Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 306080 times)

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:43 PM »
Half forward flank I'd say.  Has the tank to run up onto the wing, and has the hands to play in the guts occasionally.

The thing is though, how many times have we seen him running towards the 50 and shanking the kick?
Push up!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
put him in the middle and tell him only to get contested ball and handball.

His ability to sidestep and create space in heavy traffic is second to none and he has very quick hands.

his ability to shank his kicks is also second to none.

Oh al please I like you mate and I hate arguing with you but....

Really, side step..second to none...please he side steps right into tackles mate. Create space....what so he can turn it over...quick hands...maybe in the change rooms after the game....

agree with your last comment though.. :thumbsup

Some things can only be seen with your eyes and mind open.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:24 PM »

His ability to sidestep and create space in heavy traffic is second to none and he has very quick hands.

Really, side step..second to none...please he side steps right into tackles mate. Create space....what so he can turn it over...quick hands...maybe in the change rooms after the game....

:thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »

Al with Edwards i watched with eyes wide open for what is it now 5 years and applauded his end to 2010 for what i thought was a step in the right direction

His 2011 was further proof IMO that he is only getting a game because well we have no other options.

He is filling a gap much like Mcguane and Miller are untill a better player comes good. Right now its either Edwards or someone like Connors so we are kind of stuck with him.

Just on his "side steps" i dont really care who he can side step if he then kicks it straight to an opposition player. He could be Muhammad Ali for all i care but facts are he is a average footballer who is getting gifted games.

His kicking is not his worst aspect of his game, that would be his defensive pressure.

Does he know how to lay a tackle or really put pressure on opponents. Negative.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »
his 2011 was marred by a severely interupted pre season. he had the red vest on much of pre season training which meant no contact work.

I understand and know he has his limitations, but he does have some pluses. He just needs to consistantly show it, coz when he is bad he is bad.

But watch the adelaide game from last year and watch how many times he takes possesion under pressure but manages to get an effective handball to a team mate, which usually resulted as a kick inside 50.

many time he was so deft you could easily miss it, probably more so watching live where you dont get as good a view of much of the inside work done by players as watching TV. ( as opposed to things like defensive pressure and work rate, which are a lot harder to pick up on TV)

Not trying to convince anyone he is a good player, but he does bring something to the team when he is on song. Just need to see it more often.

FWIW, he laid the 9th most tackles at the club this year, so while not an argument in favour, it's not really one against him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »
his 2011 was marred by a severely interupted pre season. he had the red vest on much of pre season training which meant no contact work.

I understand and know he has his limitations, but he does have some pluses. He just needs to consistantly show it, coz when he is bad he is bad.

But watch the adelaide game from last year and watch how many times he takes possesion under pressure but manages to get an effective handball to a team mate, which usually resulted as a kick inside 50.

many time he was so deft you could easily miss it, probably more so watching live where you dont get as good a view of much of the inside work done by players as watching TV. ( as opposed to things like defensive pressure and work rate, which are a lot harder to pick up on TV)

Not trying to convince anyone he is a good player, but he does bring something to the team when he is on song. Just need to see it more often.

FWIW, he laid the 9th most tackles at the club this year, so while not an argument in favour, it's not really one against him.

Usually don't like to comment on such things as everyone has an opinion and they're usually quite stalwart. But in this case you look a little out numbered so just want to pipe in and say I agree with you. The disclaimer being I'm not saying the bloke is a champion. I personally do think he has a pretty good work rate and has a knack of getting to the ball and chucking on good tackles around packs or applying enough pressure to force opponents to fumble. You're right about watching him live, he's always doing something for the team that is easily overlooked on the telly. If he improved on his delivery skills but like mentioned he would be a really valuable player. He's the kind of fella I don't mind having on the field. Certainly no gun but far from a spud.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »

Haters gonna hate.

You're not alone. Good post.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2011, 01:22:35 AM »
God lets all hug like Edwards groupies...

He is not an AFL footballer, never has been and never will be, stick up for him all you like, but unless he puts on another 10kilos and kicks straight he aint going to make it.

Get used to it, he is another fringe player at best and we don't need fringe players to win games...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2011, 07:11:22 AM »

Good summary al

Your are right unfortunately for Edwards; hs is like a lot of players on our list and that is the gap between his good and not good is massive.

Think people shpuld have another look at his game against the Swans at the MCH as a defensive forward; again very good inside but his kicking was terrible...sums him up really

But IMHO he certainly isn't the worst on our list 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
Its great that when some of you are promoting Edwards you are using ONE game each as an example....that shows ho inconsistent and erratic his from is. How about you use multiple games as examples.....mmmmm...you cant, but we could for his bad performances.

Edwards, Connors, Thursfield, Hislop, Morton (who IMO is better thann Edwards), McGuane (who again I rate better than Edwards but he cops far more crap) etc... they are all the same, Edwards should not be on our list IMO.

Who do we have that is far worse then in peoples opinion??????

"Rucks:

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
All will be revealed in 2012. Edwards has well and truly served his apprenticeship, 24 years old next year. Perform consistently or GTFO. No more excuses :thumbsup
good luck Shedwards

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »
Its great that when some of you are promoting Edwards you are using ONE game each as an example....that shows ho inconsistent and erratic his from is. How about you use multiple games as examples.....mmmmm...you cant, but we could for his bad performances.

Edwards, Connors, Thursfield, Hislop, Morton (who IMO is better thann Edwards), McGuane (who again I rate better than Edwards but he cops far more crap) etc... they are all the same, Edwards should not be on our list IMO.

Seriously WAT are you reading all off the posts or just parts of them to help with your point  :huh

Because you seem to be ignoring some things

I said this:
"Your are right unfortunately for Edwards; hs is like a lot of players on our list and that is the gap between his good and not good is massive" and ended by saying "But IMHO he certainly isn't the worst on our list"

al said:
"I understand and know he has his limitations, but he does have some pluses. He just needs to consistantly show it, coz when he is bad he is bad"

So I don't think anyone is disputing that he isn't a great player or that he is going to win us a flag

As for you wanting more than 2 games highlighted how many would be enough 4, 6, 20, 30?

The point is he isn't the worst on our list.

Yes Morton is probably a better player skills wise (who went missing far too often IMO) but he wanted out so he is gone

As for others worse than Edwards? I'd say Connors, Dea (at this stage, although early), Gourdis & Graham could be called "worse" and those on par with Edwards would be Jackson & Post

Just my take

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
Daniel Jackson is great. He is in the same Lord of the rings fan club as me :)

Edwards has played a few ripper games but by eff is he inconsistent. I agree that he should get a run across half forward.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »

Seriously WAT are you reading all off the posts or just parts of them to help with your point  :huh

Because you seem to be ignoring some things

I said this:
"Your are right unfortunately for Edwards; hs is like a lot of players on our list and that is the gap between his good and not good is massive" and ended by saying "But IMHO he certainly isn't the worst on our list"

al said:
"I understand and know he has his limitations, but he does have some pluses. He just needs to consistantly show it, coz when he is bad he is bad"

So I don't think anyone is disputing that he isn't a great player or that he is going to win us a flag

As for you wanting more than 2 games highlighted how many would be enough 4, 6, 20, 30?

The point is he isn't the worst on our list.

Yes Morton is probably a better player skills wise (who went missing far too often IMO) but he wanted out so he is gone

As for others worse than Edwards? I'd say Connors, Dea (at this stage, although early), Gourdis & Graham could be called "worse" and those on par with Edwards would be Jackson & Post

Just my take

No WP, all good, reading them all.

I just dont see any positives to his game where athers do, some are pointing out his apparent good side as well as his bad....so there you go.

How many games you ask...highlight me more than 5 this year when you would of said..WOW he is an important part of theis team, he will help us get into finals...

Edwards has had way more, 100 times more games to prove himself then all of the players you have mentioned bar Jackson and IMO Jackson is better. At least Jackson has the build and puts his body on the line....

"Rucks:

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »

Exactly Al if he didn't need his feet to run you would tape them together so he couldn't kick