Author Topic: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2024  (Read 36039 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2024
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2024, 07:15:03 PM »
People aren’t trading for pick 1 for points they’re trading for it so they can their pick of the bunch. Not saying someone would offer 5 and 6, but points don’t really factor into it.

Gives an indication of what the picks are worth

And with an even draft , 5 and 6 for 1 is insanity

Harley Reid being available in a draft would change that, but in this draft, no chance

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2024, 07:18:51 PM »
People aren’t trading for pick 1 for points they’re trading for it so they can their pick of the bunch. Not saying someone would offer 5 and 6, but points don’t really factor into it.

Harley Reid being available in a draft would change that, but in this draft, no chance

Correct. But trading early picks is about clubs getting the players they want.

Can’t remember the exact makeup of the trade but it happened a couple of seasons ago where north traded pick 1 to GWS because giants were desperate for Cadman.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2024, 07:31:23 PM »

Correct. But trading early picks is about clubs getting the players they want.

Can’t remember the exact makeup of the trade but it happened a couple of seasons ago where north traded pick 1 to GWS because giants were desperate for Cadman.

yep 100%, BTW they got their guy in Wardlow who is going to be a genuine star of the comp. Cadman may also.

i think clubs talk and it would be nice if Dimma gave us some goodwill after beiding us over with hopper.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2024, 08:15:11 PM »

Look im a schmuckk when it comes to the kids but i can think of one who looks to be a player who can carry a team on his back.
Josh Smillie for me even coming off an average carnival.

So they are all even which is a nonsense we get told poo by the media and we continually swallow it.

There Is always standouts.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2024, 10:50:43 PM »
Smillie's a boom or bust type you'd take in the second round or maybe late in the first.....Draper & Smith will be the best straight away...O'Sullivan & Lalor will be the best in the long run.. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2024, 09:04:44 PM »
Can anyone guarantee pick 1 will be better than pick 20 , I can’t , if your relying on our recruitment team to get it half  right, didn’t pick Van Royan or Bazza even though we desperately needed them, obsessed with back flankers

this.

how many pick ones are better than pick 2 or 3's and so on

more often than not they arent the best player. I think there are pro's and con's either way in that your later selections are brought forward by 1 as well.
So if you traded pick 1, what could you realistically expect back?? Eg pick one for pick 5 and 6??

Considering pick one is worth 3000
Pick 5 and 6 are worth 3629

So no , you wouldn’t get 5 and 6 for pick one

Reckon pick 1 comes at a premium of 20-25% in points so perhaps 5 and 7 or 8?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #216 on: August 05, 2024, 09:35:45 PM »
Smillie's a boom or bust type you'd take in the second round or maybe late in the first.....Draper & Smith will be the best straight away...O'Sullivan & Lalor will be the best in the long run.. :shh

I can't see Smillie going past pick 10. Would be genuinely laughable if he does. Had a crap carnival but been the cream of the crop his entire junior journey. He's lost the right to be pick 1 but I still think he goes top 5. Always fascinating what clubs think post draft combine but I expect he will test extremely well.
Go Tigers!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #217 on: August 05, 2024, 09:40:31 PM »

Smillie imo Will go top 5. Lalor is the other one i have liked from a long way out.
Not buying into the Smith Hype. Dont think his footskills are good enough to take him at #1 based on the little i have seen of him.
Again just a glimpse here and there has me ask the questions.

Like i said im a schmuck in recent drafts with only snippetts here or there but Smillie has shown bits and pieces that makes you drool at what he may become..

Hope your right in a way and we take whoever first pick and Smillie gets to us with our second. Not really fussed either way just as long as we don't waste whatever picks we end up with.

Used to be right into going to games and watching these sort of kids but i just can't be arsed most of the time anymore not for a few years anyway..
Have had a good track record though with west aussie kids when i have got off my arse and gone and watched.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: August 05, 2024, 10:13:07 PM »
Smillie is top 5. Probably too 3 still.

I reckon we'll consider him.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2024, 10:27:48 PM »
Smillie will almost certainly go top 10 and probably top 5 ....but to me he's getting away with a lot due to his size, which he won't at AFL level and didn't as much in the champs against the best kids- fumbly & poor below his knees, goes to ground way too easily, not a good mark, poor defensively, not a great tank/one way runner,  good burst speed but not that quick overall.....can find it though so at least shouldn't be another RCD in that regard, though having said that doesn't always attack the footy as hard as he should....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2024, 11:43:05 AM »
Something interesting brewing will be our cap space, especially if we master a trade deal for Bolton and now with Dusty retirement. There is a real scenario that Lynch joins Dusty in retirement this year if not certainly next year at 33. So we could effe tibely have 3-4mil cap space created with these 3 all finishing at RFC within a 12 month period or even at same time.

It becomes a bit of a mess because you may over pay for some and your list management becomes uneven. Be interesting to see how we approach it and if anything this may weigh on Bolton being kept rather than traded.
Go Tigers!

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2024, 11:57:04 AM »
Something interesting brewing will be our cap space, especially if we master a trade deal for Bolton and now with Dusty retirement. There is a real scenario that Lynch joins Dusty in retirement this year if not certainly next year at 33. So we could effe tibely have 3-4mil cap space created with these 3 all finishing at RFC within a 12 month period or even at same time.

It becomes a bit of a mess because you may over pay for some and your list management becomes uneven. Be interesting to see how we approach it and if anything this may weigh on Bolton being kept rather than traded.

Agreed we will have a lot of space. Expect to pay some of Bolton and riolis salary if they leave.
Will result in a lot of people being over paid as I believe you have to pay 90% of your salary? Also a lot of 1-2 year deals I suspect. Will be big players in the upcoming free agencies though you would think.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2024, 12:09:12 PM »
If we pay D Rioli and Bolton's wages we can keep our TPP at the required level AND demand excellent compensation from other clubs.

Then we can pursue either FA targets during compromised drafts or front load contracts for blokes we want to get off the books later/draftees we want to secure for longer.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2024, 05:01:43 PM »
Out: Dusty

In: Harley

:gotigers

- Thomas Sowell

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2024, 09:04:45 PM »

Agreed we will have a lot of space. Expect to pay some of Bolton and riolis salary if they leave.
Will result in a lot of people being over paid as I believe you have to pay 90% of your salary? Also a lot of 1-2 year deals I suspect. Will be big players in the upcoming free agencies though you would think.

Passing their salaries might actually help us not over paying some kids which has shown to work against you eg GC
Go Tigers!