Author Topic: Terry Wallace: Tiger forever (AFL)  (Read 11477 times)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Terry Wallace: Tiger forever (AFL)
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »
Put this topic in a time capsule and open it after say round 12 ;)

what if by rnd 12 we are flying and cemented in the top 8 at that stage

then what will u say when the time capsule comes out?

can assure you , we wont be flying

well as a richmond hater it would only be natural that you hope we are :wallywink

Little Jackie

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
Blaisee, must be Kerryn Wallace ::)

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
Blaisee, must be Kerryn Wallace ::)

Jackstar must be...

Who am I kidding IDGAF who Jackstar is.

:cheers

Little Jackie

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Some really good posts in this thread.

Can I throw up a scenario.

Say you're running a business and it's losing $2 million dollars a year.  What do you do ?  Sack everyone and lose all your existing customers, or make sure you keep your exisiting customers and try and change your business model little by little so that you can continue to make money and trade yourself out of trouble.

This 3 later look back at TW only looks at the list and rarely if ever takes into account all the events at the time of 2004/05.  We had just lost $2 million.  We were nearly $5 mill in debt.  Our business plan had to be approved by the AFL.  I've always viewed year one and two of TW's tenure of being slightly (maybe a lot) hamstrung by that financial legacy and the board, CEO and TW knowing taht tehy needed to get the club fiscally secure.  In 2005 we couldn't have done the bigger clean out for a number of reasons.  We needed to play well to get the club profitable (break even in the end).  Had we won the wooden spoon again in 2005 with the financial loss that would have gone with that at that time, then we would be the financial basket case club that the Dees, North etc are.  I believe that the  board and SW decided that we needed some interim success and get some financial stability.  This in my mind has curtailed TW's long term aim.

Some of you guys call it spin.  i just see TW selling the club.  By helping with that, TW helsp get a profitable club that can finally get him the support staff he knows he needs.  Finally at the start of year four our footy dept spend is getting close to competitive to the rest of the AFL.  He's got development coaches (I rate McRae) he's got a list manager and recruiting head and recruiters.  He/we didn't have those in 2004/05.  On the recruiting front it was just Miller and FJ for the last few weeks of 2005 on pretty much a handshake.

I've never heard TW complain or whinge about this.  Yet all of the above has definitely hindered his ability to execute to a preferred (more drastic) plan.

Given a profitable club, with the ability to invest in the areas that board and TW agree are needed, I believe that TW deserves to be judged on 2008 and 2009 alone.  If, in these two years, we show improvement in playing style, commitment and results I would extend TW's contract.

When we review history I feel you must review all the elements in their context.  Just my opinion.

Can tell you the number of staff in the footy dept hasnt changed since 2004/2005
they actually havent replaced Jade Rawlings who's major role is at coburg this year  and after several attempts to get back Mick Mcgaune at the start of the year, which wasnt successful as Mick knocked them back
In regards to $$$$$. terry is extremely well paid to other coaches considering has hasnt really had a sucessfull coaching career and ended up leaving the bulldogs on bitter terms.
We have unfortunately paid over the odds for Wallet. the reported $600,000 a season plus other money he makes through sportman nights and other appearances makes him extremely overpaid for someone who has yet to deliver. if we continue to unsuccessful this year and dont play finals, we have basically spent $2.4million on a coach taking us no where.  Terry to me isnt an inspiring person who I dont beleive cant make a group of players determined enough to ""run through walls""  I look at coaches like Brian Goorgjann who coached the Sydney kings this year in basketball, he is a genius as a coach, someone who can inspire sportspeople to perform at there best.
Whats of real interest in coaching at the elite level is the "'spike effect"" when a coach TAKES OVER MID YEAR and gets immediate impact and won games ( who could forget the year the Geisch took over-we finshed 1 game out of the finals) Why ? A different voice perhaps ?  Different game plan ? Yep Geisch had that.  Or do the players really fear that there career $$$ is really on the line as someone else has lost there job-the coach. Unfortuantely I dont beleive the players at our club play like every game is there last game. its no secret that i was involved for a number of years and on face value I was really surprised at the level of overall commitment that players showed to the club and the jumper.
Guys like Tim flemming did play like it was the last game and he was shown the door through lack of ability.. Its up to the coach to instill a  lot of mongrel in a team of sportsman who will run through"' brick walls"" . If you look at the brisbane and West Coast models over the past decade, they do have a common theme through the entire football clubs, the coaches coached like it was there last game and on face value were tough taskmasters.  The last time as a club we were successful was in a period where we as a club dedictated what happen on the ground due to the fact the club as a whole was mentality tough, instigated from the Coach with the support of senior people at the club.
if you look at Brisbane winning 3 flags in a row and playing in 4 finals, Leigh had quality hard people by his side..  They spend one or two years out of the finals and guess what, they are on there way back to playing finals , possisbly in 2008.  they have some quality young players who are hard at it who LEIGH has recuited accordingly.

Would think the first 12 rounds will be make or break for wallet this year. I dont beleive he has the necessary structure around him thus I believe he is more likely to be unsucessful than successful.  Reading between the lines in his recent interview that in todays paper, I reckon he might be getting a bit sick of coaching, thus if not successful he wouldnt coach anywhere else as reality is, he wouldnt get another position in the AFL.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
Loopy Crackers Keenan reckons in I.F. he's heard Wallace is on $800k a year (he also says he doesn't believe it) and that last week the "rumour mill" was saying a wealthy individual at Richmond would foot the bill to pay him out if he didn't do better this year. By winning Plough's kept the wolves from the door and a few more wins will have everyone smiling at Tigerland.
Why doesn't this so and so just donate the money towards facilities for the club if he wants to see improvement  ::)
Agreed, Moi
Sick of the coach bashing that has been going on, and has happened even when we have good seasons. Sick of hearing about wealthy business men not keen to put a name to it and offering to pay out a coaches contract. We`ve had some of the best coaches(walls, jeans, northey) and been unable to produce anything. Terry is the man we have to stick with, there is no one else better and there is plenty worse. And , yes, i don`t believe sheedy is better, he`s time is past

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
I agree Go Richo 12. We achieve nothing by sticking the knives into our own. Even if you don'e support TW as a coach you must support what he is trying to do. Wins are meaningless if they don't pave the way to ultimate success. I don't want a flash in the pan season. I want prolonged success and I want more than one shot at the flag. If this means some pain while we build a strong list then so be it but I'm tired of continually chopping and changing plans and coaches.

We need to allow TW to see out his plan and take the pressure off so he can play the kids and not make the same mistakes that our other coaches have been forced into making by attempting to save their hides by trading draft picks and playing average older players rather than grooming potential talent.

I just see some of us can not learn from the past and can not look beyond the moment. The time for 'eating our own' is over, we need to start to become loyal and unify as a strong club if we are ever to become successful again.

I don't know about you but if TW can help build a list that will allow me to finally be arrogant and unashamably proud of the yellow and black again, I don't care who is is or what he has done... I will support him unconditionally.

Stripes

Moi

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2008, 12:06:31 AM »
Loopy Crackers Keenan reckons in I.F. he's heard Wallace is on $800k a year (he also says he doesn't believe it) and that last week the "rumour mill" was saying a wealthy individual at Richmond would foot the bill to pay him out if he didn't do better this year. By winning Plough's kept the wolves from the door and a few more wins will have everyone smiling at Tigerland.
Why doesn't this so and so just donate the money towards facilities for the club if he wants to see improvement  ::)
Agreed, Moi
Sick of the coach bashing that has been going on, and has happened even when we have good seasons. Sick of hearing about wealthy business men not keen to put a name to it and offering to pay out a coaches contract. We`ve had some of the best coaches(walls, jeans, northey) and been unable to produce anything. Terry is the man we have to stick with, there is no one else better and there is plenty worse. And , yes, i don`t believe sheedy is better, he`s time is past
Wealthy people don't offer to pay out a coach's contract and expect nothing in return.
You gotta wonder what else could they want.
I don't like the idea of being indebted to any individual.
The club is made up of many people, not just the elite like Jack's mates in the President's Club  ::)
If they want to help the club, put money into new facilities, new development personnel etc etc etc etc etc.
This is the only thing that will help the club, not sniping and stabbing people in the back every minute of every day.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2008, 12:18:40 AM »
so many good posts on this topic, and many that are valid in their explanations if only we all knew the real goings on at the RFC on why certain decisions are/have been made.

reading between the lines just doesnt cut it.

its important that "best practices " are put in place for whom ever takes on job to lift this mighty club out of the mire it has been in since 82.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »
Lots of good posts  :clapping

Probably because this "wealthy individual" sounds like a figment of someone's imagination. How many times have we heard of some mysterious wealthy Richmond person bailing out the club over the years and yet nothing happens  :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
Whether he should continue to be the highest paid coach in the AFL is something I doubt anyone on the board agrees with.

Hmm....

I don't think he is the highest paid coach in the AFL

He makes a lot more than Choco, and Williams is the first name on the list to takeover. 

Williams has done a brilliant job at Port but somehow Im not sure our supporters would go for it
I've heard this Williams rumour before too and if anyone at Richmond believes Mark Williams will voluntarily quit Port to coach us then they are seriously deluded. Why would he leave a club he would die for and that his legendary dad Fos coached to 5 straight SANFL flags. The Williams family is Port Adelaide. The idea is laughable. 

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2008, 08:40:31 AM »
I don't think the claim that Wallace didn't start the youth policy until last year is correct. He started it from day 1 and tried to also add a bit of balance by way of filling a couple of holes to try to make what was a rabble competitive.
I'm not a stats person but I'd be surprised if they didn't support that he has leant towards youth from the start.

I want Richmond to build to playing regular finals again. I also want see them now with the best side playing each week. At the moment, that's players like Hyde over Edwards. Hopefully that will soon change because it should mean we are improving but until it does I want to go to watch the likes of Hyde give us the best chance of winning now. I don't see the point in bothering to go watch if the best presently available side is not being played. (Tanking, anyone?)

I'm excited about the young talent coming through. We have an affiliation with Coburg where they can develop. That's where I want to see them play until such time as they force their way into the Richmond side. They will develop and build experience once earning a spot in the Richmond side but they shouldn't get that spot over a more experienced player until they are at least that player's equal.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
I don't think the claim that Wallace didn't start the youth policy until last year is correct. He started it from day 1 and tried to also add a bit of balance by way of filling a couple of holes to try to make what was a rabble competitive.
I'm not a stats person but I'd be surprised if they didn't support that he has leant towards youth from the start.

I want Richmond to build to playing regular finals again. I also want see them now with the best side playing each week. At the moment, that's players like Hyde over Edwards. Hopefully that will soon change because it should mean we are improving but until it does I want to go to watch the likes of Hyde give us the best chance of winning now. I don't see the point in bothering to go watch if the best presently available side is not being played. (Tanking, anyone?)

I'm excited about the young talent coming through. We have an affiliation with Coburg where they can develop. That's where I want to see them play until such time as they force their way into the Richmond side. They will develop and build experience once earning a spot in the Richmond side but they shouldn't get that spot over a more experienced player until they are at least that player's equal.

Great post Fishfinger! I completely agree with everything you said. If we can develop depth and competition for places then we will then start to see some on field success and start to develop our youth without giving them too much unnecessary responibility too early in their careers. Worked for Geelong and we all know that TW has modelled our redevelopment on them. Without so many injuries TW may actual have an opportunity to allow the up and comers time in the reserves to develop.

Stripes

Little Jackie

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »

Probably because this "wealthy individual" sounds like a figment of someone's imagination. How many times have we heard of some mysterious wealthy Richmond person bailing out the club over the years and yet nothing happens  :sleep.

Can tell you it is NOT a figment of someone,s imagination.
Why dont you going and ask Steve Wright next time you see him and ask him if he was approached by a ""group"" over pre-season :shh

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »
oh well if terry gets sacked jade nay be the next boom young coach, seems pretty good to me at this stage

very impressed with his coaching thus far

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »
Yep X. You can see at quarter time why Coburg were impressed with him.

Can tell you it is NOT a figment of someone,s imagination.
Why dont you going and ask Steve Wright next time you see him and ask him if he was approached by a ""group"" over pre-season :shh
A group isn't an individual  ;). In any case do they have some magical potion to add 4-5 years of experience onto our cubs in an instant. The good ol' backroom boys thinking they are gods yet having no idea as usual  :sleep.