Author Topic: 2009 potential draftees  (Read 19466 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Derick Wanganeen article (afl)
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
Wanganeen relying on talent, not name, at draft
afl.com.au
By Katrina Gill | Wed 04 November, 2009

WHEN people meet Port Lincoln teenager Derick Wanganeen for the first time there’s always one question they’re dying to ask…‘are you related to Gavin?’

For the record the answer is yes, but only distantly.

In fact, the pair has never met.

Wanganeen, 18, also has family ties to dual Brownlow Medallist Adam Goodes; Sydney Swans’ games record holder Michael O’Loughlin and Adelaide defender Graham Johncock.

But it’s his famous surname that’s brought the South Australian draft hopeful the most attention.

“Gavin and I are related somewhere down the track. I don’t know where. It’s hard to keep track of… my dad knows,” Wanganeen told afl.com.au.

“I’ve seen Gavin around a few times, but he probably wouldn’t know who I am.”

Wanganeen, who plays for the same SANFL club as his Brownlow Medal-winning namesake, the Port Adelaide Magpies, is hoping to track further in Gavin’s footsteps by being picked up in the NAB AFL Draft this month.

The lightly-framed wingman relocated to Adelaide at the start of the year to pursue his dream of having an AFL career.

He kicked 12 goals in 16 games with the Magpies’ U18s and was selected to represent South Australia in the U18 National Championships.

Wanganeen starred in the Croweaters’ win over Vic Country at AAMI Stadium, but struggled for consistency as his mind drifted to his mother’s ill health.

“My season was up and down. I started the season off slowly, but by the time the U18 championships came around I was going pretty well,” he said.

“Halfway through the championships my mum, who was back in Port Lincoln, got sick and not long after the champs she passed away. I started playing ordinary footy because I was missing my family and being back home at a pretty tough time.”

Wanganeen flew back to Port Lincoln for his mother’s funeral, but was able to return to Adelaide to finish the season with the Magpies.

He was invited to attend October’s NAB AFL Draft Camp but opted to stay in SA to prepare for the U18s grand final against Glenelg.

Wanganeen was the equal-shortest player (172cm) to be invited to the draft camp and hails from the famous football breeding ground of Mallee Park.

North Melbourne duo Daniel Wells and Lindsay Thomas, Carlton livewire Eddie Betts, Johncock, North Smith Medallist Byron Pickett and Wanganeen’s idol and new Hawthorn recruit, Shaun Burgoyne, all played junior footy for the Peckers.

Wanganeen said the success of such players had provided him with motivation for his own career.

“I grew up watching Lindsay and Graham play. I remember wanting to be like them,” he said.

“All those boys come from the same town and the same club as me and it made me think, if they can do it, well so can I.”

Wanganeen has been touted as a prospective second or third-round pick in the November 26 draft and has already been interviewed by North Melbourne and West Coast.

He said he was willing to move anywhere for an opportunity to play AFL football.

“I hope it happens for me. It’s out of my hands, but getting drafted has been my dream since I was a little kid.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86604/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Josh Thomas (afl)
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 01:38:12 PM »
Meet the draftees: Josh Thomas
afl.com.au
Wed 04 November, 2009

Height: 178cm
Weight: 70kg
DOB: 01/10/91
Recruited from: Broadbeach

Bio: Classy midfielder who wins plenty of contested ball. Pace, clean hands and sharp kicking skills on both sides of his body are all features of his game. Queensland U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 20-60

Watch Josh Thomas in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50949/josh+thomas+highlights/default.aspx

What type of player are you?
Predominantly an inside midfielder, I like to win the ball at stoppages and in traffic. I also like to find space and use my skill.

Which AFL player do you resemble, and why?
Trent Cotchin, wins it in and under, has clean hands and awareness. Also finds space and uses it well. Brings others into the game.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Clean hands, awareness and skills.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Develop elite endurance, have more confidence to run and carry, work forward of the ball more to kick goals.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Brisbane, I live in Brisbane.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad, he loves his footy and has supported me from my first game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86576/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Aaron Black (afl)
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
Meet the draftees: Aaron Black
afl.com.au
Thu 05 November, 2009

Height: 193cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 29/11/90
Recruited from: Kingsley (WA)

Bio: Athletic key forward whose excellent hands are a feature. Agility and awareness are also strengths. Western Australia U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 10-25

Watch Aaron Black in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50939/aaron+black+highlights/default.aspx

I feel I am a versatile player as I can play in a number of different positions. I am a positive, team player.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Paddy Ryder, as he is a versatile and athletic player.

My marking, reading of the play, athleticism, hard work ethic and kicking on opposite foot (left).

My physical strength and fitness.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them
I support West Coast as all my family members do.

My dad. He has always encouraged me and been positive about my football. He has taught me most things I know about football from a young age.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86577/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nothing average about Joe Dare (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2009, 06:20:27 AM »
Nothing average about Joe Dare
Sam Edmund | Herald Sun | November 06, 2009

SIX months ago Joe Dare was convinced his future lay as a dairy farmer.

It was the lifestyle he'd quit school after Year 11 to pursue; the lifestyle the middle son of Robyn and Dennis's five boys loved.

Then came football, a growth spurt and a rise to prominence so fast it has left not only his head spinning, but also those of AFL recruiters.

The rangy Geelong Falcons defender from Nalangil, outside Colac, has gone from an underdeveloped face in the crowd to a possible top 30 draft pick on November 26 after a dream season in the TAC Cup.

But, perhaps in a sign of how quickly his life has changed, Dare refuses to believe he is guaranteed anything on draft day.

And, while most kids who miss out are shattered when the years of hard work and dedication are not rewarded, 18-year-old Dare smiles at the thought of milking cows, ploughing paddocks and cutting silage as a second prize.

Clearly, this is not your average Joe.

"When you're younger, every kid says they're going to play AFL," Dare said.

"But because I was late developing and late growing, the maths didn't add up when you consider only about five Falcons get drafted each year.

"I could pick 20 kids who were better than me at under-15 and under-16 level. Back then, and even through this year, I was just playing footy because I like it. I wasn't playing to impress anyone.

"Then things sort of changed a bit."

The moment things changed for the 188cm, 81kg backman can be traced to the afternoon of July 18 - the day club scouts finally became aware he was 18 and not 17.

Dare had been in sparkling form all season, but recruiters had been put off because his age was incorrectly listed in the AFL Victoria Record.

"A couple of recruiters said, 'Isn't it a pity Joe Dare is 17 and only available to the Gold Coast?'," Falcons regional manager Michael Turner said.

"We were playing down in Oakleigh against the Chargers and (Swans recruiter) Kinnear Beatson came over and made the comment at the three-quarter time break, and I said, 'Well that's wrong, Kinnear, he's actually top age'.

"It's just Joe's laid-back attitude. We tell the kids to check all the details we have in the footy record that are in there every week and it just slipped through."

Dare is your typical unaffected country lad, but it was the birthdate error that caused his father, Dennis, to claim he might be too laid-back for his own good.

"I was just happy to get a game in Round 1 up in Bendigo and my Mum and I noticed they had my birthdate at 17/10/92 and not 17/10/91," Dare said.

"We didn't say anything. I didn't want to cause any trouble for anyone to have to change it, so I let it go and every week it was the same in every Record."

The laid-back approach extended to his choice of footwear as well, with Dare lucky to escape more serious punishment after turning up to an away game against Gippsland in Round 11 wearing Ugg boots.

"We had a big bus trip (to Morwell) and we had to be on the bus at 7am and I wore Ugg boots," Dare said.

"I had Ugg boots with a hole in them and Mick (Turner) wasn't happy. A couple of weeks before that I'd had a couple of reasonable games, and the boys thought I would have copped a bigger spray and been dropped if that hadn't happened.

"Then at the Oakleigh game (Round 15) I accidentally wore them again.

"I was walking from the car and I've seen Mick looking at my feet as I walked to the rooms, and I thought, 'Oh s--t'."

Coincidentally, the Ugg boot-wearing games were his best of the year in a season Turner admitted had exceeded all expectations.

Dare had made the Falcons squad in 2008, but missed the first 10 weeks after copping a knee in an already sore back in a practice match.

Underdeveloped and unable to get back in the team, he played the last nine games of the season for local club Colac and won the under-18 best-and-fairest.

But in his own words, an AFL career was nowhere on his horizon.

Then he grew 10cm in six months, setting the scene for the breakout 2009 season.

Dare won the Falcons' best-and-fairest this month, edging out midfielder Zach Ledin and utility Ben Cunnington, rated by many as a top-five draft prospect.

"I don't think Joe ever viewed himself as an AFL player," Turner said.

"At 15, 16, 17, he was very underdeveloped, but he grew a lot and matured.

"His dad was probably sitting back thinking he was going to get a bit more help with Joe taking on more at the farm, but I said that Plan B has come into effect and he better have a decent crack at footy.

"He's got a great attitude, wins his own footy, he's a fantastic decision-maker with good skills and he can really set up the play."

Several clubs agree, with Dare having his share of interviews, even though his upfront and blunt approach initially caught Collingwood representatives slightly off guard.

Magpies officials asked Dare how he would feel if he were drafted by the club, only for the teenager to respond with words to the effect of: "You either love Collingwood or hate Collingwood, and I barrack for Essendon, so you know where I sit."

Reminded of the interview this week, Dare laughed: "I then said that every footy club is full of good blokes and that's just the hat the public put on them.

"So that sort of smoothed it over."

He will know in less than three weeks whether an AFL club takes his life in a dramatic new direction.

But for now, any mention of the prospect is greeted with "if" not "when", and a heck of a lot of work at the Nalangil dairy farm.

"Dad just tells me to give footy your best shot because the farm is always going to be here at the end of the day," Dare said.

"Whether that's November 26, two years from now or even later, I'm going to do this in the end, I think."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nothing-average-about-joe-dare/story-e6frf9if-1225794832540

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: John Butcher (afl)
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2009, 03:51:08 PM »
Meet the draftees: John Butcher
afl.com.au
Fri 06 November, 2009

Height: 197cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 03/07/91
Recruited from: Maffra

Bio: Versatile key position prospect with great agility, pace and endurance for his size. Clean hands and contested marking are features of his game. Vic Country U18 representative in 2008/09 and an AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 5-20

Watch John Butcher in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50940/john+butcher+highlights/default.aspx

Tall key-position forward. Leading forward that is quick and agile for size.

Kurt Tippett / Nick Riewoldt - tall leading forwards that are agile and have good ball handling on the ground.

Pace and agility for height. Marking. Team focus.

Work rate - endurance. Strength. Consistency.

St Kilda - family have supported them.

Wayne Butcher (father) - introduced me to footy at a young age and taught me how to play. Supported me and has given me tips throughout my career.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86578/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Jake Carlisle (afl)
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
Meet the draftees: Jake Carlisle
afl.com.au
Sat 07 November, 2009

Height: 196cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 01/10/91
Recruited from: Craigieburn

Bio: Can play a variety of roles effectively. Strong hands, nice foot skills and an ability to read the play well are highlights of his game. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 5-20

Watch Jake Carlisle in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50941/jake+carlisle+highlights/default.aspx

Key-position, versatile player. Competitive, good reader of the game who gives a contest at all times.

Nick Riewoldt because he is a courageous, hard-working footballer who plays in the same position as I do. He constantly runs and demands the footy.

Marking, kicking for goal, presenting, good hand and foot skills.

Ground ball skills, below the knees, consistency, speed over 20 metres and agility.

Western Bulldogs as both grandfathers barrack for them.

My parents for their patience and understanding in driving me around and over the last 12 months Marty Allison / Ian Kyte from the Cannons who made me believe in myself and my ability to become a better footballer - I have learned a lot.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86653/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Ben Griffiths (afl)
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
Meet the draftees: Ben Griffiths
afl.com.au
Sun 08 November, 2009

Height: 198cm
Weight: 99kg
DOB: 17/09/91
Recruited from: Blackburn (VIC)

Bio: Rarely beaten in the air, has quick with clean hands below his knees and is an exceptional long kick for goal. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 10-35

Watch Ben Griffiths in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50942/benjamin+griffiths+highlights/default.aspx

A tall key forward who provides a good option on the lead and good below the knees.

Justin Koschitzke, because I'm big, athletic and try to break the packs similar to the way he breaks them, and I'm a pretty good mark.

I would say my cleanness below my knees, my kicking, and I'm pretty quick over the ground.

I really want to improve my endurance and agility for getting through traffic.

I follow Hawthorn, I came about this because my mum goes for them and so does her whole family.

Wayne McCraw, ex-Eastern Ranges coach. He showed a lot of faith in me in under-16s when I wasn't sure about whether to play footy or not. He gave me a lot of advice about my game and really helped me develop.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86654/default.aspx
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:58:36 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Matthew Panos (afl)
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
Meet the draftees: Matthew Panos
afl.com.au
Mon 09 November, 2009

Height: 192cm
Weight: 85kg
DOB: 25/01/91
Recruited from: Rostrevor College

Bio: Possesses good hands and is strong on the lead. Kicked 14 goals at the NAB AFL U18 Championships for South Australia, earning All-Australian honours. Noted for his accuracy in front of goal.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 15-rookie

Watch Matthew Panos in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/51006/matthew+panos+highlights/default.aspx

I am a forward who likes to lead up to the ball. Take contested marks and bring other teammates into the game.

Matthew Lloyd because we both have similar assets which include a good mark on the lead and accurate goal kicking.

Marking on the lead, accurate kicking for goal, good groundball skills.

Tackling, work rate, defensive pressure, second and third efforts.

Essendon. I have been barracking for them since I was in year one in 1997. I liked the way Matthew Lloyd played.

My family have been a big influence on my career because they have always supported me through good and bad times. Nathan Bassett has taught me a lot about positioning, work rate and what strategies I can use to beat my opponent.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86655/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Picks of the draft: Andrew Moore (Age)
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
Picks of the draft: Andrew Moore
Emma Quayle
November 10, 2009

FROM: Yarra Valley Grammar and the Eastern Ranges. Played for Vic Metro in the under-18 championships.

THE NUMBERS: Born May 30, 1991. 189cm, 86kg.

THE LOWDOWN: Moore looks good in a number of spots - as a high forward (think Ryan O'Keefe) or as a smart backman (a la Andy Otten). He has definite midfield potential, too. His key attributes are his clean, crisp hands - he's a great mark - and his sharp decision-making. He usually does the right thing.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: Moore ran a 2.7 20-metre sprint at draft camp, as well as the best right-foot running jump (85cm). He did a level 14.1 beep test and ran the three-kilometre time trial in 10 minutes, 43 seconds.

WHO WANTS HIM? The Bombers have some interest, and the Crows are thought to be very keen. It's hard to see him getting through the first round.

IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: Andrew grew up a Melbourne fan - until his older brother Kel was rookie-listed by Richmond.

WHO WOULD PLAY HIM IN A MOVIE? Dustin Hoffman. Mr Versatility.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/picks-of-the-draft-andrew-moore/2009/11/09/1257615001620.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Troy Taylor (afl)
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Meet the draftees: Troy Taylor
afl.com.au
Tue 10 November, 2009

Height: 188cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 12/09/91
Recruited from: South Alice Springs

Bio: Agile footballer with clean skills by hand and foot. Second efforts, ball-winning ability and marking are also features of his game. Northern Territory U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 8-25

Watch Troy Taylor in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50986/troy+taylor+highlights/default.aspx

Physical and strong.

Which AFL player do you resemble, and why?
Daryl White and Jared Brennan, I feel I have the skills that they have.

Marking, jumping, kicking and a team player.

Fitness

St. Kilda, because my father barracks for them.

Mum, coaches, team members and uncles. They have supported me mentally and have been positive at all times.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86656/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Jesse Crichton (afl)
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 03:05:17 PM »
Meet the draftees: Jesse Crichton
afl.com.au
Wed 11 November, 2009

Height: 183cm
Weight: 66kg
DOB: 18/06/91
Recruited from: North Launceston

Bio: Creative playmaker who has instinctive ability to find space in traffic. Ultra competitive with exceptional vision and awareness. Wins his own footy in the air and at ground level. Tasmania U18 representative in 2008/09. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 12-30

Watch Jesse Crichton in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/51007/jesse+crichton+highlights/default.aspx

An outside player that likes to play inside as well.

Lenny Hayes - really good player, good tackler, good skills and a good leader.

I think I'm a good outside player and I like to play inside as well. Hard runner, good skills and tackling for my size.

Kicking longer, fitness and being a leader.

St Kilda because my grandparents barracked for them.

Parents - really supportive, always taken me to games, training and lots of travel.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86657/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Jordan Gysberts (afl)
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
Meet the draftees: Jordan Gysberts
afl.com.au
Thu 12 November, 2009

Height: 188cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 11/06/91
Recruited from: Yarra Valley Grammar

Bio: Smart midfielder who wins plenty of his own ball. Rarely fumbles and uses the ball effectively by both hand and foot. Can go forward and kick goals. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2008/09. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 12-30

Watch Jordan Gysberts in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50958/jordan+gysberts+highlights/default.aspx

Inside midfielder who can play forward and back.

Jack Grimes because he's clean and makes good decisions with the ball.

Clean, bodylining the ball, handballing, kicking

Run and carry, fitness and speed.

Collingwood - family.

Brother - saw him as my role model growing up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86658/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jaryd Cachia article (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2009, 01:59:36 AM »
Jaryd Cachia no certainty after scaling great heights
Jon Anderson | Herald Sun November 13, 2009

TWO years ago Jaryd Cachia sat atop his teenage footballing world, co-captain of the Victoria Metro under-16 team alongside Tom Scully.

Two years on and Scully is likely to be the No. 1 or No. 2 pick in the national draft on November 26, and Cachia?

Well, he's like 40 or 50 other teenage boys, desperately hoping his name is called out by a club, any club.

To play AFL has been his dream since he understood the caper, which in his case was young given his grandfather Terry Benton played 77 games for North Melbourne in the No. 23 jumper between 1963-69.

The 18-year-old proved just how tough he was this year after perforating an eardrum in Round 2 of the TAC Cup playing for the Northern Knights.

Not wanting to diminish his chances of Metro selection, he taped his ears and played the following week, picking up 38 possessions as a midfielder against Sandringham Dragons. But it meant nothing when it came to state selection.

Cachia, a Year 12 student at St Kevin's, was shattered.

He admitted as much yesterday.

"To co-captain that under-16 Vic Metro side with Tom Scully is my biggest honour to date, but doesn't mean anything when it comes to the draft and I know that," said Cachia, who is 184cm and weighs 83kg.

"I first met Tom in a Victorian under-12 primary school team that played up in Cairns along with kids like Steele Sidebottom, Jack Ziebell, Jack Watts, Daniel Talia and Daniel Hannebery.

"Being in those teams when you are young was great and then this year I didn't get an invitation to the Vic under-18 Metro team for the national championships. I was told I wasn't a good enough kick.

"I don't think the coach liked me that much as a player and there were some very good midfielders. But I don't think my kicking is that bad. If there is a target I hit it.

"My coach this year at Northern Knights, Denis Pagan, told me at the end of the season one selector said maybe they should have picked me. Denis was very good for me.

"My left side needs work. And I have always been told I was a bit slow so I got a running coach and ran 2.96 seconds for 20m at state screening recently. In the beep test I got a 13.12."

Like most in his position, Cachia has spoken with a couple of clubs and will play anywhere.

And if it doesn't happen then he will play VFL with Northern Bullants.

get his head around the fact it may not happen.

"I think about it a fair bit and people ask you every day. I just say I'm playing a waiting game because most don't realise how hard it is and just what is involved," Cachia said.

If form means anything then Cachia should be right in the draft mix given he finished third in St Kevin's premiership team's best-and-fairest behind Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore, and fifth for the Knights despite playing only 10 games.

It just depends how much clubs want a really hard in-and-under stoppage king who tackles like a demon and does what he's told.

AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan sums him up thus: "Jaryd Cachia has enough tools to get himself on an AFL list, of that I have no doubt."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jaryd-cachia-no-certainty-after-scaling-great-heights/story-e6frf9jf-1225797110740

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Jake Melksham (afl)
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
Meet the draftees: Jake Melksham
richmondfc.com.au
Sat 14 November, 2009

Height: 182cm
Weight: 69kg
DOB: 29/8/91
Recruited from: PEGS

Bio: Well balanced with tremendous ball-winning ability. Strong and hard at stoppages with clean skills by hand and foot. Can play both inside and outside. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 8-20

Watch Jake Melksham in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50966/jake+melksham+highlights/default.aspx

Hard and courageous. Very competitive and also believe in my skills and ability.

Lenny Hayes because he is hard and has good skills but is not overly quick.

Ball winning ability, devision making and marking ability.

Goal kicking, disposal and consistency.

North Melbourne. My mum barracks for them.

Alan McConnell. He is a great coach and teacher. He makes things simple and easy to understand.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86660/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Fitzpatrick article (Age)
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2009, 01:30:55 AM »
Fitzpatrick is all ears on draft news on his graduation night
Brent Diamond | November 15, 2009

AFL draft hopeful Jack Fitzpatrick will have one ear tuned discreetly to a radio at his college graduation ceremony at Mooney Valley racecourse on Thursday, November 26. And he won't be the only one.

Mackillop College in Werribee has scheduled its graduation on the same night as the AFL national draft and Fitzpatrick, along with schoolmates and other Western Jets draft hopefuls Majak Daw, Joey Halloran, Jesse Fortune and Dion Lawson, are anticipating a nervous night. The plan is to smuggle in a radio, but don't tell the principal.

"It's going to be an interesting night because you don't want to miss out on your school graduation," Fitzpatrick told The Sunday Age. "But at every opportunity I'll be listening to the little portable radio. It will be a nerve-racking night."

Fitzpatrick, 18 and 201 centimetres, has had a testing few years on the football front. He professed to struggling at the national under-18 championships, and was then sidelined by a thumb injury.

But Fitzpatrick had had plenty of practice in coping with challenges and is into his fifth year in an ongoing battle with chronic fatigue syndrome - an illness he now believes he has under control.

Just four years ago, Fitzpatrick was limited to 20-minute walks at football training and battled through several crashes that confined him to bed for two to three weeks at a time.

He sought advice from former Brisbane Lions premiership player Alastair Lynch, one of his childhood role models who also battled the syndrome. "Seeing someone play AFL and play it very well with chronic fatigue syndrome was really inspiring," Fitzpatrick said.

Lynch said he had told Fitzpatrick about his experiences during his career. "It [the syndrome] hampered my athleticism early on," Lynch said. "Once I sort of got my health back, it was about understanding what is really needed for my body, nutritionally, recovery wise, preparation for events and I trained a lot different than what I did prior to the illness.

"Once I learnt how to monitor my body - with the support of the club as well - I could maintain a level that was good enough to stay out on the field," he said.

Lynch said he was an admirer of Fitzpatrick. "He's powerful and quick off the mark. He's tall and athletic," Lynch said. "I haven't seen a lot of him this year, but certainly there's been some big raps on him.

"He has the athleticism to play a lot of football."

Fitzpatrick, a fanatical Hawks fan, said he had managed the condition successfully and was now "close" to performing the same tasks at training as his teammates.

He said he had to make sure he "gets a sleep-in once a week or a really good sleep" and took regular ice baths at home as part of his recovery.

"I've just got to manage the body and make sure that I'm not overdoing it, so that I do feel the warning signs," he said.

"I'm doing almost the same amount of work as other kids my age now."

Fitzpatrick said his recovery was a credit to his support team - AFL and Australian Institute of Sport coaches Alan McConnell and David Dickson - plus 16-year-old brother Matt, who is a pint-sized version of Jack and "a pretty harsh critic".

Before the draft camp and after a two-month spell, Fitzpatrick was almost the forgotten tall, even though he had been widely rated in the top 20 in the draft market at the start of the year. Yet he managed an invite to the camp.

His aim there was to get as close as possible to the results of last year's No. 1 draft pick Jack Watts and he did, in fact, notch the second best result ever in the repeat sprints with a time of 23.91 seconds.

The prolific forward for the Jets and captain of the college football team has spoken to several clubs - including West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Melbourne - and has signed with player manager Paul Connors. He is likened to St Kilda's Justin Koschitzke and another Saint, Tom Lynch, who was taken at No. 13 in last year's draft, because of his strong hands and agility around the ground. He has also kicked several five and six-goal bags in his time at the Jets.

It is expected to be the Western Jets' best year at the draft - it has averaged two players drafted over the past three seasons - with Daw looking likely to become the first Sudanese AFL footballer.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/fitzpatrick-all-ears-on-draft-news/2009/11/14/1258043832286.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1