Author Topic: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2022  (Read 106493 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2022
« Reply #465 on: September 22, 2022, 01:19:45 PM »
I wouldn’t be upset with just Taranto. The interesting one for me is GCS are keen to offload Bowes for salary cap and also willing to throw pick 7 in as well. I don’t think we can entertain that prospect since we need to make sure Taranto and the future is sorted (Bolton and sonsie for example) but jeez, throwing in a top 10 pick is a pretty wild sweetener

Things must be bad bad bad.

Good option for crap teams looking to rebuild like Norfff

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #466 on: September 22, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
The Gold Coast Suns are willing to offer pick 7 as well as Jack Bowes to interested clubs, reports AFL Media’s Cal Twomey.

The Suns are eager to ease salary cap pressure by offloading former no.10 pick Bowes, who still has two years to run on his current contract, and sweetening it with the 7th selection in this year’s draft.

Twomey understands that four Victorian clubs - Hawthorn, St Kilda, Geelong and Essendon - are showing interest in the combination.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/21/four-victorian-clubs-interested-in-sun-and-pick-7-combo/

Broadsword

« Reply #467 on: September 22, 2022, 04:21:44 PM »
Can someone explain this to me? They will give away a top 10 player and pick 7 for nothing?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #468 on: September 22, 2022, 04:51:49 PM »
Can someone explain this to me? They will give away a top 10 player and pick 7 for nothing?
Yep. The link above explains it. The Suns are using the new trade rule where you are now allowed to offload a contracted player to free up salary cap space including adding a cherry on top (pick 7 in this case) if another club is willing to take on that player's existing contract. Clearly, after losing Rankin, a freed-up salary cap is now more important to Gold Coast than another early pick who will likely leave in a couple of years anyway because of their tight salary cap. In essence, it looks like they are using this new trade rule to try and break that cycle.

-----

What do the Suns get out of the deal?

“The motivation is to free up the salary cap space and ease that pressure,” he [Twomey] added.

“They do have some re-signings that are important next year in Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson.

“And also in time they’re going to be a destination club. I can see the Suns becoming like Brisbane has become.

“They’re likely to get pick 5 as part of the Izak Rankine deal so they will still have a foot at the front of the draft.”
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Broadsword

« Reply #469 on: September 22, 2022, 05:06:37 PM »
Yep. The link above explains it. The Suns are using the new trade rule where you are now allowed to offload a contracted player to free up salary cap space including adding a cherry on top (pick 7 in this case) if another club is willing to take on that player's existing contract. Clearly, after losing Rankin, a freed-up salary cap is now more important to Gold Coast than another early pick who will likely leave in a couple of years anyway because of their tight salary cap. In essence, it looks like they are using this new trade rule to try and break that cycle.

If he's not good enough to be on the contract he's on then that is mismanagement, and handing another team pick 7 is simply curing mismanagement with further mismanagement.

I'm sure this is some ruse to get more top players and picks to Geelong ...

-----

What do the Suns get out of the deal?

“The motivation is to free up the salary cap space and ease that pressure,” he [Twomey] added.

“They do have some re-signings that are important next year in Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson.

“And also in time they’re going to be a destination club. I can see the Suns becoming like Brisbane has become.

“They’re likely to get pick 5 as part of the Izak Rankine deal so they will still have a foot at the front of the draft.”
Thanks for that. It still seems insane to me though. I mean, unless they're going to throw their hands up in the air and stop drafting entirely (which is illegal--3 picks minimum) then you're always going to head to the draft, and if you are, you might as well head there with pick 7 instead of pick 77.

If the player, Bowes, is good enough to be on a troublesome contract then he is good enough to be paid that contract elsewhere without pick 7 needing to head that way as well. ("Please, he's a jet, we'll give you pick 7 to pay him!" huh?) I mean why are we packaging up picks for Taranto and Hopper when they should apparently be heading our way instead?

If he's not good enough to be on that contract then that is mismanagement, but paying another club pick 7 to take him is curing mismanagement with further mismanagement.

Are we sure this isn't a new mechanism for keeping Geelong perpetually at the top. They've already changed the on-field rules to suit the style of those soft panic-merchants.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #470 on: September 22, 2022, 05:23:02 PM »
Surely we can work it , back end a contract or 2

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #471 on: September 22, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »
Suns are expecting to get Adelaide's pick 5 for Rankine

So it's not like they are going to miss out on a top 10 pick
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Broadsword

« Reply #472 on: September 22, 2022, 06:08:30 PM »
What sort of attitude is that though? They're literally giving away pick 7 for NOTHING.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #473 on: September 22, 2022, 06:23:37 PM »
What sort of attitude is that though? They're literally giving away pick 7 for NOTHING.

It’s trading a pick for salary cap relief.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Broadsword

« Reply #474 on: September 22, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »

I honestly can't believe it's a thing. It's encouraging teams who are rubbish at list management to be worse at list management by ending up with a garbage list instead of a pricey one. No idea how that is expected to be a good thing.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #475 on: September 22, 2022, 07:54:07 PM »
Well.the afl rewards incompetent clubs they gave sun's a priority pick last couple of years for what situations like this poor management.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #476 on: September 22, 2022, 08:06:19 PM »
They won’t be giving it up for nothing, they’ll be a pick coming back their way. Probably a switch of first rounders lol if I had to guess.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #477 on: September 22, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »
Well.the afl rewards incompetent clubs they gave sun's a priority pick last couple of years for what situations like this poor management.

Any coincidence that the AFL change the rules just as God Coast and GWS need to do a salary dump? Absolutely disgraceful!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #478 on: September 22, 2022, 09:53:48 PM »

Any coincidence that the AFL change the rules just as God Coast and GWS need to do a salary dump? Absolutely disgraceful!

Good point

Other Clubs have had to go down the salary dump fire sale over the years and the AFL did nothing

Now suddenly they do something
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2022, 10:18:37 PM »

I honestly can't believe it's a thing. It's encouraging teams who are rubbish at list management to be worse at list management by ending up with a garbage list instead of a pricey one. No idea how that is expected to be a good thing.

Common in other sports around the world.

It's just an incentive for another club to pay the contract.