Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156447 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #1290 on: June 17, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
I think I am probably the only person who watched the cricket last night

:rollin

:jump

Soccer just doesn't interest me  :shh
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1291 on: June 17, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »
When I first saw the Risdon challenge my immediate thought was penalty. I couldn't understand why the commentators thought it was 100% not a penalty on first thought. It was the right decision in the end but stuff me, you just knew it'd be us who got unlucky with this VAR stuff  :scream

he ain't a world class keeper, not even close. he's alright.
He won't go down as one of the greatest of all time but he is world class. Brighton can pretty much thank Ryan for staying up in the EPL.

There are only 20 #1 keepers in the EPL and La Liga, the two top leagues in the world. Ryan has been the starting keeper in both making him a world class keeper. Is a gun, we're lucky to have him.

We've got different definitions of world class boys.

Matty Ryan was a quality keeper at Brugge. Played 10 domestic league games for Valencia, so he wasn't really a starting keeper in La Liga. Did have a great season this year at Brighton but that's one season at EPL level. The likes of Brad Friedel, David James, Rob Green etc played quality football for their clubs for many years but I don't think I ever heard anyone refer to them as world class.
World Class for mine is being one of the absolute best in your position...and Ryan just isn't one of the best in the world.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1292 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

Would you attend a game if we ever hosted a World Cup? I have always wanted to go to a WC. Pity the 2022 is in Qatar...dunno if I'll make the trip there  ;D
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1293 on: June 17, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »

Would you attend a game if we ever hosted a World Cup? I have always wanted to go to a WC. Pity the 2022 is in Qatar...dunno if I'll make the trip there  ;D
i would recommend you do go because its brilliant. The vibe street parties and the atmosphere itself at games is something special we wont ever replicate.

I was at rio but aim to get to qatar provided they hold it in our summer.

edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:00:25 AM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

dwaino

« Reply #1294 on: June 17, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »
Serbs v Costa Rica is off to a cracker. 10 minutes in and it's end to end pinball stuff. Great atmosphere in Samara too. Love the carnival vibe of these international tournaments.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1295 on: June 17, 2018, 11:19:23 PM »
Samara is our next stop. Provided France win their last two games then even a draw against Denmark may be enough followed by a win over the weakest team in our group Peru to get through to the knockout stage.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #1296 on: June 17, 2018, 11:40:35 PM »
Kolarov's strike was a ripper. Navas had zero chance. This game has been awesome. Not a lot of fouls or out of plays and the ref is letting a lot go. Milinkovic-Savic is showing why he is so sought after by Real Madrid and Man Utd. He's all class.

Samara is our next stop. Provided France win their last two games then even a draw against Denmark may be enough followed by a win over the weakest team in our group Peru to get through to the knockout stage.

Only way to be sure will be 2 wins. A win and a draw would go down to goal difference and you would be relying on France beating up Denmark.

dwaino

« Reply #1297 on: June 17, 2018, 11:59:36 PM »
Spewing I have to go to work, reckon Germany v Mexico will be another ripper.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1299 on: June 18, 2018, 03:00:04 AM »
Beaners just knocked off the Krauts... :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1300 on: June 18, 2018, 03:13:18 AM »
Unreal

dwaino

« Reply #1301 on: June 18, 2018, 06:55:59 AM »
Love the ramifications of first game results. Sweden aren’t a push over at the moment but surely Germany roll through them and South Korea. Brazil drawing with Switzerland too is great news for Serbia.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1302 on: June 18, 2018, 06:59:31 AM »

Nope

Game doesn't interest me in the slightest

Find it boring

Then throw in the staging  :whistle

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1303 on: June 18, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
First half was as good a game as you'll see this tournament. End to end stuff. Mexico are QUICK, remind me of another team that are fast up front  :cheers

dwaino

« Reply #1304 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
First half was as good a game as you'll see this tournament. End to end stuff. Mexico are QUICK, remind me of another team that are fast up front  :cheers

Surely Reus gets a start next game. Only checked some highlights but Ozil and Gomez were in cruise control.