Author Topic: Otto a man in demand  (Read 40184 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Otto a man in demand
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2004, 06:23:37 PM »
My disappointment lies in the fact that Brad said he wanted to be a one-team player, wanted to be a part of the rebuilding of this great club, and was aware that he had underperformed, and wasn't worth the money he was being paid. Doesn't look that way now...the air must be different up there Brad. Twenty-four years old eh? How does it feel to know you've just made 30,000+ enemies?

Just goes to show the excuse he's all of a sudden come up with (or his management has  >:( since they do all the talking for him apparently) is utter crap! Swans haven't won a flag for over 70 years, the Cats for over 40 and the Pies 1 in 46. Remember we still offered him the ability to earn as much as he does now if he performed to the standard expected of him. So where has the Club lost faith in you Brad?

Cambo was just on Ch 10 at the parade today saying he hopes Otto has a rethink but it's time to say bye bye!

Are the Hawks out of the equation? It's not like they have financial constraints like we have. Rumours have them very interested in Luke Ball and will offer $$$ (not that I can see Ball leaving the Saints). If Otto ended up at the Hawks or Dogs for nothing then I'd still be happy that the Club had made a statement like Port Adelaide did last year with Nick Stevens that it won't be blackmailed. Either way we must do what's the best deal for Richmond.

As John says next year and probably the next will now be a write off with only the injury-prone Staff in the ruck and hardly any talls  :help. Plenty of top draft picks still to come our way. It ain't going to be pretty :-\.

PS. Credit to Gas for taking a pay cut.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2004, 09:32:43 PM »
:-\.

PS. Credit to Gas for taking a pay cut.

I'll second that!!!

First time in years Darren gets the  :thumbsup off me.

Having said that,i still rekkon we should give him the ars
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 10:01:43 PM by Ox »

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2004, 10:59:03 PM »
What a little, ungreatful ctun of a bloke.

Have to disagree with you Ox. He's not little. ;D

I'm off the fence froars. Splinters are removed and I'm ready to join in lambasting the money grubbing liar.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Otto wants to go to Geelong
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2004, 12:32:56 AM »
Ottens quits Richmond, eyes Cats
By Jake Niall, Lyall Johnson
realfooty.theage.com.au
September 25, 2004

Brad Ottens yesterday told Richmond of his decision to quit the club, and nominated Geelong as his preferred destination.

The uncontracted ruckman-forward met Richmond football director Greg Miller and told him he wanted to leave the Tigers. He confirmed through his management that he wanted to be traded to Geelong, which has beaten Sydney to be his favoured destination.

"Geelong are his preferred option, but obviously on the understanding, providing they're able to compensate Richmond appropriately," said Ottens' manager Dan Richardson, whose Elite Sports Properties issued a statement in which Ottens said he was leaving for "football" rather than financial reasons.

Miller said the Tigers were "genuinely disappointed" with Ottens' decision to leave, and vowed that any team that wanted him would have to pay heavily.

"Brad was our No.1 pick (No. 2 overall) in the 1997 national AFL draft and since then we've spent considerable time and money in nurturing his talent, to a point where he's ready to produce his best football over the next few seasons," Miller said. "Whichever club reaps the reward of our efforts will pay handsomely for that right. Brad is the hottest trade choice that I can ever remember in league football. We're talking about a ruckman-forward who has played more than 120 games, was an All-Australian representative in 2001, and is still only 24 years of age."

The former South Australian is believed to have chosen Geelong ahead of Sydney - subject to a trade - because of his preference to remain in Victoria, where his mother and brother Luke now live.

He is seeking at least three years on his new contract and is certain to command at least $400,000 from Geelong, which would not pay him as much as the Swans.

In the statement, Ottens cited his wish for a "new environment" as paramount. "I need a new environment to get the best out of myself and enjoy my football," he said.

Miller said Richmond, which has selections one, four and 20 in the national draft, would be looking for more early draft choices as well as a ready-made big man to trade in order to fill the void left by Ottens.

Miller said the Tigers also reserved the right to re-sign Ottens or take him in the pre-season draft should a "suitable offer" not be forthcoming.

Geelong coach Mark Thompson said last night it was too early to discuss who might be on the list of trade possibilities for Ottens, but said he felt the former All-Australian would be worth a "first-round draft choice and a decent player".

Ottens, who is leaving for Thailand tomorrow, also alluded to the substantial pay cut the Tigers had requested he take from his 2004 contract. In the statement, his management company said Ottens had been willing to accept a reduction, but the proposed cut was "above what he thought reasonable and indicated the club had lost faith in him".

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/09/24/1095961858834.html
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 01:41:37 AM by mightytiges »

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2004, 12:46:33 AM »
Geelong coach Mark Thompson said last night it was too early to discuss who might be on the list of trade possibilities for Ottens, but said he felt the former All-Australian would be worth a "first-round draft choice and a decent player".

Thompson is sounding more than fair. Wonder what he means by "decent" player.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2004, 01:38:11 AM »
The cats first pick is at #16 or 17 isn't that much better than our second round pick at #20 so we definitely deserve more than their first pick.

As for a decent player they can only really offer us one of their young midfielders - IMO someone along the lines of a Bartel, Kelly (although he's injured) and even maybe a Tenace. We don't want a Spriggs, Rahilly or Enright as some Cat and Swan fans have been posting on their forums.   

It would be better if we could do a 3-way deal with another Club who has a top 10 pick.

Offline RachelVilification

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2004, 01:55:04 AM »

Thompson is sounding more than fair. Wonder what he means by "decent" player.

Bomber is a very nice person and unlike frawley,also a good coach.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Crows now interested in Otto
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2004, 02:01:55 AM »
From the Hun:

Adelaide football operations manager John Reid said the club had resigned itself to missing out on Ottens, until yesterday.

The Crows had offered Ottens a lucrative contract but felt he wasn't interested in returning to South Australia.

"(His) home is Melbourne. His family is over there. But we'll go and find out where it's at," Reid said.

Speaking of a Club with a top 10 (#8) pick  ;).

Otto for pick #8 + Reilly at the very least. If the Cats, Swans and Crows get into a battle over Otto, add pick #24 and Adelaide can have him :thumbsup. If that's too much then even swap our #36 for the Crows #24. We would then have picks 1,4,8,20,24,.... 3 picks in the top 8 and 5 in the top 24!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
The Australian sticking by their Otto to Sydney story
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2004, 02:10:15 AM »
Ottens free to join Swans
Greg Denham
The Australian
September 25, 2004

RICHMOND's out-of-contract ruckman Brad Ottens yesterday quit Punt Road and is poised to kick-start his career with Sydney.

Ottens said the Tigers indicated they had lost faith in him by insisting he accept a significantly reduced contract.

As revealed in The Australian on Wednesday, Ottens is set to join the Swans to take over as the club's No.1 ruckman after seven seasons and 129 games with Richmond.

Ottens walked out on Richmond a day after coach Terry Wallace was critical of the report in The Australian, calling it newspaper speculation.

In a statement yesterday from Ottens' management ESP, Ottens said he acknowledged his recent form was below his and Richmond's expectations, despite an injury-riddled past two seasons.

However, the proposed cut in pay was above what he felt was reasonable.

"I need a new environment to get the best out of myself and enjoy my football," Ottens said. "This is purely a football decision which I believe is in my best interests."

The Swans have moved quickly on Ottens, who could become the highest-profile player to swap clubs via the AFL's official player-exchange period early next month.

Ottens announced his decision despite Tigers football director Greg Miller saying on Thursday he was confident Ottens would stay.

Miller indicated Ottens had an obligation to stay with Richmond after being paid on potential rather than results. "He's one of the leaders of our club and he understands his pay had to come back a little bit," Miller said.

Wallace claimed Ottens twice told him he wanted to stay at Punt Road, and then threatened to redraft Ottens with Richmond's first pick in the pre-season draft.

The 24-year-old played this season on about $450,000, but was asked to take a pay cut of up to $130,000 a year for at least the next two seasons.

Sydney has already sounded out Ottens and it is understood to be preparing to offer his management a long-term deal with the capacity to earn up to $500,000 a year.

The Swans, who have up to $1million to spare under their salary-cap limit, are desperate to recruit at least one high-profile player next month, their first since snaring Barry Hall from St Kilda three years ago.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said he had identified a ruckman and a midfielder as priority areas of recruitment before the Swans could be consistently competitive against the best.

"I've spoken to Brad and he's certainly of interest to us," Roos said earlier in the week. We're pro-active and we need to be to get better.

"We certainly need a ruckman and Ottens fits the model."

Sydney has decided to increase its total player payments next year to attract class players following severe cost-cutting on the back of combined operating losses of more than $3m in 2002 and 2003.

Richmond will now intensify its pursuit of out-of-contract Fremantle ruckman Troy Simmonds, who is in dispute with the Dockers over the length of his contract offer.

Fremantle has offered Simmonds a new three-year deal, but his management wants a four-year contract.

Sydney will attempt to satisfy the Tigers by offering a player or players and an early draft choice for Ottens in what could develop into a three- or four-club trade deal.

Swans defender Jason Saddington, who with Ottens was a first-round national draft pick in 1997, appears highly likely to be offered up as part of a trade deal to satisfy the Tigers. He was recruited by the Swans from the Melbourne suburb of Mitcham.

Roos revealed that the Sydney playing group had been told that some would have to be moved on to other clubs.

Saddington would need to prove his fitness after a knee reconstruction this year.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10867809%255E2722,00.html

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2004, 07:46:47 AM »
I'm very disappointed with this news.  Surely his ego is not that big that he can't see how badly he's played this year and swallow some pride and take a pay cut.  Once again, I bring up the example of the Brisbane Lions - Michael Voss has repeatedly taken pay cuts, amongst others players, to keep their team together and look where they are today.  My only concern now is who will we get to replace Ottens.  We desperately need another ruckman, who unlike Ottens, really knows how to ruck, not just tap it to the opposition everytime.  What was that quote from "Top Gun" about "cashing in cheques your body can't carry"???

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2004, 12:02:47 PM »
Does Otto honestly believe he's worth more that Akermanis and half of the Lions side.....take a long hard look at yourself Brad. We have overpaid him for at least 5 years and he's given us sweet FA. Goodbye and good riddance. My fear is that the Pies will end up getting him for nothing, still I think I'd prefer this than have him dictate to the club.

I'd love to see him do a Buckley and leave a side that starts making the finals and winning flags (please) whilst he withers away.
I still keep thinking of Ray Hall last year - definitely going and ended up staying with the Tiges...wonder if this could repeat.

Hope Staff's fit when we're due to play whoever Ottens ends up with.....may make the Everitt incident look tame.

Jackstar

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2004, 06:47:31 PM »
It could be very interesting BG 25 as big Brad wasnt the most popular bloke down there. Says that no body liked him, I wonder why ?
Footballers have very bad memories too. Brad has been known to bag Danny Frawley but when he was in trouble with the drunken episode a few years back, who does he ring to bail him out at 4 in the morning, you guessed it, Danny ! ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2004, 12:02:37 PM »
Heard Tezza on the radio yesterday afternoon on my dirve out to the airport and someone asked him would the Tigers accept Collingwood's first round pick and Rhys Shaw for Bard Ottens (laughable I know but true ::)).

Terry said NO, NO WAY!

Terry also said that he had 2 meetings with Brad and look what had happened :rollin. He also said that we would try and trade him because Ottens had said he doesn't want to be there, however Terry added that we had to be compensated accrodingly and that if there was not a suitable trade put forward then we would re-draft him in the PSD even if it was going to costs us more than what we are prepared to pay him as per our current offer. He reiterated what Greg Miller said in his "letter" to supporters. Terry said that part of this situation was about the Tigers no longer being held to ransom by other clubs and player managers.

We are going to play hard ball and I for one will support the Club 150%.

If he wants to go to the Cats - I'd want their 1st round draft pick and a player and I'd be asking for Scarlett or Harley or King to start with. As for the Pies - give me their 1st round pick and 2 players (maybe a Cole or a Ben Johnson) and I'd have a chat.

Does Otto honestly believe he's worth more that Akermanis and half of the Lions side.....take a long hard look at yourself Brad.

I doubt it would make any difference. He would only see what he wants to see

I still keep thinking of Ray Hall last year - definitely going and ended up staying with the Tiges...wonder if this could repeat.

I think it is a possiblity - the compo is going to have to be really really good for him to be traded

Hope Staff's fit when we're due to play whoever Ottens ends up with.....may make the Everitt incident look tame.

:o :o and I thought I was the only one who had been thinking these thoughts ;) :cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 12:06:40 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2004, 08:01:49 PM »
He also said that we would try and trade him because Ottens had said he doesn't want to be there, however Terry added that we had to be compensated accrodingly and that if there was not a suitable trade put forward then we would re-draft him in the PSD even if it was going to costs us more than what we are prepared to pay him as per our current offer. He reiterated what Greg Miller said in his "letter" to supporters. Terry said that part of this situation was about the Tigers no longer being held to ransom by other clubs and player managers.

Take a bow Terry :bow  :bow  :bow.

I agree WP we should demand quality in return along with another club's first pick. I wouldn't go near Ben Johnson though. He knows how to get the pill but his kicking action is dodgy IMO. From the Pies I would ask for their young ruckman Guy Richards.

froars

« Reply #179 on: September 26, 2004, 08:28:51 PM »
While I'm hopeful of getting some good deals, also afraid of getting screwed big time.
My sister told me tonight she heard someone on the radio - Stan Alves she thinks - say Ottens was an ungrateful sod or words to that effect.  Being treated so well at RFC, to walk out like he did.  Couldn't agree with him more.  But nice to hear it come from someone who holds respect.  Usually, it's the club being bagged - not supported like that.