Author Topic: 2009 potential draftees  (Read 18552 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Young gun Morabito showing all the Goodes (afl)
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
Young gun Morabito showing all the Goodes
By Luke Holmesby | Thu 01 October, 2009

ANTHONY Morabito is a virtual certainty to be taken high in November’s NAB AFL Draft.

So you would suspect he would be fine with being able to sit back and watch on as other players nervously test themselves in front of the 16 AFL clubs.

But the Peel Thunder teenager, who is still recovering from a quad injury sustained five weeks ago, says he is experiencing some frustration at not being able to show his wares at the NAB AFL Draft camp in Canberra.

“It does [frustrate me] actually," Morabito said.

"I want to impress in front of all the AFL clubs like everyone else is doing. It would be a good way to end the year.”

He certainly has not gone unnoticed, however, speaking in length to Fremantle, Melbourne and North Melbourne among others.

He said he has not given too much thought to his possible home for 2010.

“I don’t really want to think about it. The more you think about it the more it worries you to death", he said.

While most players would be desperate to stay in their home state, the tall midfielder has already experienced life outside his comfort zone having moved from home town Bunbury to Mandurah to play for Thunder and study commerce at university.

“I’m easy. I don’t really care. I get asked that question a lot and it is something you can’t control.”

The 190cm midfielder spent much of his junior career playing in key positions, but his WAFL career coincided with a move on the ball; a transition that has enhanced his draft prospects.

“I wasn’t one of the bigger bodied ones so I had to play in the midfield," he said.

"It’s really good, it gives you a different perspective on the game. You’re not leading up towards the play, you’re running towards the goal. I enjoy that a lot more.

The prospect of an athletic tall midfielder would be of tremendous interest to most clubs and Morabito has taken to the role seamlessly, even earning the nickname ‘Goodesy’ for his similarity in appearance and performance to dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes.

“I guess back in under-16s one of the boys thought I played and looked a bit like him. I got stuck with that.”

It’s not the worst comparison for an AFL recruit to carry.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85568/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
John Butcher article (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:43 AM »
Bulldogs face big call
Jay Clark From: Herald Sun Fri Oct 02

IT SOUNDS ironic, but the player believed to be the best key forward in this year's draft could fall in the Western Bulldogs' lap.

Gippsland goalkicker John Butcher was considered a likely top-three pick as late as last month, but, in a sudden slide, he is likely to fall outside the top 10 in next month's national draft.

The Bulldogs have been in desperate need of a key forward over the past two seasons and will be faced with an intriguing decision of whether to select Butcher if he is still available when their first pick arrives at No. 15.

As the Dogs have all but secured Sydney discard Barry Hall, and have taken key-position players with their first-round picks in the past two drafts, they too, may pass him up.

Butcher, who has attracted comparisons to St Kilda big man Justin Koschitzke, has elite contested marking skills and is considered quick and agile for his height (197cm).

He kicked 30.18 in the TAC Cup this year but revealed yesterday he was was unhappy with his season, after an injury-ruined pre-season and quiet national championships.

"The year has been a little bit disappointing probably, but it didn't start the best because I had pre-season (hip) surgery," Butcher said.

"It sort of wrecked my whole pre-season and I just got back for Round 1 and it put me right behind the eight ball from the start.

"Some games I've been happy with, but there were others where I probably haven't contributed as much as I would have liked."

Butcher, 18, said he was unfazed by the scrutiny of him this season and in particular his set-shot goalkicking, which has attracted criticism.

"My goalkicking stats have come out better than last season and that's something I have been working hard on," he said.

"We have identified a few little deficiencies that hopefully will get ironed out."

Butcher has been followed closely during this week's draft camp in Canberra, with mystery surrounding where he will go in the draft order.

The self-confessed country boy has also overcome stress fractures in his back two years ago and said he was excited about the prospect of joining an AFL club.

"That's something I'm really looking forward to - a full and proper pre-season so I can hit the gym, which is something I haven't really done just yet," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/bulldogs-face-big-call/story-e6frf9if-1225781845755

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pair of country gems - Aaron Black and Jo Dare (Adelaide Advertiser)
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 05:00:03 AM »
Pair of country gems
Jay Clark | October 03, 2009 11:30pm

ALMOST every October, an AFL draft hopeful comes from the clouds. This year there are two of them.

Until mid-season, few recruiters would have taken any notice, or perhaps even heard of, Geelong Falcons backman Jo Dare and Peel Thunder key forward Aaron Black.

But with sizzling second halves to their seasons, the two quintessential country boys - who both missed the national championships - have gone from small blips on the AFL draft radar to a boom.

Black, who lays carpet for a living in Bunbury, is a powerful, 193cm goalkicker.

After kicking bags of six and seven majors in the wet in the WAFL Colts in June, he has soared into first-round calculations.

"I was a bit surprised." Black said.

"This time last year I wasn't even thinking about the AFL, and even when I got my first letter from an AFL club, I was very happy. But it seemed a bit far-fetched. A lot of eastern states clubs don't know too much about me."

The 188cm Dare, who milks cows most days on the family dairy farm near Colac, is top-30 material.

Even when he started to play well mid-year, it seemed he would still be overlooked, as his draft age was incorrectly listed in the TAC Cup record.

"People thought he was 17 and not eligible, until the mistake was spotted," said national talent manager Kevin Sheehan.

"He is just so beautifully composed when he has the ball and he has such strong hands. They were measured in the top 10 per cent of the draft camp - a typical dairy farmer, who's a really good, hard, tough kid."

Likewise, Black was elevated into the Thunder's seniors and quickly made his way into the team's best as a mobile ruckman.

He tested sensationally at the AFL draft camp. One recruiter said he was possibly the best key forward available.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,26162095-5016212,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Morabito concedes AFL career could start outside WA (PerthNow)
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 05:01:55 AM »
Morabito concedes AFL career could start outside Western Australia
Kim Hagdorn, chief football writer
October 03, 2009 06:30pm

WA'S most likely first draft pick, Anthony Morabito, has a burning preference to play from his home state, but concedes his AFL career could start elsewhere.

Morabito turns 18 later this month and is widely tipped to be taken by Fremantle if he survives Melbourne's first two choices and Richmond at No.3.

The dashing midfielder has been compared to Sydney Swans superstar Adam Goodes.

"That's the question that's being thrown at me at the moment, but I guess if I aspire to play in the AFL I'll have to get used to playing everywhere and tough out any situation that confronts me," he said.

"Moving over east I'd have to be mentally strong and hopefully that would show through in my football.

"But the transition through to life as an AFL footballer would naturally be better staying at home and playing for a club in WA ... but at the end of the day it's not really my decision."

Morabito and his manager, Colin Young, have told eastern states clubs he would prefer to stay at home.

Brilliant young rover Tom Scully appears certain to be Melbourne's first choice with its priority pick and classy South Australian Jack Trengove the Demons' next pick at two. Tough on-baller Dustin Martin looks likely to head to the Tigers with their first pick.

Morabito denied there had been any attempt to hinder any club potentially taking him at next month's draft.

"I wouldn't say we've tried to work around the process at all," he said.

"We've just been honest with them and said that we think I want to play my best footy. You can't manipulate the draft.

"You have to commit for two years and it's like anything once you get there, wherever that is, you just get on with it and see where it takes your life."

Morabito is expected to step straight into whichever club he joins from the beginning of next season.

He was a popular target among all clubs at this week's draft camp without undertaking the rigorous fitness and skills testing that 75 of the nation's finest teenagers endured for three days at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.

The Peel Thunder and All-Australian under-18s player is in the final stages of recovering from a thigh strain that has curtailed any training for six weeks.

Consultation with camp organisers and his Peel physiotherapist meant he did not participate in drills but still attended the camp, where he was carefully analysed by all 16 clubs.

He is a raging West Coast Eagles fan, along with his father, while his brother and mother are avid Fremantle supporters.

Morabito believes he can step straight into a gruelling AFL training program immediately after he is drafted late next month.

"I think so, after I've had a full league training program with Peel this year," he said. "That's like a mini apprenticeship, I guess.

"It's obviously not full-on AFL training and definitely not as regular at AFL level, but it's a good grounding and I'm definitely ready for what's in front of me."

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26160056-5005401,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jake Melksham article (AFL site)
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
Melksham enjoys the best of both worlds
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby | Fri 23 October, 2009

IT IS a battleground that has rarely seen compromise.

Recruiters and potential players have long had to wrestle with the problem of school football vs TAC Cup.

The Under 18s competition is the elite breeding ground for the AFL but private schools take great pride out of their long-term rivalries and want a return on six years worth of (largely tuition-free) schooling.

Jack Watts, Chris Judd and Luke Ball all spent barely any time in the TAC Cup because of school commitments but all were good enough to be taken in the first three picks of their respective years.

Other players tied to schools have a harder time standing out but Jake Melksham seems to have managed it well.

Melksham spent much of this year sharing his duties between TAC Cup side the Calder Cannons and his school side Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School in the AGS.

He said it can be easy to be overwhelmed by the many commitments but it was just a question of prioritising.

“You’ve just got to keep on top of your time management skills and keep organised. It is really important so it was pretty hard to go from one club to another if you weren’t organised so I made sure I kept on top of that,” Melksham said.

“You can still get a bit of a run around. The standard (of school football) is not as high but it’s just footy.”

Melksham had a stellar season and was exceptional in this year’s TAC Cup premiership for the Cannons, gaining 24 possessions and being awarded the TAC Medal for best on ground.

The award put the 18-year-old in exclusive company - AFL stars Anthony Rocca, Brent Harvey, Adam Goodes, Amon Buchanan, Brock McLean and Dale Thomas having won the medal in previous years.

It was far from Melksham’s only eye-catching game for the season. A strong finish to the year with the Calder Cannons had many experts tipping him to be a first-round selection.

He is as unsure as anyone about where he will go in the draft but he says he had plenty of interest from AFL clubs at the recent NAB AFL Draft Camp.

By the second day at the camp, Melksham had already spoken to Carlton, Geelong, the Western Bulldogs, Brisbane Lions and Richmond.

“Going by all the interviews, they were pretty much all the same. There were some interesting questions and some pretty basic ones as well. I think there was a little bit of interest there but nothing too specific,” he said.

Melksham had been preparing for the draft camp for months but says he was still surprised by the level of scrutiny on the young players.

“There were a lot of people in the gym while we were doing the testing," Melksham said.

"At the start I was getting pretty anxious and nervous but towards the end of it, once you got through it, it was pretty good.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86326/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Brad Sheppard (afl site)
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »
Meet the draftees: Brad Sheppard
afl.com.au
Tue 27 October, 2009

Height: 186cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 23/05/91
Recruited from: Wesley College

Bio: Rebounding defender with terrific ball-winning ability. Strong performer for WA at NAB AFL U18 Championships receiving All-Australian honours. Good user by both hand and foot

Matt Burgan's draft prediction: Pick 7-20

Watch Brad Sheppard in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50816/brad+sheppard+highlights/default.aspx

What type of player are you?
A running player with the ability to play half-back/half-forward and in the middle. I’ve just started to play in the midfield with East Fremantle.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Sam Fisher and Corey Enright because of their ability to set up a lot of run out of defence resulting in a lot of forward attacks.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
The ability to play on talls or smalls. I can run and carry the ball, have good skills, versatility and pace.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Opposite-side foot skills, sustained four quarter efforts and I want to keep working on my strength and fitness.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Fremantle because my family supported a WA team close to home.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My dad, because he has always been a big part of my football life and coached my club team for five years. He gives me good constructive advice on how I could improve to become a better player.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86362/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2009 potential draftees - Andrew Hooper article (afl site)
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
Rebel pushes his cause
By Luke Holmesby | Wed 28 October, 2009

DRAFT prospect Andrew Hooper is well aware that his size, 172cm and 78kg, is not what AFL recruiters generally are looking for.

So Hooper, who won the Larke Medal for best player at the NAB AFL Under 18 championships, was determined to prove his worth by attending last month's NAB AFL Draft Camp despite straining a calf two weeks earlier.

Potential top-five draft picks Tom Scully and Anthony Morabito sat out of the camp as they nursed injuries but Hooper knew he didn’t have that luxury.

“It was definitely important. For my size, I thought it was really important to do everything properly. I was happy to get myself right and hopefully I can be lucky enough to get picked up,” he said.

“There was a chance I’d miss out. They thought I wouldn’t be able to do it. I’ve done everything to prepare for it and did it well."

While Hooper, who played with the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup, performed admirably at the camp and showed at the championships that he can win his own ball, the lifelong Richmond supporter is well aware that his size and shape may count against him in the end.

“It could. I can’t do anything about my height. You’ve got to have that ability to get the football and hopefully you’re lucky enough to get picked up. We’ll see what happens,” he said.

“My leadership’s pretty good, also my decision-making; running through packs and being an in and under player. I can kick both sides. We’ve always got improvement to do and I always focus on that.”

The 18-year-old still had plenty of interest at draft camp from AFL clubs, talking to Carlton, Adelaide and the Sydney Swans. He admits the whole draft camp experience was a bit overwhelming.

“It’s a fair bit to take in. I was a bit nervous to start with. When I got into it, it was pretty relaxing. You do your testing and relax and get on with the next thing you’ve got on.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86435/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: David Astbury (afl site)
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
Meet the draftees: David Astbury
afl.com.au
Wed 28 October, 2009

Height: 193cm
Weight: 79kg
DOB: 26/02/91
Recruited from: Tatyoon

Bio: Lead-up forward or defender with a great set of hands. Good pace and endurance for his size with sounds skills by both hand and foot. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft prediction: 30-50

Watch David Astbury in action: http://www.afl.com.au/vihttp://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50822/david+astbury+highlights/default.aspxdeo/tabid/76/default.aspx#VideoPlayerB

An athletic and mobile tall who can play at either end of the ground. Predominantly a leading half-forward.

Nick Riewoldt because he's a hard-working half-forward who plays high up the ground similar to me when I play that position.

Athleticism, versatility, endurance and agility for a tall.

Strength and power off the mark (speed) and consistency.

Melbourne Demons. My father has supported them for his entire life and encouraged me to follow them too.

Jack Ziebell because he gave me an understanding of what is required at a more elite junior level and we trained together with great professionalism.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86432/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Sam Reid (afl site)
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
Meet the draftees: Sam Reid
afl.com.au
Thu 29 October, 2009

Height: 192cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 27/12/91
Recruited from: Wangaratta

Bio: Versatile rebounding defender who provides plenty of run from defence. Athleticism, vertical leap and speed are strengths.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 12-45

Watch Sam Reid in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/default.aspx#VideoPlayerB

Key position, athletic and versatile who can play a bit in the ruck if needed.

Nick Riewoldt as he is also a tall athletic player.

My speed for my height and my vertical leap. As well as quick hands in close with handball.

My endurance to cover as much of the ground as possible and also the ability to use my strengths.

Essendon because my brother did.

My Dad. He always gives me tips and advice as he has been in football first hand and really with footy on and off the field.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86440/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Daniel Talia (afl)
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
Meet the draftees: Daniel Talia
afl.com.au
Fri 30 October, 2009

Height: 194cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 02/10/91
Recruited from: Assumption College

Bio: Versatile key position player who can play well at either end of the ground. Clean hands and great endurance for his size are strengths. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009, winning All-Australian honours.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 8-25

Watch Daniel Talia in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50819/daniel+talia+highlights/default.aspx

I am an agile, hard working, key position tall. I play forward and down back and I think I’m quite versatile. I’m a team player and I always try to do my best for my role in a team.

Which AFL player do you resemble, and why?
I think I resemble Nick Riewoldt because he is a hard working CHF, he has similar build to myself and he played CHB as a junior in the under 18 championship. I aspire to be as good as he is.

My strengths as a footballer are my work rate (endurance), my versatility and my discipline in training and preparation.

I would like to improve my kicking, my core strength and speed off the mark.

I support Carlton. I have barracked for them since I was 4 years old and I came to support them as I liked the Carlton jumper at that age. From then on I have supported them.

My grandfather, Harvey Stevens. Harvey played for the Bulldogs '54 premiership side. He always talks to me about footy and comes to watch me play. Harvey grew up without parents, supporting a family from the age of 13. He is an absolute inspiration to me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86540/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
One giant leap - Majak Daw (Age)
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 06:45:14 AM »
One giant leap - Majak Daw
October 31, 2009

EUGENE Arocca recognises there is something of a poker game at play over a young man who, while clearly not the standout, is arguably the most tantalising prospect on the football world's radar ahead of next month's AFL national draft. When the hands are laid out on the table on November 26, the game could change forever.

Footy is yet to get a night grand final, but the first night draft might take the game somewhere it has never been. The possibility that an African-born player will be on a senior AFL list in 2010 — which even a few months ago was remote at best — is now very real indeed.

Majak Daw is a name Arocca has become increasingly familiar with, and North Melbourne's chief executive knows he isn't alone. In other football club offices, heads are being scratched and the same questions pondered. Should we take the punt? And — knowing the gateway to a whole new audience of players, fans and members that will come crashing open — can we afford to let someone else get in first?

"Majak is on our radar. Our recruiting people have spoken to him and about him and are fully aware of his talent — raw as it is — with plenty of upside," Arocca said this week.

The AFL's veteran guru of teen talent, Kevin Sheehan, saw enough of Daw's improvement in his second TAC Cup season with the Western Jets to rate that upside highly. "At 194 centimetres, with his speed, his leap, his natural athletic ability, and his potential size ... in a professional environment, you'd have a wonderful athlete in two years."

The Western Bulldogs see it too, recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple recalling a five-goal haul in mid-August against Murray Bushrangers as a landmark day in Daw's development. "He was outstanding, very exciting. That promoted him from being sort of on our list to, 'Gee, we've really got to monitor this kid'."

Dogs' football manager James Fantasia cautions that, with only four picks on draft night, a rookie-list berth might be a more realistic outcome. Yet come December, he might not still be around to take; Essendon, an acknowledged trailblazer in new football frontiers, also has an eye cocked in his direction.

A draft the experts rate as pretty much a stab in the dark beyond the first round of selections won't hurt Daw's chances. "It's very open, so one club's interpretation might be completely different to another's pretty much after the first 15," Dalrymple says. Arocca predicts that, this year more than ever at Arden Street, there will be as much debate over who North takes with its last pick as its first.

That AFL clubs are even having this conversation represents progress of unforeseen speed. Yet it is only commensurate with the story of the young man at its heart.

Majak Daw was born in Sudan and spent his childhood in the capital, Khartoum. After three years in Egypt, the family arrived in Melbourne in 2003. Now 18, it is just four footy seasons ago that Majak first put boot to Sherrin. He rated his early efforts to grasp the game "pathetic".

Yet he liked the sense of belonging football gave him, and soon began to feel part of the game as well as the team. Fantasia notes his humility and impressive qualities as a person, Sheehan his disciple and focus, and eagerness "to forge new ground for the African people by making the grade in the AFL".

Those who know him want only the best for him. Joey Halloran, a friend and Western Jets teammate, uploaded more than four minutes of highlights of Daw's 2009 season onto YouTube. When an internet poster scoffed that he was "overrated", a poor man's Nic Naitanui, he was howled down by a stream of responses with the same message: "I hope he comes to my club!"

Among the examples of his spring-heeled leap, deft tapwork in the ruck, surprisingly smooth kicking, contested marking and tackling sit two moments that stayed with Sheehan. Coming in a curtain-raiser to a Werribee-Geelong VFL game in front of a decent crowd at Chirnside Park, they underscored the instant following Daw would bring.

"It was against the Geelong Falcons, and he took the mark of the day and kicked the goal of the day," Sheehan said. "He's taken a grab and just about got a standing ovation, then a bit later he took two bounces and kicked a goal from outside 50.

"There were quite a few locals there, and they left no doubt who they were there to watch. They absolutely roared when he went near the ball."

Sheehan asked him to attend state screening of young footballers who were not invited to the draft camp earlier this month, and Daw was a standout. His 70-centimetre standing vertical jump would have put him third at the main camp in Canberra. In the beep test, the "mean" for tall forwards was 12.9, the best tall forward in Canberra 13.3. Daw managed 13.6.

His 20-metre sprint result of 3.03 seconds was also faster than the mean for tall forwards at the draft camp. Not actually being at the Australian Institute of Sport with the invited elite should not harm his chances; Sheehan notes that 20 players were drafted out of state screens last year, "so they do get up from there".

While the Bulldogs have a territorial tie to the Wyndham Vale teenager, and the Bombers have seen the broader benefits of drafting the AFL's first devout Muslim in Bachar Houli, North Melbourne is perhaps the most compelling fit. On Monday, November 23, the Roos will open the doors to their new Learning and Life Centre, a key plank in the Arden Street redevelopment that will have a strong multicultural focus. Three nights later, they could slip a blue-and-white-striped guernsey onto the perfect poster boy.

Arocca chooses his words carefully, and stresses romance cannot influence what must remain a football decision. "We would never use it as a stunt, we would never rookie or pick him purely because of his African background. At the end of the day, what he can do for his community will only be enhanced if he's able to play AFL football."

With his next breath, he betrays the tightrope being straddled. "Having said that, we have made a very bold and clear statement about our commitment to the multicultural community. We happen to sit in an area rich with people from different multicultural backgrounds, and we would certainly not ignore that when considering his raw talent."

His football department staff, Arocca says, need only look around the offices they work in to see how important that community is to North Melbourne, a club that covets new disciples more than most. "I defer to them," he says, "but I have absolute faith in their capacity to understand what we need, and what this club is all about."

If the Bulldogs — whose heartland the Daws adopted and whose colours the family wore when hosted by the AFL in week two of the finals — are the other most logical suitor, the draft order plays to the Kangaroos' advantage. They have six picks, while the Dogs have only four, and certainly would not use either of their first two. Come the last two, he might already be gone; North's last selection is pick 53.

The Roos are far better placed to deal with the challenge presented by someone who has much to learn. Two years ago, the club employed only one specialist development coach. This season there were two, who will be joined by a third next year. So long sniffed at for its nissen huts and conditions from a bygone age, Arden Street in 2010 will be up with the best footy schools in the business.

In an interview with The Age in 2005, AFL boss Andrew Demetriou said he had no doubt an African player would soon appear at the elite level, and tipped the history-maker would be Somalian. As North's football manager Donald McDonald says, it doesn't matter where he comes from — or for that matter which club takes the punt — the game simply needs to find more players.

"The bigger picture is it doesn't matter if it's us or the Bulldogs or the Bombers, it's just great for the game," McDonald says. "Yeah, it'd be fantastic for us to be there first, but hopefully he's got a fair few mates and he provides an example for all the other kids to say, 'Jeez, I'm going to follow in his footsteps.' "

For David Matthews, head of the AFL's game development arm, the essence of the tale is that those "other kids" draw from football the feeling Daw had four years ago — that they belong. "What's great about this story is it looks like there's going to be a talent outcome, but the reason is because he feels very much that footy's engaged him and involved him," Matthews says. "You see the friends he's developed, they're kids who in another generation wouldn't have even met a Sudanese person."

Majak Daw has had a welcome distraction from daydreams of what might be. The third-oldest of nine, he escaped home for Mackillop College this week to study, sat the first of his VCE final exams yesterday, and was happy to report he hadn't been too stressed by all that is on his plate.

He is hoping for high enough marks to study broadcast journalism, but the realisation that he could be offered a job making the news rather than covering it is starting to hit home. "I haven't found words to describe what it would mean," he says. "It would be the most wonderful thing that's happened so far."

He can see the bigger picture, the door that would be opened to other young men for whom football is as foreign as Australia once was to him. And he is comfortable with the idea of being the one who kick-starts the revolution.

"I reckon I've got a bit of a chance, but I'll wait and see. If it happens, I'm happy to be the first Sudanese to play AFL."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2009/10/30/1256835153144.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: James Craig (afl)
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »
Meet the draftees: James Craig
afl.com.au
Sat 31 October, 2009

Height: 195cm
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 18/04/91
Recruited from: Fitzroy

Bio: The dominant ruckman at the NAB AFL under-18 Championships for South Australia, earning All-Australian selection. Tap work at clearances is a feature of his game, as is contested marking.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 18-late

Watch James Craig in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50817/james+craig+highlights/default.aspx

I am an athletic-type ruck / key position.

Matthew Kreuzer. His follow-up efforts after a contest and ability to be a dangerous player around the ground.

Competitiveness and my attitude to all challenges.

Marking and finding more of the footy around the ground.

I support the Adelaide Crows. I support them because most of my family have supported them.

Craig Brooks - he was my junior coach at North Adelaide for four years. He taught me the importance of second efforts and one percenters.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86546/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Nathan Vardy (afl)
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »
Meet the draftees: Nathan Vardy
afl.com.au
Sun 01 November, 2009

Height: 198cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 25/06/91
Recruited from: Allies

Bio: Agile ruckman with excellent foot skills for his size. Ultra-competitive and very strong overhead. Tap work at clearances is a distinct strength. Vic Country U18 representative in 2009.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 8-25

Watch Nathan Vardy in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50820/nathan+vardy+highlights/default.aspx

Mobile ruckman and forward.

Which AFL player do you resemble, and why?
Paddy Ryder, because I feel I have similar athletic attributes.

Work rate, strong mark, efficient kick, team player.

Speed off the mark, body strength.

Carlton, because my father barracks for them.

Family, because they are the most critical but also the most supportive.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86547/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Andrew Hooper (afl)
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »
Meet the draftees: Andrew Hooper
afl.com.au
Mon 02 November, 2009

Height: 172cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 18/01/91
Recruited from: Golden Point (VIC)

Bio: Attacking midfielder/defender who wins his own football consistently. Starred for Vic Country at NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 21 disposals, including nine contested. Joint Larke Medal winner and U18 All-Australian.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 20-rookie list

Watch Andrew Hooper in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50818/andrew+hooper+highlights/default.aspx

I am an inside player that gets in and under but also an outside player that receives and runs and carries and breaks the lines. I'm also pretty quick for my size, use the ball well and love the contested ball.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Brent Harvey. He's exactly the same size as me, just finds space and his decision making is second to none. He is also a little tough nut who likes the hard ball.

Decision making, leadership, speed, skills, preparation.

My endurance, but I have been working on it through the year with extra sessions.

Richmond. I went to my first game when I was three years old and before the game I liked the mascot running around and ever since I have supported Richmond.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?
Mum and Dad, because they have supported me all the way through my football career and they're always honest with me with what I have done well and what I have to do to improve after every game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86559/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Meet the draftees: Travis Colyer (afl)
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »
Meet the draftees: Travis Colyer
afl.com.au
Tue 03 November, 2009

Height: 175cm
Weight: 73kg
DOB: 24/8/91
Recruited from: Trinity College

Bio: Attacking midfielder with a good turn of speed and tremendous poise in traffic. Strong performer for Western Australia at NAB AFL U18 Championships, winning All-Australian honours.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 15-40

Watch Travis Colyer in action: http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/50937/travis+colyer+highlights/default.aspx

A hard-working, outside midfielder who can run and carry the ball with extreme pace and speed, but who can also win the ball on the inside (contested). Also someone who can push forward and find the goals.

Chris Judd - his explosive pace off the mark, work ethic, level of skill and confidence to take the game on and change it with his ability.

Work ethic, ability to run and carry (breaking lines and taking the game on), ability to win and find the ball (contested and uncontested), general skills and ability to find the goals and kick goals from the midfield and up forward.

Defensive and physical pressure, kicking on the run at full pace (slowing down, steadying and raising my vision).

West Coast Eagles - as a child growing up supporting them as a Western Australian AFL team and following some of the great players to play for them. Followed who my family supported.

My dad. He has always supported anything I've done and with sport being a large focus in our family football was the most common winter sport. If there was anything wrong with football I could talk to him about it and gain advice.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86574/default.aspx