Author Topic: Brett Deledio [merged]  (Read 196461 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brett Deledio [merged]
« Reply #930 on: March 27, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »
Not normally a fan of 5 year deals based on past history and the risk of one serious injury but clearly the longer deal meant we got Lids for $600p.a. which will probably be front-loaded so he won't be taking up much salary cap space in 3-5 years time when we should be challenging if all goes to plan. Well done RFC and Lids  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #931 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:59 AM »
All our big name players are tucked away from restricted and unrestricted free agency now.
Axel out of contract at end of this year I think.

Offline Gargoyle

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #932 on: March 27, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
Great news. I never doubted Lids for a minute, even if his father played a game or two at carltank and some posters here saying he might be off to carlton.
Good luck Lids, and hope Richmond goes only up from here on in.
'A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction.'
Oscar Wilde

dwaino

« Reply #933 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:27 AM »
All our big name players are tucked away from restricted and unrestricted free agency now.

Yeah he is. But pretty safe with this one  :thumbsup Considered a required player by the club and probably too far under the radar to warrant any large offers. Can't see him wanting to leave anyway  ;D

Now to resign McGuane and Moore  :banghead :banghead :banghead

:laugh:

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #934 on: March 27, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »

Yeah he is. But pretty safe with this one  :thumbsup Considered a required player by the club and probably too far under the radar to warrant any large offers. Can't see him wanting to leave anyway  ;D
Let's hope so. We've stuck by him whike he's got over his ankle/achilles injury and like Lids I would be surprised Axel left a club now on the cusp to go elsewhere and go through the whole rebuilding process again at the bottom of the ladder.

Now to resign McGuane and Moore  :banghead :banghead :banghead

:laugh:
;D

The Club has always said it was confident of holding onto all our required young guns from the clutches of GC and GWS. Reading that another way we don't seem to really care if a fringe player with deficiencies heads to one of the expansion clubs.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #935 on: March 27, 2012, 03:42:18 AM »
Brett Deledio's done deal with Tigers

Jon Ralph
    March 27, 2012

RICHMOND has re-signed star midfielder Brett Deledio on a five-season deal, and will now turn its sights on the rest of the club's big four.

Deledio, 24, agreed to the contract yesterday afternoon, keen to erase any distraction about his playing future before Thursday night's clash against Carlton.

Richmond will switch its attention to vice-captain Trent Cotchin, star full-forward Jack Riewoldt and third-year dynamo Dustin Martin.

All three come out of contract at the end of next season, but Richmond hopes to secure them well before then.

Tigers president Gary March was confident of keeping the playing list together.

"We are pretty thrilled. This effectively makes Brett a Tiger for life. By the end of his contract he will have been here for 13 years and will be 30," he said yesterday.

"I think it's a pretty massive vote of confidence in the direction the club is heading.

"Cotch, Dustin and Jack are all out at the end of 2013. We will be talking to them now.

"There is a really strong resolve with this group to stick together.

"We will start turning our attention to them, even though they still have two years to run," March said.

"I think there is an incredibly strong resolve to stick together. They are a very close-knit group and we have done a good job in managing when they come out and we are in pretty good shape to keep all of our key players."

Deledio's deal, which runs until the end of 2017, is believed to be upwards of $3 million, given his value to the club.

March lauded his maturity and leadership after arriving at the club as a No.1 draft pick more intent on his own development.

"I have seen a real change, and that's the commitment he has got to the group and the club," March said.

"With that added respect and the chance to go back into the midfield, you are going to see a very special player for us.

"He is very close to Wayne Campbell and 'Cambo' played 297 games but didn't get much success.

"We would love Brett to play 300 games for Richmond, but we would love him to be a premiership player, too."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/brett-deledios-done-deal-with-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1226310760203

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #936 on: March 27, 2012, 03:59:37 AM »
Richmond Tigers make Brett Deledio a one-club man

by: Greg Denham and Courtney Walsh
    March 27, 2012

BRETT Deledio is effectively a Tiger for life after yesterday signing a five-year deal that will keep him at Richmond until the end of 2017.

A week after extending coach Damien Hardwick's contract for another two years, Richmond's move on the former No 1 draft pick will keep him at Punt Road until he is 30, a time when he would be entering his 14th season.

Richmond football manager Craig Cameron said Deledio and his manager, Anthony McConville, had initiated discussions about the contract's length, with the Tigers satisfied after subjecting the star to a thorough medical.

Deledio's signing continues a reversal in attitude towards signing lengthy deals, with Michael Hurley inking a similar contract at Essendon only a week ago. Sydney's Sam Reid also signed a similar deal last December.

Hurley's was the first of that length signed at Essendon in more than a decade.

Former ruckman Troy Simmonds was the last player to sign a similar contract at Punt Road when lured from Fremantle in 2004.

Such lengthy contracts were viewed as too risky during the early part of this century because of the potential for either serious injury or a drop in form.

Since the introduction of free agency, list managers are more willing to take a risk on their stars - particularly given the poaching threat posed by Greater Western Sydney - though all three clubs will argue that the gamble is minimal given the players involved.

Essendon, for example, last week nominated Hurley's durability and ability to both play and perform with distinction in the second half of last year despite a foot injury as a positive when opting for the long-term deal.

Richmond, too, can point to Deledio's consistency and durability.

In his past four seasons, the 24-year-old has twice been named the Tigers' best and fairest and has placed in the same award for the past two years.

Deledio, who has been named in a 40-man All Australian squad three times, also became the youngest Tiger to earn life membership when playing his 150th match last season.

His signing follows that of another former first-round draft pick, Tyrone Vickery, who last week agreed to a two-year deal.

Fellow Richmond stars Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt are also contracted until at least the end of next season.

Those players loom as key figures in Richmond's season-opening game against Carlton at Etihad Stadium on Thursday night.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-make-brett-deledio-a-one-club-man/story-fnca0u4y-1226310693983

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #937 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:43 AM »
Great news, called it, Monday or Tuesday...... ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #938 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:20 AM »
Great news. Congrats to both club and Brett. Takes speculation away and allows Brett to concentrate on his football

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #939 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »
Absolutely brilliant!

What I like most is that the Administration are moulding this club we love into one of the most desirable for players to play for!  A far cry from the club we've known for the last 30 years.  Stable on field, stable off field.

Now for Thursday night!

Go tiges!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #940 on: March 27, 2012, 08:54:33 AM »
This is awesome news!! Lets have the favorite player game again! I know would would win right at this moment.  :thumbsup :clapping :gotigers

Whats really funny now is that Lids is on the same money as Folau.  :lol  I went to the game on Saturday night and the best phrase I can think of regarding Folau's current ability is "Lost at Sea" whereas Lids is an out and out Champion and a Tiger for life!! How they are on the same money is baffling.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #941 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
Did you pop your head in to Turtle Headquarters again?

Yeah mate, went round to his old mans joint the other night. bit of fun. Talked with Gus via skype. Deledio is a tiger for life

Should have listened to me, WP and the Grahams.

Love you, Brett. Play 300 for us, grab a few more Jack Dyer's and a premiership or three. stuff yeah! :cheers

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #942 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
Best thing is this take free agencyt right out of the question.

Lid's is top shelf and uber consistent so can handle 5 years.

Injury the only risk here.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #943 on: March 27, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
Absolutely brilliant!

What I like most is that the Administration are moulding this club we love into one of the most desirable for players to play for!  A far cry from the club we've known for the last 30 years.  Stable on field, stable off field.

Now for Thursday night!

Go tiges!

My feelings exactly. The whole place (even this website) has a different feeling about it. Makes me nervous as I have seen false dawns before but never like this when everybody seems to be going in one direction. Im liking it.   :gotigers
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #944 on: March 27, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »
Have just re-read this thread in its entirety - yep all 21 pages

In light of last night's announcement I've got to say when you re-read it there is some really funny stuff  ;D  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)