Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 266714 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Shane Edwards thread [merged]
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »
TRACKING TIGER’S TALENT TO INDIGENOUS ROOTS
Inside Football
February 27, 2008
By Peter Argent

With Richmond's young small forward Shane Edwards revealing has Aboriginal heritage, the list of indigenous AFL footballers has grown yet again.

Edwards takes the tally of Aboriginal players on AFL lists this year to 72 - or just over 10 per cent of the competition.

"Yes, on my mother Tara's side, we are Aboriginal descendants,” the Tigers second-year player said.

"Naturally I am very proud of both sides of my heritage.

"It is great to be a part of the Aboriginal family that has Played AFL football.

Edwards was already-a third-generation SANFL footballer before being drafted by Richmond as their second round selection (No.26 overall), making his senior debut for Tigers early last winter.

His father Greg kicked 104 goals for Central District in 1982, before losing the sight in one eye in a freak accident the next year.

His uncle Russell played a handful of games with the Port Adelaide Magpies, while his grandfather Doug played for West Torrens and North Adelaide.

Showing a willingness to work hard and back his ability, Edwards displayed plenty of character and desire in his rookie season, playing 16 games after making his first senior appearance in the Round 4 match against the Western Bulldogs at the MCG.

Edwards, who arrived at Punt Road with a slightly built 67kg frame, has worked hard to build up his lean body, adding nine kilos already with a view to reaching 80kg.

Edwards is keen to make even more of an impact this season.

“I am looking to take any opportunity by the scruff of the neck and to be consistent when I get my opportunities at the top level,” he said.

The former North Adelaide player would love to get a chance to in the middle of the ground, as he played as a wingman for the Roosters in Adelaide, but is happy to play where the Tigers need him.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »
love this kid, really reckon he will make a name for himself by the end of his career. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »
Edwards, who arrived at Punt Road with a slightly built 67kg frame, has worked hard to build up his lean body, adding nine kilos already with a view to reaching 80kg.
Good to hear. Shane was listed as 71kg last year so he's added another 5kgs over summer.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 11:11:11 PM »

Best part of the whole article.  :clapping

EDIT: Touche MT.  :rollin
EAT EM ALIVE!

richmondrules

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 07:08:03 AM »
Haven't been so excited about the number 10 since we had a plumber in the back pocket.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
Always had a hunch Edwards was at least part Aboriginal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »
Haven't been so excited about the number 10 since we had a plumber in the back pocket.
What not Allister Scott?  lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »
Good to hear. Shane was listed as 71kg last year so he's added another 5kgs over summer.
It looks like he has beefed up a bit in the photo from training the other day.  Looks less likely to 'snap' in half now!  :thumbsup

Offline 08yearofthetiger

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
This kid will be a star. Wins the contested ball as well as the outside posseisions is a true midfielder and when closer to his full playing weight in 2-4 years time will become a gun. He shows confidence and a pint of arrogance, backs himself from a contest and uses the ball well. Plus is a natrual leader with a huge tank.
 :gotigers

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »
This kid will be a star. Wins the contested ball as well as the outside posseisions is a true midfielder and when closer to his full playing weight in 2-4 years time will become a gun. He shows confidence and a pint of arrogance, backs himself from a contest and uses the ball well. Plus is a natrual leader with a huge tank.

There is one passage of play i will never forget, though forgot the opposing team lol. Maybe 20 metres out from goal Edwards is sprawled on the ground, he knocks it out to a team-mate who kicks the goal. That really stood out for me.  :clapping

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »
A gem :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »
There is one passage of play i will never forget, though forgot the opposing team lol. Maybe 20 metres out from goal Edwards is sprawled on the ground, he knocks it out to a team-mate who kicks the goal. That really stood out for me.  :clapping
Was that against the Hawks?

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:59 PM »

Stop it. You are giving me goosebumps.

I would dearly love for one of these talented youngsters in Deledio, Connors, Tambling, Edwards or Cotchin to become an elite footballer in the AFL.

Shane is as good a chance as any IMO.

Exciting times ahead if two or three of them make it.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
I was told today the reason Edwards isn't playing seniors is because he's put on too much weight too quickly (unbelievable at RFC eh) and it's affected his speed  :-\. So make of that what you will.