Author Topic: Robbie Tarrant retires [merged]  (Read 37876 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger’s table 2 year deal to Robbie Tarrant
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »
It will be 3rd round (pick 45)

Then slide to 50+

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
It will come in after Dogs and Pies picks get swallowed up for their F/S bids

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
"We're disappointed that Robbie has chosen not to accept our contract offer," North football manager Brady Rawlings said.

"We wanted to see Robbie remain a one-club player given what he has done for our football club.

"After overcoming injuries in the early part of his career, Robbie has gone on to be a great contributor for North Melbourne over a long period of time.

"Robbie has been an elite defender in the competition and has provided us with great leadership and spirit.

"He has been popular with our fans, his teammates and everyone involved with the club, so it'll be hard to see him in opposing colours, but we wish him well."

https://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/7436183/north-defender-tarrant-switching-to-tigers/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2021, 07:12:28 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2021, 02:12:46 AM »
By Michael Gleeson in The Age.

TIGER TARRANT

Free agent Robbie Tarrant is a very clever signing by Richmond. He is a chance for a flag at the Tigers in the next two years, not at North Melbourne. The Roos might even get a compensation pick for losing him.

Tarrant is the ready-made replacement for the retired David Astbury to play alongside Dylan Grimes and keep the same structure in place they have had. With Noah Balta coming back from injury, Tarrant gives the Tigers the option of using Grimes and Balta in attacking roles while Tarrant can lock away the best opposition key forward.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/four-points-the-grand-final-assistants-who-could-coach-carlton-ditch-the-bye-tigers-smart-call-20210919-p58szj.html

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2021, 04:43:05 PM »
Sheesh just realised we would be trading for him rather Talia if fit.

Maybe CC-J and pick #? to Nm for Tarrant  and 20.

We don't have to trade for him

He is an unrestricted free agent, no trade required

I'd prefer to get him in a trade with CCJ so we get Chol comp which will be 2nd rounder, unsure what pick as we have about 4 lol.

So CCJ for Tarrant and Pick 36 and we get Chol 2nd rounder compo which is pick 28 say.

Chol and CCJ for pick 36 and 28 isn't world ending. Especially when at one stage CCJ could be going Pre Season draft for nothing and Chol being an ex rookie could have gone for no compo.
Reckon Chol compensation will be at the end of round two at this stage i think it would be around pick 39. We could get pick 38 for CC-J But North may just take him in the PSD.

Trade for Taarant guarantees we get pick 39? to go with 38 ccj and our pick 40. Pick 38, 39 40 all in a row would be nice.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2021, 05:56:29 PM »
Tim Watson thinks Tarrant and the Tigers are a “good fit” for a season or two, while Kane Cornes also likes the move.

“I do like it for Tarrant because he’s played in four finals,” Cornes told SEN Breakfast.

“Richmond’s going to have one last crack … so I like it.”

Richmond reportedly met with former Adelaide defender Daniel Talia before deciding to pursue Tarrant.

“For Talia, he’s only 29 years of age. He’ll find somewhere. I’m not exactly sure what club it will be,” Cornes said.

“They (Richmond) prioritised Tarrant so it leaves Daniel Talia a bit lost for at least a couple of weeks.”

Watson: “Would Geelong be looking at Talia, now do you think, as a full-back, key position player?”

Lyon: “I don’t think he’s what they would need down there, another 30-plus (player).

“(Nathan) Kreuger, the young boy down there that’s played two games who’s got a bit of size, at some time you’ve got to bite the bullet and play these guys, otherwise they’re going to leave. You’ve got to give them an opportunity.”

Watson: “I understand that. But if we use their history as any guide, 29 is a young recruit for the Cats.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/19/tarrant-a-good-fit-at-richmond-should-contender-target-talia/

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2021, 06:44:53 PM »
Heard we meant to get Taranto but there was a typo in the paper work... :shh
:lol  Sounds like something Greg Miller would’ve done in the Clinton Casey days.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
Watson: “I understand that. But if we use their history as any guide, 29 is a young recruit for the Cats.”

:lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2021, 10:51:30 PM »
Wonder if the club wants his as depth/mentor for a guy like Miller/Biggie...

...or are they backing the list in for another tilt?

I hope it's a tilt, even if another flag costs us 30 more years in the cellar.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2021, 07:13:08 AM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has hailed the recruiting of AFL free agent Robbie Tarrant, saying the North Melbourne veteran will revitalise their defence.

“That [free agent] period is yet to open, the free agency window. But obviously with Dave retiring, we felt we had a need for a bigger body-type defender,” Hardwick said.

“I think that will allow Dylan Grimes and Noah Balta to be a little bit freer down there. Dylan’s done an incredible job ever since the retirement of Alex (Rance) maintaining that back six, but he’s really capable of playing some really damaging footy for us as well getting a little bit higher up the ground.

“I’m really excited by bringing in Robbie that will allow us to explore the avenue of others as well. I think our forwards are pretty keen to get Robbie out of North Melbourne too because he does a hell of a job.

“He’s 32, but he’s missed a lot of footy at the start of this year and we think he’s got some really good footy in front of him.”

Source: Foxsports.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »
On Sportsday, Matthew Lloyd posed the question to Sam McClure regarding Richmond’s intentions.

Lloyd said: “The Robbie Tarrant move to Richmond, do you see that as North messing him around and he says I’m leaving?

“Or a player who says if I’m any chance of success, I’ve just got to take this and go to Richmond, potentially with a year left to have a crack at it.”

Sam McClure says the Tigers have made an experienced key defender a priority to replace the retired David Astbury, even asking the question of former Giants co-captain Phil Davis along with reported interest in departed Adelaide veteran Daniel Talia.

“I thinks it’s the latter,” he said in response to Lloyd.

“They were clearly looking at Daniel Talia. I think they’ve asked the question around Phil Davis, who’s got a really weird situation surrounding his supposed contract at GWS. Trying to work that one out.

“But clearly they’ve arrived on Tarrant. They needed some help down back.”

In response to that discussion, Gerard Healy has endorsed Richmond’s pursuit of Tarrant despite him entering his 13th season.

“It’s a big pick-up,” said the Brownlow Medallist.

“Robbie Tarrant is one of the best defenders the game has seen for a decade. He’s been playing in one of the worst sides of the last decade.

“He hasn’t been carried along with momentum, but if you wanted to pick up a bloke even at his age and stick him into a potential premiership side, I think he’s a fair way ahead of the other two (Talia and Davis).”

Source: SEN

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2021, 04:02:24 PM »
Should Richmond receive a compensation pick for Chol, its acquisition of North Melbourne veteran Robbie Tarrant would come as a trade. Any incoming free agents can offset compensation received for outgoing free agents.

Source: AFL website.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2021, 06:24:31 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column:

IF ...
David Astbury is a big loss ...

THEN ...
Robbie Tarrant is a massive in. Forget the age (33 early next season). Very astute recruiting.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/679622/sliding-doors-if-it-was-brown-last-year-and-tarrant-this-year-then

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2021, 09:47:17 PM »
What about Tarrant for Caddy?

Or 

CCJ and Caddy for Tarrant and 20
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do