Author Topic: Thomson Dow [merged]  (Read 44715 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Thomson Dow [merged]
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »
Geelong Grammar’s Thomson Dow stars on GMHBA Stadium in derby win over Geelong College

DAMIEN RACTLIFFE
Geelong Advertiser
May 19, 2019 8:59pm

GEELONG Grammar coach Andy Allthorpe has lauded Thomson Dow for his performance on the big stage after the forward claimed best afield honours in his side’s win over Geelong College.

Featuring as the AFL curtain raiser at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday, Grammar proved too slick and classy for College, who challenged early in the final term but proved no match in a 13.9.87 to 7.6.48 scoreline.

Allthorpe said Dow, the younger brother of Carlton’s Paddy Dow, was the clear standout.

“He played midfield-forward and he was really dangerous from early on,” the former Geelong Falcons coach said.

“The space really suited him because he’s a really explosive player. He positioned himself really well, led really well, had a shot on goal early in the first which he missed.

“He had a chance to probably kicked five or six and he kicked three in five minutes in the second to break the game open.

“He’s just a dangerous match-up because of his explosiveness and size. He was really impressive, really stood up for the occasion.”

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/localfooty/geelong-grammars-thomson-dow-stars-on-gmhba-stadium-in-derby-win-over-geelong-college/news-story/45fa2e9f1d6f698def85ab266817ea87

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 10:39:13 PM »
Back our brains trust guys 2 flags in 3 years says it all.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »
Dow came in third for agility at the Draft Combine.

Agility (seconds)

Hayden Young          7.940
Elijah Taylor             8.005
Thomson Dow          8.061
Trent Rivers              8.100
Oisin Gallen              8.197
Chad Warner            8.203
Sam Flanders            8.206
Noah Cumberland    8.208
Connor Budarick      8.242
Dylan Stephens        8.245

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-03/draft-combine-results-speedy-mid-boosts-stocks-with-scorching-time

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 02:38:52 AM »
Tigers: Dow should dream of Round 1 debut

Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
November 28, 2019

The magic of premiership coach Damien Hardwick means No. 21 draft pick Thomson Dow could make his debut playing against brother Paddy Dow in the Richmond-Carlton Round 1 blockbuster next year.

The Tigers visited the Dow family’s stone fruit orchard in Swan Hill on Friday before closing in on the midfielder who only turned 18 last month.

“I’ve said this the last few years – with our coach, who knows (if Dow could debut in Round 1?” chief recruiter Matthew Clarke told the Herald Sun post-draft.

“If (Hardwick) thinks they train well enough and he finds a spot for them, he’ll pick them.

“It’s not like he’s going to say, ‘He’s a first-year player he has to wait’. He’s always had the courage to play players if he wants to.”

While a teenager breaking into the reigning premier’s best 22 straight away seems unlikely, Tiger fans can get excited at Dow’s lightning hands when an opportunity does arrive.

“He’s slightly different (to brother Paddy). He’s a little bit leaner through the body, they’re different body shapes,” Clarke said.

“He places inside, he can also play a little bit forward, he’s got great speed and really good lateral movement.

“But he’s got terrific hands, that’s what we love about him, his ability to clear the footy. He’s played some really good footy when he’s gone forward for Geelong Grammar too.”

The 182cm midfielder averaged 18 disposals for Vic Country this year.

“We had two or three in the mix. He (Dow) was a player that we rated a reasonable amount higher than where we picked him,” Clarke said.

“It was a little bit tight. We thought some clubs had done some trades that would come inside our pick that was a little bit of a concern, but we’re really happy.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-says-pick-21-thomson-dow-should-dream-of-round-1-debut-against-brother-paddy/news-story/85954b615328291dd672d3dd0d32be99

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 06:30:15 AM »
Some might see this pick as being a bit left field but you can clearly see he has been picked for his ability to clear the ball out of traffic which suits our more chaos branded gameplay.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 06:57:50 AM »
He has plenty of positives.  Bit of development under his belt, looks like he is still growing into his skin.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:48:15 AM by Owl »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 08:08:45 AM »
its one of the reasons why I would have gone for someone else. a more ready made player like Sharp Bianco or Taylor. We are chasing premierships right now and a more ready player could make a contribution. Dow looks like a player who needs 18 months of development in the twos.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 08:11:18 AM »
Reminds me of Edwards good hands to.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
its one of the reasons why I would have gone for someone else. a more ready made player like Sharp Bianco or Taylor. We are chasing premierships right now and a more ready player could make a contribution. Dow looks like a player who needs 18 months of development in the twos.
Couln't disagree more here Ramps.

We have 4 or 5 AFL standard players banging on the door for a spot in the team at the moment (Stack, Ross, Graham, Kamdyn, RCD, CCJ, Chol).

We've never been in a better position to shape and mould some young talent without needing to throw them into the seniors before they're ready.

I just have my doubts with Dow. But we've barely missed on a first round selections for 10 years (see C Ellis, Lennon), so I have faith in our team.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Couln't disagree more here Ramps.

We have 4 or 5 AFL standard players banging on the door for a spot in the team at the moment (Stack, Ross, Graham, Kamdyn, RCD, CCJ, Chol).

We've never been in a better position to shape and mould some young talent without needing to throw them into the seniors before they're ready.

I just have my doubts with Dow. But we've barely missed on a first round selections for 10 years (see C Ellis, Lennon), so I have faith in our team.

Exactly. We do not need to find an 18year old to immediately take a top 22 position. The club will leave Dow in a position in the seconds and develop him properly. Take RCD as the example.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »
Reminds me of Edwards good hands to.
Was about to post the same thing, georgies.

Lightly-framed as a youngster, good by hand with both the left and right, can win the ball and explode out of traffic, and can play as a HF which he will early days until he matures and moves into the midfield. Sounds very much like Dow is seen by the Club as Edwards' long-term replacement when Sheds eventually retires.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
Pick 21, Richmond: Thomson Dow

Doerre's Power Rankings:
60+

Doerre says: Another surprise. Those linked to Richmond's first selection in Cooper Stephens, Sam De Koning and Sam Philp had all been taken and there was likely no time to orchestrate a trade back even if Richmond wanted to. Thomson, the younger brother of Carlton's Paddy, is a quick, light-bodied midfielder who can win his own ball. He has shown glimpses but ultimately is a project player who will take time to develop physically. He is a much less physically developed player by contrast to Paddy at the same age and has yet to impact games like Paddy did in the junior ranks.

If I was Richmond list manager:
Devon Robertson being the best available player would be my choice here. His ball winning capabilities far exceed that of Dow and unlike Dow he has the capability of playing early and often in 2020.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28178305/afl-draft-first-round-analysis

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Thomson has been told by the Tigers to target a round-one debut against his brother next year although it's difficult to see him cracking into Richmond's star-studded team immediately.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-first-round-how-each-draft-pick-stacks-up-20191128-p53ewm.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »
Dow's 5 games for Bendigo this year:

28 disposals (15 kicks 13 handballs) 8 marks 2 tackles 2 goals
24 disposals (11 kicks 13 handballs) 4 marks 4 tackles 1.1
  9 disposals (5 kicks 4 handballs)    2 marks 1 tackle  1.2
24 disposals (8 kicks 16 handballs)  6 marks               1 goal
23 disposals (7 kicks 16 handballs)  2 marks 5 tackles

http://websites.sportstg.com/team_info.cgi?pID=204523176
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-richmond-thomson-dow.1232574/post-63761491