a review we seem to have only a little better than 50 50 hit rate with 1st rounders over the last 6 or 7 years. Gee I hope this new recruiting head is better than FJ.
Misses
C Ellis
B Lennon

Middling
S Bolton though arguably its Dion Prestia a hit but he was a known quantity.

Hits
D Rioli
J Higgins
Vlastuin

Probably better to do an analysis like this.

Reiwoldt - Hit
Cotchin - Hit
Rance (EoFR) - Hit
Vickery  - Miss
Martin - Hit
Conca - Miss
Bellis - honestly 50/50. Was a huge contributor during our premiership run. Played the footy we needed when it counted. Also from a compromised draft. Taken at 15. Elliot Yeo taken at 30 probably the only genuine miss
Vlastuin - Hit
Lennon - Miss
CEllis - Miss
Rioli - Hit
(no first rounder 2016)
Higgins  - At this stage Hit. Not 100% convinced he's a lock but can't complain thus far.

You could include Jared O-N if you wanted. I think Jackson started in 2005?

You forgot lachie Neale taken in the third round. But honestly as much as people lay into him, I don’t see how you can call a 150+ game premiership player and life member of the club a miss.

People also have unrealistic expectations, if we got the best player available (in hindsight) with all our first round picks how exactly we would fit them all into the salary cap considering we’re close to making out as is?

i agree tiger khosh. bellis may be a lot of things but i do know one thing. We were pantsed in a final he didnt play in :shh

was a fine contributor in our premiership year yet he was a miss.  :lol :lol
Bellis is a miss for me.
150 games of pooting his pants.
FHO while he has some fooled. (Dimma just coming around now)
I would take a 3rd rounder and run.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
Good luck to Miles and C Ellis. As was said previously - there go the steak knives. I wish them well. I honestly think Miles will chalk up another 100 games. C Ellis will probably flop again.

B Ellis should be traded out for anything remotely useful. Any pick or depth player we can get. Should look at a backup ruckman to upgrade on Soldo etc.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »

CEllis has played 27 games in 4 years and really didn’t show anything more than a couple of small glimpses.

Miles is proven at afl level and I sort of agree with your evaluation but you can’t expect to get much for a guy that’s played around 5 games in 2 years.

Lloyd will be 29 by the time next season starts so I think your call of playing 100 games for his next club is a bit of a stretch.

While I would love to get 3rd rounders for all those players fact of the matter is they are all depth players starved of opportunity at afl level. Combination of goodwill towards the players and the fact that they are out of contract and are pretty much garaunteed to get to the clubs by way of the drafts means that we unfortunately take what we can get.
Miles if he had of been playing for most other clubs in the last 2 years would have played every game IMO. So to rate him purely on his games played isn’t quite right.

And Cellis for me has never really been given a proper opportunity in his correct position at AFL level.

Both players will play a lot of footy at the GC and just on that they are both worth a pick around 40.

Just my opinion but both worth more than we got for them... regardless of the Lynch deal.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »
Prestia Caddy even Higgins and Graham changed the dynamic for Miles. 2015 Miles finished 4th in our Band F and 6th in 2016
2017 no opporunity. Tough squeeze.

C. Ellis, if you are not played regularly or in the wrong position then it would be hard to cement your spot in the team.

Good luck to them both

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »

Miles if he had of been playing for most other clubs in the last 2 years would have played every game IMO. So to rate him purely on his games played isn’t quite right.

And Cellis for me has never really been given a proper opportunity in his correct position at AFL level.

Both players will play a lot of footy at the GC and just on that they are both worth a pick around 40.

Just my opinion but both worth more than we got for them... regardless of the Lynch deal.
Depends if the upgrading next year is significant. It could really help us with father sons.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2018, 12:06:11 AM »
Anthony Miles delves into the reasons for his move from Richmond to the Gold Coast Suns.

Listen here: https://twitter.com/traderadio/status/1050695069857005568

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
“It was a tough one because I played 60 games straight and then to play six in two years was difficult. I was obviously rapt that the side was going so well, but it was certainly frustrating that I couldn’t break in as well. So it was a bit of a catch 22,” Miles told foxsports.com.au this week before flying to New Zealand for Gold Coast’s pre-season camp.

“When the team wins the premiership and then finishes on top of the ladder, it is hard to change a winning side. That was generally what I found. And even when I came in, I was last one in, first one out. So the prospect of more senior opportunity was the catalyst for the move up here.

“The hunger for me to improve and to get better and to play good senior footy has never been higher than what it is now because of the last two years. I feel like I’m coming into the prime of my career and have plenty to offer at this level.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/unlucky-former-richmond-midfielder-anthony-miles-is-ready-to-make-up-for-lost-time-at-new-club-gold-coast/news-story/7d42b2a7be7422077505e0b29c3a2c02

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »
Both gone from the Suns. Anthony Miles has retired while Corey Ellis has been delisted.

We effectively* got Ralphsmith from the trade.

* Technically, we traded the Suns' 3rd rounder to Collingwood (Bianco) and move a spot back in last year's draft (Ralphsmith) for a swap of 2nd round picks with St Kilda in this year's upcoming draft.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »
Both gone from the Suns. Anthony Miles has retired while Corey Ellis has been delisted.

* Technically, we traded the Suns' 3rd rounder to Collingwood (Bianco) and move a spot back in last year's draft (Ralphsmith) for a swap of 2nd round picks with St Kilda in this year's upcoming draft.

Are you sure that's right?  I thought we got one of the Qld boys Martin or Cumberland with the GC 3rd rounder.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »

Are you sure that's right?  I thought we got one of the Qld boys Martin or Cumberland with the GC 3rd rounder.
Yep, it's correct.

21. Dow - our first rounder.
43. Cumberland - our 2nd rounder.
44. Martyn - Ellis compo (2nd rounder) …….. should have been a late first round compo but that's another story.
46. Ralphsmith - effectively the Suns' 3rd rounder we traded for in 2018.
56. Biggie - the pick we got for Butler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_AFL_draft