Author Topic: How did we rate this trade period?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: How did we rate this trade period?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
Cellis and Lloyd really never played as inside mids in the seniors, so we don't lose anything with them leaving. Miles is the inside mid we had but never got much of a go.

I think getting a few new players in the draft and another mature type won't hurt us as much as many are thinking.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
Lynch makes it a win.
The removal of Miles, C Ellis, Lloyd and Stengle I have no real problems with losing.
As has been said their ceiling is fairly evident.

My problem is that we have a problem or two to solve as evidenced by our loss to the Magpies.
We need a competent second ruck, a couple of big-bodied mids and maybe a bit more height in the backline to cope with the tall forwards like Cox and the resting rucks.

We could have got Roughead which would have covered two of those problems (second ruck, extra big back).
Obviously when the Western Bulldogs said they were interested in LLoyd they would have offered Roughead as a swap.
We decided NOT to engage with that and only got pick 64 instead while Roughead went for pick 75 from Collingwood.
Either we decided he was not good enough, we had it covered or it wasn't a problem. It will be interesting to see if we use one of the young rucks and/or Chol next year.
IMO the chance to pick up Roughead was a perfect fit for us on a two year contract till we see what Soldo, CCJ and Chol can do. The same with Preuss.

The problem of mids is one that we could not solve due to the high costs involved with any of the options, either pick-wise or more often salary.
From reports Scrimshaw and Brodie were on HUGE contracts till 2020 (reported to be $400K). That knocks out those players from our POV. Scrimshaw has played 4 and Brodie 11.

Gaining Lynch will solve a problem we have had for a few years but we have not fixed problems exposed by the finals loss.
A big gamble by the list committee for next year.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 03:30:08 PM »
I seriously doubt Scrimshaw was on 400k

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »
Setterfield was.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
Setterfield was.
In all seriousness, how in the hell is that possible? A second year player, did he sign a new contract at any point? I can't remember if he did. The AFL should take the keys off the current management up there if that's the case. What an absolutely stinking disgrace.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
Setterfield was.
In all seriousness, how in the hell is that possible? A second year player, did he sign a new contract at any point? I can't remember if he did. The AFL should take the keys off the current management up there if that's the case. What an absolutely stinking disgrace.

Easy. Both GWS & GC have been paying their young talent overs so they stay. Been well reported this trade period that GC despite being putrid are close the TPP because they've sign a number of first year and 2nd year players to extensi9ns to hang onto to them
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 08:31:05 PM »
Fail because we did not get another Ruckman. Unless by miracle we find one in the draft. The rule changes will make a good Ruckman more important then ever.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
I'm concerned about our midfield. I think we are one or two quality players short.

Collingwood made our mids look second rate in the prelim (just an off day? I'm not so sure) and then they went and added Beams, while we offloaded the bulk of our depth.

exactly this. Theres big guys in our midfield on big coin. Matchwinner coin. Prestia Cotchin Martin. i understand Martin was carrying most of the year but at this level its premiership or bust.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »
The Herald-Sun have us an "A".

RICHMOND

IN: Picks No.64, 68, Tom Lynch, Gold Coast’s future third-round pick

OUT: Reece Conca, Corey Ellis, Anthony Miles, Sam Lloyd, Tyson Stengle, future third-round pick

DRAFT PICKS: 17, 37, 64, 68, 74, 92

*The Tigers were granted a compensation pick at the end of the second round for losing unrestricted free agent Reece Conca to Fremantle, but that was forfeit when Tom Lynch was signed from the Gold Coast.

MICHAEL WARNER SAYS: The Tigers bagged the biggest elephant on the opening day of action (superstar Gold Coast Suns free agent Tom Lynch) and had zero room left in the cap to make a play for any others. A host of handy fringe players shifted out in search of greater opportunity but the premiership window remains wide open at Punt Rd.

GRADE: A

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/winners-and-loser-every-clubs-trade-period-rated-by-herald-sun-experts/news-story/f0abdac869b5c3db605d8529295a69d3

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
A record number of five players departed Richmond during the AFL’s 2018 trade/free agency period.

The previous largest amount of player departures occurred in 1997, when Richmond traded four to rival league clubs – Jamie Tape and Bradley Smith to Collingwood, Chris Bond to Fremantle and Chris Naish to Port Adelaide.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-10-18/tigers-player-parting-record

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 11:08:57 PM »
How much do our List managers / recruiters / what ever you call them get paid? I am sure I could of given away 5 players for nothing at half the cost.

Yes I know they were only depth players and it seems this year that they were not worth much but we havent addressed our needs and that is what they get paid for.

I am sure I saw a few backup rucks getting traded. Didn't we have any way to address that need?

Yep we got the big fish and I think that is great but it's not fixing the couple of holes we all can see.
No decent second ruck.
No extra big midfielder
Lost the depth that was punching for places weekly and thus putting pressure on the guys playing to perform.

Fail for me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:40:10 PM by Fluffy Tiger »
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 01:00:26 AM »
You do realise there's still a draft to come and also that players have to be paid within the cap and blokes need to be retained next year as well?

Pick 17 could still get us good a ready to go young mid, we should easily be able to find mature state leaguers who'll replicate CEllis, Miles & Lloyd's VFL numbers..or even DFA's like Barlow or Weller if need be.....just as we shouldn't have much trouble finding a ruckman who's better than Hamspud -who barely played in the last two years anyway-and who is an upgrade on Soldo...if not, well I expect big things from Chol, CCJ w/ useful relief from ther likes of Balta, Moore & Miller.... stop panicking.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
You do realise there's still a draft to come and also that players have to be paid within the cap and blokes need to be retained next year as well?

Pick 17 could still get us good a ready to go young mid, we should easily be able to find mature state leaguers who'll replicate CEllis, Miles & Lloyd's VFL numbers..or even DFA's like Barlow or Weller if need be.....just as we shouldn't have much trouble finding a ruckman who's better than Hamspud -who barely played in the last two years anyway-and who is an upgrade on Soldo...if not, well I expect big things from Chol, CCJ w/ useful relief from ther likes of Balta, Moore & Miller.... stop panicking.... :shh

Leaving alot to 'hope'. Smart clubs dont do that. They make things happen.

Smart fans know this.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »

Barlow has signed with Werribee

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
We couldn't afford anyone else without trading out more players on higher salaries.  I would rather keep our core 25 which we have done whilst adding the best tall forward available (a need) then go to the draft and top up the 18 year old's in a strong draft.  First 2 picks will be good players and go Zac Clarke with a later pick for ruck back up.