Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 306703 times)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #780 on: December 07, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
As it happens he is also a high jump champ.

Athletically, physically and mentally, he brings to footy the following:-

- Great leap.

Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #781 on: December 08, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
pretty good assessment there.
who is Colin Wiseby? it reads like its a recruiters report?

I think he used to do phantom drafts before they were cool. He apparently got caned by a lot of people on forums and went into hiding.

Shame. Few(none) will get them all right. I enjoy his thoughts just the same.
He did get sick of the criticism but I believe he started being an actual recruiter for an AFL club which stopped him posting his phantom drafts once and for all.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #782 on: December 08, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »

I think he used to do phantom drafts before they were cool. He apparently got caned by a lot of people on forums and went into hiding.

He did get sick of the criticism but I believe he started being an actual recruiter for an AFL club which stopped him posting his phantom drafts once and for all.
Tigers

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #783 on: December 09, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »

Tigers

Nah I'm wrong. I got Wiseby and Weaver mixed up. Weaver is the Tiger supporter who now works for Collingwood.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #784 on: December 09, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »
At Collingwood now?  He did originally go to the Eagles.  Damien Streets is his name and it was him that originally espoused the "overflowing hamburger" theory about midfields that I have posted about on here a couple of times.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #785 on: December 09, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
*does Google search*

A guy who used to post on Tiger-Talk and Big Footy who I'm sure many will know or know of - Damien Streets (Weaver) posted a theory a number of years ago about midfielders and he used the descriptor "overflowing hamburger".  He said that like a hamburger - you keep adding ingredients, it starts to hang out the sides until it overflows past the edges of the bun and you can't keep it contained within the bun no matter what you try - the key to a successful team was to stack your midfield with as many good mids as you could get, the more the better, as no opposition could counter a team full of good mids.  He acknowledged the importance of key position players but said the overriding factor was the quality and quantity of mids.  He quoted all of the recent successful teams (he posted this years ago but his theory has held true since) and each one had a midfield that met this criteria.  This is what we are building now and I'm sure it is why the club concentrated more heavily on drafting mids in the early TW/GM years before 'filling in the blanks' over the last couple of years.  I (and many others) have a lot of respect for Damien's opinions and views (he is a very astute judge of draft candidates), and he has since been employed in the footy department of a rival club (hence his disappearance from the forums) so it points to the value some in the industry place on his opinion and knowledge.  I think we will continue to see our hamburger overflow this year and the results will speak for themselves.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #786 on: December 09, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
At Collingwood now?  He did originally go to the Eagles.  Damien Streets is his name and it was him that originally espoused the "overflowing hamburger" theory about midfields that I have posted about on here a couple of times.

Who knows? I wouldn't trust my info, I seem to be very confused. Collingwood is what I heard but I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #787 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »

Who knows? I wouldn't trust my info, I seem to be very confused. Collingwood is what I heard but I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong.

You could well be right, I haven't heard much of him at all in recent years.  He basically went 'underground' from posting on forums after he was employed (and rightly so) so he could be anywhere.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #788 on: December 09, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
Surely Streets had some role in a decent footy club before he went to the AFL. Never heard of a random on the internet getting a recruiting gig because of stuff they write on Big Footy ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
Dunno Coach, I've never met him personally but he was the originator of one of the first fan forums from any club - tiger-talk - back in March '96 and was very active in there until he went west.  I think he might have also been a Mod on BF but someone who reads there might be able to confirm that.  He was certainly very respected in footy circles by many who interacted with the forums but what experience he had outside of that I really don't know.  It's not beyond the realms though to apply for a job and get an interview despite a lack of 'classical' experience - he might have been able to win the gig through sheer depth of knowledge and/or insights.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #790 on: December 09, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
He's done well for himself either way.

the claw

« Reply #791 on: December 09, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
on edwards
ive been a constant critic ever since we drafted him.
ive based as usual all criticisms on strengths weakneses and performance.
thing is when one criticices him you a hater when one praises him your a ship jumper.
for me overall shane edwards has been disappointing overall. hes had two seasons where for large chunks of them  hes showed that just maybe he is a afl player. one of those seasons was this yr.

based on his strengths weakness and overall performances after 6yrs i cannot for the life of me back him in the ball is in his court he needs to show he can consistenly play good footy and the gap between shizen and good has narrowed. for a sml i would have expected this to happen 3 yrs ago.

what do we make of it if he reverts back to what has been the norm and that is below standard . i cannot say with any sort of confidence that this wont happen.
what do we say if he continues on from the 12 or so games from this yr. maybe we can say hallelujah it looks like hes found some real consistency of performance and finally taken the next step.

to me what is overlooked is a 180cm sml player who has his limitations by the way is still being questioned over if hes going to be good enough after 6 yrs in the system.

i liked his last 12 or so games i really hope he can finally string some consitency together i really hope the gap from shizen to good continues to narrow.

tony_montana

« Reply #792 on: December 09, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
Yep pretty sure Weaver works at collingwood, the work he put into his phantom drafts and his obvious passion and knowledge got him the gig. Lucky bastard but good on him.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #793 on: December 09, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »
if he does its only a minor role (assistant in WA or SA?). The colonwoood site gives a fair list of recruiting staff and his name isn't on it
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #794 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
for me overall shane edwards has been disappointing overall. hes had two seasons where for large chunks of them  hes showed that just maybe he is a afl player. one of those seasons was this yr.

based on his strengths weakness and overall performances after 6yrs i cannot for the life of me back him in the ball is in his court he needs to show he can consistenly play good footy and the gap between shizen and good has narrowed. for a sml i would have expected this to happen 3 yrs ago.

2 of his past 3 seasons (10,12) by your own admission have been pretty good. In 2011 he was curtailed by a serious shoulder injury and he dropped away.
He's now well entrenched in the best 22 but no doubt he could improve further. I think he can too.