Author Topic: AFL Draft 2019  (Read 64132 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: AFL Draft 2019
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
Will Gould looks handy, any opinion?
Played all year for Glenelg, 191cm, 98 kgs, state captain, quality

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Didnt he balloon out to 107kgs. I was a fan but his weight was as far as I know out of control.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »
The AFL website is saying Brodie Kemp could be this year's slider.

-------------------------------

The highly rated tall who could be this year's slider

AFL.com.au
Callum Twomey
Nov 18, 2019

BRODIE Kemp is under no illusions. As the highly touted prospect who suffered a major injury just months ago, he knows his place in this year's NAB AFL Draft is hard to predict.

Kemp knows that it could impact where his name is called, and by which club. He's also aware that as much as his ambition is to return next year and be ready to play at the top level, clubs might not agree.

The versatile Bendigo Pioneers product shapes as one of the most interesting names to follow in next week's first round on Wednesday night.

He is among the group of players invited to attend the draft at Marvel Stadium, with Carlton, Melbourne and Hawthorn among the clubs linked to him, but even he admits his knee reconstruction in July has left his spot uncertain.

"I like to try to be pragmatic and think it hasn't affected too much. I'll obviously slide a little bit and that's all part of the recruiting side of things but the good thing is it didn't affect too much," he told AFL.com.au.

"With my knee it makes it a little bit harder to estimate where I might go considering I'm not sure what clubs are willing to not play me next year, and what clubs are."

Clubs will also have different views on where Kemp will play long-term. Some see him mainly as a key defender who, at 193cm, can intercept marks and set up the play.

Others think he can pinch-hit as a forward, while some scouts think the midfield is where his future lies, a view Kemp shares given his height and strength around the stoppages. Clubs saw that at the mid-year under-18 championships, where Kemp starred for Vic Country averaging 20 disposals.

He's glad he was able to show his qualities at national level.

"The good thing was I was able to play the first half of the season and then definitely the most important block of games was the championships. I was lucky enough and grateful to play those games," he said.

"From then I was really happy with my performance. Doing my knee was the worst case scenario, but the best case scenario was when it happened and I only missed a couple of games after that. It was disappointing and obviously I really wanted to keep playing footy."

Kemp sustained his injury playing for school side Geelong Grammar, after his right knee buckled when he went to avoid a tackle.

It was a straight anterior cruciate ligament tear without any further damage, leading to optimism he will be ready to play again in the middle of next year.

Kemp is targeting a return, but realises clubs assessing him may be a little more cautious, particularly if they use a top-10 choice on him.

"In my mind I am. That's the goal, that at the 10-month mark I can get back in May or June. That's my goal but I think for a club it's an investment, it's not a 12-month investment," he said.

"I'd think they'd be conservative and not want to play me next year in the AFL but some could give me an opportunity. I think they'll be a bit conservative and rightfully so as well.

"But the year after that I'll definitely be back and play a few more games without any knee injuries."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-18/class-of-2019-brodie-kemp

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »
Surely we grab him if he's still on the board at our first... a mix of Cripps,The Bont, Stringer & a footy smart version of Balta... :shh
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:35:16 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2019, 02:07:12 AM »
Foxsports looking at some of the kids that may go outside the first round:

Darcy CHIRGWIN

Clubs: Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country

Position: Inside Midfielder

Size: 191cm, 80kg

Teams that may suit: Essendon, Richmond and Sydney

Bio: A broken leg meant the first half of Chirgwin’s season was virtually a write-off. But he soon returned to the Sandringham Dragons, following a school football stint at Melbourne Grammar, averaging 24.7 disposals and 7.9 tackles in the final seven matches. His clearance work is good, with the athletic 191cm midfielder also showing his ability in his bottom-age year to play on the outside. Chirgwin provides plenty of upside for a club who calls his name out.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2019-draft-prospects-hidden-gems-bargains-value-picks-draft-order/news-story/dffcef27b57e4b509e91fd6f3913326a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #216 on: November 19, 2019, 02:19:06 AM »
ESPN's latest phantom draft has us getting:

21. Richmond: Cooper Stephens (VIC)
Height, Weight: 188cm/83kg
Profile: Strong ball-winning midfielder who distributes effectively by hand and bursts out of stoppages at speed. Has not played since Round 3 due to a fractured fibula.

38. Richmond: Mitch O'Neill (TAS)
Height, Weight: 176cm/72kg
Profile: Touted a potential first round selection at the beginning of the season, O'Neill has struggled with injury for much of the year. O'Neill is an outside midfielder who is a polished ball user and moves well.

39. Richmond: Darcy Cassar (VIC)

Height, Weight: 184cm/82kg
Profile: Midfielder with the versatility to play forward or back. Cassar does his best work on the outside and possesses good skills.

41. Richmond: Cooper Sharman (VIC)

Height, Weight: 192cm/79kg
Profile: Goalkicking forward who doesn't need much of the ball to hit the scoreboard heavily. One of the best readers of the ball in flight in the draft, strong overhead and clean at ground level.

56. Richmond: Ryan Byrnes (VIC)

Height, Weight: 182cm/84kg
Profile: Consistent ball winner through the midfield. Not only wins the contested ball but combined that with pace and damaging ball use.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28095715/updated-afl-phantom-draft-first-three-rounds

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #217 on: November 19, 2019, 07:21:44 AM »
ESPN's latest phantom draft has us getting:

21. Richmond: Cooper Stephens (VIC)
Height, Weight: 188cm/83kg
Profile: Strong ball-winning midfielder who distributes effectively by hand and bursts out of stoppages at speed. Has not played since Round 3 due to a fractured fibula.

38. Richmond: Mitch O'Neill (TAS)
Height, Weight: 176cm/72kg
Profile: Touted a potential first round selection at the beginning of the season, O'Neill has struggled with injury for much of the year. O'Neill is an outside midfielder who is a polished ball user and moves well.

39. Richmond: Darcy Cassar (VIC)

Height, Weight: 184cm/82kg
Profile: Midfielder with the versatility to play forward or back. Cassar does his best work on the outside and possesses good skills.

41. Richmond: Cooper Sharman (VIC)

Height, Weight: 192cm/79kg
Profile: Goalkicking forward who doesn't need much of the ball to hit the scoreboard heavily. One of the best readers of the ball in flight in the draft, strong overhead and clean at ground level.

56. Richmond: Ryan Byrnes (VIC)

Height, Weight: 182cm/84kg
Profile: Consistent ball winner through the midfield. Not only wins the contested ball but combined that with pace and damaging ball use.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28095715/updated-afl-phantom-draft-first-three-rounds

2 Coopers, surely not !!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: November 19, 2019, 08:53:43 AM »
Still maintain we have a decent hand of picks 19 38 39 and 41 for a side that won a flag considering we got screwed with Ellis compo.Will be sliders and a even draft after top 15 or so.Get some good players with 38 39 and 41.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
Rumours out of Hawthorn is they are willing swap their pick 30 for our future 2nd rounder.

The reason below is why they want our future pick.

--------------------------------------

HAWTHORN is looking to bolster its draft hand by trying to attain another first-round pick – but there's a snag.

AFL.com.au understands the Hawks are prepared to trade their future first-round pick for 2020 in a deal to land a second first-round pick for this year.

The club already holds pick 11 – which is its earliest selection at the draft since 2006 – but is believed to be on the lookout to double-up at the top end.

However, it faces a battle to land the selection because, under AFL rules, to trade out a future first-round selection it must retain its other picks in that draft. 

The Hawks traded their 2020 second-round selection during the exchange period, so would need to replace that to be allowed to move their future first-round pick.

The intention to find another first-round pick nonetheless signals that the Hawks don't forecast a bid on father-son Finn Maginness to come until, at the earliest, late in the first round and potentially early in the second round next week.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-19/hawthorn-facing-draft-snag-as-it-looks-to-trade-future-firstround-pick
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:53:21 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: November 19, 2019, 01:10:57 PM »
Depends on how highly we rate MJ, Darcy & Baxter.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2019, 01:21:57 PM »
HUN reporting that GC are still open to trading picks 1 & 2....personally I don't think they will but I'd be chucking everything from this year & next at them - can always trade for picks next year if need be....#dynasty :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2019, 05:15:48 PM »
The Giants have got their wish and have moved up to pick 4.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-19/giants-to-give-up-two-firstround-picks-for-no4

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
Why would any team help the Giants get stronger.  Adelaide desperate?