Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 239639 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Alex Rance [merged]
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
sheesh give it a rest folks

Great idea  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy

gerkin greg

« Reply #692 on: October 10, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
Tross plays well on Jono Brown & Buddy so to say he can't beat the best forwards in the game is just not right Coach. Usually I let you have your say but not this time.

Struggles against Pav & Petrie, and the goat

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #693 on: October 10, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Tross plays well on Jono Brown & Buddy so to say he can't beat the best forwards in the game is just not right Coach. Usually I let you have your say but not this time.

Struggles against Pav & Petrie, and the goat

Brown still plays in the AFL? The goat :cheers Usually I'll talk him up but not this time

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #694 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Rance plays at another level when Grimes is there. If Grimes had to play without Rance, he may struggle a little as well. Both extremely important to the other, need them both on field for us. Add Chaplin to them and if we don't have any injuries between the 3 . . . well watch out  :shh

Nah I don't think so. Grimesy is a very good defender one on one. Just a very good player overall, IMO. For a kid that's had the injuries he's had (and is still young) he's been bloody good. Chaplin will be a reasonable upgrade on Posty

I have to agree, but thats mainly because Rance doesn't have to try and cover peoples men and be one of the main rebounders because Grimes is good one on one and his smart enough and good enough to know when to give Rance or someone a chop out, plus take rebounding pressure off Rance

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #695 on: October 10, 2012, 02:05:52 PM »
For the record, I am not saying Rance is better than Grimes, simply that with Grimes there, Rance improves. Same way I think that Grimes would not play as well as he does if Rance was out of the side, as he then has heaps more to worry about. The work load is spread when they are both there, as opposed to heaped on the one player.

Grimes is a freak, out and out future star if he gets those hamstrings in order.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #696 on: October 11, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
For the record, I am not saying Rance is better than Grimes, simply that with Grimes there, Rance improves. Same way I think that Grimes would not play as well as he does if Rance was out of the side, as he then has heaps more to worry about. The work load is spread when they are both there, as opposed to heaped on the one player.

No doubt Rance's form dropped away in tandem with Grimes going out of the side and Post playing back in defence.
Little wonder he wanted Chaplin.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #697 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

No doubt Rance's form dropped away in tandem with Grimes going out of the side and Post playing back in defence.
Little wonder he wanted Chaplin.
I'm hoping we can start talking about our wonderful club "post post" very soon.  :pray

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #698 on: December 13, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
Rance showing off his Richmond guernsey collection ...

http://instagram.com/p/TJuPoLFgK-/

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #699 on: December 26, 2012, 01:03:14 PM »
Watched the replay of the round 17 lose to the Kangas last night and remember some comments from after that game from a regular poster on here about Rance that night. Now everybody has an opinion, but some opinions are simply just wrong.....and dumb!

Up until the start of the last quarter, Tim Watson and Bruce on the commentary were saying that Rance was BOG or very close and in All Australian contention. In the last, Petrie kicked  3 goals on him but 5 for the quarter, which isn't great but cannot be blamed on Rance alone. McGuane didn't help!

The first one was on a lead that knowbody who has every played the game before could have stopped.
The second Rance was out marked. And for those that have played the game before at a decent level would know, it happens sometime. You are playing on some very good players, and Petrie is definitely one of them.
And the third was a marking contest that Rance slipped at the last minute and Petrie took the grab and kicked his third for the quarter.

But to say Rance cannot play on the big forwards or that Alex lowered his colours that night is dumb and just not right.
Rance had an awesome year and is becoming one of the best backman in the comp.
He is a great stopper, can play on smalls and talls and gives us good rebound out of our backhalf but most importantly he is not afraid to take the game on, be it with his kicking (the ball forward) or with his run out of the backline.

Now mistakes will be made and when you take ricks as Alex and others do, not everything will be roses but for me I'm happy with that if players like Rance take the game on.
Even Cotch in the last few minutes of that game kicked the ball straight to a Kangas players 30 metres from goal that cost us the game.

IMO Alex Rance is in the 5 most valuable players in our side.

Gigantor

« Reply #700 on: December 26, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
Couldnt agree more big tone.I think Rance is a dead set gun,with an absolutely huge up side.With a bit of luck of keeping Grimesy on the park and with the introduction of the south australian boy to our backline,we just might see Alex crank it up a few more notches.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #701 on: December 26, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
His kicking is a bit how you going
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Gigantor

« Reply #702 on: December 26, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
agree Mrakov ..his kicking is his one downside.This is the one area that if alex can improve  will take him to the elite level.
and I'm not talking a massive transformation here just being able to pick out teamates up the field

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #703 on: December 26, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
His kicking has improved 100%. IMO people get something in their heads from early on and that's it forever on players. Alex kicking was very good this year.
Like i said in the post, these guys are going to make mistakes when they take the game on. Other players take the easy option coming out of the backline (Post, MaGuane, Moore) and either go sideways or even worse backwards. For me the most exciting thing about Rance and even Grimmes is that they are not afraid to make a mistake, but what they do give is the players up field a much better chance when they move the ball quickly. And this is how we are going to improve as a side.

Next year, take a look and let me know what you think

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #704 on: December 26, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
His kicking has improved 100%. IMO people get something in their heads from early on and that's it forever on players. Alex kicking was very good this year.
Like i said in the post, these guys are going to make mistakes when they take the game on. Other players take the easy option coming out of the backline (Post, MaGuane, Moore) and either go sideways or even worse backwards. For me the most exciting thing about Rance and even Grimmes is that they are not afraid to make a mistake, but what they do give is the players up field a much better chance when they move the ball quickly. And this is how we are going to improve as a side.

Next year, take a look and let me know what you think

Still turned it over a fair bit
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH