Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45523 times)

Jackstar is back

Re: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]
« Reply #375 on: July 14, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
and furthermore, we have a ordinary history with drafting players, so whats the point??  JON  :banghead

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #376 on: July 14, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
BOO HOO!
You want your cake and eat it too.
Its time for the RFC to be SMART and look to the future and if that makes a few on here a little sick of loosing, so what!!! Suck it up!!!!   :banghead

Seeing I have been very clear in the fact that I am ANTI-TANKING I don't think I want my cake and to eat it too ...

Whatever
You want your cake and eat it too by wanting to win now, and let me guess you want to keep winning next year too. Now I hope I am very clear here too, we are not good enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wallywink People like you live in fairyland and have for 3 decades!  :banghead FFS we need better players to compete with the clubs like St. Kilda and Geelong in the future not Fremantle and Melbourne.
Winning a few meaningless games now just to keep a couple of people like you happy is just stupid and irresponsible. Look past your own agenda for a minute and maybe we as a club will be back somewhere you might be happy with.
I know I am wasting my time with people like you but WHATEVER!!!
Maybe if we all think happy thoughts everything will change for the RFC or maybe we should get better players into our club and give ourselves a chance.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #377 on: July 14, 2009, 06:06:24 PM »
BOO HOO!
You want your cake and eat it too.
Its time for the RFC to be SMART and look to the future and if that makes a few on here a little sick of loosing, so what!!! Suck it up!!!!   :banghead

Seeing I have been very clear in the fact that I am ANTI-TANKING I don't think I want my cake and to eat it too ...

Whatever

I am anti tanking as well, and I actually beleive that the players who play each week play as if its it last game.They play to WIN
If some of you think that players go out to lose , you are totally wrong.

:banghead :banghead :banghead No wonder everyone on here thinks you are a flog! Nobody says the players go out to loose- is it that hard to work out! And if it is i will not even try to confuse you with it.
Keep up the good work Jackstar

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #378 on: July 14, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
Big Tone, what is the point to tanking? At Punt Rd there is not a winning culture, tanking to get a number 1 or 2 pick to Punt Rd only reinforces that losing culture.We need  to win games in order be financially viable and to create a winning culture. Essendon have never had a number 1 pick and have won a flag this millenium, Sydney were recently in two gfs and won one without having to tank, Port Adelaide, Brisbane same story. St. Kilda havent won a flag yet despite all their early picks, ditto Carlton, Freo, ourselves. Success breeds success, not losing!

Ramps

« Reply #379 on: July 14, 2009, 07:15:01 PM »
Big Tone, what is the point to tanking? At Punt Rd there is not a winning culture, tanking to get a number 1 or 2 pick to Punt Rd only reinforces that losing culture.We need  to win games in order be financially viable and to create a winning culture. Essendon have never had a number 1 pick and have won a flag this millenium, Sydney were recently in two gfs and won one without having to tank, Port Adelaide, Brisbane same story. St. Kilda havent won a flag yet despite all their early picks, ditto Carlton, Freo, ourselves. Success breeds success, not losing!

This is what the rest of us who want to tank call the 9th strategy. Finishing 9th has ruined Richmond. Winning meaningless games has ruined Richmond. We are stupid if we dont tank. With Gold Coast and West Sydney coming into the comp, you strategy is one that would see us get no where near a flag for the next 20 years. TANKING is the only hope for us- that and getting a decent coach like Malthouse. Thats how we can change the culture. By bringing in kids like Scully who bleeds yellow & black and wants to play for us. By bringing in 3 or 4 top quality kids to replace the aging players who have never brought any success to Richmond anyway and by bringing in with them a coach like Malthouse who can teach them the right way and Inspire Deledio and Tambling to improve further.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #380 on: July 14, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »
History has never suggested Tanking works. Why would you try again after a failed one?

Adelaide have NEVER tanked. NEVER. Have just drafted well and have magnificent football department. Same with Port. Even with Essendon they have no top 5 draft picks ripping up the competition. It's all well developed youngsters.

Tanking has never won a premiership.

Hawthorn is the only team with concessions that have won a premiership. But I'd argue that there game plan won them the Garnd Fainl they should never have won. The invention of the rolling zone and tactics of professional free kicks and rush behind rules were taken advantage of perfectly. They also have never had a number 1 draft pick.

Nothing suggests that tanking wins you premierships. Absolutely nothing.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »
Look past your own agenda for a minute and maybe we as a club will be back somewhere you might be happy with.

My own agenda.... what would that be exactly? I'd love to know what you think my agenda actually is.

I know I am wasting my time with people like you but WHATEVER!!!

People like me?  :lol

Just because I don't agree with your tanking views you say I live in fairyland and you reckon you are wasting your time on people like me. You are entitled to your view and I'm entitled to mine.

Maybe if we all think happy thoughts everything will change for the RFC or maybe we should get better players into our club and give ourselves a chance.

So are you saying that there is absolutely no upside regarding our list right at the minute?

Whether people want to admit it or not we actually do have some very good young players at the Club now and I want them to understand that winning is what matters not tanking. I want to them to believe they can win as opposed to going through season after season thinking well it's OK to lose because the Club will get some good draft picks this year

So forgive me because I actually think that there is some upside in relation to some of the young blokes on our list. granted we have made some shocking decisions over the years but we have actually got some right.

So if that's thinking happy thoughts then I am guilty
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #382 on: July 14, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »
History has never suggested Tanking works. Why would you try again after a failed one?

Adelaide have NEVER tanked. NEVER. Have just drafted well and have magnificent football department. Same with Port. Even with Essendon they have no top 5 draft picks ripping up the competition. It's all well developed youngsters.

Tanking has never won a premiership.

Hawthorn is the only team with concessions that have won a premiership. But I'd argue that there game plan won them the Garnd Fainl they should never have won. The invention of the rolling zone and tactics of professional free kicks and rush behind rules were taken advantage of perfectly. They also have never had a number 1 draft pick.

No doubt, the post of the year.
 :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: July 14, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »

Knee jerk deluded reacting does.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #384 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »
No doubt, the post of the year.
 :thumbsup

You have never been more correct Jack.

Ramps

« Reply #385 on: July 14, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »

delusion my friend is when you win meaningless games for year on end finishing 9th and 10th and getting crap picks.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #386 on: July 14, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »

delusion my friend is when you win meaningless games for year on end finishing 9th and 10th and getting crap picks.

Delusion is when you blame it on the picks.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #387 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47:08 PM »

It's not necessarily the pick number but who you select.

pick 7 in last years draft was some kid called Daniel Rich and he aint to shabby for a crap pick :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #388 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »

It's not necessarily the pick number but who you select.

pick 7 in last years draft was some kid called Daniel Rich and he aint to shabby for a crap pick :rollin

Daniel Rich= GUN. He will win a Brownlow one day

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #389 on: July 14, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »

Define crap picks?

Brisbane didn't tank last year and picked up Rich, if they won another game may have picked up Chris Yarran who isn't anywhere near rated as Rich.

However in Melbourne and West Coasts case of tanking to get a completely separate pick is obviously an advantage. But tanking to get pick 1 over 5 as an absolutely tanking extreme - history has no evidence of this working.

Maybe tank and get pick 7, Selwood, Rioli and Rich all best 1st year players have been number 7. No team had to tank to pick up those players.

There is no word to convince me tanking works. Sure if it comes down to the last game of teh year that if you lose you get pick 3 instead of pick 4. Sure you get a slight advantage, but that still doens't convince me that it has that has significant effect to win premierships.

If we won extra game and missed out on Deledio and Tambling we could only pick up a Griffen and or Williams or Franklin. I don't think we'd be a worse side.
Go Tigers!