Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 361886 times)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
I hope not Jack.  One of the big reasons some of my American friends watch footy is because of Chelsea  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
The proverbial will hit the fan after this weekend. You can't have goal umpires with clear view not seeing the ball clearly hit the boot from a metre out. 3 incorrect calls in two days  :P.

Yep the Shannon Byrnes one in the third quarter tonight was just awful. The more we talk about the umpiring the worse the standard of it gets.
The momentum of the game changed after it as well which makes it even worse.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
Last night (friday) would have to be the worse i have seen umpiring! Imagine trying to explain the rules of our game to someone last night!

Ox

« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
whaddya expect from an organisation run by a guy who collects ----- ----

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:26:52 AM by one-eyed »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »
What is it with umpires umpiring the big occasion matches!!

The fans are there to watch their teams, not watch umpires try and make some big time calls and seek attention!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
I didn't see much of Friday night's game (lost interest in it pretty quickly).
But my friend was telling me of an incident where Mitch Robinson ran at David Hille and head-butted him in the midriff, then went down like he was shot.
The scumpire then reported Hille, and of course gave Robinson the obligatory 50m penalty and goal. Bizarre if true.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:27 AM »
But my friend was telling me of an incident where Mitch Robinson ran at David Hille and head-butted him in the midriff, then went down like he was shot.
The scumpire then reported Hille, and of course gave Robinson the obligatory 50m penalty and goal. Bizarre if true.

true

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »

true

Yep, pretty much exactly how it happened.

tony_montana

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »

yep and not long afterwards Hille was obviously takin the pee out of robinson and umpires for that report and headbutted robinsons shoulder and got the freekick lmaooo. These umps are just friggen clueless

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Soft rules and umpiring making the game non-contact: Mark Ricciuto
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2010, 02:18:39 PM »
Game is getting soft: Roo

* Mark Ricciuto
    * August 16, 2010

THE AFL has become too soft. Not the players but the game itself.

In a week where the league has decided to look at more strange rule changes - and asked for the public's input - it should instead have surveyed the fans about the physical state of the game.

Sadly, the AFL is being weighed down by soft umpiring and soft rules where hard, physical contact is slowly being outlawed.

And it's infuriating me. I am tired of seeing far too many soft free kicks being paid and changing the momentum of games.

Instead of giving frees for minor ruck infringements, for touching someone's back in marking contests and nailing the blokes who go into win the hard ball for holding it, they need to let play go on.

Free kicks should be hard earned, not handed out for minor indiscretions.

I fear for the way the game is going, that it will soon be close to a non-contact sport.

Full article at:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/game-is-getting-soft-roo/story-e6freck3-1225905581203

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2010, 02:32:23 AM »
Pinging Lids for the towel was a doozy  ::). I know people will say don't give the umps a reason but whatever happened to the umps just warning players to settle down or risk a free against in a no fuss manner rather than going bang and making a mountain out of a molehill situation that had nothing to do with the play :-\.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »
Pinging Lids for the towel was a doozy  ::). I know people will say don't give the umps a reason but whatever happened to the umps just warning players to settle down or risk a free against in a no fuss manner rather than going bang and making a mountain out of a molehill situation that had nothing to do with the play :-\.

Yeah, the only upside of that ridiculously precious decision was that pr@#! Henderson missed the goal from point blank range.
Was it umpire Schmitt-house who made that call by the way? The ground announcer informed us all that he was umpiring his 200th game. Honestly, who cares? These guys should remain invisible. These kind of calls demonstrate that they obviously think they're part of the spectacle. 

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2010, 08:17:40 AM »
The only thing needing a bigger clean up that the RFC is the umpiring assoc starting with the big turd at the top

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:08 AM »
The only thing needing a bigger clean up that the RFC is the umpiring assoc starting with the big turd at the top

half time in the adelaide game i stood there at the players race at half time and Geesh was standing there and asked him what the hell was going on with the umpring.

If anyone can remember that first half it was pathetic, an absolute joke and he turned around and said to me "well maybe if you start winning games you wont need to complain" This is the man in control of the rules of our game. Give me a spell

he himself brings the game into disrepute with his side kicks demetriou and Anderson.

The 3 biggest c.... to ever be employed by the AFL
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »
half time in the adelaide game i stood there at the players race at half time and Geesh was standing there and asked him what the hell was going on with the umpring.

If anyone can remember that first half it was pathetic, an absolute joke and he turned around and said to me "well maybe if you start winning games you wont need to complain" This is the man in control of the rules of our game. Give me a spell
A shame you didn't bump into him again after that game when we had won and said what's his excuse now.