Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 299647 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2025 on: April 21, 2022, 11:34:20 AM »
So what is descent , an umpire shouldn’t be abused but to kill a right to voice a question seems like a policy that fits well in communist countries. Why remove democracy and learnings through questioning from the game as we should all be accountable for our actions including the AFL’s faceless people and Umpires.
I agree a independent review panel would assist in removing the bias that seems to have infected the umpires decisions as Hocking and Scott are using the umpires to push bias that benefit or disadvantage certain sides

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #2026 on: April 21, 2022, 01:06:34 PM »
How about the Player puts their hand up and waits to be called. He than then politely ask his question. - Reminds you of anything?

These changes in the last few years have been a joke. Maybe if they get Benny Gale at the top he could unpick this mess.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick says Tigers must learn how to win frees, reduce 50m penalties (Age)
« Reply #2027 on: April 21, 2022, 09:10:55 PM »
Hardwick says Tigers must learn how to win frees, reduce 50-metre penalties

By Lachlan Abbott
The Age
April 21, 2022

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says the Tigers will speak with umpires to help players improve their ability to “attract free kicks” and said the team also needed to minimise the 50-metre penalties it has conceded.

The Tigers have conceded 17 50-metre penalties after five rounds, while the next-worst teams have only conceded eight.

“We gave away a lot earlier. We’ve been better over the last couple of weeks. It is an area where we certainly have to improve,” Hardwick said.

“The problem is we give away free kicks which the vast majority of are there. What we’ve got to get better at is attracting free kicks. We don’t do that well enough. So we’re going to get clarification on how we can do that better from the umpires.”

The free kick count in Richmond’s 19-point loss against Adelaide was 13-33 against the Tigers, while Hardwick’s side are also ranked last for free kick differential with a -38 disadvantage so far this season.

Hardwick said he hoped the Tigers could learn to draw from frees from contested situations while avoiding winning free kicks for high-tackles by leading with the head due to the standard it set for lower leagues.

“It’s probably just guys holding around stoppage. We probably tend to give away a few and we probably don’t get too many,” he said.

Hardwick also supported the AFL’s crackdown on umpire dissent and said he didn’t “understand what the big deal is”.

“I’m fine with it. I completely understand. I think as an industry we completely understand,” he said.

“They made a great video for us, we showed our players the understanding. So straight away, our players had a good knowledge that as soon as you put your arms out, that was dissent.”

Hardwick said the club had a “really good dialogue with the umpires” regarding free kick decisions and suggested negative reaction to the dissent crackdown was overblown in the media.

“Let’s not make a mountain out of a molehill. There’s going to be mistakes in game,” he said.

Leading AFL coaches and captains have largely backed the league’s decision to clamp down on dissent, while some players and commentators have suggested it has gone too far.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hardwick-says-tigers-must-learn-how-to-win-frees-reduce-50-metre-penalties-20220421-p5aezy.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2028 on: April 22, 2022, 09:19:44 PM »
First game of the weekend and the "dissent" rule is not surprisingly already a joke thanks to different umpires thinking differently on what they class as "dissent". Ben Long arms out towards one ump and no 50m is paid then a quarter later different ump and another Saint player has one arm out questioning the ball hitting the ground and it's paid 50.

:facepalm

Heaven help us on Sunday night :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2029 on: April 22, 2022, 09:57:16 PM »
And what a surprise the other  Scott twin  calls everyone who doesn’t like new rules dinosaurs , or was he talking about the majority of players in the Geelong side

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #2030 on: April 24, 2022, 08:51:32 PM »
The AFL needs a total review of umpiring. We all know the situation with the lack of umpires at lower levels but watching these games and seeing the errors these guys make and the pressure they are are under would not encourage young people to start umpiring. Maybe instead of adding all the complicate and controversial rules they could take rules out and make it simpler. Just an idea.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2031 on: April 24, 2022, 09:27:24 PM »
We have been raped tonight
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:03:01 PM by Andyy »

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2032 on: April 24, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »
F

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2033 on: April 24, 2022, 10:03:34 PM »
Third quarter they went after us and gave Dees a leg up

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2034 on: April 24, 2022, 10:30:42 PM »
They free kick to weideman that started their run was outrageous.

Also can anyone explain why they called play on to balta when he took that mark 55-60m out? He could have legitimately kicked that so they should have given him the full 30. Didn’t see him step off his line either.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2035 on: April 24, 2022, 10:34:53 PM »

That happens every week but the club continually refuses to make an official compliant.  About time we grew some stuffen balls and called the maggots out.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2036 on: April 24, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »
Disgraceful again but let of our issues. We were lucky not to have lost by 100 points in all honesty. Doubled our scoring shots..
Go Tigers!

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #2037 on: April 24, 2022, 10:44:55 PM »

That happens every week but the club continually refuses to make an official compliant.  About time we grew some stuffen balls and called the maggots out.
Agree but I'm not sure what channels they can take. We know they can't go though the media and we will never know what happens behind the scenes. For me the best approach would be to come out in the media (press's conference) and say we are going to seek clarification on certain rulings.It would make it public and force the AFL to justify the rulings. Who know, it's a.very tricky one given the AFL practically banning any criticism.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2038 on: April 24, 2022, 11:40:28 PM »
UNACCOUNTABLE

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2039 on: April 25, 2022, 04:08:20 AM »
Another stellar performance by the umpires last night

One of their best efforts of the year  :clapping

Get your angst but I really wish people wouldn't use that term. Believe it or not it is highly offensive
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)