Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 362553 times)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Umpire appreciation round
« Reply #390 on: May 22, 2013, 08:04:26 AM »
Watched the replay.

The third quarter was utterly shocking from an umpiring perspective. There was a period of a few minutes where Jackson was hit high three times in quick succession, none paid. Then Gysberts gets a soft high free kick. Shocking standard of umpiring. Geishen needs to take a leaf out of alcoholics anonymous - first step to resolving a problem is to admit you have a problem.

Uurrgghh! What a head to be confronted with when I'm having my breakfast. Looks like the kind of anonymous middle management accountant type who leads a secret double life as a cross-dressing kiddie-fiddler.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #391 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »
The umpire in question has been of the same standard throughout his career. Consistently crap. When I see his name on the record I always know we are in trouble. Inept decision making is assured when this guy is umpiring.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #392 on: May 22, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »
As an interesting comparison I watched the first round of the Foxtel Cup last night - Norwood vs East Fremantle at AAMI Stadium on a wet Adelaide night.  The umpiring was first class as they umpired to the conditions and the spirit of the game and I can't recall even one bad or controversial decision.  And most noticeable was that they only paid a free if it was really there, no tiggy touchwood or highly technical crap just a free was a free was a free.  A breath of fresh air to see a game umpired the way it should be umpired and they put their more highly regarded compatriots to shame.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #393 on: May 22, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
A face even a mother wants to kick in.  :shh

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #394 on: May 22, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
The umpire in question has been of the same standard throughout his career. Consistently crap. When I see his name on the record I always know we are in trouble. Inept decision making is assured when this guy is umpiring.

Exactly how I feel, although I always know we are in trouble when I see Stevics name in the record. Richmond hater in my opinion if there ever was one.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #395 on: May 22, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
As an interesting comparison I watched the first round of the Foxtel Cup last night - Norwood vs East Fremantle at AAMI Stadium on a wet Adelaide night.  The umpiring was first class as they umpired to the conditions and the spirit of the game and I can't recall even one bad or controversial decision.  And most noticeable was that they only paid a free if it was really there, no tiggy touchwood or highly technical crap just a free was a free was a free.  A breath of fresh air to see a game umpired the way it should be umpired and they put their more highly regarded compatriots to shame.
lack of influence from that fool geish would have something to do with that.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
Best umpires game we have had all year, umps have thrown out gooses rule book and gone back to common sense umpiring

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
Best umpires game we have had all year, umps have thrown out gooses rule book and gone back to common sense umpiring
:clapping instead we were the incompetent ones.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »

Yep, from an old fashioned umpire basher they were the least of our problems- the game was well umpired tonight.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #399 on: May 26, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »

Yep, from an old fashioned umpire basher they were the least of our problems- the game was well umpired tonight.

Agree as soon as I saw we had Rosebury who's the best in the game I thought at least the umps won't take my focus.

Our stupid criss-crossing from one HB flank to another did that. My head still hurts from it  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #400 on: May 26, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »
Preferred tonight but two things left me scratching my head
1. Jack being called a mark then ball up. Yes it was touched but Jack's a smart player and would of kept that ball moving instead of standing there and giving Carlisle an easy tackle stat. Umpire just needed to make up his mind and keep it one way.
2. "Play on if you want".  :banghead :banghead :banghead I wouldn't have a clue what that means if I was out there.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #401 on: May 26, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
1. Jack being called a mark then ball up. Yes it was touched but Jack's a smart player and would of kept that ball moving instead of standing there and giving Carlisle an easy tackle stat. Umpire just needed to make up his mind and keep it one way.
2. "Play on if you want".  :banghead :banghead :banghead I wouldn't have a clue what that means if I was out there.

Did this really happen? Dear God.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #402 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:13 PM »

Did this really happen? Dear God.

Just before Lonergan got holding the ball

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Besides the above point,i thought the umpiring was pretty good.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's consistency plea to umpiring (H-Sun/Age)
« Reply #404 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:01 AM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick happy for umpires to pay more free kicks

AAP
    June 13, 2013 5:40PM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has no problems with umpires paying more free kicks - as long as they are consistent.

Umpires have paid less free kicks in the past few weeks amid an ongoing discussion in the game about the rules and how they are policed.

Carlton star Chris Judd said on Thursday there is excessive tinkering with the rules and players are finding it much harder to play on instinct.

"You certainly get a general gist of the rules or how they're going to be interpreted watching the Friday night game,'' Hardwick said.

"The thing that we just like as a ... fraternity is just the consistency.

"My theory ... is the rules are the rules.

"If they're there, pay the free kicks.''

Hardwick added umpires were now perhaps not paying enough free kicks in some areas.

"The first five or six weeks, I know where they copped a lot of criticism ... I was pretty happy,'' he said.

"I probably feel they've gone away a little bit from rewarding the ball carrier.

"You'll see the stoppages have gone up - they've probably gone away from rewarding that second tackler in.

"That's probably the one I think they can be a little more diligent on.''

The Tigers coach is also unfazed by umpires' boss Jeff Gieschen talking to Essendon coach James Hird before the Bombers played Richmond in Round 9.

"I'm not sure - I'm only going on what I've heard from someone else,'' Hardwick said.

"To me, it was a non-issue - it had no bearing on the result.

"I don't think there was anything malicious in it.''

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-happy-for-umpires-to-pay-more-free-kicks/story-fndv8t7m-1226663408957
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coach-consistency-plea-20130613-2o760.html