Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 454551 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3165 on: June 29, 2018, 11:07:24 PM »
not for me its not

this game was against quality opposition and it meant more.

Eagles at the g in winter vrs a 1 v 2 game. Last night he did everything and more.
I don’t care if I am wrong to be honest, it’s good we can compare bodies of work. I agree Jack was brilliant last night.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3166 on: June 29, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
He was great last night but his best games are when he brings ball to ground, takes marks and uses deft touches that bring his teammates into the game.
His feel for what he needs to do from one game to the next is sublime,
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3167 on: June 30, 2018, 01:18:50 AM »
he was massive on anzac day eve last year. he was marking everything in the wet and kicked 5 from memory? Against a 2nd on the ladder Sydney is pretty special though and will probably go down as one of his greatest performances

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3168 on: June 30, 2018, 06:40:37 AM »
Still maintain his got the smartest football brain in the afl by a mile just a pure natural footballer.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3169 on: June 30, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »
not for me its not

this game was against quality opposition and it meant more.

Eagles at the g in winter vrs a 1 v 2 game. Last night he did everything and more.
I don’t care if I am wrong to be honest, it’s good we can compare bodies of work. I agree Jack was brilliant last night.

yeah splitting hairs  :thumbsup. He is a gun thats all i know

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3170 on: June 30, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
Imagine if we had 2 of him on Thursday? CHF Jack taking those huge marks 50-80m out, wheeling & kicking to FF Jack inside 50 for more big clunks <3

Did make me excited at the prospect of he & Lynch in the same side.

Best marking performance I have seen since Richo at his best
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3171 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
Jack Riewoldt building Hall of Fame case says Whateley

By Mark Koelmeyer
SEN
30 June 2018

Gerard Whateley believes Richmond star forward Jack Riewoldt is building a Hall of Fame resume.

Riewoldt has been a star of the competition for a number of years and was lauded for the selfless role he played as Richmond broke a 37-year premiership drought last season.

The two-time Coleman Medallist had a match-winning performance against Sydney last night, racking up 23 disposals, taking a colossal 16 marks and booting three goals, and Whateley believes if he can win another premiership, he is on track to make a case for the Hall of Fame.

“He had the perception that he was a clown I reckon,” said Whateley on SEN's The Pre-Game Show.

“Perhaps he allowed that to happen to him as well, but he’s building a Hall of Fame CV.

“When you start to stack it up, if he adds another premiership to that, by the time he’s finished he’ll be regarded as one of the best of the era.

“His transformation to the selfless nature in which he plays, having been the show off full-forward for a long time, but last night when it was required, only few can do that.”

SEN Breakfast host Garry Lyon echoed Whateley’s sentiments, describing Riewoldt’s performance last night as a game ‘for the ages’.

“As commentators, we were down on Jack because that used to be the way he went about it,” said Lyon.

“It was more about me, how come I’m not getting frees, it was berating, it was running away from news crews, all that sort of stuff.

“And last night was a game for the ages.

“He’s had a fantastic three or four years.

“You can appreciate that, from footy players to non footy players, forwards, backs, defenders, that was one for the ages.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/29/jack-riewoldt-building-hall-of-fame-case-says-whateley/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3172 on: July 02, 2018, 05:43:02 AM »
Selfless Riewoldt still a star

Jack Riewoldt's recast role inside Richmond's forward line over recent seasons has meant he has often sacrificed his own game. At times, he has roamed up the ground to provide a linking target, while, as the sole tall in attack, he can always be relied on to create a marking contest – and crumbs for hungry smalls such as Dan Butler, Jason Castagna, Daniel Rioli and Jack Higgins. But under Thursday night's bright spotlight the dual Coleman medallist showed he can still play the match-winner when required. Manned for most of the game by hard-checking Swan Heath Grundy, Riewoldt took a career-high 16 marks – his previous best was 14 in round five, 2009, against North Melbourne – while he equalled his best tally of contested marks (seven). He finished with 23 possessions, just one shy of his best tally, and kicked 3.2. Two of his goals game from outside 50m, one of those after a towering speccy that showed he still has plenty of spring left in his 29-year-old legs. - Nick Bowen

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-01/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-15

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3173 on: July 06, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »
Jack Riewoldt: Is this the play of the season?

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-07-06/round-16-jack-snaps-a-beauty

A week after kicking three goals and taking 16 marks against Sydney in a heroic performance, fan favourite Jack Riewoldt nearly put together contenders for both goal and mark of the year in the one amazing second-quarter play. First, he planted his knees on Kyle Hartigan's shoulders to attempt a soaring grab but wasn't able to hold onto the ball as he came to ground. It didn't matter, as he went on to rove his own crumb, wheel around, and slot a ridiculous goal. It saw club CEO Brendon Gale look on in astonishment while president Peggy O'Neal enthusiastically applauded. It also prompted game great Chris Judd to tell Triple M he believed Riewoldt was in the "best form of his career", especially when it came to his marking prowess.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-06/five-talking-points-richmond-v-adelaide
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 11:47:21 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #3174 on: July 07, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
One of the clever/smartest footballers I’ve ever seen. Just reads the game so well anticipates better than most. His deft touches to advantage or bumps, blocks, chip kicks off the ground, taps or punches forward have always been part of his repertoire.
Jack had been doing all those things for years but the Griffiths, Nahas, Miller types had no idea in understanding the work he was doing to help them, so in those days he had to just do it on his own because he was working with dumb arses that had no clue.  :rollin

But let’s not forget that Jack also had to work with the dumbest player ever to put on boots, Tyron “Sideshow Bob” Vickery, the player that rewrote the book in finding new ways to ruin even the easiest of goal assists.  :banghead :rollin :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3175 on: July 23, 2018, 01:34:42 AM »
From Robbo's 'likes' column today:

THE INSPIRATION

Maddie’s Match is ensconced on the football calendar and much of it has to do with Jack and Nick Riewoldt, cousins who work tirelessly to raise money for Maddie Riewoldt’s Vision. Jack and Nick are the face of the charity and it’s a role Jack takes with great pride. The warmth of his relationship with young Elliot Vanderland this week, on AFL360 and on Channel 7 on Friday night, says plenty about Jack.

He never left Elliott’s side on Tuesday night on AFL 360 and after Friday’s game had a kick-to-kick with Elliot before carrying him from the ground. He’s a star Jack, but he made a young fella with challenges the star on the night.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-18/news-story/c788fcb900e75f77f5c0c73b3d8b13fa

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3176 on: July 23, 2018, 10:00:01 PM »
Ralphy mentioned that Jack was in discussion to extend his contract for 2 years which would keep him tied to the club until the end of 2021.
He also said Rance was extended for $800k per year
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3177 on: July 23, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
Ralphy mentioned that Jack was in discussion to extend his contract for 2 years which would keep him tied to the club until the end of 2021.
He also said Rance was extended for $800k per year

Gee Rance is unders then if the Eagles are paying McGovern $1 million per season.

I'd take Rance any day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3178 on: July 23, 2018, 11:05:25 PM »
Star Richmond key forward Jack Riewoldt has passed the 40-goal mark in a season for the ninth consecutive year, and entered an exclusive league football goalkicking club as a result.

He joins goalkicking greats in Richmond’s Jack Titus (14 in-a-row), Collingwood’s Gordon Coventry (13 in-a-row), Sydney’s Lance Franklin (12 in-a-row), Hawthorn’s Jason Dunstall (11 in-a-row), Carlton’s Stephen Kernahan (11 in-a-row), Geelong and North Melbourne’s Doug Wade (10 in-a-row) and Essendon’s Matthew Lloyd (nine in-a-row) as the only players in AFL/VFL history to top 40 goals in nine or more successive seasons.

Riewoldt also moved into 35th place on the competition’s all-time goalkicking list, past Simon Beasley and Simon Madden, with his four goals against the Saints in Round 18.

He has kicked a total of 578 goals in 242 games.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-23/jack-on-an-impressive-goal-roll

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3179 on: July 24, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
Here's the Jon Ralph article HRT posted about:

Tigers begin effort to re-sign Jack Riewoldt beyond 2019

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
July 24, 2018

RICHMOND has started contract talks with star Jack Riewoldt after locking away fellow bookend Alex Rance.

Riewoldt comes out of contract at the end of 2019 but is only 29 and at the peak of his powers.

The Herald Sun understands talks are progressing well for a deal that will lock him in past his current deal.

The Tigers are in the hunt for Gold Coast free agent Tom Lynch but do not take for granted Riewoldt’s significant role at Punt Rd.

He has kicked 578 goals from 242 AFL games and been lauded for his selfless nature in a side that often contains a single tall.

Remarkably, he has averaged 22 games over the past decade and played at least 20 games in every year since 2009.

It means Richmond will have little hesitation locking him away past his 13th season.

Tom Lynch and Riewoldt are both born on October 31, the 25-year-old Gold Coast captain four years younger than the dual Coleman Medallist.

Riewoldt said recently that Rance had sacrificed to stay at the Tigers, thrilled with the commitment of his fellow vice-captain.

“The club is very proud of him signing on. It gets to the point in your career where you get closer to 30 and you have to take a few sacrifices for the betterment of the football club,’’ he said.

“Alex has been great with that and hopefully we can have a few more (signings) in the new few weeks.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/tigers-begin-effort-to-resign-jack-riewoldt-beyond-2019/news-story/0f370dfd23281dbe028b47b12ced5f8b