Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156465 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #675 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
Should give it to the States  :cheers

Would have done nothing for Aussie Soccer btw

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #676 on: September 18, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »

Would have done nothing for Aussie Soccer btw

Idiot  :)

gerkin greg

« Reply #677 on: September 18, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
lol what would it have done?

exposed even more how dog crap our local comp is to joe public?

you don't need the world cup to outdraw the BBL over summer in 12,000 capacity stadiums

waste of money bro

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #678 on: September 18, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
B) the bid was  good idea. A WC in Austria would have made billions at a small outlay (40 odd million bid) and word have changed the changed the sporting landscape in this country forever. A world cup in Australia would grow the sport immeasurable. 50$m was worth the risk.

I think you mean Australia not Austria

And you are correct it would have made billions for the FIFA, not Australian Soccer.

Revenues from Ticket sales & broadcast rights alone go to FIFA not the host country

Yes we would have made money from tourisim but not for the actual games themselves which is where the bulk of the revenues comes from

It was $50mil that could have been better spent on essential services rather than on something we never had any chance of winning

And BTW there is no way in hell FIFA is going to refund our bid monies. More chance of Rudd or Gillard being returned as PM than that happening
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
A) why shouldn't the FFA get the money back? FIFA has 'changed the goal posts' by moving the WC to the middle of the domestic football season. Its not a realistic scenario. la liga and the EPL are not going to shut for a year.

Apparently the wording states its only scheduled its not a must. I can't see FIFA refunding us the money.

Yesterday, in an interview with insideworldfootball.com, Blatter dismissed any suggestion that the world governing body could be sued by rival 2022 bidders, the US or Australia, because of the switch.

He quoted the Bid Registration Agreement, saying that point 1.2.1. stipulates that the 22nd edition of the FIFA World Cup is "scheduled to take place" in June and/or July of 2022 "in principle". It does not say that it "must" take place in those months, nor is it a "conditio sine qua non" to host the World Cup in June and July."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/the-times-sport/fifas-sepp-blatter-finally-admits-qatar-2022-world-cup-error/story-fniiw3ie-1226715841519#

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #680 on: September 18, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
 "in principle" you cant play a world cup during the middle of the English, Spanish, German, Italian etc. club seasons. FIFA knew it was 50 degrees in the Qatar summer before the bidding process began.

WP, Gerks... love you both but you blokes demented. I will reply with a long post later as to why you are wrong.  :)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #681 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:01 PM »
"in principle" you cant play a world cup during the middle of the English, Spanish, German, Italian etc. club seasons. FIFA knew it was 50 degrees in the Qatar summer before the bidding process began.

You can and they will.

gerkin greg

« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »
wont happen

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #683 on: September 18, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
WP, Gerks... love you both but you blokes demented. I will reply with a long post later as to why you are wrong.  :)

I think I can speak on behalf of Mr gerkin as well my good self when I say:

There's no need for a long post later

Becasue you are wrong and we are right  :rollin :rollin

gerkin greg

« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
Yesssss Big Willy Style  :clapping

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

You can and they will.

I bet you a box of yellow paddle pops they wont / can't

Who pays the wages? The club or international team
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:08:21 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #686 on: September 18, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

You can and they will.

I bet you a box of yellow paddle pops they wont / can't

What do you think is going to happen with the WC 2022. The FIFA medical chairman has said its to hot to play in the summer and I can't see them moving it to another country. They are having a vote on changing it to the winter on the 3rd of October.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:34:35 PM by tiger101 »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #687 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »
Anyone here going next year?

The Qatar victory  is why I'm going to Brazil

Won't see another one in a descent country for at least 9 years

Not a massive soccer fan but its all about the bucket list
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #688 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
Official: Qatar sees record number of Nepalese deaths in July

Last month proved to be the deadliest month on record for Nepalese expats in Qatar, with 32 deaths in all. Most of the deceased were construction workers in their 20s who died of cardiovascular disease, a Nepalese embassy official told Doha News.

When asked what could prompt the men to develop heart problems at such an early age, Second Secretary Harihar idiot Poudel cited working conditions as the main issue:

“Many workers are going without meals, and without enough water, then they are working in high temperatures all day. The weather here is different from our country. Our nationals are not used to it.”

Poudel confirmed a report in the Peninsula that 13 Nepalese laborers died in July from different cardiovascular disorders. Some 11 more perished in road traffic accidents and eight further deaths were attributed to falls and other on-site accidents.

He added, however, that some deaths are ruled to be caused by heart problems to cover up on-site accidents.

"There have been cases where we have suspected that there has been a mutual understanding between the doctor and the company, and the doctor has made a false report saying that they died of cardiac arrest – it is easier for a company to say they died of that.”

Though companies are not allowed to make outdoor employees work between 11am and 3pm during the searing summer months, laborers in Qatar still remain at high risk of heat stroke, which can be fatal if not treated quickly.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #689 on: September 20, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
Official: Qatar sees record number of Nepalese deaths in July

the link Bents please add the Link