Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 454492 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3285 on: August 27, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »
Absolute legend

Where’s Ox to sing his praises?

Roxus are reuniting especially to record a tribute album....... :shh
Body Heat!
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3286 on: August 29, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Genuine legend. Guaranteed Hall of Fame 100%, has basically everything a key forward can win - All Australian, Coleman, Premiership + B&F.

I don't think he'll catch KB but I'm sure he'll go over 700+ which is amazing.

I am so proud of this guy. He has really grown as an individual, and become a huge team player, and I genuinely think he's had his best ever year in 2018.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3287 on: August 29, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
Genuine legend. Guaranteed Hall of Fame 100%, has basically everything a key forward can win - All Australian, Coleman, Premiership + B&F.

I am so proud of this guy. He has really grown as an individual, and become a huge team player, and I genuinely think he's had his best ever year in 2018.
Agree 100%
He is a Richmond great and in the same breath as my favourite tiger, Richo.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3288 on: August 29, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »

Agree 100%
He is a Richmond great and in the same breath as my favourite tiger, Richo.

Well my family has had some discussion about this recently - where he stands with our great forwards. And the consensus is that he has been a better player than Richardson.

Hard for me to admit too, because Richo is my childhood hero and I cried when he retired (haha), but when you look at how the game has changed to be kicking 50-60 goals/year every year these days is quite an achievement. Also, besides a couple of brilliant years on the wing when Richo was arguably at his most dangerous, you have to admit that Riewoldt is a significantly more damaging team player and more intelligent footballer generally speaking.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3289 on: August 29, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »
Impossible to judge.
Richo played in teams that were generally crap.
He was the ONLY thing Tigers fans had to cheer about.
It got to the stage where Tigers and opposition fans were both baracking for/against Richo and disregarding the game result.
It's not a bad idea to think "what if" Richo had the midfield and running defenders delivering the ball like Jack's had in his career.

Mind you they've both been crucified by the umpires/AFL.
In the end, why bother. They've both become Tiger and Tasmanian Hall of Famers.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #3290 on: August 29, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »
Impossible to judge.
It got to the stage where Tigers and opposition fans were both baracking for/against Richo and disregarding the game result.
It's not a bad idea to think "what if" Richo had the midfield and running defenders delivering the ball like Jack's had in his career.

Royce, Roach, Richardson and Riewoldt.

Tassie has really found us great forwards all with surnames starting with R.  :lol :clapping

The club that keeps giving.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3291 on: August 30, 2018, 12:07:15 AM »
Impossible to judge.

Tassie has really found us great forwards all with surnames starting with R.  :lol :clapping
Lol. Royce is not his surname.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3292 on: August 30, 2018, 04:47:36 AM »
Impossible to judge.

Lol. Royce is not his surname.....

Just go with it.....

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3293 on: August 30, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »
Impossible to judge.

Richo would’ve kicked well over 1000 goals with a decent midfield and he’s pretty close to Lockett if he could’ve kicked straight.
I had the belief that he developed his contested marking simply out of necessity.
Richo was a one off but Jack has him covered in footy smarts and the only one comparable to Jack in this part of the game was duck carey
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3294 on: September 01, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
Is the 2018 Coleman medal the best of Riewoldt’s career?

Brayden May
theRoar.com.au
September 1, 2018

At the conclusion of the 2018 AFL home-and-away season Jack Riewoldt has three Coleman medals to his name.

His 65-goal tally saw him claim the award ahead of North Melbourne’s Ben Brown, who led the race for most of the year, and Geelong’s Tom Hawkins, who was at his damaging best at the back end of the season.

Had Riewoldt not kicked a total of 21 goals across the last four games of the season, it’s probably fair to say he wouldn’t have added to his two previous leading goal-kicker awards he claimed in 2010 (78 goals) and 2012 (65 goals).

But while the other two are equally impressive feats, the question of whether the third Coleman medal of his career is the best yet must be asked.

While in hindsight it sounds like a strange argument to make, Riewoldt’s third Coleman comes at a time where fans across the competition are perceiving the 29-year-old differently.

Several years ago, when he claimed his first medal, Riewoldt was often described as a selfish footballer, not in terms of the talent he brought to the field but in terms of the body language he often displayed when the going got tough.

But as Richmond’s game style has changed in the past two seasons we have seen a different side to Riewoldt many would not have envisaged existed.

Former Sydney and Melbourne coach Paul Roos went as far as describing Riewoldt as the “most selfless player in the competition” earlier this year.

“His transformation has been extraordinary,” Roos told Fox Footy. “He’s gone from being a guy that we didn’t question his ability but the body language, to the most selfless player in the competition.

“There is no question; he is the most selfless player in the competition.”

Riewoldt backed that call up shortly afterwards when he revealed he had taken a pay cut in his new contract. With many tipping Tom Lynch to arrive at the club in the off-season, it was the sort of move that had to be made for the Tigers to enjoy further success.

“No, I took a pay cut. I definitely took a pay cut,” he told Fox Footy.

“So I had another year on my contract, next year, so it’s basically a restructuring, really. So next year’s wiped and it’s a three-year contract.

“No, I am on less money next year than I am on this year.”

His off-field attitude has translated onto the field as well, with Riewoldt making an impact in several key areas. While he has kicked 65 goals of his own in 2018, Riewoldt has provided 19 goal assists for teammates, the third most at the Tigers.

In that category he trails only Shaun Edwards (29) and Dustin Martin (22), and with that duo spending more time in the middle of ground they are often tasked with getting the ball deep into the forward line.

During Damien Hardwick’s tenure Riewoldt has often acted as the lone tall forward, in particular during the last two seasons, and that task in itself has presented a major challenge to the cousin of St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt, which he has taken to with both hands.

Being the only tall forward could become frustrating for Riewoldt as high balls into attack could easily be dealt with by opposition defenders, but on a weekly basis we see Richmond’s number eight crash packs and create contests that allows Richmond’s mosquito fleet to flourish.

His performance in that aspect of the game can be seen by Riewoldt’s 51 one-percenters for the year – the seventh-ranked player at the Tigers, but the highest of any forward.

If Riewoldt had not changed his mannerisms on the ground, the Richmond Football Club may well have not won the premiership in 2017, let alone be dreaming of back-to-back celebrations in 2018.

Jack Riewoldt has changed the way he has represented the selflessness in the Tigers playing group, and his 2018 Coleman is simply a reward for the transformation he has undertaken.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/01/is-the-2018-coleman-medal-the-best-of-riewoldts-career/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3295 on: September 13, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »
Grand Sale, Grand Sale, Grand Sale!

@JackRiewoldt08 and Franco Cozzo on episode one of Deano's Footy Show @nova100... 😂

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1040037774466801669

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3296 on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »
Jack Riewoldt's actions on the big stage impressed cousin Nick

Caroline Wilson
The Age
14 September 2018 — 2:49pm

Jack Riewoldt’s 2017 premiership will always be remembered for what he did afterwards on the big stage and not to mention the fact he had the audacious presence of mind to set up his performance with The Killers - in the case of victory — before the grand final.

But Nick Riewoldt will always remember something else Jack did after the game on the premiership stage. Feeling more than a little sick with envy at the time — and attending his first grand final since St Kilda’s loss in the 2010 replay — the older Riewoldt noticed his cousin receive his medal and immediately look up to the sky and blow a kiss.
Jack Riewoldt had family in mind after the Tigers' 2017 grand final victory.

Jack Riewoldt had family in mind after the Tigers' 2017 grand final victory.
Photo: Eddie Jim

‘‘The fact he had the presence of mind amid everything around him and the presentation to give Maddie a little nod meant a lot,’’ recalled Nick of Jack’s acknowledgement of his late sister, who died in 2015. ‘‘I sent him a text to congratulate him of course, but also to thank him for doing that.’’

Nick still pulls Jack up from time to time but describes his past two seasons as mirroring that of his football club. ‘‘He’s had an incredible 24 months. For so long he’s felt the need to be the one and only goal-kicker and I think he carried that load for a long time.

‘‘Now he’s got that out of the way he no longer carries that load the way he’s led that young forward line. I’m so proud of him but I won’t lie, there’s envy on my side.’’

Jack Riewoldt heads into his second successive preliminary final at the MCG next Friday having acknowledged that the 2018 season has seen him play his most consistent football. He has also won his third all-Australian blazer and his third Coleman Medal and, at 29, is acknowledged as one of the game’s greats.

With Dylan Grimes, he is probably equal favourite to capture his second Jack Dyer Medal having captured the essence of striking an ominous influence on games whether or not he kicks goals — the qualifying final against Hawthorn, where he kicked none was a case in point.

Nick Riewoldt’s view is that Jack at heart has never really changed but that the secret to his ‘‘incredible 24 months’’ has been in the manner the Richmond forward has channelled his passion into leadership - a passion that was not lost on soon-to-be Tiger Tom Lynch when he met the club’s on field leaders earlier this year.

Like all of his teammates at the end of 2016, Jack came clean regarding his frailties and disappointments but he has been heartfelt publicly, too. Not least when describing a sense of embarrassment when he first caught up with Nick after becoming a premiership player.

In an interview on 3AW Riewoldt last month described their ‘‘awkward conversation’’ due to his feeling that what he had achieved should have been due his revered cousin, who came so close on two occasions.

‘‘I don’t know if awkward’s the right word,’’ recalled Nick of that meeting. ‘‘We caught up the week after the game for dinner — and Jack knows I still find watching grand finals pretty tough — and I just really wanted to know how he felt. How did it feel now for him?

‘‘I’d just built it up so much in my mind over the years what it must be like to cross over to that place and I was really interested from his point of view. He tried to explain how it felt but I could tell he was playing it down.’’

The secret to Riewoldt’s leadership over this successful era goes beyond his organisation of the small,  young forward line around him and the sacrifices he has made on and off the field but extends to his strong support of Trent Cotchin — support that was not always forthcoming in the past.

The differences between the two young men were underlined after the Tigers’ 57-point elimination final thrashing from Port Adelaide in 2014, a defeat kick-started after Cotchin won the toss and elected to kick into a strong wind.

In the Virgin Lounge at Adelaide Airport that September night four years ago Riewoldt, who had played quite well, was seated with the majority of his teammates drinking beers near the bar leading a relatively cheerful card game. Cotchin sat some distance away brooding in a corner with Bachar Houli and Ivan Maric.

A retired famous club premiership captain did not like what he saw, pointing out loudly that Cotchin should have been sitting with his teammates having a beer. What has changed at Richmond since then is that Cotchin remains the quieter, nurturing leader — albeit a relentless inside ball-winning midfielder — and Riewoldt still the more exuberant extroverted key forward.

If Cotchin dedicated his efforts in 2017 to pushing Dustin Martin towards the Brownlow, then Riewoldt and to a lesser degree his sometimes quirky co-vice-captain Alex Rance changed their leadership style to help Cotchin, who was appointed Richmond captain at 22.

In the past the more introverted and earnest Cotchin was known to lose patience with his emotional key forward and vice versa. The difference between the two was that Riewoldt’s frustration was there for all to see while Cotchin was known in the early days to go into his shell.

‘‘He’s learned to channel that passion and emotion,’’ observes cousin Nick of Riewoldt. ‘‘At the core he’s just the same person he’s always been but externally the perception has changed because he’s put all those characteristics into leadership.

‘‘Sometimes he’d do things and I’d be like 'come on Jack ... seriously?’ I’d just shake my head. Now there’s just the odd little bit of body language and if I catch one little thing I’ll pass on something. I’ll be that influence.

‘‘The difference is it’s not a pattern of behaviour any more.’’

And yet Damien Hardwick bristled recently when Riewoldt kicked 10 against the Gold Coast. perhaps concerned that he might start aiming for the Coleman or that his admiring young teammates might start focusing on him. But Riewoldt is no longer the player who could barely watch the likes of Barry Hall or Tom Hawkins in late-season games when vying for earlier Colemans.

Not everyone at St Kilda liked it when Riewoldt helped carry his cousin from the MCG after Nick’s last AFL game in round-23 last year but that gesture was embraced by the Saints players in acknowledgement of the connection between the two — a connection channelled into Maddie Riewoldt’s Vision and the game between the two clubs in her honour.

Riewoldt’s return to Richmond’s leadership group was not announced until the eve of the 2017 home-and-away season after a new leadership program had been installed at the club led by Shane McCurry after senior players — and notably Riewoldt — had clashed with his predecessor, the Leading Teams co-founder Gerard Murphy.

Overlooked controversially over previous seasons, the view was that for Richmond to succeed the infectious if at times frustrating Riewoldt had to be brought into the top echelon. It was a view driven by coach and management and ultimately embraced by his teammates with the key driver that his job was to help Cotchin become a better captain.

Volumes have been written about Cotchin’s growth as a leader over the past two seasons, an achievement underlined by the fact he did not make the top five club captains in the eyes of the MVP voting last year and this year — while not all-Australian like his two vice-captains — but was named the best captain in the AFL by peers across all clubs.

All three players extended their contracts to finish their careers at Richmond and to clear the decks for Lynch, the departing 2018 Gold Coast co-captain. Riewoldt confirmed in his regular role on Fox Footy in July that he approached the club to lengthen his deal take a pay cut in 2019 after a conversation with Rance at the Brighton Sea Baths.

Riewoldt, now signed until the end of 2021, said: ‘‘I feel like I’m doing my part and I feel like all of our players are doing their part to keep this group together.’’ He did not mention Lynch directly but added he had asked list manager Blair Hartley ‘‘what I can do to shore up the finances for the club to know where we’re at going forward as well because we want to keep progressing.’’

Nick Riewoldt, acknowledging Jack tried to soften the blow over the aforementioned dinner when describing the feeling of becoming a premiership player, said it was far more awkward arriving at his cousin’s Tasmanian wedding last November.

‘‘I’d built up so much that dread of being with all the Richmond boys and their celebrating,’’ he admitted. ‘‘That’s sort of your worst nightmare. But the first person I saw when I walked in was Brett Deledio and I figured he had more reason to be struggling than me.

‘‘Actually it was a great night — Rance, Astbury, Dusty and Cotchin they’re all terrific people. At 3am Rancey and I were on the phone to Blair Hartley trying to convince him to recruit me to the Tigers.’’

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jack-riewoldt-s-actions-on-the-big-stage-impressed-cousin-nick-20180914-p503t1.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3297 on: September 19, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
From Foxsports
19 Sep 2018

St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt has been taken aback after Cousin Jack Riewoldt revealed ‘Roo’ is his hero.

In an interview to be shown on Friday night — before Richmond’s massive clash with Collingwood, Jack Riewoldt explained that last year the Richmond players were asked to stand in front of their teammates and reveal their heroes — with Jack announcing Nick was his hero.

“In this room last year, we went through a process of what we would say our hardest moment of our life is, the highlight of the moment and the hero,” Riewoldt told Bob Murphy.

“I stood up in front of all my teammates and it was pretty awkward, because I suppose I spoke about Nick being my hero, and I’d actually never told him about this.

“I sat in the front row and watch an older brother talk about his sister that passed away in a way that I could never imagine and I thought I am the luckiest bloke in the world that I have literally got my hero just in reach, in life — just there.”

The St Kilda legend was nearly bought to tears, explaining that it made him feel “pretty special”.

“I haven’t seen that. It’s pretty special,” Riewoldt revealed on AFL 360.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-360-saints-champion-nick-riewoldt-nearly-brought-to-tears-after-cousin-jack-reveals-he-is-his-hero/news-story/490488bc68310eb6022a359f0f5f26dc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3298 on: September 22, 2018, 03:06:03 AM »

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3299 on: September 22, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »
Was huge last night :clapping