Author Topic: Terry Wallace: Tiger forever (AFL)  (Read 11379 times)

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Terry Wallace: Tiger forever (AFL)
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »
i have been waiting for years to hear plough speak about the tigers with passion. he used to coach the bulldogs with passion and pride. i haven't always agreed  with plough but am willing to give him his 5 years. if spud could get 5, no reason why plough cannot be allowed to fulfill his contract.

i would not be at all surprised if plough get a 2 or 3 yr extension as soon as this contract expires. its in his hands, if he keeps picking the right team week in week out i think we can win many many games this yr and more next yr. our list id definitely getting better, lets hope plough sticks to his guns

we just dont wanna see performances that resemble the nab cup, and really wanna see the boys play for the jumper and coach. if we achieve that we will achieve success

Ramps

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:03 PM »
I feel that 2008 shouldnt just be about winning and losing. Its about seeing which players are getting games, is he picking the right players, will young guys like Cotchin and Rance get some games and much needed experience, will he continue to play young players like Edwards and Conners. Can he finally get Tambling to lift, can he set up Deledio to become a 25 to 30 possession a game player predominantly in the midfield. If he does those things then we could say hes on the right track. Can he keep our losses to be "honorable losses" without major blowouts.

Also whoever coaches Richmond going forward should understand that with 2 new clubs coming into the comp, early picks are going to be like hens teeth. Does Wallace have the balls to trade a 30 year old star like Brown or a 26 year old half back like Chris Newman and get really crank up our drafting efforts in November 2008. Does he have to wherewithall to delist blokes who arent going to make it or have been mid rangers for a long time. Its a complicated question, and its not just about wins or losses.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »
I, for one, believe TW deserves to be retained as coach for the length of his contract regardless of how we preform on the field this year. I believe he deserves to see out his plan and I believe it would folly to dismiss him part way through the process that the club has unified behind.

Agree with Ramps that 2008 isn’t about winning.  Haven’t really cared about wins or losses for the past couple of seasons.  For me it’s about improvement in players and the team.  If we can see that then I have no issue with who the coach is.

I’m not one to take pot shots just because it’s easy to do, but if there’s little or no improvement after four seasons then why persist with someone for longer than is necessary, especially with an experienced coach?  All we’d be doing is holding the Club back for no good reason.

The added resources will help TW, but in the long term, does he have what it takes to take the players to the level required?  Guess we’ll wait and see how this season unfolds and take it from there.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Little Jackie

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
Put this topic in a time capsule and open it after say round 12 ;)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
I wanna see some improvement this year, then I will judge on what we acheive in year 5.
Like what I see in the team and the kids that will mature into a good football side.
Wins are not the be all and end all this year (sort of), it is the attitude and application of the side during games that I will be watching more so than the bottom line ..
Like to see us start to step it up in the interstae games

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

This is the make or break season for Wallace. The board will decide in the second half of the year whether Wallace has what it takes to make us contenders.

When a 5 year contract is to be renegotiated, performance in the 4th year is the focus of the negotiation. Whether Wallace should stay or go is one issue to debate. Whether he should continue to be the highest paid coach in the AFL is something I doubt anyone on the board agrees with.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »
Whether he should continue to be the highest paid coach in the AFL is something I doubt anyone on the board agrees with.

Hmm....

I don't think he is the highest paid coach in the AFL
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »
For me, this year should be about establishing a stable structure and in particular a solid spine. The win/loss ratio is meaningless this year IMHO and finals is far from the realistic 2008 benchmark. While we still remain relatively injury free and finaly have some much needed depth and competition for places as a result, I would much rather prefer TW test out players in roles/positions in the first half of the year and then try and play a consistent line up for the remainder of the year.

One of the complaints that was leveled at our team last year was out lack of support for each other and unselfish play. I believe a big reason for this was that many young players were looking to claim a position in the team and thus were looking to get the ball in their hands as much as possible rather than laying the shepperd or doing the team thing. Also our players were, and still are in many instances, unfamiliar with how each other plays and how to best work together. The best way to create a team and have them play FOR each other is to have consistancy but first you have to find the best 22 players!

I struggle with the idea that TW should even feel pressure this year that he may lose his position as head coach this year. Regardless of what you think of him personally, we desperately need consistency and we deperately need to keep focused on the plan.

Right or wrong we need to see our rebuilding through and sacking TW this year even if we have another year like last, would only do us harm. If you bring in another coach now they will have to suffer through this time in our development just the same as TW is right now.

Let TW take the hits and let TW suffer through this tough time while the young players are allowed the space to develop because he has the media skills to hold back the tide.

If TW is willing to do the hard yards now and attempt to rebuild the list while knowingly laying his reputation on the line then I think it is only right to let TW see out his contract to see if in 2009 he has built a strong list. Even if you believe TW should go, terminating our coaches contract early will only help support the stereotype that we eat our own and only be detrimental to our chances of securing an excellent replacement. So regardless TW needs to see out his contract for the club, him and us.

But....If we can not make the finals in 2009 then I agree with Jackstar, it will be time for TW to go and for us to find a new coach.

I hope TW can justify my loyalty.

Stripes

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
Very well said Stripes  :thumbsup

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
Whether he should continue to be the highest paid coach in the AFL is something I doubt anyone on the board agrees with.

Hmm....

He makes a lot more than Choco, and Williams is the first name on the list to takeover. 

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 01:02:12 AM »

Right or wrong we need to see our rebuilding through and sacking TW this year even if we have another year like last, would only do us harm. If you bring in another coach now they will have to suffer through this time in our development just the same as TW is right now.

See I just don't swallow that at all.
I don't know about you but I want to see a coach who is taking the team forward and rhetoric aside it's obvious that we went backwards last season. The results proved it. At the end of the day results are all I am interested in.

We painstakingly stuck with Danny Frawley for five years to avoid the 'eating our own' stigma and it landed us Wallace. if he is showing little more than Frawley why should he get that same guarantee? We may as well have kept Danny for 10 years. 4 years without a finals birth is just that, no matter how you slice it. Frawley at least took us to a prelim.

Stuff the stigma. Wallace has to get the runs on the board this season to keep the job in the fifth year as far as I am concerned. If he cannot start ecking out wins then someone else can have a crack at getting the most out of the talented list of kids we are largely accruing by default and Terry can go back to talking in the media.

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »

Hmm....

He makes a lot more than Choco, and Williams is the first name on the list to takeover. 

Williams has done a brilliant job at Port but somehow Im not sure our supporters would go for it

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »
Put this topic in a time capsule and open it after say round 12 ;)

what if by rnd 12 we are flying and cemented in the top 8 at that stage

then what will u say when the time capsule comes out?

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »

Hmm....

not sure how u know what coaches earn, but maybe terry has alot more to do, and more work to fulfill than choco

choco does not really need to "sell" and market his team in a 2 team city, whereas Terry has do this.

im sure terry has alot more in his job description than choco, and why is it we always pull in bigger crowds than port and have achieved record memberships under terry

no one knows what coaches are paid and exactly how many hrs they put in each week

Ox

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 07:50:21 AM »
The grass is green.