Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 136489 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2004, 06:08:31 PM »
We get to vote on a change to the name and colours of the Club but not the design of the guernsey. The acceptance of a new or altered design is up to the AFL as you pointed out TS.

I remembered someone once saying that members had to vote on any jumper change, but that’s obviously not how it is.

Cheers MT.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 12:06:23 AM »
Does anyone remember us wearing this little doozie against Glenelg apparently in 1978?...eek! :gobdrop

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/fbtmisc/merojumpers2.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:09:07 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
New guernsey announced today
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 04:13:40 AM »
Apparently the new guernsey will be be made public today according the tiger-talk yahoo site.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/62006

I only guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if there's two of them like has been mentioned previously. The old full sash brought back as our main guernsey plus an alternative (I reckon for trial during the preseason to see whether supporters like it).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
The full sash is back!
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 04:20:23 PM »
The sash is back
3:39:56 PM Thu 25 November, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond has reverted to the past as it looks forward to a better future under new coach Terry Wallace in 2005.

The Tigers will revert to their traditional playing strip next season - with the yellow sash returning on the back of the jumper with a white number - after having deserted that jumper at the end off 1994.

In the past decade the Tigers' famous yellow sash has not featured on the back of their jumper - instead replaced by just the yellow number for each player.

And the move has already won support from the Tigers' greatest coach - four time premiership winner Tom Hafey.

"I love the guernsey, I love it," he said at Thursday's launch of the 2005 jumper at Punt Road.

"I think people relate to those things and I think sometimes we get a bit too far away from it."

And Wallace is hoping the decision to revert to the jumper the Tigers won five premierships in between 1967-80 will inspire the current crop of players - who are desperate to improve after winning the wooden spoon in 2004.

"It's nice to see the guernsey back and some of the younger players who were showing the jumper off today (Andrew Raines and Tom Roach) were wearing the same jumper their fathers' (Geoff Raines and Michael Roach) wore."

Wallace said the jumper was part of the "tribalism" that makes Richmond supporters one of the most passionate group of fans in the country.

"I think every Richmond supporter has wanted that sash back on the jumper for a long time and to me a little bit of extra passion doesn't go astray," he said.

The Tigers also unveiled a radical silver jumper complete with Tiger head on the front, which will be worn in the Wizard Cup as part of their new sponsorship deal with Silvertop Taxis.

The return to the club's traditional jumper comes just days after the club secured two of the top teenagers in Australia in Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling in last Saturday's national draft as the positive feeling continues to build at Tigerland under Wallace.

Wallace may have only been in charge for two months and may not have even led his team into battle yet but already his appointment appears to have gone down well with Richmond fans.

Richmond chief executive Stephen Wright revealed on Thursday the Tigers' membership for 2005 is already up ten percent compared to this time last year.

"The supporters are certainly embracing the new-look Tigers for 2005," he said.

"It's even more amazing considering our membership tickets have only been on sale for three weeks so far compared to six weeks this time last year."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178855

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers revive sash of success!
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 04:22:48 PM »
Tigers revive sash of success!
3:59:21 PM Thu 25 November, 2004
richmondfc.com.au

The Richmond Football Club today announced it was going “back to the future” with its playing strip for next season.

In 2005, Richmond will don the guernsey that it wore in all its 10 league premiership triumphs – the famous black with yellow sash, front and back.

The Tigers introduced that fully-sashed jumper in 1914 and wore it with much pride, distinction and success until the end of the 1994 season. At that point, the sash was removed from the back of the jumper because of difficulties associated with deciphering the white numbers.

But, 10 years on, the sash is back – much to the delight of Richmond’s Chief Executive Officer, Steven Wright.

“I think it’s a great tradition. One of the things that separates Richmond from many of the clubs in the competition, is its great history and tradition. The black jumper with yellow sash on the front and back has been worn with great pride and great success in the Club’s past and, hopefully, will be again in the future,” Wright said.

“This is our traditional jumper, and we think it’s fantastic to bring an important piece of Richmond history into the current day, without, in any way, shape or form, taking a step backwards. In fact, it’s virtually back to the future in bringing a fantastic-looking jumper and modernising it.

“Over the past few months, we’ve been looking at a return to the traditional strip, and we’ve come up with what we believe is the ideal solution to the legibility of the white numbers on the yellow sash.”

The new-look Tiger back sash features a white number with a black key-line that enables it to be easily distinguished.

Wright has no doubt the Yellow and Black faithful will warmly embrace the return of the back sash on the jumper.

“I am sure our members and supporters will be really pleased with it,” he said.

“Another important factor to consider, from a supporter perspective, is that the jumper we’ve worn over the past decade didn’t have anything on the back. So, unless you were a player, or went out and got a yellow number sewn on, you couldn’t tell from behind that it was a Richmond jumper. Apart from the important “Drink, drive, bloody idiot” message; there was no way of identifying who you supported.

“Now, however, even if you don’t have a number on the jumper, it’s clear that you’re a Tiger – front and back . . .”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178867

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers revive sash of success!
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »

Looks really good IMO  :thumbsup (I'm talking about the guernsey Julz lol ;D). The black outline around the numbers makes them very clear to read.

Wonder what this "radical silver" guernsey looks like?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: The full sash is back!
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 04:50:37 PM »

Richmond chief executive Stephen Wright revealed on Thursday the Tigers' membership for 2005 is already up ten percent compared to this time last year.

"The supporters are certainly embracing the new-look Tigers for 2005," he said.

"It's even more amazing considering our membership tickets have only been on sale for three weeks so far compared to six weeks this time last year."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178855

Is it just me or is there endless positive news coming out of Punt Road atm.  It's only November and we are in the papers every day - for positive reasons.   :thumbsup.  What a difference it makes when you have professionals running the joint.

With a decent showing in the Wiz Cup we will threaten to reach 35K members - easily.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 05:27:43 PM »
Spot on Harry  :thumbsup.

Looks like we've finally got the right qualified people at every level within the Club all moving in the one direction who are each able to articulate their plans and inspire Tiger supporters as well as sell the Club in a positive light through the media. The momentum built up since Terry's appointment is so strong that even a blip like the stuff-up with Rex isn't able to halt it. The Club has just shrugged its shoulders, said back luck and got back on with the job this week.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers revive sash of success!
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2004, 05:37:34 PM »

Looks really good IMO  :thumbsup (I'm talking about the guernsey Julz lol ;D). The black outline around the numbers makes them very clear to read.

Wonder what this "radical silver" guernsey looks like?
LOL - you know me too well MT.  I was going to say - stuff the guernseys - taken 'em off!!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2004, 05:55:04 PM »
The sash is back  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :bow :bow :bow :cheers :cheers :cheers
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Bulluss

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2004, 10:15:40 PM »
I seen the new pre-season jumper on the TV.

It is just the same as last years, the tiger head on the front and the colour is Silver/Grey

Looks ok

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2004, 01:29:57 AM »

I LOVE IT, THE SASH IS BACK YESSSSSSSSS

Did I tell you I LOVE IT

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
 :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream :scream
 :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2004, 03:43:59 AM »
I seen the new pre-season jumper on the TV.

It is just the same as last years, the tiger head on the front and the colour is Silver/Grey

Looks ok

Thanks for that Bully. I saw it tonight on Sports Tonight when they had Richo, Hartigan, Raines and Roach doing a catwalk lol. Last year was all yellow instead of silver/grey but we canned it when the doggies ran out in their ochre colour one.

The silver one looks something like this for those who didn't see it (pardon the dodgy paint job).

Pretty plain and personally not a fan of the tiger head on the front but it's not something IMO that makes you go "OMG NO!" and it's only for the Wizz Cup.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2004, 06:17:29 AM »
Lets hope this season's guernsey isnt as easy for opposition players to lift.

What Richmond players were doing by quarter time last season ----------->  :bow

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: The full sash is back!
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2004, 08:37:16 AM »

Is it just me or is there endless positive news coming out of Punt Road atm.  It's only November and we are in the papers every day - for positive reasons.   :thumbsup.  What a difference it makes when you have professionals running the joint.

With a decent showing in the Wiz Cup we will threaten to reach 35K members - easily.

Was thinking the same thing HH - looks like the Herald Sun has become our own personal marketing machine. Wonder if the fact that TW worked there for the last couple of years and has a few mates there has anything to do with it ;)

I can't remember the last time the Tiges had this much good publicity.....our sponsors must be rapt.