Author Topic: Trouble is brewing  (Read 57736 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Trouble is brewing
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2004, 03:58:28 PM »
I hear what your saying Spirit, but IMO a footy club succeeds or fails depending on the people in the footy department.  This is the most crucial foundation that needs to be set and IMO we are well on the way in this department.  The board from now on merely needs to not interfere with Wallace's business, administer the selling of memberships, get a few sponsors and count the beans.  If Wallace is successful then all these other factors become so much easier to achieve.

The previous/current board failed because they employed the wrong people in the footy dept and sat on their hands for too long when the hard decisions were required to be made regarding getting rid of those imposters that sat in the coaches box.  This is where they failed.  Not because they couldn't attact enough members or sponsors, but because they let the bufoons posing as coaches completely ruin the club. 

A boards success is measured by the people they employ in the football department.  Every other decision is immaterial in the scheme of things.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2004, 04:53:41 PM »
I am basically totally undecided on this whole issue at the moment.

During the past couple of years I have been the biggest critic of this club.  From the players to the coach to the board members.  I was frustrated each week by seeing useless players being named each week, pathetic coaching moves being made and unconditional support being given from the president, football director and board members to the coach.  This made my blood boil and after 2-3 years of this I had enough.  Along with the 2-3M dollar losses, I wanted change at every level.

Now I sit back and see the massive positive changes taking place at the club.  Changes that I hve been crying out for for so long.  I have confidence that with Miller and Wallace in charge, we will be much more competitive.  It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when we play in regular finals. 

So at the end of the day it's all about the on-field football stuff.  It's all about how successful you are on the park.  You can have the best financial and marketing policies, but if you are crap on the field you will find yourself in the situation we are in.  Would have made NO difference who was on the board and who was president during the past 5 years.

In saying all this however, whoever gets elected will not have a major impact in our revival, as the fundumental foundations have already been set.  The right coaching panel have been employed, the right football director is in place, the right CEO has been appointed and the right quality kids will be drafted.  Therefore whoever gets elected now will automatically become more successful than the previous lot and will reap the rewards of the seeds that have already been planted.

Irrelevant election IMO and no better time for a donkey vote.

I'm with you Harry. I wanted the place turned upside down, but am prepared to see whether the recent changes will work.

Except the part about Greg Miller. A good PR man, good PR for himself that is, but a wooden spoon is what he's contributed to the club, and he's been there long enough to avoid it. How good would North Melb have been without Dennis Pagan anyway? And look at what their financial position was when they kicked Miller out.

Thankfully, I do have faith in Wallace toughening the players up, and putting some discipline into the way we play footy.

I'm with you two manic farks! :thumbsup

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2004, 05:44:01 PM »
Except the part about Greg Miller. A good PR man, good PR for himself that is, but a wooden spoon is what he's contributed to the club, and he's been there long enough to avoid it.
I'm not sure you're giving him much of a chance 1980. Didn't he come to the club after the 2002 draft?
I'm sure this is only the second draft he has been involved in for the club. That means his input on list management started by effectively clearing as many players off the list as Carlton did ready for the 2003 draft. (Carlton had more retirements, so a couple extra replacements)
Miller has had to start from scratch and to judge his success on one season is a touch harsh.

How much of a chance does he need fishy? He told supporters not to expect overnite results, and he needed 3 years. He's had 2 seasons so accordingy to him, we're a year away from playing premiership footy.

The club loses $2.5m in the same year he's flying to London to negotiate with Dean Solomon a massive contract. Any fool can throw big cheques at players like Nathan Brown. Its not like he chose to play for RFC cos we were a premiership side. He came cos Miller gave him the biggest cheque.

And how about recruiting Blumfeld. What a coup that one was.

And of course I'm not giving him much of a chance. I'm a Richmond supporter FFS  ;)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2004, 05:53:39 PM »
I hear what your saying Spirit, but IMO a footy club succeeds or fails depending on the people in the footy department.  This is the most crucial foundation that needs to be set and IMO we are well on the way in this department.  The board from now on merely needs to not interfere with Wallace's business, administer the selling of memberships, get a few sponsors and count the beans.  If Wallace is successful then all these other factors become so much easier to achieve.

I hear you too Harry and you would think that it should all be that simple.  Maybe I’m just so used to seeing things go off the rails that I’m preparing or expecting the worst at any moment.  But someone had to recruit those people in the footy department and had to know what they were doing.  They didn't just recruit themselves.  And why did it take so long?

The previous/current board failed because they employed the wrong people in the footy dept and sat on their hands for too long when the hard decisions were required to be made regarding getting rid of those imposters that sat in the coaches box.  This is where they failed.  Not because they couldn't attact enough members or sponsors, but because they let the bufoons posing as coaches completely ruin the club.

And that’s the very reason we need to take some interest in those we vote onto the Board this time round.  Because the wrong type will employ the wrong people and make the wrong decisions and even short circuit what has been done in recent times.

Previous administrations couldn’t change anything.  It’s only now that we can see a real difference in anything.  And no doubt because the thinking within the Club changed.  If we bring in that old thinking again we can easily revert to the past, regardless of whether Miller and Wallace are there.  Don’t let’s think that’s not possible.

This is where members get to have their say and ensure that doesn’t happen.  Now that we have that chance, let’s at least give it some thought, rather than thinking the hard work is over.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2004, 05:55:34 PM »
And how about recruiting Blumfeld. What a coup that one was.

I forgot he was involved in getting Blumfield, so this will be his third draft and I stand corrected on that point.
As for his success rate, I think some appointments he has been a key figure in making (coaching staff) will improve his strike rate considerably on the field.
He also seems to do a lot of off-field work which is hard to measure when you don't know the extent of it. (Like I don't)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2004, 04:31:51 AM »
I hear what your saying Spirit, but IMO a footy club succeeds or fails depending on the people in the footy department.  This is the most crucial foundation that needs to be set and IMO we are well on the way in this department.  The board from now on merely needs to not interfere with Wallace's business, administer the selling of memberships, get a few sponsors and count the beans.  If Wallace is successful then all these other factors become so much easier to achieve.

I hear you too Harry and you would think that it should all be that simple.  Maybe I’m just so used to seeing things go off the rails that I’m preparing or expecting the worst at any moment.  But someone had to recruit those people in the footy department and had to know what they were doing.  They didn't just recruit themselves.  And why did it take so long?

And that’s the very reason we need to take some interest in those we vote onto the Board this time round.  Because the wrong type will employ the wrong people and make the wrong decisions and even short circuit what has been done in recent times.

Previous administrations couldn’t change anything.  It’s only now that we can see a real difference in anything.  And no doubt because the thinking within the Club changed.  If we bring in that old thinking again we can easily revert to the past, regardless of whether Miller and Wallace are there.  Don’t let’s think that’s not possible.

This is where members get to have their say and ensure that doesn’t happen.  Now that we have that chance, let’s at least give it some thought, rather than thinking the hard work is over.

The hard work has only just begun. Right now with all the positive changes that have and are happening the club is experiencing a honeymoon period. Supporters are estactic Spud and a number of duds have finally gone and Wallace and Miller are making all the right noises and actions that Tiger supporters have been demanding. As a result, they can make these badly needed changes unhindered.

However, the fruits of these changes will take time to come to fruition for possibly 2-3 years at the very least and there'll be surprising highs and frustrating lows along the way as is normally the case. The question is can we as a Club from the president down to the bootstudder hold our nerve in the meantime and not turn on Wallace and Co if on-field results aren't relatively instant? I agree with Harry there that on-field results alone is what determines Club success or failure in the eyes of the footy world. And can those in official positions whoever they are or will be remain focussed on a long-term plan and not cave in to or become puppets to self-imposed "influential" types (troublemakers) that have plagued our Club for the past two decades?

This is why this vote is very important. As TS said if the wrong people get in (those that think they themselves or these "influentials" around them know better) then what should now be an obvious and steady progression towards success as Harry points out, could still go pear shaped like we've seen so many times in the past 20 years.     
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Time to deliver - Sheahan
« Reply #366 on: November 13, 2004, 04:44:59 AM »
Time to deliver
13 November 2004   
Herald Sun
By MIKE SHEAHAN

Tiger and Hawk reform groups must deliver the goods

ANY reform group that announces itself on the AFL scene is guaranteed a honeymoon period in the media.

We embrace the agitators for all the predictable reasons: the news value, the scent of blood, and, to be frank, the torrent of criticism inevitably dumped on those in office.

You will be familiar with the most popular lines: "The club's out of control . . . there's no leadership . . they're all on ego trips . . . on-field failure is ingrained . . . why don't they look in the mirror instead of sacking everyone else?"

It's fertile ground, too, as reform groups thrive at clubs that have had a bad year/s.

There comes a time, though, when the challengers need to deliver more than criticism of the incumbents. The free-hit permit offered to every reform group has an expiry date.

For the Operation Recovery group at Hawthorn and the Charles Macek group at Richmond, that time has come. The battle lines are drawn, and we will have election results within six weeks.

The challengers now have to try to convince voting members they offer more than just a set of different names. Particularly when many of the names have sat round the same board tables before.

Far easier to criticise a group for what it hasn't done than to come up with a set of plausible promises.

It's a similar tale at Punt Rd. Brendan Schwab desperately wants Clinton Casey's head.

He settled on Macek as the public face of the front, just as Scott settled on Arthur.

Yet, Casey has improved his stocks in recent times. The appointment of Terry Wallace as coach was a coup in more ways than one. There's a new CEO, Steven Wright, and the acquisition of Troy Simmonds hasn't hurt, either.

Casey has to own up to another heavy trading loss of $2 million-plus, but Macek, Schwab and company have to convince members they have ways and means to ensure the black hole will be covered over forever.

The problem for both reform groups is the renewed optimism at the clubs. Particularly Richmond.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11370029%255E19742,00.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 04:48:43 AM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Time to deliver - Sheahan
« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2004, 10:16:44 PM »
The problem for both reform groups is the renewed optimism at the clubs. Particularly Richmond.

The other problem for any challenger is that many mums and dads' members don't take a great deal of interest in club politics. They are more interested and understandably so in whether the Tiges win or lose. I know I didn't until the election earlier this year (granted we haven't had many elections to vote on and none of this scale). If the average member is happier with the changes made (and there's more to come before the AGM is held with the new kids being drafted next weekend) than disgusted with the 2004 performances both on and off-field then any challenger is going to find it hard.   

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2004, 09:44:27 PM »
Sorry to bring this back to the top dude's and dudette's - But too true the alternate is going to struggle now.

Everything seems to be falling nicely into place - ( I said seems ).

Just got a letter from the Tigers today - which advises of the AGM in December. Nominations for the 9 vacant Director positions will be accepted until 08:00 pm Wed 1st December - so I expect we will have our voting forms shortly after.

I think I may just go the Casey ticket for the sake of stability ? may change 1 or 2 spots dont really know - have to wait and see who the nominees are - one thing I know is I dont want Schwab anywhere near the place.

Casey has made his stuffups - but Schwab and his puppet Macek still have not said what they will do (just a power play)  had his chance - to late now GO AWAY

Remember last fans training day for the year December 15th at punt rd 3:30 onwards - should be interesting to have a peek :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2004, 10:37:25 PM »
The alternative ticket as a whole have now become irrelevant especially after the draft/trade period and reading in the Fighting Tiger more specifics on the Club's future plans and direction. Still no specific plans from the alternative apart from Schwab continually needing to tell us what the Club did wrong  :sleep. How about we talk about the future Brendan!

That's not to say I won't be sitting down and picking the best 9 individual candidates for the board from the list of nominees but right now the RFC ship just needs to be kept on its current course and we allow the changes that have taken place over the past couple of months to come to fruition. As Miller said today all the tough decisions have been made.

Anyone else get the impression that Miller would prefer the status quo from this and other statements he's made recently:

The past three months have, in so many ways, been the turning point in the Richmond Football Club's more recent history. . .

I genuinely feel we're on the right track and that our members can be proud of the clear direction the Club is now taking - a clear direction that inevitably will pay dividends on-field.

The decision not to go ahead with an extraordinary meeting paved the way for Terry Wallace's appointment as coach, and I can assure you he already has had a major impact at Tigerland.

Significant change has taken place due to the fact that the Club made the tough decisions. It appointed a strategic planner, acted on that subsequent report, and then made the necessary cuts in all departments. Importantly, the Board of Directors appointed the right man to implement the plan in CEO Steven Wright.

All departments at the Club have been set clear targets, with staff given the confidence and direction to succeed in their particular areas of expertise.

Finally, I can't stress enough that the key to the Club going forward is to stick with the plans that we've implemented over the past three months. If this happens, I'm sure the future will be very bright at Tigerland . . .
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 02:24:03 AM by mightytiges »

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2004, 11:44:27 PM »
I just hope that no matter who wins that both sides can then lay down their arms and unite and support the board 100%
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #371 on: November 23, 2004, 11:48:18 AM »
As Miller said today all the tough decisions have been made.

That's exactly how I feel also.  This election thing is a non-event IMO   :sleep.  All it will do is settle the seating arrangements on the Tiger express.   
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #372 on: November 23, 2004, 01:41:11 PM »
How about we talk about the future Brendan!

MT, Perhaps it scares then that we actually seem to have a bright one? Future that is.

And....

I read in Sunday's HUN in Punchlines that Merv Keane is going to become involved at the Club in 2005  :thumbsup A true Tiger Champion Merv Keane :bow :cheers

I remember there was talk a while (around truce time ::)) back that he was going to join the Casey ticket.

I wonder if he is going to stand for the board as an independant? He'd get my vote :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #373 on: November 23, 2004, 05:21:34 PM »
I read in Sunday's HUN in Punchlines that Merv Keane is going to become involved at the Club in 2005  :thumbsup

Good to see  :thumbsup.

One of the criticisms of the current board is they don't have a strict football person after TJ got voted out and Welsh took flight. Not that they helped with solving our on-field woes nor that not having one has hindered the improvements we've seen in the footy department the past couple of months. One thing that will go in favour of the likes of Keane if he runs and Wood from the alternative side is that most Tiger supporters know them well from their champion playing days and they don't carry baggage being new boys to RFC officialdom.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #374 on: November 24, 2004, 11:42:20 AM »
I read in Sunday's HUN in Punchlines that Merv Keane is going to become involved at the Club in 2005  :thumbsup A true Tiger Champion Merv Keane :bow :cheers

I remember there was talk a while (around truce time ::)) back that he was going to join the Casey ticket.

I wonder if he is going to stand for the board as an independant? He'd get my vote :thumbsup
Good to see Merv coming back to the club.

Interestingly someone on PRE who claims to be close to the alternatives (not sure in what sense) said Merv was against the Casey board.
I wonder if this person has anything to do with the dodgy source feeding Caro material such as Dick Clay fronting the alternative and, I suspect, this piece of (mis)information on Keane.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott