Author Topic: Trouble is brewing  (Read 57707 times)

froars

Re: Trouble is brewing
« Reply #420 on: November 29, 2004, 08:13:33 PM »
Basically, I don't think Francis or any of them can come up with a reason for supporting them - just sounds like he's supporting him because of the Alan Schwab connection.  How anyone could want a full upheaval of the club when it wasn't warranted amazes me.
Anyone know what happened to all the doom and gloom stories that were supposed to come out.  Lots of silence on that front.  Surely, these ppl didn't put the club through all this just for the $2.19m loss. Be glad when it's all over!

Bulluss

« Reply #421 on: November 29, 2004, 08:52:43 PM »
The majority of the reason that we are in so much dept is due to 2 people

Mark Brayshaw and Ian Campbell.

While Casey was President, the CEO still has a lot of pull around the place.

I am not sure who to vote for, but as many people say, Sometimes you are better with the devil you know, rather than the one you dont.

Life goes on

« Reply #422 on: November 29, 2004, 09:01:21 PM »
two things will happen.
Greg Miller will stand for the board.
If the alternative win, Miller will leave or get the flick, lets see whats happens shell we

froars

« Reply #423 on: November 29, 2004, 09:07:33 PM »
I have no problems with employees standing for the board like some - at least if he stood and nominated one side or the other, we'd know where he stood. If he stands with Casey, then you'd know there must be a darn good reason why he supports him.
 Be interesting to see if he makes comment on who he supports, even if he doesn't stand.

Life goes on

« Reply #424 on: November 29, 2004, 09:10:19 PM »
'Supports Casey !

froars

« Reply #425 on: November 29, 2004, 09:12:16 PM »
Shame i didn't support him - would be an easy decision  :rollin
Greg Miler for President - got a nice ring to it hey!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #426 on: November 29, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »
Sometimes you are better with the devil you know, rather than the one you dont.
I keep thinking more along the lines of "out of the frying pan and into the fire."
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #427 on: November 29, 2004, 10:38:48 PM »
Sometimes you are better with the devil you know, rather than the one you dont.
I keep thinking more along the lines of "out of the frying pan and into the fire."

LOL FF

If Miller was to run for the board he would be taking up an honorary position as opposed to his paid one he has now unless he does both? I'd guess that's allowed as Casey was fill-in CEO for about 6 months last year. I personally hope Miller doesn't run for the board so he doesn't become caught up in Club politics. If he were to leave or get the flick I wouldn't want to the board members who allowed him go. They would be on par with those who let Hafey go.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #428 on: November 30, 2004, 01:11:57 PM »
I find it amusing that Welsh escapes any criticism or blame for our poor on-field results despite him being 5 years on the board as football director (in tandem with TJ) with the job of assessing the performance of the footy department.

MT, I found it even more amusing that when TJ left the Club, he seemed to know and understand exactly what was wrong with the place.

Too bad he didn’t have the same “know how” when he was at the Club for all those years, to do something about it then.  Pretty much like any of them that have been there before and, now that the fog has lifted, they suddenly profess to knowing how to save us, despite them not being able to do so for all the years they were previously at the Club.

All talk and not much else.  They all had more than ample time and opportunity to change things, but none of them ever did.  I prefer to move on from these people.

How can any of them escape criticism?  They should instead be exposed for the narrow minds they really are.  Because if some of them had their way, no doubt Danny’s contract would have been terminated mid-stream.  And if that had that happened, the changes we have seen now would never have eventuated, in the way they have.

People can argue all they like that things would have turned out the same.  I just don’t think so, because we’ve had the same pattern occurring over and over and over for years.  And that’s all these past minds know and that’s all they can re-produce, time and again.  Because they don’t even know that their solutions are what cause the problems in the first place.

But if people like the past so much, let’s bring back all the past masterminds who were able to bring us so much success and so much to be proud of.  We don’t remember the past to laugh at those who made the mistakes in the first place.  We remember it so we don’t make the same mistakes as they did.

And if we do then that’s our fault that we’ve made the same mistake because we didn’t learn from them.  And it’s then no longer the fault of any past players, directors or anyone else associated with the Club. Because, for the first time that I know of, RFC members have the opportunity to have their say and decide the direction this Club now takes.  Backwards or forwards?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
'Big Four' to challenge Richmond
« Reply #429 on: November 30, 2004, 05:39:12 PM »
'Big Four' to challenge Richmond
November 30, 2004 - 3:24PM
AAP - The Age

Richmond was "standing at the crossroads", according to the group which aims to take control at the AFL club's December 22 board election.

The Charles Macek-led ticket on Tuesday released its publicity material ahead of the election, labelling itself Big Four.

The Tigers were once among the top four Melbourne-based AFL clubs alongside Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood, but they have not won a premiership since 1980 and several barren years on and off the field have sparked this election battle.

Big Four aims to unseat president Clinton Casey and the current board.

Included in the opposition's publicity material is expressions of support from club legends such as Francis Bourke, Dick Clay and Jim Jess.

"The record of the past five years speaks for itself - no-one can claim that we are better off than we were five years ago," Bourke said in a statement.

"That's why I am supporting change and the Tigers' Big Four."

The nine-person opposition group has printed 25,000 pamphlets for distribution to club members later this week.

"Richmond is standing at the crossroads ... we are at the bottom of the ladder and facing accumulated losses of up to $3 million for the past two years alone.

"Instead of fighting for the flag, we are fighting for our very survival."

Big Four personally attacked Casey, also saying in the pamphlet: "For too many of the past five years, the current president and what remains of his deeply divided board have looked for the quick fix, the easy solution - and then blamed everyone but themselves for the perilous state in which the club now finds itself."

The opposition group outlined its strategy, saying it was built on four "pillars - The Tiger, The Team, The Fans, The Finances."

But Casey and the board so far are fighting a skilful campaign to hold office.

Richmond did extremely well at this month's national draft and Casey held a function at his luxury inner-suburban home on the day to introduce the new recruits to key supporters.

The Tigers also unveiled their new guernsey late last week.

All the talk out of Punt Rd is that the mood is much better around the club after three months of overhaul, with Terry Wallace's appointment as new coach the biggest change.

© 2004 AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Big-Four-to-challenge-Richmonds/2004/11/30/1101577471035.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 10:22:42 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #430 on: November 30, 2004, 06:57:46 PM »
I find it amusing that Welsh escapes any criticism or blame for our poor on-field results despite him being 5 years on the board as football director (in tandem with TJ) with the job of assessing the performance of the footy department.

MT, I found it even more amusing that when TJ left the Club, he seemed to know and understand exactly what was wrong with the place.

Too bad he didn’t have the same “know how” when he was at the Club for all those years, to do something about it then.  Pretty much like any of them that have been there before and, now that the fog has lifted, they suddenly profess to knowing how to save us, despite them not being able to do so for all the years they were previously at the Club.

All talk and not much else.  They all had more than ample time and opportunity to change things, but none of them ever did.  I prefer to move on from these people.

How can any of them escape criticism?  They should instead be exposed for the narrow minds they really are.  Because if some of them had their way, no doubt Danny’s contract would have been terminated mid-stream.  And if that had that happened, the changes we have seen now would never have eventuated, in the way they have.

People can argue all they like that things would have turned out the same.  I just don’t think so, because we’ve had the same pattern occurring over and over and over for years.  And that’s all these past minds know and that’s all they can re-produce, time and again.  Because they don’t even know that their solutions are what cause the problems in the first place.

But if people like the past so much, let’s bring back all the past masterminds who were able to bring us so much success and so much to be proud of.  We don’t remember the past to laugh at those who made the mistakes in the first place.  We remember it so we don’t make the same mistakes as they did.

And if we do then that’s our fault that we’ve made the same mistake because we didn’t learn from them.  And it’s then no longer the fault of any past players, directors or anyone else associated with the Club. Because, for the first time that I know of, RFC members have the opportunity to have their say and decide the direction this Club now takes.  Backwards or forwards?

Well for a start we wouldn't have gotten Wallace as coach and that's not because Wallace wouldn't have come either, it is because the Alternative didn't want Wallace to begin with, they wanted Harvey and that would have been disasterous, they wanted Harvey because he would have been cheaper (ala frawley all over again) These guys will take cost cutting to the extreme, yes we might make small profits, very small profits at that, but we will never be a major force football wise
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
It's nasty and it's bitter and I almost drove off the road
« Reply #431 on: November 30, 2004, 07:13:39 PM »
Bryan Wood representing the BIG4 was on SEN at about 5.20pm. Seriuosly this ticket should not allow someone of its members to speak.  ::)

In summary he said (this all prior to getting out of the car in disgust >:()

- he began by saying that the Macek ticket was the reason that Terry Wallace was coach at Richmond. He eventually changed that to say the macek ticket had a hand in the appointment Wallace.

- Casey takes no responsibility for anything all he does is blame everyone else. Funny I know a couple of blokes on the Macek ticket that have the same problem. For the last five years the board has done nothing and should be made accountable - does that include all board members  during that time Bryan ::).

- Since Clinton Casey has been president the Club have made losses evey year. This is not true but hey why let the facts get in the way >:(

- Bryan Wood is not a finance person but a football person (it showed). :P But Casey has lost a bucket load of money

- the fact that the BIG4 have all these past players supporting them shows there has to be change.

- WP pulls over and gets out of the car to hyperventalate  :help

Facts:

RFC Financial Results since 2000. Casey took over as President in 2000. Both Casey and Daphne are credited as President for the 1999/2000 year

2000 -  $639,667 loss
2001 - $512,560 profit
2002 - $314,519 profit
2003 - $882,100 loss
2004 - $2.19 million loss

Bryan I know you confessed to not being a finance person but if you are going to make accusations get your facts straight. It doesn't help your cause.

I believe at little later Casey phoned in because SEN replayed part of his interview just beofre they spoke to Woosha. CC said that (this is the bit they replayed) that Schwab was on the Audit committe and signed off on the budgets for the last 6 years and Welsh was responsible for the Footy Dept and they should take some responsibility for there involvement.

Woosha countered by saying CC is an Essendon supporter and that the last 3 years were the worst of his life as Director. And he was not responsible for the Footy Dept TJ was. If you were disgusted Woosha why did you stand for re-election last year???

Geoff Raines then phoned and guess what he made sense :bow :bow :bow

As a father he said he was very impressed with how his some has been looked after since he went to the CLub and as a past player he said he hoped that all these blokes backing the alternatives or Casey's ticket had done the "due dilligence" before making their choice and had not just based their views on the fact the club had finshed last
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 07:15:44 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: It's nasty and it's bitter and I almost drove off the road
« Reply #432 on: November 30, 2004, 11:59:10 PM »
- he began by saying that the Macek ticket was the reason that Terry Wallace was coach at Richmond. He eventually changed that to say the macek ticket had a hand in the appointment Wallace.

OMG!...That is hilarious  :rollin. What because Miller told Wood that Wallace was going to be our coach and he said ok  ::). The alternative were too busy making threats about petitioning for a EGM while we were chasing Wallace  >:(.

Got to laugh at that "quick fix" comment in their press release. Talk about hypocritical. So having 4 coaches in 5 years wasn't searching for a quick fix? ::). At least I see positive direction now compared to finishing 9th every year, trading top picks for the likes of Hilton and Biddiscombe, Cambo wanting to walk because he saw no future and no one decent wanting to coach us. But hey we were so much better off in 1999 because at least penny-pinched to make a tiny profit. What a great time in RFC history that was ::)

As they become more desperate their talk is becoming very spiteful and personal. By all means argue for change based on Casey's on and off-field record in his time in office but to go on about all this 'Essendon supporter' crap is disgraceful IMHO. Should we get rid of Miller and Wallace as well while we're at it. How narrowminded can you get!  >:(. This attitude explains why it took us over 80 years to recognise Dan Minogue cause he came from Collingwood even though he was the main drive behind our first 2 flags  ::).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 02:32:51 AM by mightytiges »

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #433 on: December 01, 2004, 12:08:01 AM »
As much as i want casey out the alternative are really losing me..
Fair enough attack caseys record etc but as has been pointed
out they are going overboard and really need to start showing what they will do
to improve the club..

Bring on a mixed board with certain people not on it...

froars

« Reply #434 on: December 01, 2004, 02:21:14 AM »
Just for all candidates' attention, the RFC has been a basketcase for 25 years - stop trying to fob blame on each other and tell me what you're going to do about it.  So far, i'm seeing right before my eyes what the Casey team are doing - WRIGHT, MILLER, WALLACE, A NEW RECRUITING TACT IN GOING FOR KIDS - but i'm still yet to hear a thing from the other side apart from the fact they've got glossy brochures saying we're part of the big 4.  Well, got news for them, a lot of hard work has to be done to get us back up into the big 4 before then and so far you still haven't said a thing about how you will achieve this.

I really hope RFC supporters aren't swayed by players coming out on either side and saying who they support, or listening to grand speeches about how it was in the good old days.  I hope they actually analyse where we're at at the moment, including the financial predicament, and base who they vote for on the credentials of all candidates on all sides - and don't forget independents - and see if we can get the best team to go forward.

I can't wait till i get a list of all candidates to make my judgments on them, although i've made my culling list already and a few people are on that already - you ain't got a chance in hell Schwab and Welsh lol.