Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 136502 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 05:20:28 PM »
The stronger clubs are those with a large supporter base that win premierships consistently.  Not having an alternate jumper has had no relevance to the success and the status of Collingwood and Essendon.  They would be financially even stronger if they had alternative jumpers IMO.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 05:48:04 PM »
If we were to have an alternative strip it can't be mainly black as it would still clash. The design is arbitary but it would have to be a lighter colour and the only choice is some shade of yellow if we are to keep it Y&B.

Collingwood I'd reckon have caused many new clashes themselves when they changed their jumper to the mostly black with white stripes. They should use their old "traditional" ::) white with black stripes guernsey when competing against clubs with a mostly dark coloured jumper (Us, Carlton, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Adelaide).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 10:06:23 PM »
I don't buy the arguement about Collingwood being strong and traditional and keeping their "traditional" jumper. Look at Saturday night they didn't wear their traditional jumper. They wore an alternative one. In the last 10 years they have made a number of changes to their guernsey.

Prior to Eddie coming on board when they were a financial basket case - they sold out and received extra money from adidas to wear an alternate jumper for away games. The colours might not have chnage but the design did - it had an ugly cartoon looking magpie on the front. It seems to me on this issue the Pies have selected memory loss and as such they cannot be used as example IMO.

The only team (and I am talking about Victorian clubs here) that has not changed it's jumper from it's original design is Essendon. That point was made crystal clear inlast years heritage round.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 11:11:49 AM »
The stronger clubs are those with a large supporter base that win premierships consistently.  Not having an alternate jumper has had no relevance to the success and the status of Collingwood and Essendon.  They would be financially even stronger if they had alternative jumpers IMO.

So why do it?  It comes down to ‘what are Clubs willing to do for money’.  And these days, it seems that any easy way out is a good option.

The easiest thing in the world for Clubs to do is have an alternative jumper to raise revenue.  And if they do that, what else are they prepared to ‘give up’ for money?

For me this is a far greater issue than just having an alternative jumper, because as soon as Clubs and supporters start conceding in one area, for whatever reason, the flow on effect is inevitable, even if some can’t see it.   People are now saying it’s ok to have an away strip, if it means more money for the Club.

Survival of Clubs is vital, but at what cost?  What if the Club says, we need more money, let’s go sell a couple of home games to another Club.  Or let’s move all our home games to Telstra Dome because we are guaranteed X amount of dollars?  Or let’s change our name, or …

The Clubs that have changed the most are ‘surviving’.  It hasn’t made them stronger, better, more successful or assured their existence.  It’s just bought them time and because they’re happy to take the easy money, they never set concrete foundations for a better existence and their methods ensure that they continue to struggle.

And if we’re happy to follow the lead of those who struggle, we should be concerned about the direction our Club is taking.

This competition is already unrecognisable from even five years ago and the only thing that keeps some of us even remotely interested is that we still have a Club we have an emotional attachment to, because we can identify with it.

Things change with time, but how and why they do need to be considered, to determine whether it was change for the better or just change for change’s sake.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 08:28:49 AM »
Back to the Tigers of old
By Stephen Rielly
May 21, 2004

For Richmond, the past may be the future, with the club considering a return to the traditional jumper that carried the yellow sash front and back for 82 years from 1913.

The Tigers removed the sash from the back of their jumpers in 1995, replacing the wide yellow band and contrasting white numbers with a black back and yellow numbers.

In a week in which the issue of jumper clashes became topical, with the AFL urging all clubs to produce an alternate jumper for next season, the Tigers may have their answer in tradition.

Richmond chief executive Ian Campbell said yesterday that the issue of reinstating the sash was being considered independently of the clash jumper argument but agreed that the return of the sash could differentiate the Richmond jumper from others it can be confused with from behind. Collingwood and St Kilda jumpers have largely black backs, as do Essendon's, although the Dons have kept their red sash.

"We'll go to the membership and see what they think about it but the mood at the moment seems to be split down the middle," Campbell said, referring to a poll on the club's website.

On The Footy Show last night, Magpie president Eddie McGuire said the club was preparing an alternate strip for its round-18 match with Richmond. The jumper would have a white back with black numbers.

with AAP

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/20/1085028471144.html

-------------------

Love this bit... MT have you been is discussions with the Mr Eddie ?? Isn't this what you suggested  ???  ;D ;D

On The Footy Show last night, Magpie president Eddie McGuire said the club was preparing an alternate strip for its round-18 match with Richmond. The jumper would have a white back with black numbers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 08:45:18 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 05:05:47 PM »
Love this bit... MT have you been is discussions with the Mr Eddie ?? Isn't this what you suggested  ???  ;D ;D

;D Nah more like an attempt by Eddie to divert attention way from the Pies on-field like he did last night on TFS when he started using injuries as an excuse and talked about their membership sales to change the subject. Who can forget the cofuffle he made about the missing middle stripe on their heritage guernsey last year - "We have always worn B&W stripes"  ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 05:09:56 PM »
Just on Ian Campbell. He was on SEN this morning and KB asked him about bringing back the full sash. He basically said the Club is looking at 3 strips for 2005: the current one, the traditional full sash one and a reverse coloured one. IMO it sounded like they were hoping the members would be more accepting of change if the traditional jumper was brought back at the same time as a new alternative one.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 05:25:44 PM »
Just on Ian Campbell. He was on SEN this morning and KB asked him about bringing back the full sash. He basically said the Club is looking at 3 strips for 2005: the current one, the traditional full sash one and a reverse coloured one. IMO it sounded like they were hoping the members would be more accepting of change if the traditional jumper was brought back at the same time as a new alternative one.

I got the same impression MT.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2004, 06:58:49 PM »
As was mentioned in the Fighting Tiger the Club is seriously looking at bringing back the full sash:

Tigers back sash

Richmond may have found the answer to the AFL's growing push for clubs to design alternate strips in its proud history...

For next season, the Tigers are seriously contemplating reintroducing the yellow sash on the back of their jumper, with a white number, which they abondoned at the end of the 1994 season in favor of an all-black back with yellow number.

It is believed such a move would help distinguish Richmond's guernsey from teams with dark-color backs, including Carlton, St  Kilda, Collingwood (ed.  ::) ) and Essendon.

The full-sash jumper was worn by the Tigers in their 10 premiership wins, so it has plenty of appeal from a traditionalist perspective, as well as in a practical sense as a potential 'clash' strip.

There's also thoughts being given to a third guernsey design for next season - yellow with a black sash and black number.

This reversible option also could be a clash unifrom or a pre-season strip. At this stage, the Club hasn't settled on any of the designs or, indeed, when they would be used.

Although one of hte problems in the past with the sash on the back was deciphering the white number, it's felt this time round that can be resolved by the designers.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2004, 07:03:17 PM »

Although one of hte problems in the past with the sash on the back was deciphering the white number, it's felt this time round that can be resolved by the designers.

Return back to a thinner sash (pre-1974/75) and/or at least put a thick black outline around the white numbers ;).

Bulluss

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2004, 08:31:41 PM »
I dont have a problem with an alternate strip, but maybe the members should vote on the one they like. I think we should bring the stripe back to our backs!!

Jackstar

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2004, 09:12:48 PM »
I actually like a reverse color one.
I am against going back to the orginal one.
I like our jumper at present and think the reverse might be the way to go.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 10:27:11 AM »
I beleive they should wear the current jumper for away games, our traditional, back sashed one (with a black outline around the nunbers, as MT mentioned) for home games, and an alternative, reversed, yellow based jumper for clash games a few games a year - mainly against west coast and adelaide as we seem to clash the most against them.

Introducing the 2 other jumpers next year would be great for merchandis sales.  It would also please the traditionalist as the old back sashed one is brought back.

Do it tigers.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2004, 10:43:50 AM »
I dont have a problem with an alternate strip, but maybe the members should vote on the one they like. I think we should bring the stripe back to our backs!!

I thought it was in the Club's constitution that members have to vote for any change in the jumper, yet we never got a vote when they took the sash off the back at the end of 1994.

Not that it seems to matter whether Clubs have these things in their constitution ot not, because the AFL owns the rights to the jumpers anyway.  Seems a redundant clause to have if that's the case.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2004, 04:34:09 PM »
I thought it was in the Club's constitution that members have to vote for any change in the jumper, yet we never got a vote when they took the sash off the back at the end of 1994.

Not that it seems to matter whether Clubs have these things in their constitution ot not, because the AFL owns the rights to the jumpers anyway.  Seems a redundant clause to have if that's the case.

This is what the RFC Constitution says TS:

Section 1.   PRELIMINARY

1.1     The Club is established for the objects and under the terms and conditions set out in the Memorandum of Association of the Club.

1.2     The name of the Club shall be "Richmond Football Club Limited".

1.3     The principal colours of the Club shall be yellow and black and the uniform worn shall be such as is approved from time to time by the Australian Football League in accordance with its Rules.

1.4     The name of the Club shall not be changed except by special resolution and the principal colours of the Club shall not be changed except with the approval of fifty per cent of the members present and entitled to vote at a General Meeting.

We get to vote on a change to the name and colours of the Club but not the design of the guernsey. The acceptance of a new or altered design is up to the AFL as you pointed out TS.