Author Topic: 2009 potential draftees  (Read 19464 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
Meet the draftees: Anthony Morabito
afl.com.au
Sun 15 November, 2009

Height: 190cm
Weight: 90kg
DOB: 29/10/91
Recruited from: Harvey Brunswick

Bio: Quick, versatile and super athletic winger who starred at NAB AFL U18 Championships, receiving WA’s MVP award and All-Australian honours. Pace, kicking and marking are all strengths. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 2-5

Watch Anthony Morabito in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/51009/anthony+morabito+highlights/default.aspx

What type of player are you?
Competitive and very disciplined.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Brett Deledio as a linebreaker.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Athletic ability.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Aerobic fitness and intensity.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
West Coast. My dad is a staunch Eagles supporter.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Chris Waterman. He is teaching me the game and the expectations of being an AFL footballer.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86661/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Fitzpatrick article (afl)
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
Jack Fitzpatrick - Chronic fatigue beaten in path to draft
richmondfc.com.au
By Jason Phelan | Sun 15 November, 2009

DESPITE a decade-long struggle with chronic fatigue syndrome, Jack Fitzpatrick looms as one of the most intriguing ruck prospects at this month's NAB AFL Draft.

Fitzpatrick's condition was brought on by a bout of glandular fever when he was just six and he deteriorated to the point where his parents had to lift him off the couch to use the toilet.

Fast forward 10 years and, through the advice of countless doctors and herbalists, Fitzpatrick learned to manage it well enough to progress from local club Wyndhamvale to the Western Jets.

But the sharp increase in intensity brought new challenges.

"I remember my first Jets pre-season where all I was doing was 20-minute walks around the oval bouncing the ball," he told afl.com.au.

"All the other kids who were trying out were doing three-kilometre runs and a ridiculous amount of sprints to the point where they were absolutely knackered and you just feel a bit guilty.

"You just want to be able to explain it to them, but it is hard."

The 18-year-old has learned the hard way that sometimes he just can't push himself to the limit like his peers.

"I'd be trying to do all the training like everyone else, but I'd take a few steps forward and then I'd have a few weeks where I just couldn't do anything and take a massive step back," Fitzpatrick said.

"Eventually after doing the walks I started joining in the warm-up, then did a couple of drills and it just sort of went from there. Now I'm basically doing everything and not feeling too bad, which is great.

"It's a fine line between knowing when your body is too sore or you're a bit too tired on the chronic fatigue side of things, or whether you are just a bit sore or a bit tired from a big run. You've got to know the difference.

"It's just about knowing the warning signs of it like having a bit of a cough or a bit of a cold and if it doesn't go away after a couple of days I'll think, 'Right, I'll need to ease off a bit or take a step back'."

Regardless, the tables have seemingly turned for the 201cm Fitzpatrick, who left many recruiters at last month's NAB AFL Draft Camp impressed with his speed and endurance.

He recorded a 13.2 beep test, led the rest of the field home in the gruelling repeat sprint exercise and ran a lightning-quick time of 2.96sec in the 20m dash.

Input from others has encouraged Fitzpatrick's progression, particularly that of Alastair Lynch whose very public battle with chronic fatigue syndrome started as his AFL career neared its peak.

A chance conversation at the AIS-AFL Academy with Lynch's former teammate Michael Voss, who was coaching there at the time, led to Fitzpatrick's first contact with the Brisbane Lions triple premiership player.

"We've spoken a few times since then and he's been fantastic," he said.

"He's given me plenty of advice and I've really enjoyed my chats with him especially given the fact that he's been my idol for the last 10 years of my life.

"He's been brilliant. He just gives me a few tips here and there and has just given me the knowledge that someone has done it before and gone a long way with it. Hopefully I can, too."

There's a good probability that Fitzpatrick will be given the opportunity to emulate his hero with many confident his name will be called in the middle to later stages of a draft very tough to predict.

Fitzpatrick is keeping an open mind but knows his condition won't stand in the way of his dream.

"No matter what other people say you still can do it," he said.

"You've just got to manage yourself properly and work through it. Do the best you can because the proof's in the pudding that it can be done. Just have a crack and play footy each weekend and go from there.

"Seeing someone like Alastair Lynch, who has battled through it as well, you just look up to blokes like that and think, 'Well, if he can do it…

"It gives you so much more inspiration and belief that you can."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86971/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Picks of the draft: Aaron Black (Age)
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 02:50:48 AM »
Picks of the draft: Aaron Black
November 16, 2009

FROM: Peel Thunder, where he managed two senior games this year. Played his junior football at Kingsley.

THE NUMBERS: Born November 29, 1990. 192cm, 82kg.

THE LOWDOWN: Black fits two draft-time stereotypes: he's a late bloomer, who didn't come through the WA state programs and really started to emerge only around the middle of this year once he was concentrating full-time on football. He's also your classic ''versatile tall'', who has played at both ends of the ground, can mark under pressure and stay involved in the game when he's playing up the ground.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: Black's standing vertical jump (70 centimetres) was fourth best at the draft camp behind another three tall players - James Craig (76cm), and Sam Shaw and Tom Hill (both 75). His left running jump (78cm) was just behind the Northern Territory's Mitchell Taylor (79cm) and equal with midfield pair Lewis Jetta and Kane Lucas. Black ran the 20-metre sprint in 3.03 seconds, notched a good time in the repeat sprints (24.86 seconds) and did his time trial in 11 minutes 28 seconds. Scored 22/30 in the new kicking test, to finish equal second.

WHO WANTS HIM? Sydney would be having a good look: Lewis Johnston, Jesse White aside, the Swans need to get some more good young talls. Port Adelaide will have considered him too, for exactly the same reason, but it's suspected he will end up at either Melbourne (pick 11) or Carlton (pick 12), both of whom are slowly building some youthful depth at both ends of the ground.

IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: Black played basketball seriously until recently, and his coaches believed he had the potential to play at college level in the US.

WHO WOULD PLAY HIM IN A MOVIE? Robert Pattinson (Twilight). Has burst on to the scene to huge popularity.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/picks-of-the-draft-aaron-black/2009/11/15/1258219754097.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ryan Bastinac article (afl)
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »
Key prospect emerges from the shadows
afl.com.au
By Ben Broad | Mon 16 November, 2009

HIS HIGH-profile teammate might be getting all the attention, but some at the Dandenong Stingrays believe midfielder Ryan Bastinac's ability rivals that of the likely No.1 pick in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Bastinac is a teammate of Tom Scully and has therefore spent not only much of this year in the shadow of the man tipped to go first in the draft, but indeed much of the past few seasons.

However that hasn't stopped him making his own big impression.

Recruiters have taken a shining to his hard running and clean ball use, with the ballwinner likely to be selected either late in the first round or early in the second when AFL clubs meet for the national draft on November 26.

Stingrays regional manager Darren Flanigan doesn't see a lot between his club's two star midfielders.

"They [Scully and Bastinac] played a lot of junior footy together in rep teams," Flanigan told afl.com.au.

"I remember in trial games that we actually had to take them off the ground because between the two of them they'd get the ball from one end to the other and no-one else would get a touch, so we always rated Ryan really, really highly.

"He probably hasn't received the accolades that Tom has, but as far as his ability [there's no doubts] … he's always on the same lap as Tom in the 3km time trial and there's very, very few players who can do that. His time at the draft camp was outstanding.

"His skills are equal to if not better than Tom. He probably hasn't got the explosiveness and the lateral movement that Tom's got, but he's hands are outstanding, his skills are outstanding and inside he's fantastic."

Bastinac impressed throughout the TAC Cup season for Dandenong, while also playing his part for Vic Metro in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

But perhaps he showed his true class in the TAC Cup grand final when, minus his fellow co-captain Scully, he led the Stingrays superbly.

While his side ultimately fell just short, Bastinac was sublime in the decider with 24 disposals and a goal, confirming what those in the industry already suspected - that he is likely to become a genuine A-grader at the top level.

Bastinac's showing in the grand final had recruiters salivating, and his efforts at the NAB AFL Draft Camp in Canberra further emphasised his athletic ability.

He was second in both the beep test (recording a 15.1) and the 3km time trial, scorching around the course in 10.03.

"He can play off the half -back flank, can play half-forward as he did in the under-18 nationals this year and he's just got an amazing work-rate," Flanigan said.

"He played mainly midfield with us, but his endurance is outstanding.

"I think he'll go late first [round], early second. He's going to be a fantastic AFL player."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87145/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Picks of the draft: Jake Melksham (Age)
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2009, 03:35:53 AM »
Picks of the draft: Jake Melksham
Emma Quayle | November 17, 2009

THE NUMBERS: Born August 29, 1991. 185cm, 75kg.

THE LOWDOWN: Melksham, who had just recovered from a bout of osteitis pubis at the start of this season, flew home and was best on ground in the TAC Cup grand final. Watch the first five minutes and you'll appreciate how good he was when it mattered - he kept finding the ball. Melksham is a midfielder who can both win his own ball and use it nicely when fed to him outside the packs and his kicking can be sublime - when he's on, he can weight the ball to teammates perfectly. He's not overly speedy, but he's quick enough and he's smart enough to get to the right spots. AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan has likened him to Lenny Hayes and it is an apt comparison.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: Melksham's recorded 65cm (right) and 69cm (left) running jumps at draft camp. His 2.99 20-metre sprint was impressive, so was his 8.16-second agility run and his level-14.5 beep test. He has all the athletic tools.

WHO NEEDS HIM: Any club wanting a midfielder - and knowing Scully, Trengove and Martin are out of bounds - would have taken a good look at Melksham. The word is the Bombers are very keen, but the other word is that Port Adelaide likes him a lot. He won't survive the first round in any case, and it's difficult to see him getting past both those clubs.

IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: Melksham had the lowest skinfolds at draft camp - 30.9.

WHO WOULD PLAY HIM IN A MOVIE? George Clooney. He's smooth.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/picks-of-the-draft-jake-melksham/2009/11/16/1258219800268.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Koby Stevens (afl)
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
Meet the draftees: Koby Stevens
afl.com.au
Tue 17 November, 2009

Height: 187cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 18/06/91
Recruited from: Lucknow

Bio: Tough, inside midfielder with ferocious attack on both ball and player.  Contested ball-winning ability and strong hands overhead are strengths. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009 and AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's drafter rating: 12-20

Watch Koby Stevens in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50976/koby+stevens+highlights/default.aspx

An inside midfielder who also has an outside game. Can switch between back and forward.

Joel Selwood. Hard attacking player with great defensive pressure and a good mark with skills.

Attack on the ball and players marking. Endurance, defensive pressure, mental strength, skills and stoppage work.

Speed for the first five metres, kicking on my opposite foot and follow up running.

Richmond. My family supports them and brought me up to barrack for them too.

My father. He coached me all my junior career. Nathan Buckley and Alan McConnell have plenty of knowledge for me to pick up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86663/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Yes, Serhat: smarts put Temel front and centre (afl)
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »
Yes, Serhat: smarts put Temel front and centre
afl.com.au
By Ben Broad | Tue 17 November, 2009

SERHAT Temel might not have the running ability of Tom Scully but if this year's NAB AFL Draft pool was judged purely on kicking and marking, he would have a case to be the first player chosen.

The Calder Cannons forward is a throwback to the old-fashioned footballer, when nous and know-how could be amply substituted for speed, agility and a V8-sized engine.

When assessing potential draftees, AFL clubs search for the right balance of speed, fitness and undoubted football skill.

Temel, it seems, has enough of the latter. It's now a matter of whether weakness in the first two categories proves a stumbling block in his quest to go to the next level.

He wasn't invited to the AFL's draft camp in Canberra but instead went to the Victorian state screening session.

"He probably wouldn't be jumping out of his skin with any of his results or anything like that and people will argue that perhaps that [his athleticism] is what might go against him," Cannons football manager Len Villani said.

"I think he was a bit disappointed about [them] and thought he could have done a bit better."

Temel's beep test result of just over 10 would be at the lower end of the players vying for a spot on an AFL list come November 26.

But Villani says after two years at TAC Cup level, Temel started to see reward for his efforts towards the end of the season.

"There's that argument that he might struggle a bit with his leg speed but you don't see him getting beaten on the lead too often," he said.

"We've been drumming into him the last couple of years that those are the things that he needs to work on, his work rate and that type of stuff, his defensive game.

"He's starting to turn the corner a little bit I think in that regard, and just his last four or five weeks of the season were out of this world."

The 18-year-old would have been on the periphery of clubs' sights after a solid TAC Cup season with the Cannons.

But by the end of the finals, he had flown up the charts - and with a bullet.

At 195cm, Temel can play at either end of the ground. He first made the Vic Metro squad as a backman before missing selection for the national championships.

However, he switched back to his more familiar forward role mid-season and it was in the finals that things clicked.

All the Cannons had to do was kick it near their burly forward and he'd do the rest.

Despite playing in defence for part of the season, Temel finished with 54 goals with a staggering 26 of those coming from his last five matches.

His finals tally included hauls of eight, seven, two and a superb five goals in Calder's grand final win, when he was among the best afield.

"He probably took on the top half a dozen defenders in the country (in that time) if you like and he pulled their pants down," Villani said.

"He was very impressive and he beat them hands down. He was just unstoppable.

"He's just so smart and I don't think I've seen a better pair of hands, to be honest, since I've been down here the last four or five years.

"I remember Darcy Daniher was one who really stood out with his hands - they were just sensational - but I think he (Temel) is just a level up on that again."

Temel was named the Cannons' best finals player and also finished third in the club's best and fairest count.

Fellow Cannons Jake Melksham, Daniel Talia and Jake Carlisle are likely to be picked up in the top 20 on draft night and though a couple of clubs have recently expressed interest in Temel, he won't be selected as high as his teammates.

Villani just hopes his natural forward gets his chance.

"I think they're sort of at the stage where they're starting to move back towards just picking good footballers," he said.

"It'd be a brave club not to sort of consider him late third [round], fourth round or at least as a rookie prospect.

"I think he's got a lot to offer, particularly in this draft where there's probably a pretty weak pool for those key position, 195cm-type blokes."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87199/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Picks of the draft: Ben Cunnington (Age)
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 02:10:29 AM »
Picks of the draft: Ben Cunnington
Emma Quayle | November 18, 2009

FROM: Geelong Falcons. Lives in the small town of Princetown.

THE NUMBERS: Born June 30, 1991. 185cm, 84kg.

THE LOWDOWN: Cunnington has become known for his attack on both football and opponent, but don't think that's all there is to him. His kicking could improve but he has very safe hands and he can put them to good use in the forward line. He averaged a goal a game in the national championships before striking top form in the last month of the TAC Cup season, averaging 25 disposals and 2.4 goals a game in the final six rounds. He takes strong marks under pressure, often against bigger opponents, and the Falcons rave about his fanatical preparation and attitude.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: Cunnington wasn't able to test at draft camp due to a hip injury received during the TAC Cup finals.

WHO WANTS HIM? There has been some vague talk that Freo likes him, but it will likely opt for local Anthony Morabito. He seems a fairly safe, sure bet for North Melbourne at No. 5, where he could team up with Jack Ziebell for years to come. If North lets him through, it's unlikely Cunnington would get past Sydney at No. 6.

IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: Cunnington grew up a North Melbourne supporter but jumped ship and became a Brisbane Lions fan when he was about 10.

WHO WOULD PLAY HIM IN A MOVIE? Kiefer Sutherland (in the style of Jack Bauer). Tough, yet skilled in many areas.

Will decapitate anyone who gets in his way.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/picks-of-the-draft-ben-cunnington/2009/11/17/1258219839856.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Ryan Bastinac (afl)
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
Meet the draftees: Ryan Bastinac
afl.com.au
Wed 18 November, 2009

Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg
DOB: 22/06/91
Recruited from: Rowville

Bio: Smart inside midfielder with terrific contested ball winning ability. Vision, awareness and clean hands in traffic a feature. Clean foot skills off both sides other impressive assets. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 10-25

Watch Ryan Bastinac in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50968/ryan+bastinac+highlights/default.aspx

I am a midfielder. I rely on my run, ball use and decision-making.

Scott Pendlebury because he is a good ball user, decision-maker and is evasive. Looks like he has a lot of time when he has the ball.

My decision-making, ball use on both sides of my body and my endurance.

My strength and power.

I support the Richmond Tigers. Mum barracks for the Tigers and one of Dad's mates played for them who pushed me to follow them.

My dad because he's always been there to support and encourage me. He has always given me good advice and helped me through my football.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86666/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Picks of the draft: Gary Rohan (Age)
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009, 03:31:54 AM »
Picks of the draft: Gary Rohan
November 19, 2009

THE NUMBERS: 188 centimetres, 82 kilograms.

THE LOWDOWN: Rohan is tall, quick and capable of doing the things you least expect him to do. Out of nowhere he'll be up on someone's back taking a big mark or flashing out of a pack. Not everything works out perfectly, but he tries new things and he has an ability to make things happen, which not all that many players in this draft have. He's played both half-forward and in defence, but has some midfield potential, too.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: Rohan's running jumps (68 centimetres for his right foot and 75 for his left) put him in the top group of players at draft camp. He did a 2.93-second 20-metre sprint and ran the three-kilometre time trial in 11 minutes 14 seconds.

WHO NEEDS HIM: Fremantle and North would be looking fairly hard, but may opt for Anthony Morabito and Ben Cunnington. He then comes into the mix for Sydney at No. 6, and it could do with his flair. Port, with picks 8 and 9, would probably consider him too good to overlook.

IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: With no under-12 team at his football club several years ago, Rohan instead starting playing centre for the netball team. He beat his older sister Stacy by one vote in the best and fairest.

WHO WOULD PLAY HIM IN A MOVIE? Jim Carrey. A bit zany, madcap.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/picks-of-the-draft-gary-rohan/2009/11/18/1258219881450.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Mitchell Duncan (afl)
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »
Meet the draftees: Mitchell Duncan
afl.com.au
Fri 20 November, 2009

Height: 188cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 10/6/91
Recruited from: Trinity College

Bio: Lead-up forward who presents well, is strong overhead and makes good decisions with the footy. Strong performer for WA at NAB AFL U18 Championships earning All-Australian honours. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 15-40

Watch Mitchell Duncan in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/51003/mitch+duncan+highlights/default.aspx

I'm a versatile player and I believe I can play in a variety of positions. A player that works hard and is competitive who loves to link up and provide the forward with a great kick or kick the goal.

Andrew Embley - ability to play from half-back to half-forward and believe his run and link are a lot like mine. He works hard at both ends of the ground and has great finishing touch. I believe I have those attributes.

Skills, football knowledge, decision making, leadership, kicking on goal.

Tackling, defensive pressure, focusing for four quarters.

Essendon / Collingwood. I came around barracking for Essendon because I was a big fan of James Hird and for Collingwood because I just love the way they play - it's so exciting to watch. I reckon the Bombers are playing like that now too so it's good.

Mum and Dad. Mum because she has brought me up and did so much for me and was supportive so it's great to be giving her back what she has put into me. Dad because I have heard he had so much talent and just got caught up in the wrong crowd so I want to show him I can make it the whole way.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86668/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Aaron Black good thing for first round (afl)
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »
WA tall good thing for first round
afl.com.au
By Nathan Schmook | Fri 20 November, 2009

A BOLD decision to turn his back on two American basketball scholarships is about to pay off for Aaron Black, with the talented West Australian rocketing into first round prominence ahead of next week's NAB AFL Draft.

Black, a versatile tall from Eaton in south-west WA, has juggled football and basketball ever since he started playing both sports as an 11-year-old, but success in each kept him from choosing a clear direction until the 2008 season.

Ironically, it was a US basketball tour late in 2007 that, while presenting the sporting all-rounder with the unique opportunity to play college hoops, ultimately pushed him towards football.

"He toured America in the Christmas of 2007 and from the coach's point of view he acquitted himself very well and was [offered] a couple of scholarships," Black's father, Doug, explains. "But when he came back he decided football was the way he wanted to go."

It is now expected Black, who turns 19 three days after the draft, will be recruited by Melbourne (pick No.11) or Carlton (No.12).

But for the player regarded as the bolter of this year's pool his past two seasons still remain shrouded in mystery.

His low profile rise from country junior to possibly the best tall draft prospect in the land began when he decided not to play in the WAFL colts competition in 2008.

Peel Thunder coach Michael Pratt had just crossed from Victorian TAC Cup side the Western Jets and identified the apprentice carpet-layer as a player he wanted in his development side.

He couldn't convince Black, who was working full-time under his dad in Eaton, to commit to the constant travel required to play in the state competition that year.

However, he tracked the youngster in the country through 2008 and witnessed a few "spectacular things".

"He kicked 10 goals in the final of the Landmark WA Country Championships and he actually played in three successful grand finals in 2008," Pratt said.

Doug Black remembers his son's 10-goal Landmark performance well and marks it as the point AFL clubs first showed interest.

"There were a few people talking at that stage and we thought, 'Hang on we've got an opportunity here'," he said.

"Then he played in the Eaton 17s grand final, got best on ground in that one, and then he played in the Eaton colts grand final and got best on ground in that one. At that colts grand final there was a Richmond scout."

Recruiters were all aware of Black from halfway through the 2008 country season, but it was his move to play WAFL colts with Peel in 2009 that would launch him into draft calculations.

Black had never been a part of the state development programs, but Pratt remembers assembling his colts squad for pre-season training and immediately seeing a potential AFL player.

"We were pretty excited when he said he'd come up for the 2009 season," Pratt said.

"He's just a terrifically talented kid. Pre-season I thought he had the skills of an AFL player."

For all his promise, things didn’t go to plan early in 2009 for Black. He missed three early games and continued to break down with niggling injuries.

"He was showing some really good flashes but we just couldn't keep him on the park," Pratt said. "I put a lot of that down to it being his first formalised pre-season."

After riding the early bumps, Black was able to get his body right. Then, late in June, came the breakout game his father had been waiting for.

Against Subiaco, Black had 29 possessions, 14 marks and booted 6.4 in rain and wind.

"You could just see his confidence growing throughout that game and from there he really started to take the competition by the scruff of the neck," Pratt said.

North Melbourne had already made contact with Black before that game, and the Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Collingwood and West Coast would all make the trip down to Eaton shortly after.

Every AFL club has now met with Black, and Pratt is not surprised after watching his former colt excel at league level for the final three games of 2009.

"When he went up to play senior footy, his last two games were outstanding," Pratt said.

"You look at the votes from our fairest and best night and out of the maximum 36 votes for the last two games, he's picked up 35. It was just an unbelievable performance."

Black excelled at October's NAB AFL Draft Camp, finishing second in the new kicking test, and he suddenly finds himself on par with other WA first-round hopefuls Anthony Morabito, Lewis Jetta and Kane Lucas.

"Aaron does a few things that other players can't do," Pratt said. "His ability to gather the ball below his knees for a 193cm player is just outstanding - other players can't do that.

"His hands and his marking ability are really exceptional and he's just a beautiful kick of the footy."

For Doug Black, it is his son's understanding of space - a skill picked up before football was his priority - that is most impressive.

"I think with basketball that definitely helps - if you don't know where to go in basketball you just don't get the ball," he said.

"On the footy field he just knows where to run."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87288/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Max Gawn, not forgotten (afl)
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »
Gawn, not forgotten
afl.com.au
By Luke Holmesby | Sat 21 November, 2009

THERE is never an ideal moment for a footballer to rupture an anterior cruciate ligament but Max Gawn’s timing was worse than most.

Gawn went into the 2009 campaign with TAC Cup team Sandringham Dragons knowing he was a slight chance to be drafted. A combination of height and athletic ability meant plenty of AFL recruiters would be following his progress throughout the year.

But on May 2, in just the fourth game of the season, Gawn went down with a knee injury against the Geelong Falcons.

The initial diagnosis was that he suffered just a minor jarring and would probably be able to return to the field that day. He didn’t return and over the next few days he consulted three other specialists, two of whom said his knee was fine.

But an MRI scan confirmed the worst. Gawn had ruptured his ACL and would require a knee reconstruction that would bring a premature end to his final season of junior football.

The 18-year-old said those few days of swinging between the best and the worst diagnoses was emotionally draining.

“The first two weeks or so I was pretty upset and didn’t know what was going on. I was more upset that I couldn’t play for the rest of the year or play soccer at lunch time. I was still thinking footy as a career wasn’t a huge chance,” Gawn said.

“I think Mum struggled the worst. For a month there I reckon she was pretty upset. But I got a call from my manager (Anthony McConville from Macs Sports) who had been speaking to Carlton and they said it made no difference.”

Former ruckmen Luke Darcy and Paul Salmon, who both suffered serious knee injuries during their careers, contacted the McKinnon Secondary student to reassure him that all was not lost.

“I had a lunch with Luke Darcy because he’s done two knees. He said it is a lot harder for us big blokes to get into it because we do the ruck work and we always land on it and twist in the ruck,” he said.

“I also had a talk to Paul over the phone. It was all about lifting my hopes and telling me it wasn’t over. They were both pretty good to talk to.”

Gawn might not have played much football in the past 12 months but he still managed to impress AFL clubs because of his imposing size.

In just 18 months, the ruckman has grown eight centimetres and put on 20kg to stand an imposing 208cm and 104kg.

This season he became the tallest player to attend the NAB AFL Draft Camp in its 16-year history.

“I was always the second or third tallest in my class but in year 10 and 11 I absolutely grew and had a couple of centimetres on the closest guys to me.  I just grew, especially this year more than ever.”

A recent meeting with his surgeon has confirmed that Gawn’s knee has made rapid improvement since the reconstruction in June. His prolonged absence hasn’t scared off potential suitors as he spoke to 10 clubs at the draft camp.

Since then, representatives from Melbourne, North Melbourne, Fremantle and West Coast have visited him at his McKinnon home.

And every single club kicked off the interview with the same question.

“The first question everyone is how is the knee, how is it coming along and how did I deal with it, all that kind of jazz,” he said.

“None of them seemed that worried.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87201/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mid-season rethink gives Serhat Temel a shot at the big time (Age)
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2009, 02:18:48 AM »
Mid-season rethink gives young Cannon a shot at the big time
Brent Diamond | November 22, 2009

A MID-SEASON heart-to-heart led to the transformation of Calder Cannons' Serhat Temel from a defender not considered good enough for the Vic Metro team to a high-flying forward rated by his coach as one of the best of his age in the country with a genuine prospect of being drafted into the AFL this week.

Temel, who stands to become only the second Turkish-born AFL footballer, began the season as a roaming backman, on Metro coach Rohan Welsh's advice to the Cannons' Martin Allison, so that he could learn how to play a key position.

Welsh overlooked Temel for the rep team mid-season, saying he was not agile enough. It was then that Temel, his father and Allison negotiated a move forward that yielded 54 goals, including 22 in four finals, culminating in a premiership.

He kicked eight in the first final, seven in the second, two in the preliminary final and five in the grand final win at Etihad Stadium,

proving he has what it takes to perform on the big stage.

"But those two [preliminary final] goals were equal to his eight and seven in previous weeks because we played him up as a high, hit-up forward around through the midfield," Allison said.

"He's a monster. He's 195 [centimetres] and 90 kilograms. He's pretty agile when he's got the footy. He's got the agility; people should be able to see that. I think he'll be one of the good stories out of the draft.''

Temel's mid-season round-table was both a reality a check and a turning point. "He played a game against the Murray Bushrangers after round 11 and he wasn't sticking with our team plans," Allison said.

"We had a chat with him and his dad afterwards, a bit of a reality discussion and we just told him where we thought he was and what he can do to improve."

Temel knew he would be a better performer at home as a forward.

"I wasn't pleading to go up to the forward line," he said. "At that stage we didn't have many forward options. But if I didn't go up forward, I probably wouldn't be in the situation that I'm in right now."

Temel has since been on the radar of several AFL clubs including the Western Bulldogs.

Draft expert Kevin Sheehan said Temel was one of few power forwards in a weak talent pool. He is touted as a late draft selection or a rookie prospect with clubs knowing that a fitter Temel could become a star.

Recruiting managers shied away from Temel because of his low score of 10.8 on the beep test at the state screening.

"He's one of those 18-year-olds that needs to know how to work harder but … he's got loads of talent," Sheehan said.

Some have compared him to a Dean Rioli given his freakish goalkicking abilities.

The Strathmore Secondary student says he has been motivated as a forward by retired Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd. He would become only the second Turkish-born AFL footballer, following Footscray's Sedat Sir.

Temel is a throwback to the old-fashioned full-forward where goals were more important than defensive pressure in the forward line.

It took some time to convince his family that Aussie rules was his game. His family, father Ismail, mother Birsen and younger sister Sinem, migrated to Australia when Temel was 10 months old. Being from Turkey, soccer was their chosen sport. Temel began playing the round ball game when he was nine. But he also began playing junior football at Pascoe Vale, winning five consecutive leading goalkicker awards. He almost quit Aussie rules, however, after missing out on Calder Cannons development squad at 16 when he was already a massive figure at 185 centimetres and 81 kilograms.

He has always been the big forward and go-to man in his career where he has also been crowned leading goalkicker at the Cannons for the past two seasons.

He also finished third in this year's club best and fairest.

"I was close to giving up footy and going back to soccer," he said.

"But I used that to motivate me and prove everybody wrong and I think I have proved a lot of people wrong this year."

Religion has never been an issue for the Temel family until now, where they will pray every day until they hear Serhat's name read out at the draft.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/midseason-rethink-gives-young-cannon-a-shot-at-the-big-time/2009/11/21/1258220010927.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »
McMillan-Pittard's obstacle course
afl.com.au
By Ben Broad | Sun 22 November, 2009

AT LAST month’s NAB AFL Draft Camp in Canberra, the Sydney Swans were left so impressed by potential draftee Jasper McMillan-Pittard that senior coach Paul Roos joked about the prospect of offering the teenager an assistant coaching role.

Michael Turner, regional manager of the TAC Cup club from which McMillan-Pittard will be drafted on Thursday, wasn’t surprised.

McMillan-Pittard, Turner says, is a student of the game and is sure to be one of half a dozen Geelong Falcons that will find homes at an AFL club in next week’s draft.

In Canberra, with club recruiters and coaches looking on, he sat out many physical activities because of a knee injury sustained late in the Falcons’ season.

So the Torquay youngster made it a priority to impress any club interested in talking to him.

“I thought presenting yourself at the camp to the clubs was probably more important than the testing,” McMillan-Pittard told afl.com.au.

“I just wanted to go to each club with a little bit of knowledge and show that I had interest in the club and had some questions about what would happen if I went to a club, just so I’m prepared in case it happens.”

McMillan-Pittard won’t be selected as early as teammates Ben Cunnington or Gary Rohan - both considered certain top-10 picks - but he won’t be too far behind.

That’s pretty good going for a guy who only played a handful of TAC Cup matches last season.

“I think someone’s going to have to commit pretty early to get him because he’s the one with the bullet,” Turner said.

McMillan-Pittard didn’t win a mountain of possessions this season like Cunnington, nor does he have the knack to do the uncanny from week to week like Rohan.

So what is it that has AFL recruiters licking their lips, with one club seemingly set to use a late first-round pick on the smooth mover?

It’s more the glimpses he has shown - and the rawness on display - that most appeals.

By his own admission, the 18-year-old still has “a bit of development to go”.

He’s still growing but already stands 186cm. Yet he only weighs around 72kg - meaning he’ll be one of the lighter players selected in the draft.

Likened to Andrew Mackie, McMillan-Pittard is an attacking half-back who has also played on the wing for the Falcons.

A mad Saints fan, he also models himself in part on Sam Gilbert and Nick Dal Santo.

“I follow them pretty intently so it was a bit disappointing this year - especially living down here [in Geelong],” he said.

One day he hopes to move into the midfield, like Dal Santo, where he will be able to use his deadly left boot more regularly.

Recruiters rate his kicking, along with his pace, as his main attributes.

However, unlike many lefties, the Vic Country representative isn’t too reliant on his dominant side.

Father Michael Pittard ensured his son practiced on both sides of his body since his early days.

“There are not that many left-footers who are good on their right so it’s something that I guess I’m proud to say I can do,” McMillan-Pittard said.

“Ever since I was three years old Dad would have me practising, trying to ensure I was good on both sides - both hand and foot.

“At training I’d try to use it [my right foot] the majority of the time and try to use it under a range of different circumstances, not just in kick-to-kick … I’ll go onto my left the majority of my time but it’s good knowing that if I need to get out of traffic or something, I can just swing onto my right foot and it’s not much of a problem.”

Three years ago McMillan-Pittard was a Calder Cannon but decided on a sea change, shifting down the Surf Coast with his father and step mother.

Adjusting to a new school and making new friends was difficult at first, but from a career point of view the defender seems convinced he’s kicked a goal.

“For my footy it’s been the best move,” he said.

“I don’t know what I’d be like if I was still in Melbourne but I think I’ve been able to put my head down a bit more down here and, being down by the beach, it helps with recovery and all that sort of thing. It’s definitely been a positive.”

Now, with just a few days until d-day, the lightly-framed young gun must simply play the waiting game.

He’s made one big move before - from Melbourne to Torquay - and knows it’s highly likely another is in store.

But he doesn’t mind, so long as he gets to follow his dream.

“I just want to hear my name get called out,” he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87337/default.aspx