Author Topic: 2009 potential draftees  (Read 19443 times)

Ramps

Re: 2009 potential draftees
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 07:51:29 AM »
some good midfielders available this year - young guys who can actually kick the footy IMHO.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
some good midfielders available this year - young guys who can actually kick the footy IMHO.
Yep last year seemed to have more quality talls to choose from. This year apart from Butcher (I haven't seen enough of Griffiths to judge) it seems the better kids are mids. Although we need to add a couple of big key forwards another quality midfielder to go along with Cotch, Lids and co. wouldn't be a bad thing.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom Scully expected to go at No. 1 in 2009 AFL draft (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 05:04:18 AM »
Tom Scully expected to go at No. 1 in 2009 AFL draft
Jon Ralph | June 25, 2009

FIVE months out from the 2009 national draft, the debate is already over. Gippsland midfielder Tom Scully is considered a rolled-gold certainty to be this year's No. 1 selection.

Scully has dominated the first three matches of the five-game under-18 national championships and, barring catastrophic injury, will find himself at Melbourne next year.

The club has endured much debate about No. 1 pick Jack Watts' progress.

But recruiters say Scully will likely play from Round 1 in the manner of the Brisbane Lions' No. 7 selection Daniel Rich.

A 182cm left-footed midfielder described as a mix of Luke Power and Simon Black, Scully has notched possession tallies of 33, 17 and 30 in his three championship games.

Despite being heavily tagged in his last game against unbeaten West Australia, he had 13 contested possessions, eight clearances, six tackles and a breathtaking goal.

Melbourne is last on the AFL ladder by two games and healthy percentage, and it would take something extraordinary for it not to win the wooden spoon.

Demons recruiting manager Barry Prendergast stopped just short of anointing Scully as the best player in the draft yesterday.

But he said the Vic Metro captain had done everything asked of him this year.

"You wouldn't put anyone else in Scully's bracket yet, so unless a few of the other contenders really come on and develop and put their hand up, you couldn't see them coming over the top," he said.

"His first three games have been pretty good. They have been beaten twice, so he's really stood up when they haven't played well and that's a really good sign.

"With his quick hands and his competitiveness and his running, he's justified his reputation and certainly his ranking at this point."

While the 18-year-old is the no-brainer for Prendergast, the under-18 titles have clouded the national draft's second selection.

If the Demons win less than five games, as expected, they will win a pre-draft priority pick that gives them selections one and two.

Gippsland's John Butcher was seen as the dominant big man in the draft, but has been underwhelming in both the TAC Cup and national championships.

In his past two matches he has kicked 2.6, with a kicking efficiency of only 50 per cent over three games.

If the Demons are recruiting based on need, they might still decide his scope for improvement means he is worth the risk.

But if they lose the priority pick, a host of midfielders could come into calculations.

South Australia's Jack Trengove has thrust his name forward, Anthony Morabito and Kane Lucas are the pick of the dominant WA side, while Vic Metro tall Jack Fitzpatrick continues to shine.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25686056-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Kane Lucas article
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 07:57:20 PM »
Draft stocks rise for WA teen
richmondfc.com.au
By Murray Belkin Sun 28 June, 2009

A MOVE from midfield to half-forward has Kane Lucas’s coach describing him as the complete player.

Already considered one of the more attractive prospects ahead of this year’s NAB AFL Draft, Lucas has been in fine form for Western Australia throughout the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

He starred against Vic Metro at Subiaco with 18 possessions, five inside 50s, two goals and two scoring assists.

In the 128-point belting of Tasmania at Casey Fields on Saturday, he finished with 23 disposals, three clearances, six inside 50s and two goals.

“He has got good hands, he’s quick and has got good skills – he is the complete player,” WA coach Andrew Lockyer told afl.com.au.

The decision to throw 188cm Lucas forward, Lockyer said, was taken for team reasons rather than with Lucas himself in mind.

“He’s one of our most consistent forwards – throughout the carnival he has probably been our best lead-up forward.”

A senior player at WAFL level with East Fremantle this year, Lucas is WA’s joint vice-captain.

In his second U18 carnival, he says playing up forward has been an opportunity to learn more about his game.

“I’ve been working on my opposite side and trying to get that up to scratch, and to develop a bit more penetration with my kicking,” he said.

“I think I’ve lost a bit over the year and am working on that – I think it’s really starting to come together now.”

WA remains unbeaten ahead of Wednesday’s finale at Docklands, which hasn’t hurt Lucas’s enthusiasm for the championships.

“It’s been awesome. Especially it being my second year this year and the boys have been a bit more successful,” he said.

“I’m having a lot of fun.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79557/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 04:43:53 AM »
Lofty goals for Vic Country skipper Andrew Hooper
afl.com.au
By Murray Belkin Sun 28 June, 2009

HE MAY not be your stereotypical footballer, but Andrew Hooper will attract the attention of all 16 AFL clubs and their talent scouts before the 2009 NAB AFL Draft.

The Vic Country captain may only stand at 172cm, but his leadership, courage and vision stands enables him to head and shoulders above the rest on the football field.

Speaking after Vic Country notched its second win of the 2009 NAB Under-18 Championship on Saturday – a 52-point win over the Northern Territory at Casey Fields – Hooper is relishing the challenge of playing against the most talented youngsters in the country.

“It was a good experience - playing against the Northern Territory is always interesting,” he told afl.com.au.

“They’re a quick side and we were up for the challenge – we had a good win.”

Currently playing for the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup, Hooper has been in blistering form for Vic Country. His ability to read and set-up play across half-back or use his strength and skill in the midfield has impressed many onlookers.

“I’m going really well. I just want to keep playing consistent football,” he said.

Eligible for this years’ draft, Hooper was a member of the Vic Country side in the 2008 NAB Under-18 Championship. Despite this previous experience, Hooper acknowledges he still has areas he has to improve on to achieve his football dream.

“My endurance is an area I’m working on. I’ve got good endurance, but I still want to improve on that,” the 18-year old said.

“It’s something I have been working on all year – but in every aspect you have to keep improving.”

Hooper believes the confidence instilled in him by Vic Country coach Robert Hyde has been one of many reasons behind his sensational form.

“He [Hyde] has been just reinforcing the message of playing consistent footy, be hard at it, run and carry and take them on.”

“As I am a leader, I have to lead from the front and get the boys over the line.”

It is Hooper’s leadership around the ground that has also impressed at the titles, with the small defender thrilled to be leading the Vic Country side.

“It’s a great honour to come out and lead the ‘Big V’ – it’s nothing different for me,” Hooper said.

“I just want to get out there and play my normal game.”

Hyde is a admirer of Hooper, with his positive attitude and team-orientated play earning the respect and praise of the Vic Country coach.

“Little ‘Hoops’ - wherever we put him, he always does something,” he said.

Hooper, who is currently completing a pre-apprenticeship in building, hasn’t given much thought to draft day, and is instead focusing on letting his football do the talking.

“I’m not really concentrating on that at the moment – I’m just trying to play consistent footy up to the draft and hopefully I’m lucky enough to get drafted.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79548/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Anthony Morabito
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »
Morabito following Rich path
By Luke Holmesby Mon 29 June, 2009

TWELVE months ago Anthony Morabito was a bottom age player in a star-studded Western Australian side.

Now he is one of the big names in the side that has not conceded a game so far in this year’s NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Four WA boys were taken with the first seven picks at last year’s National Draft causing Morabito to realise an AFL career was a very real possibility.

“I set myself after last year. After seeing the older guys like Nicko (Nick Naitanui) and Richy (Daniel Rich) make that transition I thought I might as well set that as my goal,” he said.

“Last year I was coming in as a younger guy and we had the likes of Richy and Nicko and you are really in awe of them because they are such great players.

“This year we tried to get around the younger players a bit more and I think it has really helped.

“I’d say some of my best mates in the team are some of the younger boys.”

Morabito has spent much of the year playing for Peel Thunder in the WAFL after moving from Bunbury to Mandurah to give himself the best chance of getting drafted this year.

“I’ve been around the club. When you’re not doing a proper session you can do a weights session or recovery session. People around the club notice that and say ‘he’s get his head screwed on’,” he said.

Morabito is living by himself and is studying commerce at University while also trying to build a football career.

He admits his mum still makes the regular trip from Bunbury to help him with the cooking and cleaning while gardening is ‘not even on the agenda’.

But the 17-year-old is getting the hang of living away from home and in all likelihood will have to move to an even bigger city somewhere in Australia next year to kick off his AFL career.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79641/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Ben Cunnington
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
Ben Cunnington the latest Falcon to hit the scene
By Luke Holmesby Mon 29 June, 2009

PACY midfielder Ben Cunnington looks set to become the next highly-rated graduate of the powerful Geelong Falcons.

The Falcons are the most successful club in the 18-year history of the TAC Cup competition, having produced Jimmy Bartel, Luke Hodge, Jonathan Brown, Scott Lucas and Gary Ablett.

Cunnington is away from the Falcons for the minute as he shows his wares for Victoria Country in the NAB AFL Under 18 competition. But he is still keeping tabs on his club teammates.

“It is pretty surreal,” Cunnington said. “I’ve been working hard and trying to improve my game all the time. Back at the Falcons they are still going strong. They had another win yesterday. It will be good to go back there and hopefully we can have a good finals series.

“At the start of the year I was hoping to have a good consistent year with the Falcons. I didn’t really think about the state team.”

Cunnington has captained the Vic Country team, which has produced a mix bag so far in the carnival.

“All the travel with the Vic Country boys, a few of the boys were a bit tired in the legs. To their credit, South Australia played really good footy and they were better than us on the day.

“We bounced back against Northern Territory and played some good team footy,” he said.

Cunnington said there was a real camaraderie among the Vic Country team despite players having to travel from all over the state to attend training.

“We started training over summer. We only get together once a month for training. Robert Hyde and all the coaching staff have done well to get us together as a group,” he said.

Victoria Country takes on the undefeated Western Australia this Wednesday and while Cunnington admits his team are underdogs, he is expecting a competitive effort.

“They’ve been playing pretty good football over the carnival. If we all play as a team we should give them a good run.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79645/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Gary Rohan
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:32:13 PM »
Gary Rohan sets sail for draft
afl.com.au
By Matt Burgan Mon 29 June, 2009

SCULLY, Butcher, Trengove and Morabito are just some of the key names being talked about as months tick down towards November's NAB AFL Draft.

But as is the case each season, there are always those who rise up the pecking order as the year progresses.

One player who is certainly catching the eye of recruiters during this year's NAB AFL under 18 championships – and appears to be a first-round selection and potentially higher in the ranking – is Vic Country forward Gary Rohan.

According to Country coach Robert Hyde, formerly a Collingwood and Essendon player, there is a distinct reason why Rohan is attracting keen interest among the recruiting fraternity.

"It's because he's come out of nowhere," Hyde told afl.com.au.

"He wasn't on a list last year, and he's just one of those kids that generates [talk] because he runs, he's hard at it, and he just makes things happen.

"For him and his family, it's just fantastic. When he came in, he didn't know if he was good enough, but he's been probably close to our best player over the whole four games."

For the 18-year-old from Cobden, in Victoria's south-west dairy farming district, the journey from his local club of the same town name says the opportunity to play for the Geelong Falcons and now Vic Country has been overwhelming.

"I made Falcons and then I don't know how I made Vic Country – I didn't think I was good enough – but I've managed to hold my spot," the humble redhead told afl.com.au.

"Now it's going pretty good. There have been a lot of experiences for me, playing Falcons and Cobden."

Rohan, who said he was initially rejected by the Falcons (which is why this is his first full season in the 'system') believes he "got all of his talent" from his father, who played for the St Kilda reserves in 1985-86.

"I'd tried out for Falcons, but I was too small. Now I've built up a bit," he said.

"I wasn't going to go back, because I knew I wasn't going to make it, but Mum told me to go back and see how I'd go."

A Geelong supporter, who used to follow St Kilda when he was younger, Rohan is also a talented high jumper, having represented underage state teams. He is also a talented basketballer.

But now his focus is on football. And already he is making the sacrifices.

He makes a two-hour trek once a week, on a Thursday night, to train with the Falcons, but remains with Cobden on Tuesdays.

And now the lead-up half-forward, who possesses an outstanding vertical leap – as evidenced by a spectacular mark taken for Vic Country in a clash at Skilled Stadium earlier in the championships – is gaining momentum in his game. His footy smarts and hard running are also features of his play.

So how does he feel about being talked up as a likely first-rounder or top 10 pick?

"I don't think I'm that good. When I'm looking around the [change rooms], there are way better players than me. Everyone is doing the talking for me," Rohan said.

"I just worry about my footy – if it happens, it happens and if it doesn't, it doesn't. I'll be disappointed if I don't get drafted, but I'll still work hard and try next year.

"No one has really said anything to me, although I've had a letter from North Melbourne."

There appears little doubt that Rohan will receive more club correspondence as draft time comes closer.   

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/79639/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Falcons set to fly on draft day - Ben Cunnington and Gary Rohan (afl site)
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
Falcons set to fly on draft day - Ben Cunnington and Gary Rohan
By Ben Broad | Thu 27 August, 2009

GEELONG Falcons regional manager Michael Turner says the TAC Cup club has two potential top-five draft picks on its list.

The Falcons, coached by former Geelong champion Garry Hocking, are undefeated this season and will enter the finals as favourite to win this year’s premiership.

But as is the case with all TAC Cup sides, a premiership is almost an aside to how many players each club has selected come draft day.

In almost 15 years in his role, Turner has overseen the likes of Jonathan Brown, Luke Hodge and Jimmy Bartel graduate from TAC Cup to AFL level.

This year he believes eight to 10 Falcons will feature in draft calculations. But two players, in particular, stand out among this season’s Falcons crop.

Ben Cunnington and Gary Rohan are both likely to be selected in the top 10 at this year’s NAB AFL Draft with their ultimate ranking possibly dependent on how they go in September.

Both boys played senior football for Cobden before joining the Falcons. And both  represented Vic Country and won All-Australian honours at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

"Melbourne could do worse than taking both of those guys [Cunnington and Rohan] with their first two picks, to tell you the truth," Turner told afl.com.au.

"Cunnington’s the most professional kid I’ve seen but Rohan’s the most exciting kid I’ve seen.

"They’ll definitely be top 10, probably even earlier … as we know Hodge went No.1 [in the draft], Bartel went at pick no.8 and these kids are as good as they are."

Cunnington, the Falcons’ captain this season, was also a co-captain for Vic Country.

At about 186cm and 84kg he appears ready-made for senior AFL level. While predominately a midfielder, Turner says his ability to play almost anywhere has clubs salivating.

"I’ve had Hodge and obviously Bartel in the program and he’s very much a cross between them.

"We often play him off the back flank, he plays in the midfield and when we want to rest him he just goes down to full-forward because he doesn’t like coming off."

Cunnington booted five goals last week and has been a regular on the scoresheet in 2009.

"The thing that got Hodge the No.1 pick was the fact that he can play down back, play in the midfield and go forward and kick goals, and this kid is very much like that.

"He’s the most professional kid I’ve had in 15 years. He’s got a training bag, a match bag, he’s just super organised.

"Another good sign is after the national championships a lot of kids sort of taper off a bit, but the four games since then he’s been best on the ground every game."

Rohan is about 188cm and while sharing his teammate’s versatility, he possesses a certain X-factor that has drawn attention from all AFL scouts.

"He does things that I’ve never seen before," Turner said.

"He never made any of our squads until this year; he was very much a late developer.

"So there’s enormous upside to Gary Rohan because of the fact he’s a late developer and he’s only been in our program for five or six months."

Turner said this year had been a "headspin" for Rohan, who has come from nowhere to be vying for a top-10 pick in the draft.

"We cut him last year because he was a bit under-developed and let him go to Cobden," he said.

"He played in the backline there all year and did really well and then this year he’s come in and been a real revelation.

"He can play back, midfield on a wing or wherever and also go forward [because] he’s just super-quick.

"Kids like that are very appealing to clubs because they can play all over the shop."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83594/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2009 potential draftees - Jake Melksham and Jake Carlisle (afl site).
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
Jakes' stakes rise in Cannons' draft feed
By Ben Broad 2:08 PM Thu 03 September, 2009

Jake Carlisle reaches for a mark when playing for Vic Metro in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships

THE CALDER Cannons appear certain to continue their production line of elite-level graduates with two youngsters pressing their claims ahead of November's NAB AFL Draft.

The Cannons, who have had more than 50 players drafted to the AFL since joining the TAC Cup competition in 1995, will commence their finals campaign this weekend.

And recruiters are likely to hone in on two players – Jake Melksham and Jake Carlisle.

After representing Vic Metro at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, the pair has been invited to this year's draft camp in Canberra and are likely to follow in the footsteps of former Cannons such as Dane Swan, Paul Chapman and Brock McLean.

But regional manager Ian Kyte says just how high Melksham and Carlisle are taken in this year's intake remains to be seen.

Teammate Daniel Talia is considered a likely first-round pick – or at the very least a second-round selection – and Kyte believes the two Jakes could be held in similar regard come draft day.

Melksham, classified in the medium midfielder range for the draft camp later this month, is 184cm and around 75kg.

He has played the majority of 2009 with his school (Penleigh and Essendon Grammar) but talent scouts have taken a shining to what they have seen.

"He could be [drafted] anywhere from 10 to 30," Kyte told afl.com.au.

"I know there are two clubs that are really interested in him. One club sort of said if he's still there at whatever their pick is they'd take him and another bloke smiled at me and said, 'He won't be there'."

Kyte said Melksham, a graduate of the AIS/AFL Academy, had all the makings of an AFL player.

"He's very smart around the ball, reads the play well; they’re probably his greatest assets," Kyte said.

"His pace and his ability in traffic is pretty good, too. He seems to be able to get out of trouble really well.

"He had most of last year off with a bit of OP (osteitis pubis) but he’s through that now.

"We've tried to give him as easy a year as possible knowing that he was going to play school [footy], for Vic Metro and then play a few games with us as well."

Carlisle is a different proposition to Melksham but has been equally effective at TAC Cup level this year.

A recent convert to Australian football, the tall forward is 196cm and around 90kg and is tipped to be snapped up by an AFL club in the second or third round.

"He's a full-timer with us who was an elite cricketer," Kyte said.

"He played in the Dowling Shield in cricket and then had a year off cricket because he hurt his back. He then went back and played a little bit of footy and found he liked it."

The Cannons swooped on Carlisle last year and he hasn't looked back.

"He played six or seven games last year and has been amongst our best players this year," Kyte said.

"He's pretty green still. There's a lot of improvement left in him … if he's still there at the end of round two I'd be pretty surprised.

"But who knows? You can play with it and guess [where players are going to be selected] but until the names are actually called out, that's the only time you really know when they're going to go."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84120/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Brad Sheppard
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »
Sheppard's stocks rise
afl.com.au
By Nathan Schmook | Thu 10 September, 2009

DRAFT prospect Brad Sheppard has developed more than any other player in Western Australia's 2009 talent pathway, says WA Football Commission high performance coach Rob Wiley.

Sheppard, 18, is expected to figure in the first round of November's NAB AFL Draft after playing 15 senior games for WAFL side East Fremantle and earning All-Australian selection at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

He's one of five first-round fancies coming out of the state, alongside Kane Lucas, Anthony Morabito, Lewis Jetta and late bolter Aaron Black.

Wiley said Sheppard had improved enormously in the last 12 months and recruiters would be drawn to his potential.

"He's been in our talent pathway for the last three years and been one of these players that has juggled cricket and football," Wiley told afl.com.au.

"He decided at the end of last year's cricket season that he would concentrate on football and he's benefitted enormously from that decision because he's then been able to train specifically for football.

"He's really developed in many ways more than anyone else. That's why the recruiters can look at the potential there and [the benefits of] developing him in the AFL system."

Wiley said a good fitness base, natural talent and an ability to read the play had encouraged Sheppard's emergence in the WAFL this season.

The 186cm defender has pushed up the ground to play midfield roles for the Sharks and Wiley said he had the ability and athleticism to be groomed for a number of positions.

"He played across the midfield for East Fremantle, he played back for the state 18s and yet he played most of his junior football as a forward," Wiley said.

"He's a good height and can offer a lot in a variety of positions."

East Fremantle teammate Lucas, 18, is another player Wiley believes boasts the versatility desired by AFL recruiters. The All-Australian junior played 12 senior WAFL games this season.

"He's now experienced senior football this year, so that will hold him in good stead," Wiley said. "Recruiters will be able to see how he's measured up against men.

"He's got a lot to offer. He's a good size, has good running ability and is certainly a player that can play in a number of positions. He's not being stereotyped as purely a forward or a back.

"He's got a great ability to read the play and he certainly knows how to win the football. He's got good endurance and he's quite adequate in the pace."

Black, who enjoyed a promising end to his season with Peel Thunder, is making a late charge for the first-round intake.

The 18-year-old played three senior games to top off his season in the WAFL colts competition and could be one of the best tall options come November.

Wiley said Black had impressed with his marking, goalkicking and mobility.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84514/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Lewis Jetta
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
Jetta pushes first round claims
afl.com.au
By Nathan Schmook | Thu 10 September, 2009

DASHING WA youngster Lewis Jetta is firming as a first-round pick ahead of November's NAB AFL Draft after playing a starring role in week one of the WAFL finals.

Jetta, 20, appears set to follow in the footsteps of mature-age WA recruits Liam Anthony and elevated rookie Greg Broughton at this year's draft and he is swiftly building a reputation as a big stage performer.

The Swan Districts star had 26 possessions, three goals and seven inside-50s in his side's semi-final win over South Fremantle. He also booted three goals back in May when he represented WA against SA.

WA Football Commission high performance coach Rob Wiley said Jetta had enjoyed a wonderful year in the WAFL and he was enhancing his draft prospects by performing in big games.

"Recruiters look at many things, but being able to play at the next level and play when the stakes are higher probably holds a lot of value to them," Wiley told afl.com.au.

"He's had a wonderful year and he's certainly played well at the next level in the state game against South Australia. I'm sure he'll be a player highly thought of.

"He's doing everything right and he's had a very good, consistent year. His athleticism and his ability to have an impact on a game will bring the recruiters towards thinking he can be a valuable asset."

Jetta's line-breaking pace, penetrating kick and accomplished skills have him prominent in the minds of AFL recruiters, and Wiley said there was plenty of upside yet for the skinny youngster.

"That's always a tough call recruiters make, putting them into more professional set-ups and how much they will improve," he said.

"A good example is [Essendon's] Tayte Pears, who was recruited a couple of years ago and came from the country. He did okay, but he's now growing in stature as an emerging young backman. Being in the right environment will certainly improve their chances."

Jetta moved form Bunbury to Perth this season to play senior football with Swan Districts and Wiley said he had blossomed since making the move.

All-Australian junior Anthony Morabito also made the decision to relocate closer to Perth, moving from the state's south-west to Mandurah, where he could train regularly with WAFL club Peel Thunder.

Wiley said Morabito would fit comfortably in the draft's top six picks and both WA clubs would jump at the chance to recruit the exciting teenager. 

"His form in the WAFL in the early part of the year was certainly outstanding and he carried that through into the 18s and had an enormous impact," Wiley said of Morabito.

"Experiencing senior football and the fact that he was able to go through a pre-season has certainly set Anthony up for a good year and I'm sure attracted the recruiters' eyes.   

"He'd be similar to [Brisbane Lion] Daniel Rich where he's very physically mature. He has played well at senior level, so I'm sure he'll be highly thought of.

"From what I've seen he'd be a top half-a-dozen [pick] for sure."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84512/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardened young farmers make choice prospects - Cunnington and Rohan (Age)
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 04:30:41 AM »
Hardened young farmers make choice prospects
Brent Diamond | September 13, 2009

ON SEPARATE farms near the Victorian country towns of Princetown and Timboon, near Port Campbell, live two top-10 draft prospects from the Geelong Falcons - Ben Cunnington and Gary Rohan.

Both use their family farms ''like training bases'' in between almost continuous travel to Falcons training and have continued to follow the ''tough breed'' reputation that developed from Jonathan Brown's rise from Warrnambool.

''We always work a bit harder I reckon,'' Cunnington said. ''We're brought up on the farm and we just work around the farm … We're used to working hard and it's helped with our strength at footy. Stuff like milking cows, lifting things and fencing.''

Cunnington sounds like his Brisbane Lions hero Brown when he talks, but Falcons general manager Michael Turner says the gun midfielder is ''a cross between a Luke Hodge and a Jimmy Bartel''.

''That's how highly I rate him,'' Turner said.

He also described Rohan as ''probably the most exciting player I've ever seen''.

''The two to come out of that one area of Victoria is quite extraordinary,'' he said.

The two mates, however, have taken very different paths from playing a handful of games together at Cobden in the Hampton Football League, to now being eyed as the pick of the young Falcons this season.

Cunnington has been the obvious potential champion - identified at under-15 and under-16 level at Cobden, he booted nine goals in his second game at TAC Cup level as a 17-year-old last year.

Key-position prospect Rohan has been the battler after missing out on Falcons selection last season, before establishing himself as one of the competition's brightest stars this year.

''He [Rohan] is a bit of a late maturer,'' Turner said. ''He went on to play with Cobden last year in the back line and made our squad this year, and has achieved unbelievable things. He's just got unbelievable pace and athleticism and he's just got a huge amount of development in him.

''He's only been in our program for six months. When he goes to an AFL club he's still got an enormous amount of development in him.''

Both have since starred for Vic Country and made the All-Australian team. Certain to become an AFL player next season, Cunnington admits there is a pinch of pressure this time of year.

''There's a bit of pressure being the Falcons captain and top age player, but I like the pressure and just stepping up to the occasion,'' he said.

''I've had a few clubs contact me but I won't know until draft day.

''It would just be a dream come true.''

Today, coached by Garry Hocking, Cunnington and Rohan will be eager to keep the Falcons' premiership dream alive in a semi-final against Gold Coast.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/hardened-young-farmers-make-choice-prospects/2009/09/12/1252519681490.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lewis Jetta now racing up the draft rankings (Age)
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:27 AM »
Overlooked Jetta brother now racing up the draft rankings
Emma Quayle, Canberra | September 30, 2009

LEWIS Jetta is a small, speedy footballer with silky skills, who could be one of the first 15 players chosen in this year's national draft. He could even be gone by pick No. 7, if the Eagles are as keen as people seem to think they are.

Jetta was an instant hit at Swan Districts this year. He played every game for the senior team, and he got better as he went. He kicked three goals for Western Australia in a state game against South Australia, he scooped balls neatly off the ground, sprinted down the wings and kicked goals.

Before then, he was asked to fill in for one of the Eagles' pre-season intra-club games, playing on David Wirrpanda, and kicking two goals. ''That was like the biggest day of my life,'' he said. ''My whole family came along to watch. I think they were the only people in the crowd who were making any noise.''

Bigger things have unfolded, but Jetta hasn't exactly come from nowhere. Two years ago, after an ordinary season for Swan District's under-19 team, he still did enough to earn an invitation to a state testing day in Perth.

The clubs all had a look, but no one saw him as draftable. ''I was lazy back then, and my fitness was no good,'' said the 20-year-old.

At the end of preseason this year, his cousin Neville - who was drafted by Melbourne - and brother Graham moved into a house owned by the club, and Lewis began a groundskeeping apprenticeship.

''It was just hope back then, all I had was luck, but no one picked me up and I felt pretty down about it. I felt like I wasn't hard enough, so I went back to Bunbury, where the footy's a bit harder, to get my body knocked around a bit more and take some big tackles and hits. I got more used to the hard work and I got more confidence, just to attack the ball and put my head over it a lot more.''

Then came the next near miss. Late last year, Melbourne recruiting manager Barry Prendergast and one of his senior scouts, John Turnbull, travelled to Bunbury to interview Neville Jetta and Jamie Bennell, both of whom they eventually drafted.

On the day they were supposed to see Neville, he was four hours inland with his father, and their car had broken down. Lewis' dad went off to fetch them, so Lewis went along with Lynette, Neville's mother, to meet the two recruiters.

Lynette ran the pair through Lewis' CV, and Lewis told them about how he'd kicked 12 goals for Bunbury a few weeks earlier. ''She knows her footy, Lynette, and she was doing her best to talk him up,'' recalled Prendergast, who also remembers asking Lewis how he'd managed so many goals.

''He said he was playing on the wing. I said: 'The wing?' and he said 'Yeah, I just kept running down to catch it.' He wasn't too talkative, but Lynette kept promoting him and it's funny, because at that stage we weren't to know we'd be able to draft Neville and Jamie.

''We drove away. I was busy working through all our picks, and Lewis was a kid from Bunbury I'd never seen play. Then the start of the year came along, he started dominating for Swan District seniors, and I said to John: 'He was sitting right in front of us! We could have rookie listed him at No. 70!'

''So we watched him play, and he's obviously lightning quick and got a lot of talent. At that point, it was probably one of those things where you're so busy sorting through the draft, that you're not really looking for the smoky. Lynette obviously has a good eye for talent.''

Still, watching Neville and Jamie play together for the Demons, said Lewis, had helped him realise how much he wanted to do it. He still has a photo of the three of them as kids, playing for the same junior side, speaks to Neville most weekends and has felt a bit envious watching his games on TV. ''For them to be there together, it looks like so much fun,'' he said. ''I watch them on TV and I'm a bit jealous. I look at them and think that could have been me, but hopefully this year is my turn.

''I'd love to go and play at Melbourne with those boys, and see what we could do."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/jetta-brother-races-up-rankings/2009/09/29/1253989912728.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
Lucas relishes elite-level preparation
afl.com.au
By Luke Holmesby | Wed 30 September, 2009

Lucas impressed many scouts with his results in Wednesday morning's agility test but said that in his time at the AIS-AFL Academy it was his weakest area.

"I was pretty happy to get a good score today so I was pretty stoked with that," he said, before adding he was looking forward to Thursday's beep test and 3km time trial.

"My running ability is my strength – endurance and speed. I think I'm a natural ball-winner so moving forward this year has put a bit of versatility in my game so it has been a good learning curve."

Lucas said he was comfortable with the fact he would more than likely have to move to the other side of the country to pursue his dream of becoming an AFL player.

"I'm open-minded," he said. "Obviously staying home would make it easier to settle in. It's part of football and being a WA boy means a two in 16 chance you are going to stay home.

"You get your head around it pretty soon."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85530/default.aspx