Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 299780 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2685 on: June 22, 2023, 08:37:52 PM »
Given the state of the AFL tribunal at the moment Gary Rohan must be thinking he’s in trouble for the contact on teammate Jeremy Cameron 😳

In all seriousness he should be suspended

Head high contact even accidental is reportable offence, he should go straight to tribunal and get a minimum of 4 weeks

And our mate Stewart is likely in trouble again for cheap shot on Viney. Pushing him over when he is clearly injured  will be frowned upon by HQ too
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2686 on: June 23, 2023, 02:20:43 AM »
And our mate Stewart is likely in trouble again for cheap shot on Viney. Pushing him over when he is clearly injured  will be frowned upon by HQ too
Jon Ralph reckons Stewart will only cop a fine for that.

"Not a great look, is it?"

Tom Stewart could be facing a sanction for this incident where he pushed over a sore Jack Viney.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1671834480162787328

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2687 on: June 23, 2023, 02:25:43 AM »
Given the state of the AFL tribunal at the moment Gary Rohan must be thinking he’s in trouble for the contact on teammate Jeremy Cameron 😳
Why didn't Rohan "slow down slightly"? That's what the tribunal told Mansell he should've decided to do in less than 0.2 of a second ::).

Watch the incident here: https://twitter.com/SamFaff/status/1671815867716501505
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2688 on: June 23, 2023, 08:37:02 AM »
Why didn't Rohan "slow down slightly"? That's what the tribunal told Mansell he should've decided to do in less than 0.2 of a second ::).

Plus he wasn’t looking at the ball.
Well he did cause the injury through negligence.
It does beg the question that should he be charged with injuring another player even though on the same team?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2689 on: June 23, 2023, 11:05:01 AM »

Plus he wasn’t looking at the ball.
Well he did cause the injury through negligence.
It does beg the question that should he be charged with injuring another player even though on the same team?

its all about having a duty of care for other players on the field and since accidents dont come into it anymore he should be banned

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2690 on: June 23, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »
Actually agree with Cornes here  :o.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If Gary Rohan was an opposition player, would he have been suspended for the collision with teammate Jeremy Cameron?

This is the question Kane Cornes put to David King in the aftermath of Geelong’s clash against Melbourne.

Cornes: “I was just studying it… I don’t know what he was doing by the way, he put himself in a really awful position.

“He had no right to be in Jeremy Cameron’s way and then at the last minute tried to get out the way.

“I think he would get suspended if he was an opposition player.”

King: “Oh my god, you’re not serious”

Cornes: “Have another look at it.”

King: “It’s in a marking contest, he’s coming in.”

Cornes: “He has a play on the ball and he opts to bump.”

King: “He was trying to get out of the way.”

Cornes: “I know but he had a play on the ball, clearly cause he saw it was his own teammate he thought, ‘I’m an absolute goose that I’m in this space,’ and there’s a few people pointing out that it was similar to the (Rhyan) Mansell – (James) Aish incident.”

King: “No, Mansell’s was a live ball, it was a bobbling ball and he did turn and choose to bump, so that’s where he was in trouble, and concussed (Aish).”

Cornes: “I think three to four weeks (if Rohan was a Melbourne player).”

King: “You’re not serious.”

Cornes: “Honestly, have another look at it.”

King: You cannot possibly mean this.”

Cornes: Have another look at it, he has elected to bump, he’s got him high, he’s knocked him senseless, 100 per cent he would be suspended.

“But the thought that you could suspend someone from your own team, this is where the game has lost the plot, there were a lot of suggestions around that last night.”

King: No one is seriously suggesting that are they?

Cornes: “They are. If you think Gary Rohan was a Melbourne player, how many weeks would he get?”

King: I can’t believe you’re going with the affirmative on this.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/22/would-gary-rohan-have-been-suspended-if-he-was-a-melbourne-player/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2691 on: June 23, 2023, 02:14:42 PM »
Rohan was never in the marking contest

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2692 on: June 23, 2023, 03:42:49 PM »
I'd love Rohan to be rubbed out cause of the hatred for Cats but this is where the grey area is around trying to decide did the player have any alternative and time to choose that alternative to avoid head high contact.

The answer will be no, cause any half minded player would chose an alternative than to hurt a team mate or collide with a team mate.

Unfortunately this is decided by people who have played very little footy who don't understand accidents and heavy unavoidable collisions happen.

I don't think in the last 2 years we've seen anyone be lined up accept for

Stewart on Prestia
De Goey on the Eagles kid
Kosi to Smith

All other bumps I recall are either just collisions, protecting/evasion or attacking the footy.
Go Tigers!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2693 on: June 23, 2023, 05:27:45 PM »
I'd love Rohan to be rubbed out cause of the hatred for Cats but this is where the grey area is around trying to decide did the player have any alternative and time to choose that alternative to avoid head high contact.

The answer will be no, cause any half minded player would chose an alternative than to hurt a team mate or collide with a team mate.

Unfortunately this is decided by people who have played very little footy who don't understand accidents and heavy unavoidable collisions happen.

I don't think in the last 2 years we've seen anyone be lined up accept for

Stewart on Prestia
Kosi to Smith

All other bumps I recall are either just collisions, protecting/evasion or attacking the footy.

Stewart on Prestia
Kosi to Smith
Danger to Vlas

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2694 on: June 23, 2023, 05:51:09 PM »
He would 1000% be suspended if he were a Melbourne player. Don’t know what league David king has been watching all year but it certainly isn’t the afl.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2695 on: June 23, 2023, 09:14:50 PM »
No surprise. The MRO says all clear (re: Rohan on Cameron).

Stewart copped a fine.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/954595/match-review-fritsch-learns-fate-for-tackle-star-cat-fined

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2696 on: June 24, 2023, 09:59:41 PM »
Watching the Essendon vs Freo game, and it almost like the umpires played a free kick alto Essendon at every contest in the last until they got Essendon back into the game
Need to lose 2 umpires as they just playing free kicks to make themselves relevant

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2697 on: June 24, 2023, 11:31:40 PM »
Watching the Essendon vs Freo game, and it almost like the umpires played a free kick alto Essendon at every contest in the last until they got Essendon back into the game
Need to lose 2 umpires as they just playing free kicks to make themselves relevant

I thought this too, Brad Scott sent a few texts I think.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2698 on: June 25, 2023, 12:09:38 AM »
Umpires have been slaughtering us for a decade or more now. Disappointing Benny hasn't taken this further

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2699 on: June 25, 2023, 04:31:12 PM »
Conversely, the umps gift the Pies frees and 50s to get them over the line.

Nick Daicos for all his talent is the biggest diver and faker for frees there is now. How often do we see our players in the surge way we play being held after disposal to prevent them receiving the next ball and we never get a 50. However, Daicos, just because he is bumped while running past (happens 100 times a game), throws his arms up in the air in front of the ump like he's been shot, and the ump falls for it and gifts the Pies 50 plus a goal late in a tight game.

Wouldn't it be great if we got virtually twice the number of frees as the opposition most weeks. Instead, we're lucky to get half  ::).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd