Author Topic: 2009 potential draftees  (Read 19407 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2009 potential draftees
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Picking the next AFL stars
Matt Windley | March 09, 2009

THE 2009 national draft is not until November but the stars of the future are already putting their hands up for selection.

About 480 TAC Cup players had fitness tests at Victoria University in front of AFL recruiters at the weekend.

The class of 2009 appears to be full of midfielders.

Recruiters have their eyes fixed on several young players.

Geelong midfielders Callum Bartlett, 17, and Allen Christensen, 17, are being touted as possible top 10 picks.

Christensen was hampered by a groin complaint at the weekend, but Bartlett excelled in the vertical jump and agility tests.

Another midfielder, Dandenong's Ryan Bastinac, 17, outperformed all of his teammates in the beep test with a score of 15.1.

Western Jets key position players Kyle Hartigan, 17, and Jack Fitzpatrick, 17, also impressed.

A 196cm key forward, Fitzpatrick recorded the fastest 20m sprint time of any of his teammates -- 2.89sec.

Hartigan's movement was also impressive for a 194cm defender and he was fifth in his club's agility testing.

Gippsland's John Butcher, 17, Dandenong's Tom Scully, 17, were not present at the testing day but have been mentioned as possible top 10 draft picks.

Under-18 Country Victoria coach Leon Harris said the tests gave AFL recruiters the chance to gauge player fitness, growth and athletic development.

"All they're doing is getting a feel for the talent that's coming through and the improvement from the guys from this year to last year," Harris said.

"It's all a part of the jigsaw puzzle and mostly today there's been a lot of good testing results . . . it shows that the fitness guys at TAC level are doing a very good job with them as there is a large improvement from last year."

The TAC Cup starts on April 4.

Players will be selected for various representative sides and the draft camp during the year.

"It's a process of watching the players to see how they cope with each of those step ups in level because ultimately that's what catches them out," Sydney recruiter Kinnear Beatson said.

"The speed of the game and the skill of the opposition goes up around them and a lot of them just can't cope unfortunately and that's what weeds them out."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25157498-19742,00.html

Ramps

Re: 2009 potential draftees
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
This thread is gonna get busy over the next few months

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »
The class of 2009 appears to be full of midfielders.

Good, we definitely need a few.

Lids is struggling badly with a tag and until he breaks the tagger wont progress to A grade or elite.  Our other hope in the 2004 draft Tambling looks to be struggling to make it as a regular AFL footballer.

White and Jackson are depth mid field players at best.

Cotch hopefully will become elite, but unfortunately Cuz midfield days are probably behind him and a HFF role is more likely.

I think Foley is A grade but will never become elite.

A classy midfielder is needed badly.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
A poster called vandelay on BF has done a potential top 20 at the start of the year. Pretty close to the mark at this stage and a good guide to reflect back on...

1. Tom Scully (15-5-91 / 182cm / 74kg / Dandenong Stingrays, Vic)
For me, Scully’s the deserved number one prospect coming into the new year. It’s hard to split him with Butcher and Lucas at this stage, but ultimately, I think Scully’s got the most points on the board at this stage. He’s got a great attacking mindset which is backed up by a good skill set and good pace. He wins the ball in close, and he can receive brilliantly. Also, I love his football instincts, he’s just so natural. Scully was very impressive throughout the Champs, found the ball in tough situations and generally finished well, making him a worthy All-Australian. He didn’t play much TAC Cup football due to school commitments, but when he came into the side later in the season, he did so with immediate effect and was one of the driving forces behind the Stingrays’ good form with some very big numbers.

2. Kane Lucas (26-6-91 / 188cm / 79kg / East Fremantle, WA)
Lucas is the ultimate in class. He’s a very smooth mover, who delivers the ball with absolute precision and runs and runs and runs. He didn’t prove himself to be a big feeder of the ball in the Champs, but that may have had something to do with his light frame, and it’ll be great watching him with more responsibility this year. However, even if his inside game doesn’t come on much, I can’t see him slipping too far down the order. After all, clubs are always after tall, quick, good users of the ball. My main impression of Kane is that he’s a player you always notice, and that’s why he comes into the year rated so highly. He was unlucky to miss out on All-Australian selection last year.

3. John Butcher (3-7-91 / 197cm / 83kg / Gippsland Power, Vic)
After his performances in last year’s Champs, he rightfully shot to serious contention for the number 1 pick. His performances at the Champs weren’t where it ended with Butcher though; he well and truly took a few TAC Cup games apart, his 7.6 against Bendigo his main highlight. He matches the trend of key position players getting bigger and bigger at 197cm and more and more athletic, which will no doubt make him a very appealing prospect. He takes a strong contested mark, even up against much more developed bodies, and his recovery skills are impressive. His kicking isn’t perfect, but it’s still very workable, with few obvious technical problems. Obviously he’s got some filling out to do, and it’ll be interesting to see what kind of shape he turns up in at the start of the TAC Cup season.

4. Jack Fitzpatrick (26-6-91 / 199cm / 82kg / Western Jets, Vic)
This ranking is probably more of a reflection of where he could be, as opposed to where he actually is at the moment. He boasts a 7 goal haul against the Northern Territory in the TAC Cup, but at the same time he has some low possession, goalless performances next to his name. He’s a tall, athletic kid with plenty of physical development ahead of him but what’s most promising is his ability to take a contested mark and finish off with goals. It’s hard to doubt his talent, and if he can play a consistent, full year with the Jets, he could well feature around this mark come draft day. He suffers from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but from all reports he’s well on top of it at this point in time.

5. Mitchell Duncan (10-6-91 / 187cm / 81kg / East Perth, WA)
He didn’t have a massive impact at the Champs, so he hasn’t received a hell of a lot of hype around here, but Duncan’s one of Western Australia’s absolute best prospects. Some will remember him from the Under 16s a couple of years ago where he had a big impact as Western Australia’s captain. He absolutely dominated Colts football, never slipping below 20 possessions and 4 times having more than 20 kicks, including 28 in one game. He’s an immaculate user of the ball, a hard runner and doesn’t seem to have troubles with pace. I imagine he’ll step out of defence for Western Australia in this year’s champs and have a real impact through the midfield. He’s meant to be a real quality kid as well.

6. Koby Stevens (18-6-91 / 186cm / 78kg / Gippsland Power, Vic)
Koby is definitely one to watch. He came of age for Gippsland last year, and his selection in the TAC Cup Team of the Year was well deserved. To put it simply, he played consistently good football. He’s got good size about him, just about the best frame possible for a kid his age, and to go with that he’s just an incredibly natural footballer. He’s a good user of the ball, his pace is good and I like his work rate. He didn’t have a massive impact with Vic Country at the Champs, but I’ll back him to rectify that this year. I’ve picked my brain looking for a weakness, and I can’t think of anything that’s of any great concern at this stage.

7. Anthony Morabito (29-10-91 / 192cm / 93kg / Peel Thunder, WA)
As an athlete, he cuts a fine figure. He’s quick, he’s big and he’s a pretty good user. Personally, I see him as a bit of a David Myers type at the same age in being most effective as a rebounding defender. However, I’m not as sure of Morabito making the step up to being a full time midfielder; he’s got plenty of work to do on his positioning. Didn’t have the greatest Championships, but did perform well against Tasmania at Casey Fields. He didn’t absolutely take Colts football apart either, but wasn’t without impact. Given more responsibility next year, he could be one that rockets up the order; he’s got most of the attributes of a high pick.

8. Declan Bevan (30-11-91 / 196cm / 90kg / Sandgate, Qld)
He’s a Queenslander, so like I’m sure a number of others, it’s been hard to see much of him. However, what I have seen, I’ve liked. He’s played a lot of football in the ruck to date, but hopefully Queensland can settle him in a key position come this year’s Champs. He’s been highly rated for a long time and I think he’d make a good Full Forward with his strong hands, seemingly good pace off the mark and finishing skills. At 196cms, he’s obviously a big lad as well and is well placed for the physical contest. He’s another kid who’s meant to have a terrific attitude. There has been talk of the Gold Coast snapping him up, but I’m hoping he follows Dayne Beams’ lead and jumps straight into the draft pool rather than waiting round for his AFL opportunity.

9. Jordan Gysberts (11-6-91 / 189cm / 81kg / Eastern Ranges, Vic)
Jordan’s probably one that will need to add a bit more x-factor to his game if he’s going to go around here come November, but right now, he has some serious points on the board that make him stand out from others. He averaged over 20 touches a game in the TAC Cup and made the Team of the Year with only 12 matches, and that’s pretty impressive in itself. He wins the ball in tight and receives well, then finishes off with very clean disposal. He’s got excellent height and a pretty good frame to back that up. Jordan was a solid contributor for Vic Metro in last year’s Champs and I look forward to seeing what he can do with some more time in the midfield.

10. Ben Griffiths (17-9-91 / 197cm / 92kg / Eastern Ranges, Vic)
Griffiths is probably one of the hardest players to rate coming in to the year. He’s done some pretty spectacular things at TAC Cup level, with some especially big marks, but hasn’t really had any really big impacts on matches apart from a good opening game against the Knights. However, he missed 3 months of the season with a groin injury, so he hasn’t played too many matches, and has clearly been underdone when he has. The months he missed also included the Champs, so he probably missed the biggest chance to stand out as well. All things considered, he comes with big raps, he’s an AIS boy and he’s got great size, good athleticism and takes a big mark. So ultimately, he’s pretty hard to look over as a very high prospect, although he’s got a fair bit to prove this year. On potential, he could be one to threaten the top 3 at this stage.

11. Allen Christensen (19-5-91 / 175cm / 69kg / Geelong Falcons, Vic)
I found Allen a really hard one to rate to be honest. Some think he’ll go right up amongst the absolute best in this draft whilst others seem to think he’ll follow in the footsteps of others of a similar ilk and slide a bit. I’ve settled for the happy middle. He certainly doesn’t have any trouble finding the football, he got big numbers consistently for the Falcons in the TAC Cup, and he did get a bit of it for Vic Country at the Champs. He’s quick, he’s got flair and he’s got some pretty handy skills. The big question mark is his size. At 175cm, is he tall enough to handle the midfield at AFL level? Will he be resigned to a flank?

12. Alex Carey (27-8-91 / 180cm / 73kg / Glenelg, SA)
I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen a heap of Alex, or at least not as much as I would’ve liked to. However, like Declan Bevan, there’s a lot to like upon first glance. He’s not that big, although he could well be bigger than 180cms as listed, but he’s quick and has a really nice kicking action. He’s one that’s been fast tracked all along in his junior career, and has generally stood up to the pressure. Last year, he started out in Glenelg’s Under 17s, quickly moved to the Under 19s and ended up playing most of the year in the SANFL Reserves as a 16 year old. He was in the SA squad for the Championships, but as far as I’m aware, he didn’t play. Also meant to be an absolutely exceptional junior cricketer, and if he ends up at Adelaide, one would think they’d have a reasonable side with James Moss and Brad Symes there already!

13. Jesse Crichton (18-6-91 / 183cm / 66kg / North Launceston, Tas)
If there was one benefit of the restructuring of the Championships, it was allowing Division 2 teams to play Division 1 teams. In the past, we may have looked at Crichton’s performances and thought ‘it was only Div 2’, but he well and truly backed up his form against Division 2 teams against Division 1 teams, if anything he went up a gear. He took the opportunity to stand out, and you’ve got to like that. He’s very skinny, and has many an hour ahead of him in the gym, but he’s a real dasher, has quite a leap, he uses it pretty cleanly and he’s really got some x-factor about him. I’d liken him a little bit to Sam Blease.

14. Joseph Groenewegen (25-10-91 / 196cm / 77kg / Launceston, Tas)
Big Joe is a player with a big future ahead of him. The son of Robert (although he doesn’t qualify for the Father/Son rule) is a ruckman at this stage, and one would hope he’ll keep growing and reach an ideal ruckman’s height. However, much like Jackson Trengove this time last year, if that doesn’t happen, it shouldn’t be a problem. He’s a really athletic kid, who moves around the ground well and seems to have a good grasp of the game; I think he’d adapt to a key position just fine. I can’t comment on his form back in Tassie, but he had a good Champs. He probably was a bit out of his depth in Division 1, with size a bit of an issue, but he was more than effective in Division 2.

15. Jake Melksham (29-8-91 / 182cm / 69kg / Calder Cannons, Vic)
Jake only played a few TAC Cup games this year, mainly due to his school commitments at PEGS and some injury problems, so he’s one that’s probably flown a little under the radar over the past year. However, there was nothing wrong with his form when he did play, named in the best for 2 out of 3 games. As far as the Champs go, he was apart of the Vic Metro squad and that’s as far as it went. From what I’ve seen of him, his endurance looks top notch, and he backs that with pace and skill. He’s obviously going to need a bit of work in the gym, but his other attributes should see him become a high pick should a good year ensue.

16. Matt Thompson (2-5-91 / 184cm / 83kg / Sturt, SA)
At the moment, Matt looks like one of the safest midfield bets in the draft, and he’s a player that will probably have a big impact at the Champs. He’s well developed and a true inside player who gets a heap of the ball and generally uses it alright. He didn’t see any action in the SANFL Reserves, but absolutely took apart the Under 19s being named in the best for 13 out of his 17 matches. South Australia didn’t take him to Melbourne for the Champs this year, but he was apart of the squad and to the best of my knowledge played a part in the earlier matches. He’s not flashy, but he’s a real quality workman type.

17. Ben Cunnington (30-6-91 / 184cm / 78kg / Geelong Falcons, Vic)
Cunnington was one of the real finds for the Falcons this year; he just grew and grew as the season went on. He’s tough around the football – a good inside player, but at the same time, he’s pretty quick and can be damaging on the run. The one thing I really like about him is his ability to lift his game to another level, this is what makes him a top prospect, and could see him go higher than here come draft day. I don’t think he quite got the opportunities he deserved with Vic Country this year, although he did play some part later in the carnival which is more than some, although he practically forced his way in. He still needs plenty of development, but he comes into the year in good shape. He and Christensen should be a pretty handy combination for the Falcons this year.

18. Kyle Hartigan (7-11-91 / 194cm / 82kg / Western Jets, Vic)
Kyle was one that really jumped out and shone for the Jets this year, and he’s every bit deserving of the AIS Scholarhsip that ensued. He spent the year down back and played consistently good football; he was rarely beaten and he stood up when he was needed to, I remember him taking some crucial contested marks. He’s got a fairly athletic look to him, although I’m not sure think he’s quite using it to full advantage just yet; I think he could be more damaging on the rebound. At the absolute ideal height of 194cm, he starts the year as the best genuine key defender in the draft in my book. He ran second to Jayden Post for the Jets’ Best and Fairest, so that’s an indication that he’s fairly highly rated down that way.

19. Ryan Harwood (8-7-91 / 182cm / 74kg / Glenorchy, Tas)
The third of a very talented bunch of Tasmanians in this year’s draft pool. Harwood really impressed me at the Champs for Tasmania with especially his evasive skills; he’s a really good mover through traffic. On top of that, he works pretty hard and there’s nothing obviously wrong with his skills at all. I’d like to see him get more of the ball, but I expect that will come with the increased responsibility he’ll have for Tassie at the Carnival, not to mention more attacking roles. He doesn’t have the absolute class of a Scully or a Lucas, but his ability to effectively play inside and out as well as finish off should make him a first or early second round prospect at this stage.

20. Ryan Bastinac (22-6-91 / 182cm / 71kg / Dandenong Stingrays, Vic)
If Tom Scully’s Batman at the Stingrays, Ryan Bastinac is Robin. Scully’s the big shot, but Bastinac is the sidekick who’s very talented in his own right. Ryan’s really got a knack for finding the ball and then doing the right thing with it, and that alone makes him very likable. On top of that, his skills are solid and he’s not lost for pace. He didn’t dominate the TAC Cup, but he was a really consistent player for Dandenong and, in an underage player, I really like that. It should also be considered that Dandenong had quite a side last year, and being a real stand out every week wasn’t easy. Ryan’s one that should go up a gear next year and I look forward to see what he produces.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536791

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »
Im surprised this thread hasnt gotten busy yet. For me Id like to see Scully, Griffiths, Crighton and Martin in action.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »
Unless i see a description which includes a player can kick from both sides of the feet and is over 80 kg's then i dont want him.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
Im surprised this thread hasnt gotten busy yet. For me Id like to see Scully, Griffiths, Crighton and Martin in action.
Butcher kicked 6 this weekend  :thumbsup

My only concern with Scully is he looks skinny. He's not built like a Cotchin or Rich. Apart from that looks a smart naturally talented midfielder.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
John Butcher expected to go top-two in national draft (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 04:23:09 AM »
John Butcher expected to go top-two in national draft
Chris Mitchell | May 15, 2009 11:30pm

IT'S enough to make Melbourne fans go weak at the knees.

The only thing that looks like stopping John Butcher from being a top-two national draft pick is injury.

Even then the Gippsland forward may have already done enough in his third TAC Cup season to be a first-round pick in November's draft.

And Butcher could be headed to the Demons who, having won only three games last season, will qualify for a pre-draft priority choice if they win four or fewer this season.

As long as Melbourne finishes on the bottom as well, picks No. 1 and No. 2 will come its way.

That's serious draft riches.

Butcher, 17, has booted 16 goals in five games this season, including six last weekend against Gold Coast.

The Maffra star has recovered from hip surgery in November and, according to Power coach Damian Carroll, is almost certain to be drafted.

"He is a talent," Carroll said.

"I haven't seen him outmarked this year. He's very agile for a big guy. If you do play a tall on him they might not be able to keep up with him too much or if you play a small he will outmark them."

Butcher, who weighs 86kg and stands 197cm, will lead Vic Country at the national championships, starting against Vic Metro on May 31 at the MCG.

It is there the draft pecking order will be set in stone, with Butcher vying with Dandenong midfielder Tom Scully for top honours.

Butcher has been playing closer to goals at full-forward this season under the eye of his father, Wayne, an assistant coach at Gippsland.

"He's going pretty well, considering his lack of pre-season," Wayne said. "He's not thinking about that (the draft). He doesn't look too far ahead."

Butcher will play in a practice match against Vic Metro at Victoria Park tomorrow.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,25490239-5016212,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Jack Fitzpatrick
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:54:54 PM »
Minding the gap no problem for Fitzpatrick
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan 10:39 AM Thu 18 June, 2009

HE MIGHT be a self-confessed 'plugger of gaps' but Vic Metro tall Jack Fitzpatrick has already stamped himself as a prospective first-round selection at this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Standing at 201cm, Fitzpatrick is a versatile big man, who can play ruck, key forward or back.

His recent effort at the NAB Under-18 Championships against NSW/ACT at Rouse Hill in western Sydney, where he gathered 19 touches and took four marks playing up forward and in the ruck, would have caught the eye of even the most critical recruiter.

Such is Fitzpatrick's flexibility, it's difficult to know exactly where he is best suited, according to his Metro coach, former Carlton forward and 1993 grand final player Rohan Welsh.

"He's one of those ones you don't know whether to play him in the ruck, up forward or back. We've got that luxury that we can play him in those different spots," Welsh told afl.com.au.

"He's got a good tank, he's good overhead but he probably needs to improve his kicking a little bit.

"He's pretty versatile so that can be a negative and a positive in a lot of ways for recruiters, who can see someone play back and forward. And he has given us a real target up forward."

As for the young man, he has a unique take on his role in the game.

"I sometimes refer to myself as Selleys all seals – I just plug the gap," Fitzpatrick told afl.com.au.

"As long as I'm playing my role, I'm fairly happy."

Hailing from Wyndhamvale/Western Jets, Fitzpatrick, who has grown up a Hawthorn supporter, is relishing the opportunity to play in his second NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, after tasting victory last year.

"Someone like Nick Suban is now playing for Fremantle and I played with him last year and 'Wattsy' [Jack Watts] just made his debut the other week, so it's great," he said.

"It was great spending time with 'Wattsy', whether it be in South Africa [with the AIS/AFL Academy] or Tassie with Vic Metro, so it's quite a good experience."

Fitzpatrick, who also played Under-16s for Vic Metro, has enjoyed coming through with the system with highly-touted pair Tom Scully and John Butcher in the AIS/AFL academy last year.

So how is the year-12 student at McKillop College, Werribee, handling the early talk that he may be a first-round selection come November?

"Oh well, you don't really tend to look at it – that's another six months away," Fitzpatrick said.

"Hopefully, I can keep some good form up and the rest will take care of itself."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78989/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Jack Trengove
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:57:09 PM »
New name touted as No.1 draft pick
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan Thu 18 June, 2009

TOM SCULLY, John Butcher … and now Jack Trengove?

The first two mentioned have already been touted as potential No.1 and No.2 prospects in this year's NAB AFL Draft, but don't dismiss South Australia's best prospect this year, Jack Trengove, who has blossomed in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

He shone with 31 disposals in South Australia's first match against Western Australia, 18 touches and two goals in his second hit-out against Queensland and 27 possessions and three majors in last weekend's win over Vic Country.

South Australian under-18 coach and former Essendon and Brisbane player Brenton Phillips said Trengove's ability to remain composed is coming to the fore.

"He's a level-headed young man. He knows where he's at and he just goes about it," he told afl.com.au.

"I like the fact nothing overawes him. He just goes about his business and he understands that he's going to get a bit of attention.

"He's been educated well enough to understand and deal with it correctly."

Although Trengove is the leading Croweater, Phillps is optimistic at least half-a-dozen of his South Australian teammates will be snapped up in the first draft meeting of 2009.

"It's hard to put figures on how many will be drafted … there are probably half a dozen in the mix that'll possibly get onto a list," he said.

"Everyone keeps saying: 'the draft's skinny'. So from that point of view, you've got no idea – it depends on what each club wants to do with its list management."

Still, there is no doubt Trengove will be on an AFL list by the year's end, but at the moment, the 17-year-old – he turns 18 on September 2 – is focusing on his carnival.

"It's good playing against the best guys in Australia, your age. It's a good experience," he told afl.com.au.

"[Hopefully I can] have a consistent championship and do my bit and the team can do well."

Trengove said he wasn’t paying much attention to talk he could be a No.1 draft prospect.

"I just go out there and try and play my best – whatever happens is good," Trengove said.

"You can put that pressure on yourself, but I just go out and have a crack and see what happens."

The 185cm Trengove, who hails from Kybybolite/Sturt, is a versatile player with his inside midfield and forward work a feature of his game.

An Adelaide fan, Trengove's role models in the game are Gary Ablett jnr and Chris Judd.

And for the record, he is no relation to first-year Port Adelaide player Jackson Trengove.

"It's a pretty uncommon name, but I don't know of any relations. I haven't actually met him yet," he said of his namesake.

But like his namesake, an AFL list beckons.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78988/default.aspx

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 09:13:12 AM »
Its at as it always is the draft is never as bad as people are making out and players like Trengove come to the fore, hes a good size, and if we cant get the KPP we want then Id take a midfielder its good to see Trengove doing well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Ryan Harwood (Tas)
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 02:16:05 AM »
Young Harwood on song
By Stu Warren Sat 20 June, 2009

RYAN Harwood is the type of footballer who just loves to win.

Be it matches for his club side Glenorchy or the Tasmania Under 18s, in one-on-one contests for the ball or in getting the best of an opponent, the tough redhead has a competitive streak that's plain to see.

But his best-on-ground performance for the Tassie Mariners in their 62-point demolition of Queensland at Launceston's Aurora Stadium on Saturday was particularly sweet – it meant he got to join teammates in a rousing rendition of the team song post-match, a pleasure the state U18s had been denied following narrow losses in their first two games of the 2009 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

"We just missed out in the final quarter in the other two games," he said. "But it was good to sing the song today. That's what the boys really wanted."

At 17 and in his second season at U18 level, the 184cm midfielder is a real chance of being drafted later this year, particularly if he maintains his form for state and club for the rest of the season.

His three goals and best-afield performance against Queensland comes as further proof his good form earlier in the tournament and a recent best-on-ground effort for club side Glenorchy in a televised Tasmanian State League match are genuine indicators of a quality footballer on the rise.

Harwood believes the experience he's gaining at club level is vital in his development and by playing for the Magpies and Mariners this year he's learning a lot about his game and the different requirements of a player at various levels.

"At Glenorchy it's a lot harder and more physical, but this is definitely a bit quicker," he said.

He's convinced, though, the best way forward is to work hard at all things football and not to get too worried about what may or may not happen come draft time.

"I want to keep my head down and play good footy and just concentrate on that for the rest of the year," he said.

In a sign of his commitment to giving himself the best chance of being drafted for 2010 (at least two Victorian clubs have shown interest so far), Harwood has opted for casual work as a fencer around Hobart and surrounds to allow himself as much time as possible to train for and play football.

This single-minded attitude is also reflected in his preference for playing tough, in-and-under football.

"I like to get in there, getting in hard at the ball," he said. "Going hard at it and tackling, whatever they [the coaches] want me to do."

Next up for Harwood is Tasmania's match against Western Australia, then the finale against NSW/ACT at Docklands Stadium. Both are must-win contests if the Mariners are to have any chance of topping their pool and you can take it for granted that Harwood will be doing everything in his power to make sure that's just what happens.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79088/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »
Its at as it always is the draft is never as bad as people are making out and players like Trengove come to the fore, hes a good size, and if we cant get the KPP we want then Id take a midfielder its good to see Trengove doing well.
True. There's already 20 names easily popping up so it would be great if we could get 3 of them  ;). The next two weeks of the U18 champs, finals in September and the draft camp will sort them into some order and bring others more into notice of recruiters. I hope the Club this time around changes its tune of the weakness of this draft and doesn't use it as an excuse to trade picks away.

Ramps

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
I had 35 names a month ago. We can get 4 players inside the first 35 picks if we are smart.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
I had 35 names a month ago. We can get 4 players inside the first 35 picks if we are smart.
Yep Ramps if we are smart  :-\. We could even make it 5 in the top 35 if we traded for another pick.