Author Topic: Picks 8, 26, 58 and 70  (Read 23265 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Picks 8, 26, 58, ...
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »
We need a big key mobile forward as well but to take one at pick 8 we may be getting the 4th best tall who may or may not be as good as the top 3 whereas selecting a midfielder may score us a gun that in 2-3 year time completes a strong and deep midfield brigade that can be rotated without us losing drive. We do need more solid ball and clearance winner mids who can use the footy well too.

Cotch Foley Lids
Ziebell Tuck Tambling
Connors Edwards White Polo Jackson Thomson

I didn't include Cogs in case he's finished.

As you say Stripes it's not an easy decision.
love the look of the midfield depth there
Not a bad base to start with is it especially if 4-5 of them can step up and become A-graders.

I would love us to grab two talls (big key forward and a ruckman) as well to balance up our list and fill two needs. However if Vickery is gone before pick 8, which is most likely with Port interested in him, do we go with either a McKernan, Trengove or Johnston to grab that tall despite them not being a Watts or Vickery class or in Trengove's case he's coming back from serious injury -OR- do we go best available midfielder who could be a Hartlett or Ziebell?

i would go the midfielder in that case
Trengove is the tricky one as far as tall. Before he got injured he would've been a top 5 pick but the risk is what is he going to be like once he returns to playing footy. He could be a gun or he could end up like Dowler and still playing VFL 3 years after he was drafted.

Hartlett will be a tricky one for us if he is still around at pick 8. Classy footballer but more outside than inside IMO.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »
We need a big key mobile forward as well but to take one at pick 8 we may be getting the 4th best tall who may or may not be as good as the top 3 whereas selecting a midfielder may score us a gun that in 2-3 year time completes a strong and deep midfield brigade that can be rotated without us losing drive. We do need more solid ball and clearance winner mids who can use the footy well too.

Cotch Foley Lids
Ziebell Tuck Tambling
Connors Edwards White Polo Jackson Thomson

I didn't include Cogs in case he's finished.

As you say Stripes it's not an easy decision.
love the look of the midfield depth there
Not a bad base to start with is it especially if 4-5 of them can step up and become A-graders.

I would love us to grab two talls (big key forward and a ruckman) as well to balance up our list and fill two needs. However if Vickery is gone before pick 8, which is most likely with Port interested in him, do we go with either a McKernan, Trengove or Johnston to grab that tall despite them not being a Watts or Vickery class or in Trengove's case he's coming back from serious injury -OR- do we go best available midfielder who could be a Hartlett or Ziebell?

i would go the midfielder in that case
Trengove is the tricky one as far as tall. Before he got injured he would've been a top 5 pick but the risk is what is he going to be like once he returns to playing footy. He could be a gun or he could end up like Dowler and still playing VFL 3 years after he was drafted.

Hartlett will be a tricky one for us if he is still around at pick 8. Classy footballer but more outside than inside IMO.

you reckon ziebell would fit in more than hartlett? i do

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »
so who should we get ... if available ???

i believe we should get a ruckman, key tall forward, and an attacking midfielder !!!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2008, 09:10:35 AM »
so who should we get ... if available ???

i believe we should get a ruckman, key tall forward, and an attacking midfielder !!!

8 = Best available
26 = Ruckman
58 = KPP

Rookie picks
Keep Collard
4 Rucks
Irish rookie?

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »

8 = Best available
26 = Ruckman
58 = KPP

Agree 100% with that.

Rookie picks
Keep Collard
4 Rucks
Irish rookie?

Wouldn't have 4 rucks - 1 ruckman max, Collard, Irish and 3 'best available' others.

Ruckman we have Simmonds, Pattison, Graham and Putt.  1 with pick 26 and 1 rookie would be enough at this point.

And I still haven't discounted the possibility that we will take Cartledge if we miss out substantially in the draft.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »

Wouldn't have 4 rucks - 1 ruckman max, Collard, Irish and 3 'best available' others.

Ruckman we have Simmonds, Pattison, Graham and Putt. 1 with pick 26 and 1 rookie would be enough at this point.

And I still haven't discounted the possibility that we will take Cartledge if we miss out substantially in the draft.

:lol

Yeah probably too many rucks.

If we get one at pick 26, I think we try and rookie a VFL ruck (like Cartledge, but more skills) age 22-23 as that emergency option if Simmo goes down.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »
A Bombers fan on BF has put together a good draft source thread with links to info, articles and vision of potential draftees:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499369

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2008, 09:33:57 PM »
The same bloke on SEN who said last week Ziebell would be around at pick 8 said tonight to Billy from Heidelberg that Richmond will have a choice of 2nd/3rd best in each category of a midfielder, key forward or ruckman.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2008, 06:10:47 AM »
Emma Quayle was on SEN before 7pm last night.

She like a lot of people believes the top 5 will....
1. Watts (Melb)
2. Rich (WC)
3. Naitanui (Freo)
4. Vickery (Port)
5. Yarran (Ess)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
SEN now from 9-10pm tonight have their draft talk hour with Nigel Carmody from Elite Sports and Mark Fine.

They are looking at Division 2 state kids tonight - NSW/ACT, TAS, QLD and NT.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2008, 09:37:53 PM »
I'm worrying that we are heading down the Doggies path - a team of great mid-fielders with no quality talls anywhere! I know we have far more up and coming potential talls than the WB but we need to look beyond the middle and to our deficences. We are desperate for good ruckman to at first act as a second ruckman and then eventually take over the mantle. Our current ruck stocks are speculative at best and it is a far cry to expect two of them to come through and be able to compete with 200+ ruckrovers.

We need to get the best ruckman we can get and if Vickery is already gone we need to ensure we get the next best. Our list is developing nicely but I fear unless we ensure we have ruckmen to get it down to our midfielders we will never get anywhere - we all remember 2007 when Simmo and Knoble went down...

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2008, 10:09:35 PM »
A bit of a summary.......

A caller asked who Richmond could get at Pick 8?
Carmody said again Jack Ziebell for the same mouthwatering reason of him, Cotch and Lids in the same midfield. Ziebell relocated to Caulfield Grammar this year and handled that well as well as playing good footy for Vic Country. Has real strong leadership qualities. Carmody doubts Sidebottom will be still around at our first pick.

Hurley - expects him to head to Carlton at 6.

Robinson - inside top 30.

Tom Swift - inside first couple of rounds.

Lisle - a key defender who needs a couple of years in the gym whereas Hurley is more solidly built already.

Post - Form in TAC Cup finals has boosted up his ranking. High as a 2nd round pick.

Blease or Stephen Hill would be handy at the Saints.

Pick 5 (Bombers) - Sidebottom or Ziebell. Vickery if he slips through.

Schoenmakers - similar to a Robert Murphy type but will blonde hair.

Beams - tough onballer/tagger from Qld who didn't take up the GC option. He has strength through loyalty tattooed across his chest plus flames and the Aussie flag down an arm. Collingwood apparently interested.

Xavier Gotch - onballer who went to the state screenings. Is more likely to end up a rookie.

Ex-Tiger Chris Naish is in charge of the scholarship program for NT kids at Scotch College.

Carmody admitted he's probably said 60 different kids could finish inside the top two rounds but that's how open this year is.

List of possible first picks for each club

Adelaide - Phil Davis (key def)
Brisbane - Stephen Hill could be a look at 7.
Carlton - Hurley (key def)
Coll'wood - Sam Blease with first pick (similar to Thomas)
Essendon -  Sidebottom (tough inside mid to complement their outside runners)
Fremantle - Rich or Naitanui
Geelong -  Mitch Brown  (key forward)
Hawthorn -  Redden  (bolster ruck stocks)
Melbourne - Watts
North - Lewis Johnston (key forward)
Richmond - Ziebell
St Kilda -  Mckernan    (key forward)
Sydney - ? (add midfield pace)
WC - Rich or Naitanui
Bulldogs - Ayce Cordy (F/S ruck) at pick 14, Ryan Schoenmakers (HFF) at pick 31.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »
I've never really been sold on Ziebell and after hearing some of his draft camp stats regarding stamina I hope we don't have him on our list at all

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
I've never really been sold on Ziebell and after hearing some of his draft camp stats regarding stamina I hope we don't have him on our list at all

Can't say I am that close to the draft prospects but if stamina is his only downside then that would have to be one of the easiest things to work on wouldn't it?  As long as his attitude is right and he has skill if he is the best mid available at our pick then I say go for it.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
I'm worrying that we are heading down the Doggies path - a team of great mid-fielders with no quality talls anywhere! I know we have far more up and coming potential talls than the WB but we need to look beyond the middle and to our deficences. We are desperate for good ruckman to at first act as a second ruckman and then eventually take over the mantle. Our current ruck stocks are speculative at best and it is a far cry to expect two of them to come through and be able to compete with 200+ ruckrovers.

We need to get the best ruckman we can get and if Vickery is already gone we need to ensure we get the next best. Our list is developing nicely but I fear unless we ensure we have ruckmen to get it down to our midfielders we will never get anywhere - we all remember 2007 when Simmo and Knoble went down...

Stripes

I think we are almost there with our midfield but I still think one more with our first pick is the way to go.  Then it is time to work on KPP's, rucks and talls as you have said Stripes. We may still need a quality go to KPP in the forward line, come on Clever shine in 09.