Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156409 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #1395 on: July 17, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1396 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:15 AM »
Emerging Socceroos star Daniel Arzani has officially signed for reigning Premier League champions Manchester City from sister club Melbourne City.

It is expected Arzani will be immediately loaned out to Scottish giants Celtic, after he attended the club’s Champions League qualifying match against AEK Athens at Celtic Park overnight.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/08/09/arzani-seals-move-to-premier-league-giants/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1397 on: October 01, 2018, 07:17:15 PM »
Mile Jedinak, who captained the Socceroos at two World Cups, has announced he will retire from international soccer.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/socceroos-captain-mile-jedinak-retires-from-international-soccer-20181001-p50766.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1398 on: December 09, 2018, 11:27:45 PM »
The Matildas have Brazil, Italy & Jamaica in their World Cup group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIFA_Women%27s_World_Cup_Group_C

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1399 on: December 11, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »
Aaron Mooy is almost certain to miss Australia’s Asian Cup defence in January after sustaining a knee injury, according to The Australian.

Mooy is reportedly set to miss 4-6 weeks after sustaining the medical ligament injury late in Huddersfield’s 1-0 defeat to Arsenal on Saturday.

The report also states that Celtic midfielder Tommy Rogic is battling a knee injury of his own and could be a doubt for the tournament in the UAE.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/11/report-aaron-mooy-set-to-miss-asian-cup/

With Arzani also out with his ACL, we'll be sending our B-side to the Asian Cup at this rate  :-\.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1400 on: January 06, 2019, 11:57:31 PM »
Shockeroos... :facepalm
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1401 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:20 AM »
#Arnoldout already trending on twitter.

77% possession yet not score  :help.

Our smallest mid marking their tallest player at that corner with no one protecting the near post  :help.

Continue to play like that and we won't even get out of the group.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1402 on: January 23, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
There are only 20 #1 keepers in the EPL and La Liga, the two top leagues in the world. Ryan has been the starting keeper in both making him a world class keeper. Is a gun, we're lucky to have him.
Proved it again in the penalty shootout against Uzbekistan.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1403 on: January 23, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
He's not a gun. Reasonable shot stopper on his day though.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1404 on: January 24, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »
Not Ryan's fault he plays in mediocre teams at both club and international level. Stats wise he's a top line keeper in the EPL. That's more than just reasonable.

No Premier League goalkeeper faced more shots than Ryan last season, 560 in total - an average of almost 15 per game - while his save percentage clocked in at 69.49, ranking him eighth in 2017-18 from those who played 10 games or more.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/13949/11385223/mat-ryan-the-brighton-and-australia-goalkeeper-charged-with-stopping-frances-forwards-at-the-world-cup

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1405 on: January 24, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »
Well, club level it is champ. If a top line club wanted him to be their #1, he would be.

8th. Cool.

He's a reasonable shot stopper. End of. If he wasn't Australian you would have NFI who he is let alone call him a gun
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1406 on: January 24, 2019, 09:59:59 PM »
Well, club level it is champ. If a top line club wanted him to be their #1, he would be.

8th. Cool.

He's a reasonable shot stopper. End of. If he wasn't Australian you would have NFI who he is let alone call him a gun
Yeah because no one notices players of other nationalities from their own when watching the EPL   :rollin. Also there's more to goalkeeping at that level than shot stopping.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1407 on: January 25, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »

8th. Cool.

Yeah because no one notices players of other nationalities from their own when watching the EPL   :rollin. Also there's more to goalkeeping at that level than shot stopping.
It's a good call and you know it.
You're not going to sit here and tell me you sit up and watch a bunch of EPL on Optus every weekend are you, therefore you know the strengths and weaknesses of every keeper in the PL? Mate, there's a guy who is 3rd choice keeper at Arsenal and currently on loan who is narrowly ahead of Ryan. England's national setup has a couple around his quality and a couple well above him.

Yes, there is more to shot stopping but that's Ryan's best quality. Though some of his distribution can be fantastic on occasion. Other areas of his game leave a bit to be desired at times.

I'm not calling him a dud, he's generally a fine keeper and has done well at Brighton. But this 'gun' talk is nonsense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1408 on: January 25, 2019, 08:02:42 PM »

8th. Cool.

It's a good call and you know it.
You're not going to sit here and tell me you sit up and watch a bunch of EPL on Optus every weekend are you, therefore you know the strengths and weaknesses of every keeper in the PL? Mate, there's a guy who is 3rd choice keeper at Arsenal and currently on loan who is narrowly ahead of Ryan. England's national setup has a couple around his quality and a couple well above him.

Yes, there is more to shot stopping but that's Ryan's best quality. Though some of his distribution can be fantastic on occasion. Other areas of his game leave a bit to be desired at times.

I'm not calling him a dud, he's generally a fine keeper and has done well at Brighton. But this 'gun' talk is nonsense.
Yet you're the one acting as though you're the oracle on all goalkeepers in the EPL. Ryan was considered to replace De Gea at Man U if the latter had left Old Trafford. You come across as a Eurosnob. No matter how good they are, an Aussie will always be classed as inferior to anyone from a traditional soccer superpower. You probably thought Bosnich and Schwarzer were just shot stoppers too. Ryan took a long time to develop and will not go down as a great but to say he isn't a gun now is like saying Vlastuin isn't a gun in our defence because he isn't Luke Hodge. You're playing semantics.

Ospina's best was about 3-4 years ago and he has fallen down the pecking order at Arsenal in the past 12 months. They wouldn't have signed Leno otherwise who has past an aging Cech. That's why Ospina is out on loan to Napoli.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1409 on: January 26, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
Degenek :facepalm.

Only got ourselves to blame. If you can't put the ball in the back of the opposition's net and score then you're not going to win too many games. It wasn't just this morning either. In 3 out of our 5 games we went scoreless (Jordan, Uzbekistan and UAE). Pressure now rightly will come down on Arnold who now failed twice to get us past the quarter finals in Asian Cups. It doesn't help that those running the game off-field in the FFA are a shambles. Ange would still be the Socceroos coach otherwise.